Grand Street Settlement Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
Working with children ages 3months to 5 years old.
Getting to know each child and their family who live in the area
Grandstreet settlement is an amazing place to be.
Pros
Free lunch with the children
Cons
Hour break
Productive Day at Roosevelt Community Center
After School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 6, 2017
As soon as i get to work im am obligated to pick the kids up from the school , they receive snack and we start the activity for the day until 4:30 they do homework and at 5:10 they eat dinner , then they go home.
Pros
the kids
Cons
dirty facility
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2017
Getting to know and bond with the children and giving them a space to learn and create new things . Offering a place to feel comfortable . Playing and having fun with kids during activities
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
First Settlement House Experience
School-Age Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2017
This was one of my first experiences working for a nonprofit organization and because of that very reason it is my favorite. I spent most of my free time at this center heading up programs for the teens and pre-teens. I still visit this youth center to this very day. The families and students still remember me. It is always a pleasure going back to this place and seeing how all the kids that I worked with have grown up! This center has awesome community leadership in the Tenant Association and its president! They are so amazing and truly care about the community.
Pros
Wonderful Community Atmosphere
Cons
Job Advancement
Interesting place to work. The agency is doing a great service.
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2017
Great NFP to work. There are many government contracts. The accounting department is now run by a firm-out-sourced. Now the program staff have a lot more work without the finance staff onsite to help them with the day to day.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Lots of hours
Be part of the future
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
I love everything about this place. We need more programs like this to engage children on hands on experiences rather than being focused on their computer/phone screens. I love this job more than anything.
Pros
Friendly and engaging staff
Cons
I wish I could do this full time
Not good
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  MahanttanApril 12, 2017
Supervisors all stick together. If they lie on you they get the ok to do so. If they want you gone they can do so even though there is proof of everything to back you up. Most of the other group leaders are great. But the supervisors keep getting up while the group leaders get all the blame for things supervisors do. A lot of unjust and unfairness going on. Can't work for people who treat and lie on you. Just doing this for now until I find other job.
Pros
Working with kids.
Cons
Bias againt certain races. Stand up for the supervisors but not group leaders or activity specialist
Productive and fun workplace
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was dishwashing, making sandwiches and serving them to 50 people for breakfast and lunch.
the hardest part of the job was when a coworker stops me and corrects my speed for no reason.
Pros
I had both free breakfast and free lunch per day.
Cons
There were some ants crawling. I had short breaks.
Part time daycare job
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2017
Working at Grand Street Settlement was fun, but not a job to live off. The hours were short, 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Depending on the age group of kids you were assigned to is the work you had to do with them. I had third graders, so I had to help them with homework and I taught them tricks on how to multiply. They seemed to complain about their actual teacher (which was separate from the after school) so I found myself teaching them more than helping them. But the kids were well behaved for the most part. We also had to come up with project ideas and activities day to day for the kids to do after they completed their homework. We had to fill out lesson plans and each month we had new activities we wanted the kids to practice.
Pros
Weekends off. Paid for group training.
Cons
Short shifts, overtime wasn't much of an option either.
Good place to work....
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Good place to work, good benefits, good atmosphere. Need better corrective action plan towards staff that need to be reprimanded.
Pros
Really well coordinated staff appreciation celebrations
Cons
Unempathetic to personal situations.
Fun and loving environment
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 30, 2016
I loved working here. Amazing leadership. The kids are beautiful and it's awesome to know that you are helping children in communities that need it. It is a great way to help our community and the future generations.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No room for full time hours during fall.
Fun Place to work
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2016
Great atmostphere. As a Americorp Member I worked with the LGBT program as a Mentor. I learned how to facilitate groups and work large groups of teens as once. The managements was ok. Great Cowoerkers.
Sense of belonging
Educator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2016
A day work load is very simple at times, it all depends on the days of the week. Staff are pretty out going and kind the line of communication is always open which is awesome
Pros
sense of community and belonging
Cons
Its part time
pointers on grand street
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
Work with a diverse group of learners.

Flexible Part-time Schedule

Great working with kids (if that is your thing)

Consistent culture of team building
Great work place.
Caseworker and Activity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
My experience at GSS has been great! I have learned so much about serving people and helping them achieve their goals!I am so happy that I have this opportunity.
Good place to gain patience and experience
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bushwick, NYFebruary 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. The staff always looked to run out of the classroom which was a problem of managing children. The director was a womanizer who treated male stuff like trash.
Pros
Easy job and fun
Cons
Nasty Assistant director
it was a good company
Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2015
it was a good company to work if you live near by. provided good neighborhood services. the agency provided good benefits. it was a very busy work place. the colleagues were friendly
Pros
far from the subway station.
Cons
good employee benefits.
Summer Youth employer
Summer Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
Basically what i was doing was listening about LGBYT. Talking about how to stay negative and healthy so that way in the future i will be good and have no worries
Counsel individuals and small groups of children (Current Employee) –  BrooklynOctober 4, 2015
Job is great just looking to find better work. Co-workers were fine and great to work with. Management could have been a little better.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
No benefits
fun, exciting, diversity
Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York NYAugust 18, 2015
Working with children is always a new and exciting experience. They will always amaze anyone and every day is a new learning experience for me because it a new learning experience for the children. The most enjoyable part of my overall job is working with the children
Pros
working in my profession
Cons
not enough employment hours