Grand Rapids Building Services

Grand Rapids Building Services Employee Reviews

Average Custodial Work
Custodian (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 3, 2014
Average custodial job not to hard of a job but when I first started I was on call, however I was laid off after a week.
Keeps you very busy
Custodian (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MISeptember 1, 2014
Pros: the reconinstions that came with the job.
Cons: when you first start getting a routine going so that you get everything done.
Typical day is cleaning 25 classrooms in a Elementary School. 5 had to be deep cleaned everyday along with the head start and 2 kindergarten classes, Sweep, mop, vacuum, wash sinks, and bathrooms in rooms clean desks, chairs, white boards, black boards, walls, dust, empty trash and take to dumpster. Sweep, mop and vacuum hallways. During summer emptied rooms shampooed carpets and stripped and waxed the floors then put stuff back into the rooms and make sure all windows and doors are locked before leaving at the end of the day.
Called in to let manager know if there were any problems.
Learned how run different types of machines.
Got along with management and the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was getting everything done in 6 hours with clocking out for a half hour lunch. Most enjoyable was seeing the smiles on the kids face when I came in and the thanks yous from the staff for the nice job done.
Fun
Night Lead Custodian (Former Employee), Howell, MIAugust 21, 2014
Fun place to work if your ok with second shift. Not many coworkers you work with one on one, basically work by yourself
Loved the Job.
Custodian (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIAugust 14, 2014
Pros: breaks, pay rate, commute, hours, understanding staff
Cons: vacuuming preschool wing.
I started working as a Substitute Custodian a few days after completing training, I loved being a substitute. You would get called 3-4 hours before you shift if they needed you, it wasn't that stable. but it's work. I would work 2-3 day for 3-4 hours, luckily i lived 15 minutes away from the school I cleaned. One time I didn't work for 3 weeks and finally got called in to work for two hours, and then didn't work for another week.

I ended up getting a job as a Floor Care Tech for the same company at an elementary school, first working 6 hours a day for 5 days a week, then it got bumped down to 5 hours a day and then to 4 hours a day, because of someone with seniority wanting two extra hours a day, i didn't mind that tho, she did deserve it.

I did sweeping, mopping, vacuuming. I occasionally helped with bathrooms with my co-worker when the team leader left after my work got done and I had a half hour of work left. I loved being a sub and a doing floor care.

The co-workers where nice and my supervisor and the hiring people where nice.

The pay was $9 an hour and it was direct deposit I called in for a temp-resign to some time off because my aunt had terminal bone cancer and it had spread quickly and she didn't have much time left... She passed away about a week ago today. I called the people in HR and talked to them about coming back to work, so I will be coming back soon.
Good Company to work for
Building and Ground Maintenance (Former Employee), Redford, MIAugust 11, 2014
The company was a good company to work for. I was laid off do to the company not renewing their account with the Public School System.
Terrible place to work
custodian (Former Employee), michiganJuly 15, 2014
Unorganized.
No training.
Most of the time is spent wasting time looking for stuff.
Coworkers and managers have a poor attitude.
A very flexiable job
Cleaner (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganJune 29, 2014
I enjoy working for them. They work with your schedule if needed.
fun work place
janitor (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 8, 2014
Pros: discounted lunchs
Cons: no free lunchs
i love working with my co workers my days at work are fun and not to stressful management can be better at communicating but overall their professional,ive learned a bunch of things for example ive learned how to change a light bulb and not the typical light bulb lol and the hardest part of my job is when i have to mop the whole kitchen floor hand mop.
unorgnized but fun and friendly people to work with
Custodian (Current Employee), Howell, MIJune 4, 2014
Pros: benefits, environment
Cons: uniforms, short lunch break, no advancement
~ General clean media center, main office, cafeteria, hallways, restrooms and setting up and taking down for breakfast. Setting up for events or any activities going on though out the day. Deliver paper to teachers work room and any mail packages. Being available during lunches to manage trash, spills and any other help that is needed. Any request from the staff.
~ I have learned to have patience with children and adults, managing time when and what needs to be done in the timely manner. I learned how to extract carpet and strip and re wax floors. Learned more about customer service as well.
~ Management is great, very easy to work with and helpful when you need her.
~Co-workers most of them are also easy to work with and helpful.
~Making sure everyone is on the same page with management, co-workers and customers. Setting up the stage for concerts is difficult because it is time consuming and heavy.
~ Enjoy most about my job is my staff and students at my school.
nice palce to work
Team Lead (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIApril 15, 2014
A typical day at work was fun I enjoyed the work that in do with GRBS. I learned a lot of good things at GRBS. The management was nice just lack of communication. The co-workers are nice to work with they all have positive attitudes. The hardest thing about my job is the lack of communication.
O.K. job quite flexible
Custodial Maintenance (Former Employee), Holland, MIApril 8, 2014
Its your run of the mill custodial services. Not too exciting. The people i worked for were nice enough, as were those that i worked with. They highly stress attendance but there's plenty of down time.
Custodian (Former Employee), Portage, MIMarch 26, 2014
Does not offer full-time to anyone other than supervisors and leads, otherwise a good place to work.
Terrible company to work for, period
School Custodian (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMarch 16, 2014
Pros: i really can't think of any
Cons: management/the way they run business
My experience with this company was the worst. I was lied to from the beginning when they told me i would come in making so much per hr come to find out it was actually less. I had basically no training, and the management there is terrible. No one ever knows what's going on and no ones ever on the same page. Management is also very unprofessional, on multiple occasions managers would tell me about other co-workers about how they were lazy and often times they would dog them out. On several occasions i was promised a bonus if i came in on short notice and when it came time to get paid i never received neither of the bonuses. Also we never had enough supplies, i was working at one building we were out of soap, and the customers keep complaining about it, i keep telling management and they did nothing about it. They also will try to over work you but unless your in management you don't get paid overtime. I actually didn't mind the job (when i wasn't being over worked) but dealing with management was driving me crazy so i had to let it go.
great place to work
custodian (Current Employee), Howell, MINovember 24, 2013
a great place to work great environment, great hours and staffing, good management
A horrible place to work!
Member, National Honor Roll Society (Former Employee), Garden City schoolsNovember 8, 2013
Pros: it was close to home. most of the night leads were friendly.
Cons: no healthcare for seasnonal employees. hours are cut.
Grand Rapids Building Services is a horrible place to work!
It's full of favoritism and they stay up nights thinking of ways to screw over their employees. There is no room for advancement unless you are a favored employee. I would never recommend this job for anybody.
Work in schools, it can be challenging.
Custodian Supervisor (Current Employee), Birch Run, MIOctober 28, 2013
Pros: great compnay to work for.
Cons: need more custodians hired
Today we had to set up for band concert, had to remove 6 riseres and walk them over to building next door. transport 300 chairs from high school to this new building, on top of that i have all students asking all kinds of questions, that i do have to answer, while trying to find the correct micrphone that connects to soundsystem in cafeteria. i do have 2 custodians helping, but they won't finish, cause they have to start there normal work. the only hard part about job right now, is that i am short staff and can use some more help. All of the schools are short custodians, so some of us are doing 2-3 job descriptions.
Good job with friendly people
Part Time Nighttime Janitor (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 24, 2013
Management need a little work, but it is still somewhat solid. People are friendly. I have learned different methods on cleaning.
learned new Techniques with Cleaning machines, very enjoyable workplace.
Sorter (Former Employee), Grandville MichiganOctober 9, 2013
Pros: nice co-workers, fun, new experience, leaning new techiques.
Cons: part time, no benifits
Working for Grand Rapids Building Services was a great experience. This was my first job and my first experiences working with floor machines. My typical days were cleaning such as polishing, scrubbing walls, carpet cleaning, vacuuming, waxing, cleaning bathrooms, and taking out trash. The co-workers that I worked with were very friendly, we all got along great which made the job even more enjoyable. There was not really any hard parts of my job just took my time and did a great job. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know new people, being able to help out, and working for a great company!
Amazing teamwork and great people to work with
Custodian (Former Employee), Gerald R. Ford AirportSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: two 10 minute breaks
Cons: low wage and no benefits for amount of physical labor provided
Working third shift I was responsible for cleaning the entrances and towers to the airport for half the time i was there and then using floor cleaning and buffering machines to clean the front, center, and concourse tiles. As a 4-5 person team my coworkers and I had to make sure all areas expected to be cleaned were cleaned at the end of the morning and before people started boarding flights. My manager and supervisor were right along side us doing the work. The work was extremely physically demanding and was difficult to complete all work on time using the physically demanding machines. I liked keeping active, but after so many nights in a row it became extremely tiring.
janitor
Janitorial (Former Employee), Holland, MISeptember 9, 2013
Loved the people I worked with and the management was great. Always very helpful on working with college schedules.

Grand Rapids Building Services Salaries