Grand Rapids Building Services

Grand Rapids Building Services Employer Reviews

fun work place
janitor (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 8, 2014
Pros: discounted lunchs
Cons: no free lunchs
i love working with my co workers my days at work are fun and not to stressful management can be better at communicating but overall their professional,ive learned a bunch of things for example ive learned how to change a light bulb and not the typical light bulb lol and the hardest part of my job is when i have to mop the whole kitchen floor hand mop.
unorgnized but fun and friendly people to work with
Custodian (Current Employee), Howell, MIJune 4, 2014
Pros: benefits, environment
Cons: uniforms, short lunch break, no advancement
~ General clean media center, main office, cafeteria, hallways, restrooms and setting up and taking down for breakfast. Setting up for events or any activities going on though out the day. Deliver paper to teachers work room and any mail packages. Being available during lunches to manage trash, spills and any other help that is needed. Any request from – more... the staff.
~ I have learned to have patience with children and adults, managing time when and what needs to be done in the timely manner. I learned how to extract carpet and strip and re wax floors. Learned more about customer service as well.
~ Management is great, very easy to work with and helpful when you need her.
~Co-workers most of them are also easy to work with and helpful.
~Making sure everyone is on the same page with management, co-workers and customers. Setting up the stage for concerts is difficult because it is time consuming and heavy.
~ Enjoy most about my job is my staff and students at my school. – less
nice palce to work
Team Lead (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIApril 15, 2014
A typical day at work was fun I enjoyed the work that in do with GRBS. I learned a lot of good things at GRBS. The management was nice just lack of communication. The co-workers are nice to work with they all have positive attitudes. The hardest thing about my job is the lack of communication.
O.K. job quite flexible
Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee), Holland, MIApril 8, 2014
Its your run of the mill custodial services. Not too exciting. The people i worked for were nice enough, as were those that i worked with. They highly stress attendance but there's plenty of down time.
Custodian (Former Employee), Portage, MIMarch 26, 2014
Does not offer full-time to anyone other than supervisors and leads, otherwise a good place to work.
Terrible company to work for, period
School Custodian (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMarch 16, 2014
Pros: i really can't think of any
Cons: management/the way they run business
My experience with this company was the worst. I was lied to from the beginning when they told me i would come in making so much per hr come to find out it was actually less. I had basically no training, and the management there is terrible. No one ever knows what's going on and no ones ever on the same page. Management is also very unprofessional, – more... on multiple occasions managers would tell me about other co-workers about how they were lazy and often times they would dog them out. On several occasions i was promised a bonus if i came in on short notice and when it came time to get paid i never received neither of the bonuses. Also we never had enough supplies, i was working at one building we were out of soap, and the customers keep complaining about it, i keep telling management and they did nothing about it. They also will try to over work you but unless your in management you don't get paid overtime. I actually didn't mind the job (when i wasn't being over worked) but dealing with management was driving me crazy so i had to let it go. – less
great place to work
custodian (Current Employee), Howell, MINovember 24, 2013
a great place to work great environment, great hours and staffing, good management
A horrible place to work!
Member, National Honor Roll Society (Former Employee), Garden City schoolsNovember 8, 2013
Pros: it was close to home. most of the night leads were friendly.
Cons: no healthcare for seasnonal employees. hours are cut.
Grand Rapids Building Services is a horrible place to work!
It's full of favoritism and they stay up nights thinking of ways to screw over their employees. There is no room for advancement unless you are a favored employee. I would never recommend this job for anybody.
Work in schools, it can be challenging.
Custodian Supervisor (Current Employee), Birch Run, MIOctober 28, 2013
Pros: great compnay to work for.
Cons: need more custodians hired
Today we had to set up for band concert, had to remove 6 riseres and walk them over to building next door. transport 300 chairs from high school to this new building, on top of that i have all students asking all kinds of questions, that i do have to answer, while trying to find the correct micrphone that connects to soundsystem in cafeteria. i do have – more... 2 custodians helping, but they won't finish, cause they have to start there normal work. the only hard part about job right now, is that i am short staff and can use some more help. All of the schools are short custodians, so some of us are doing 2-3 job descriptions. – less
Good job with friendly people
Part Time Nighttime Janitor (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 24, 2013
Management need a little work, but it is still somewhat solid. People are friendly. I have learned different methods on cleaning.
learned new Techniques with Cleaning machines, very enjoyable workplace.
Sorter (Former Employee), Grandville MichiganOctober 9, 2013
Pros: nice co-workers, fun, new experience, leaning new techiques.
Cons: part time, no benifits
Working for Grand Rapids Building Services was a great experience. This was my first job and my first experiences working with floor machines. My typical days were cleaning such as polishing, scrubbing walls, carpet cleaning, vacuuming, waxing, cleaning bathrooms, and taking out trash. The co-workers that I worked with were very friendly, we all got – more... along great which made the job even more enjoyable. There was not really any hard parts of my job just took my time and did a great job. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know new people, being able to help out, and working for a great company! – less
Amazing teamwork and great people to work with
Custodian (Former Employee), Gerald R. Ford AirportSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: two 10 minute breaks
Cons: low wage and no benefits for amount of physical labor provided
Working third shift I was responsible for cleaning the entrances and towers to the airport for half the time i was there and then using floor cleaning and buffering machines to clean the front, center, and concourse tiles. As a 4-5 person team my coworkers and I had to make sure all areas expected to be cleaned were cleaned at the end of the morning – more... and before people started boarding flights. My manager and supervisor were right along side us doing the work. The work was extremely physically demanding and was difficult to complete all work on time using the physically demanding machines. I liked keeping active, but after so many nights in a row it became extremely tiring. – less
janitor
Janitorial (Former Employee), Holland, MISeptember 9, 2013
Loved the people I worked with and the management was great. Always very helpful on working with college schedules.
GRBS
Assistant Supervisor Custodial work (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 24, 2013
Pros: some of the people i met
Cons: unfit management
show up work like hell and be treated unfair. To many people had family working in GRBS who the showed favor to.
i worked in building by myself
Office Building Cleaner (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MIJuly 9, 2013
Pros: it was all right
Cons: i did, n not like working by myself
they had a phone to call on if anything happen it was ok it was a company with bonus if you worked long hrs
Productive and fun workplace, monthly potlucks, supervisor seminars and retreats
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee), Mount Pleasant, MIJune 15, 2013
I love my job, the management treats everyone of it's employees like family.
enjoyed working with the customers, just a nice work environment.
Lead Custodian (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 11, 2013
Cons: no healthcare
I answered phones, set up appointments with customer. Meant alot of really nice people.
productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
janitor (Former Employee), grand rapids, miMay 27, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: short breaks
Overall I Liked the company. I liked the people and the atmosphere, I especially liked the specific building that I worked in because all of the people were very friendly.
I miss it!
Night Custodian (Former Employee), Reed City, MIMay 11, 2013
By far, one of my favorite jobs. Great company to work for! Cleaning is one thing I enjoy and excel in, so I enjoyed my job very much.
A typical day included cleaning all classrooms and bathrooms in an elementary school building. I work with two other ladies, who were a lot of laughs!
Management was easy to talk to and always willing to help.
Currently my job is as a custodian which is easiest for me to find work in right now.
Custodian (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 25, 2013
Pros: there is no set time to take a break.
Cons: work is done at your own pace.
A typical day at work for me would be helping other paople with what ever there dilemma they are faced with at that time.The typical day at my current job consists of cleaning classrooms, which may entail sweeping,dusting, emptying trash cans etc.. Whatever needs that must be met for that work day.This isn't the kind of work that I am used to but it – more... pays my rent for now. – less