Grand Sierra Resort Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun Place to work
Guest Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Nevada,USAJuly 1, 2017
it was nice working here, i love seeing people happy with the services we offered to them. and it makes me more productive and flexible team member as i encountered some queries from guests.
cafeteria food is good sometimes, the company building is near where I resides
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 22, 2017
Always busy at work(love it-time go fast)
Customer service skills
poor management
no culture
the hardest part of the job is to get the manager understands his job.
He didn't take care of my PTO time and vacation time request (he forgot)
The most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work and meet new spa guests and to see my co-worker..I love what I do!!!
Pros
most of the spa guest and co-workers are wonderful. I learned new things everyday
Cons
short breaks, healthcare, management dont know what he's doing
Ok as long as youre not union
Journeyman Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 21, 2017
Not a bad place to work but if you're union they try to get rid of you so they don't have to pay workers as much as they're worth. Not sure about all departments but maintenance areas are on you if you go over your 40 hrs. But great yearly salery if you're union.
Pros
In casino restaurant discounts as well as reduced employee cafeteria
Cons
Stickler for hours and raises
Fun place to work
Bus Person (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 17, 2017
This is definitely one of my favorite places to work. The managers are very easy going yet firm when they need to be. I believe this place is a good start for anyone trying to get into the restaurant business.
Pros
Long Lunch, Cafe downstairs, gym
Cons
N/a
Decent place to get your foot in the door
SAUCIER COLD KITCHEN/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 10, 2017
Company still needs a lot of room for growth and improvement in terms of turn over rate and how to work with there own employees .From the customer point of view the resort is very nice and comfortable
Very corporate enviroment
Technical Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 4, 2017
As long as I am useful it was OK. I was able to perform some interesting projects. I had enough freedom to complete my assignments and solve any other issues that would come up. I was responsible (on my shift) for any problems with all TV and audio systems.
High energy office environment
GL Accountant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 8, 2017
Assisted on numerous special projects, researched issues implementing corrective measures, good working relationship with direct supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
free meal
Cons
No holidays
they charge 2.00 lunch
Housekeeping lead (Former Employee) –  Reno-Sparks Indian Colony, NVApril 6, 2017
the management is very incompetent they don't have organization.over work the employees.is very Luxor casino, but the hotel right now is on remodeling some floors.
Bar back /bartender
Barback/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 6, 2017
I had to stock the bar With ice beer liquor and clean off the tops and fill in for bartending on breaks I did inventory a couple times and I had to run 3 bars
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 4, 2017
I enjoyed working there and working with all the other staff members. They really made me feel welcomed and helped me when I needed it. It was a very active job.
Productivity and flexibilty are key
Front office agent (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 31, 2017
I enjoy my job at the GSR because it is challenging and fast paced. My coworkers are very enjoyable to work with and all do an amazing job no matter the challenges we currently face. We are currently short staffed and have been for quite sometime. I currently working as both a front desk agent and front office agent. I most work in the front office since my promotion but am also needed to go out front and assist with the line due to short staff.There is a very high turn over rate. Over-all the fast paced environment of checking in guests in from all over the world, answering guest calls no matter what may come of them, and working in hotel operations is very exciting and challenging job that I enjoy very much.
Pros
$2 lunches, commission on room upgrades, friendly staff
Cons
no set schedule, must work weekends and holidays
productive
Manager (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 30, 2017
a typical day is work overload. Management is just like any where else.
what I learned is many different positions, I was able to transfer and learn new skills.
Horrible job
Steward (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 30, 2017
Manager never took point out of the system had to deal wit a lazy supervisor who always left late saturday , and from Tuesday and Wednesday been waiting for my final check for a week and also they put me under voluntary termination in which i should had been fired over getting degreaser in my eye by calling in Wednesday would never want to go back there.
Terrible Management
Cage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 18, 2017
No ability to communicate, or deal with customers/guests. No respect for anyone lower than themselves (management). Lack of ability to control certain circumstances as well as proper training.
Most departments are positive
Convention Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMarch 14, 2017
I was promoted within this company 5 times within 4 years. I considered it home. Unfortunately my last position I worked for 4 managers. One of which did not like me. I understand not everyone sees eye to eye, but it was getting out of hand. I went to HR three times, as well to the other managers who saw what was happening. HR unfortunately did nothing. When I left on good terms, she put me down as a non rehire. Upon request to look in files for all the times I came in, they reported there wasnt any.
Great staff but tough work environment
HUMAN RESOURCES FILE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 4, 2017
I typically check the mail, file paperwork, sort alphabetize and keep track of new hire paperwork as well as termed paperwork on a daily basis. I think my managers are great and so are my coworkers, but I work so hard for not enough money. I do like that my job is low key, I think the hardest part about my job is the amount of work that has to be done on a daily basis and that it builds up so quickly. I have learned stronger time management skills, by keeping a daily to-do list for tasks and projects, I have learned to multitask as well.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Overall Work Envrionment
Experienced how the kitchen works.
Utility Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 14, 2017
The people I worked with and other co-workers I met were so nice and friendly. Everybody works hard and if you need help they help you. Great team efforts.
Fun
Cook Helper (Former Employee) –  Reno,NevadaJanuary 22, 2017
Learn how to cook and serve in elements buffet and sometime banquet at grand Sierra resort and casino reno, nevada United States of America for 1 year
Slow moving work environment where problems rarely get solved.
Service Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 14, 2016
In the 2 years I have worked for Grand Sierra Resort, I have enjoyed my job. However, the people who operate the establishment are extremely budget conscious. They pay less than industry standards, they don't provide sick leave, and they offer a discounted lunch (which should be provided free considering the other cons).

I drive a shuttle and move people to and from the airport. It is a fun job where I meet all kinds of interesting people. I am outside 90% of the time in my shuttle. A little heavy lifting in the way of luggage is good exercise, and I am afforded some degree of freedom. However, once again thanks to extreme budget consciousness, there are issues with the shuttles. They are excessively old for shuttles, and as such they constantly break down. We don't have enough shuttles to keep all drivers in shuttles when they break down, and they have only bought one new one in the entire time I've worked there, while the other hotels have gone through numerous shuttles in that same time.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Poor management and compensation
worked on the slot Machines
slot tech II (Former Employee) –  CasinoDecember 6, 2016
Manager is the worst Manager I have ever worked under, No People Skills at all, He knows the business but not people and treats them very bad. The department is in disarray, nothing really properly planned, and some other new employees kiss the butt to move up and stab others in the back. Major problem; Micro management
Pros
loved working the floor, and people
Cons
Bad Managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Sierra Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7