Grand Rapids Public Schools Employee Reviews

Unappreciative Management and Administrative Staff
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 16, 2017
I worked for GRPS for 20 years and was forced to resign because of jealous, lying underhanded management and administration staff. I would encourage educated, dedicated and passionate individuals to apply elsewhere. You will waste your time working for a district who does not value or appreciate individuals who are highly educated and dedicated to students. Administration only cares about politics and dollar signs. Administration is only out for themselves and don't give a flying fig about students. It's all a facade. Even if they doubled or tripled my salary, I would never for them again. Corrupted.
Pros
Students and families, frequent breaks off
Cons
No one is accountable for the dirt administration gets away with
Where are all the reviews that used to be here??
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 11, 2016
Current and former teachers' reviews are gone. Four others remain, hmmmmm. I suspect the reviews were reported. What remains is a little one sided, with little discussion if any about the poor salaries and poor administration.
Pros
Intelligent, hardworking teachers
Cons
Frozen salary, nepotism, admin without proper educational training and experience
A good place that really cares for student needs.
Non-Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 7, 2017
The work is strenuous at times but it is very rewarding. I learned to manage conflict between students very well. The hardest part of the job was knowing that you could not do much to help the students with academics outside of school hours.
Doing the best with current circumstances, Mindsets Matter
K-5 Visual Arts Educator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MichiganFebruary 4, 2017
Each school has a different climate based on leadership. I have taught at a hand full of school buildings and am most fulfilled and supported at Cesar E. Chavez. I am fortunate to work under a great administrative staff of principal and vice principal. The biggest challenges lie in a shortage of staff due to supposed budget cuts. There are a lot of students that benefit from smaller group instruction and one-on-one relationship building. It would be great to feel like everyone had the time and financial support to plan, collaborate and implement amazing ideas/ opportunities for our diverse students, while also enjoying a meaningful personal life balance.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the progress that students make and the joy it brings to them and their families.
Pros
Our professional development is quality and engaging, a unifying plan for district has made GRPS stronger
Cons
short staffed, underpaid, underfunded.....who is really to blame for this though?!
Very busy and fun place to work.
Financial Accountant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 11, 2016
Busy with phone calls from internal departments, buildings and external companies and organizations. Process purchase requisitions, payments, journal entries and building use forms. Analyze, report, assist and make recommendations for the department budgets. Assist with financial reports to the Board of Education monthly and for our yearly audit. Management and staff are great to work with. Learning about construction projects and reporting due to new funding. The department is extremely busy so we have to be organized and flexible to handle everything. I really love what I do!
Pros
Variety of tasks and challenges.
Cons
Funding from the state.
No Growth oppurtunity
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 10, 2017
I would look elsewhere for a good career and job. They do not promote or treat employees very well. The blatant disregard for tax payer money is very hard to watch.
Pros
Time Off
best working experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 11, 2016
I've gained all my public speaking skills from this job , learning how to deal with people . This job was the beginning of all the jobs i have gotten, it was a stepping stone .
Pros
Flexible
Family time
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 29, 2016
Enjoyed the interaction of special needs kids. Enjoyed transporting sports teams to various functions and games. Before privatization GRPS had a great benefits package. Working here allowed for summers off to spend time with my kids.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Limited advancement oppurtinities
Challenging
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 27, 2016
Every year was a toss up because you never knew if you were going to have a job in the fall. There was no accountability, irrelevant training's and no guidance in my position. I basically took the liberty to make up my own events and duties. I loved the relationships I built with students. I did learn a lot about student behavior and resources to help them be successful.
Pros
Great student relationships, great benefits, PTO, fun student trips
Cons
Poor supervision, laid off every school year, disgruntled staff
Work schedule
Administrator /Attendance (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 14, 2016
Having the summer off to have and spent family time and work with my own children with positive development and extra learning such as music, arts and camping.
Pros
Family time
Cons
Bidding to position each year
Great place to with community
Student Support & Reform Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 26, 2016
Great place to work if your about helping children and parents. As it is a big system, things take a little time, but somethings can happen in an instance.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 22, 2016
My position at this company was purely volunteer work. I did it to help students who need a positive male role model in their life and to help a teacher whom I met at work. Very rewarding experience
"Lunch Lady"
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 30, 2016
I served hot lunch to students, as well as, monitored students during three different lunch hours, cleaned eating areas, and monitored students out on the playground.
great company to work at
Secertary Assitant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 17, 2016
worked with Microsoft word,excel,power point,also printed bulletins cleaned around the church and prepared space for sundays. effectively
Pros
great staff all over
Cons
short brakes
I enjoy working with youth, although it can be challenging at times
Dean Transportation (Current Employee) –  900 Union AvenueJanuary 25, 2016
I really like working for Dean Transportation, however it can be a little annoying when my hours fluctuate. I prefer a guaranteed 40 hours minimum and I don't always get it. I also need affordable benefits and full time year round employment.
Pros
Enjoy driving and interacting with children
Cons
unsteady hours, no benefits
Urban school district; showing annual improvements.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 29, 2016
Facilities better than most outsiders would expect. Teachers are smart, hard-working, and are in teaching for the right reasons. Administrators are very good. Admin staff works as hard as any other district in the area. Current superintendent has made good progress in 5 year stint. District voters recently approved multi-million dollar bond issue aimed at facility upgrades - very encouraging.
Greatest challenges start with spotty student attendance. Lack of parent involvement follows closely behind as a top concern. On a daily basis, teachers see the manifestation of these issues in student lack of interest, engagement, academic grit, and ability to turn work in on time - or even at all. Scores on high-stakes testing almost always follow on the low end of the typical "achievement gap" range.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction gained when success is attained. Almost every relationship built with individual students ends up being enjoyable and rewarding. Relationships with colleagues is very good - teachers get along pretty well across the board.
Pros
Classroom autonomy, wonderful colleagues, admin support
Cons
Morale, academic success challenges, difficulty selling hope
Very fun workplace with wonderful culture
Employment Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 4, 2016
GRPS is a wonderful employer. The particular staff in my building are more like a family than a group of colleagues. We have a fun staff who are very helpful and considerate.
Rewarding Career
School bus driver K thru 12. Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  900 Union NE Grand Rapids MiSeptember 15, 2015
Overall Bus driver for 25 years. Worked for Grand Rapids Public Schools for almost 19 years.
I drove K-12 students to and from school.
I was also a Lead Driver.
As a lead driver, I trained new employees in driving skills, how to drive the bus.
I was one of 7 instructors for safety courses.

In 2005 Grand Rapids Public Schools, privatized our department with Dean Transportation. Shortly after that I moved to Florida until I retired.
Pros
very rewarding experience
Rewarding and insightful
Substitute Teacher in many schools (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids Public SchoolsNovember 30, 2015
GRPS diversity makes its community, which becomes a rewarding and eye opening experience. I saw where some schools had all resources for the students and other schools had no resources at all (exmpl: books, workbooks, computers, lastest copy machine etc.) where others had more than needed...I worked one school where students needed to get caught up with credits for graduation...but no one was giving direction on how to get there...many students didn't even know how many credits they had or what they needed to graduate, some students didn't even need to be there. Overall the school system is a positive...but needs lots of help in protecting the education for ALL STUDENTS not just some.
Pros
Diversified with many races and cultures, which shows the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Cons
Attacked by outside money seeking greedy poachers, which causes the current superintendent stress in establishing a educational album, that caters to every sector of the education system.
Loved the summers off, salary rates for teachers, free parking,evaluation from adminstrative was positive
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Grand Rapids Public Schools until the year before I retired.
At that time with a new superintendent and a new principal at the high school where I worked the direction of how they viewed veteran teachers were negative and undocumented.
I had 30 years in and was going to stay longer but the drive to push teachers out that was on top of pay scale was there.
I had my first negative evaluation in all my years of teaching. So I just retired.
Pros
Great Health insurance, Paid sick leaves, A spring break and Christmas break with pay
Cons
Politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Rapids Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8