Grand Rapids Community College Employee Reviews

Community Colleges offer excellent opportunities for all persons to achieve personal and career goals at the lowest cost.
Dean of Enrollment Mgmt/Registra (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 18, 2016
I was at the Community College for 20 years and wore "many " hats. I enjoyed all interactions with students & had a very inclusive mgt. style.
Pros
Assisting students of all ages to reach their personal & career goals. Interactions with faculty.
Cons
Too many meetings, unannounced changes to operations without appropriate input
Great College
Student (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 25, 2016
Going to school at Grand Rapids Community College was an honor. The education there was top notch. I began there knowing nothing about web design and development and left having expert skills in some areas. I couldn't be happier with my school.
Excellent Work Life Excellent
HR Administrative Student Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 10, 2016
Everyday I went to work happy I worked there. There was great training, advancement opportunities, benefits and job culture. You can't go wrong working here.
Great place to work for
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 31, 2016
Great place to work for. Great people to work with. A few perks work for college. Management is great. Flexibility in scheduling.
Great helping fellow students
Pros
flexibility
Cons
unable to keep working if not a student
Great environment and stellar nursing programs!
Adjunct Nursing Faculty (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 23, 2016
Teaching future nursing students is a very rewarding job. GRCC has a solid program supportive of students and faculty. You are treated with respect and welcomed by all!
Rewarding work with fellow students
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 14, 2016
The opportunity to be an English tutor was extremely rewarding, and helped me to find my passion for education. Having one-on-one sessions with fellow students allowed me to find common ground and use examples in everyday life as ways to create better writers.
Overlooks Employee Needs if not Faculty
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 10, 2016
Frequent raise and/or hiring freezes, despite college president's continued bonuses. Raise received (only one in five years) did not completely offset the rising cost of benefits (health care premiums double approximately once/year). No tuition waiver or reimbursement for limited benefit employees.
Great School
Upward Bound Data Analysis (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 28, 2016
Grand Rapids Community College is a great place to work. The benefits are amazing and the HR department is on top of everything and they are all just wonderful up there.
Grand Rapids Community College
Student Records Secretary (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 6, 2016
A typical day at work consists of deciding what tasks I can and should accomplish/take care of based upon which student workers are working that day.

I learned team work skills and how to properly divvy out tasks and responsibilities appropriately.

My supervisor is very understanding and encourages us to do our best. She puts her trust in us to handle the questions of the various students that come into the office.

The permanent staff are very skilled in their positions but are always willing to learn more and improve their system. Most of the other student workers put effort into their job and are very proactive, while the others tend to need a push to take care of their tasks.

The hardest part of the job is the bus commute I need to make to get to work (6:23 A.M. bus to arrive for a 8 A.M. shift), as well as when the office becomes packed at the beginning and end of each semester.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the people at work, as well as being able to help people understand what they need to do to solve their problems or accomplish what they need to do.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Positive Atmosphere, Supportive Staff
Cons
Irate Students, Unable to Access Work Email from Home
Very low pay
Storeroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 27, 2016
Strict guidelines, very low pay as a student employee. Director was great and there were some perks when scheduling classes.
Very Flexible
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 3, 2016
I set up my own hours for tutoring based on when I was on campus and in between my own classes. Tutoring allowed me to keep my skills sharp and to hold on to the knowledge learned in the classroom.
Pros
set my own schedule
Cons
student employment - pays little
Excellent Institution
Instructor (Adjunct) (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 9, 2016
Excellent Institution - a joy to work there! I have always enjoyed being there. Great place to work and enjoy work/life balance.
Pros
Professional Employees
Cons
Fun and exciting working environment
Assistant Coach (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 25, 2016
I helped coach and mentor the team.
Scheduled study tables, classes, extra tutoring sessions.
Helped supervise during practices and games.
Productive and fun workplace with a lot of art supplies to work with
Resource room Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 24, 2015
Interacting with other students afforded an opportunity for them and myself to bounce ideas off each other.
I helped students prepare educational poster board stories that were presented in class.
I made sure all unused supplies were back in designated areas,
Informative and fun
Student Support Desk (Current Employee) –  Holland, MINovember 12, 2015
Sometimes it's a slow a day or a fast day. Co- workers are great. The hardest part can be when you can't help a customer sometimes due to restrictions based on job title. The enjoyable part is you learn everyday.
Pros
learning experience and get to do homework on the job.
Cons
N/a
Productive fun place to work
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand rapids, MIOctober 24, 2015
Really enjoyed working at GRCC, professional but fun. Great learning experience. Education is very important for advancement here.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Need advance education to move up
Great school
Employee Events & Wellness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 18, 2015
Great school, great value, good people. Great faculty and staff. Student focused, always improving service for customers and innovative thinking. Hard working employees.
A nice place to work!
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  143 Bostwick, Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 12, 2015
Adjunct instructor, teach business and political science courses. The college was a really nice work place. The job offered good training on equipment, and speedy on providing information. There was opportunity to advance. As an adjunct instructor, I was not could not get promoted, needed to apply as a new applicant for higher level jobs. The college became more adjunct instruction then full time staffers. It worked in the favor of the Community College. I enjoyed the adjunct position and doing some volunteer work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great work environment.
Cons
As adjunct, hard to get into higher position in the organization.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 30, 2012
I teach a variety of fitness/wellness classes at GRCC I love my students They are all ages and come from a variety of backgrounds. I wish I could work there full-time but that doesnt seem available at this time or in the near future. I love the people I work with I am very happy there its just not full time. I love working and motivating people to enjoy a fit and healthy life style.
Pros
students and co-workers
Cons
not full time
Grand Rapids Community College is a Great Place to Learn and Work
IT PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 5, 2012
Grand Rapids Community College is a great institution of higher learning. It serves its community well by offering a variety of educational opportunities. As both a graduate and employee of the college, I am proud to be associated with it.
Pros
great benefits and great pay if you're a faculty member.
Cons
budget cuts have made reasonable pay raises hard to come by.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Rapids Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5