Grand Rapids Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good job
Department of Public Safety (Officer) (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 18, 2017
Great as a career jump starter. Wouldn't recommend long term as path to advancement is extremely uncertain. Some workers in upper level positions were moved up quicker than others with no record of exceptional work.
Benefits
Cons
Low wage
GRPS IT - It doesn't get much better
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 20, 2017
Supporting the Staff and Children of Grand Rapids Public Schools was a pleasure and fun. GRPS is staffed wth friendly and diverse people in each building.
Pros
Flexible for personal/family events.
Cons
No seeming path to advance.
Working with a nice crew
Utility production (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 15, 2017
A typical work day is preparing the lunch for the next day I Learned how to run the resigester The management is good. The culture is mixed with all races. The hardest part of the job is leaving the most enjoyable part is seeing the students.
Interesting experience
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 14, 2017
Worked for the Public Schools for 9 years and it gave me the experience of working with a diverse student body as well as staff. The environment is very relax but the low wage is the biggest reason for leaving.
Busy Busy Busy
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 26, 2017
Definitely a change in work environment, very busy, your day goes by so fast. It is a great feeling to be around students and being there to watch them grow!
Pros
Working with many people and cultures.
Cons
Short breaks
Depending on role/position can be a rewarding, fulfilling and lifelong career environment
Title 1 Coordinator & Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 8, 2017
Work and time demands can be demanding and emotionally taxing however the reward of administering and coordinating help for families and need is fulfilling and necessary.
Working in an economic, racial and cultural diverse environment with families with a variety of social backgrounds is inspiring and compelled me to pursue many social justice causes. This was the most enjoyable part of my position.
The most difficult factor was the lack of district support and the inability to provide the help needed to do this job effectively.
I spent a fair amount of time out of the office meeting with various agencies and neighborhood groups to better the lives of our many families and students in need.
Pros
The ability to affect many struggling individuals, benefits, office environment
Cons
Lack of support, understanding and communication with school administration
Great schools and staff, but terrible administration at Franklin Campus
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 7, 2017
I spent many years teaching for the district and loved the children and my colleagues. Unfortunately, administration at Franklin campus is out of touch with reality and have no respect for teachers that devote their entire life to the children and families of GRPS. They are losing qualified and highly qualified teachers every year due to their lack of respect. I was a highly qualified, hardworking, passionate teacher who gave 12 years of service to the district and left due to the lack of professionalism exhibited at Franklin Campus. It's so unfortunate and sad that the resignation process is so easy and that the administration doesn't even follow-up with those who resign. So sad, GRPS!
Pros
Hardworking teachers who are underpaid
Cons
Overpaid administration not qualified to do the job
Great place to work with opportunities for growth, advancement.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 7, 2017
Working for the Public Relations Department part-time offered a great variety of jobs so never became mundane. Fellow staff members were friendly and helpful. Nice environment with great administration.
Highly Functional and Effective for Students
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 6, 2017
Inclusive model of therapy provision provided highly effective and functional activities for young students with speech and language impairments as well as social and behavioral difficulties.
Good health insurance, stable place to work until your retirement
Teacher Assistant and one to one corresponding (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 27, 2017
A typical day at work depends , what teacher and principals you are working with. Assist students who are experiencing difficulties ,was one of the most challenging and supportive experience, I had been done in my life .
Pros
A lot resources for teaches and the students as well.
Cons
not to many snow days
N/a
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 6, 2017
The most desirable place to work for if you have a passion to mentor a diverse based of students and parents who lives and or work within the surrounding Grand Rapids communities.
Pros
Student Mentorship
Cons
N/a
Big District/Big Heart
ECSE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 30, 2017
Grand Rapids Public Schools has always been driven to remain at the top of the game. Constantly faced with changes GRPS maintains a work staff of highest quality.
Pros
Big District
Cons
Big District
Staff and Children are fun to work with.
CCW (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 18, 2017
I worked in a classroom. I loved the job, but the pay is next too nothing. Administration makes too many mistakes with your pay and no one is hold accountable.
Cons
administration
Terrible work environment
Director of Management Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 3, 2017
Leadership has no clue on anything. Everyday is fly by the seat of your pants and make up the rules as you go along.

Only place I ever worked where I felt reverse discrimination. Cronyism and preferential treatment for people of African American descent was extremely evident.

Relationship between the School Board and senior leadership was contentious and detrimental to the operation of the district. Very hostile working environment.
Unappreciative Management and Administrative Staff
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 16, 2017
I worked for GRPS for 20 years and was forced to resign because of jealous, lying underhanded management and administration staff. I would encourage educated, dedicated and passionate individuals to apply elsewhere. You will waste your time working for a district who does not value or appreciate individuals who are highly educated and dedicated to students. Administration only cares about politics and dollar signs. Administration is only out for themselves and don't give a flying fig about students. It's all a facade. Even if they doubled or tripled my salary, I would never for them again. Corrupted.
Pros
Students and families, frequent breaks off
Cons
No one is accountable for the dirt administration gets away with
No Growth oppurtunity
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 10, 2017
I would look elsewhere for a good career and job. They do not promote or treat employees very well. The blatant disregard for tax payer money is very hard to watch.
Pros
Time Off
Cons
I love the school that I work at
Preschool Itinerant Aide (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 13, 2017
I love the school that I work at but I am not to fond of the administrative staff at Franklin Campus.I work with all the students and does many roles.
Pros
Staff I work with at the school
Cons
Pay
Doing the best with current circumstances, Mindsets Matter
K-5 Visual Arts Educator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MichiganFebruary 4, 2017
Each school has a different climate based on leadership. I have taught at a hand full of school buildings and am most fulfilled and supported at Cesar E. Chavez. I am fortunate to work under a great administrative staff of principal and vice principal. The biggest challenges lie in a shortage of staff due to supposed budget cuts. There are a lot of students that benefit from smaller group instruction and one-on-one relationship building. It would be great to feel like everyone had the time and financial support to plan, collaborate and implement amazing ideas/ opportunities for our diverse students, while also enjoying a meaningful personal life balance.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the progress that students make and the joy it brings to them and their families.
Pros
Our professional development is quality and engaging, a unifying plan for district has made GRPS stronger
Cons
short staffed, underpaid, underfunded.....who is really to blame for this though?!
A good place that really cares for student needs.
Non-Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 7, 2017
The work is strenuous at times but it is very rewarding. I learned to manage conflict between students very well. The hardest part of the job was knowing that you could not do much to help the students with academics outside of school hours.
Where are all the reviews that used to be here??
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 11, 2016
Current and former teachers' reviews are gone. Four others remain, hmmmmm. I suspect the reviews were reported. What remains is a little one sided, with little discussion if any about the poor salaries and poor administration.
Pros
Intelligent, hardworking teachers
Cons
Frozen salary, nepotism, admin without proper educational training and experience