Grand Street Settlement Employee Reviews

Summer Youth employer
Summer Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
Basically what i was doing was listening about LGBYT. Talking about how to stay negative and healthy so that way in the future i will be good and have no worries
Counsel individuals and small groups of children (Current Employee) –  BrooklynOctober 4, 2015
Job is great just looking to find better work. Co-workers were fine and great to work with. Management could have been a little better.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
No benefits
fun, exciting, diversity
Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York NYAugust 18, 2015
Working with children is always a new and exciting experience. They will always amaze anyone and every day is a new learning experience for me because it a new learning experience for the children. The most enjoyable part of my overall job is working with the children
Pros
working in my profession
Cons
not enough employment hours
Great
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2015
Great experience, from staff to supervisors, every one was friendly, I had a great working relationship with my supervisors and they propelled me forward as a supervisor should.
Healthy Environment and fun place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2014
My job was to assist the children by helping them to be independent.
The lead Teacher and I were in charge to teach them through play. I helped them with toilet training, brushing their teeth, feeding, doing art work, etc. In addition, I had to assit the Lead Teacher with documentation such as observations, pictures, lesson plans, forms, etc.
Pros
healthy environment
Cons
short brakes
dance class with the participants
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
Of course its school work before fun. Once the participants leave school they come straight to us, the afterschool program. the youth must complete their homework before any activities can take place. and of course that gets them more eager and excited. after we confirm homework was completed we break out into different activites such as my class (dance class) art, music, etc
Pros
there was also fun around us
Cons
wish the hours were longer
fun place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2014
the children are the best thing about this job. the are so much fun.
Protector of the community for over a century
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2014
Long history in the community. Centrally located. Multi-specialty programs available to serve many generations.
Inspiring environment, dedicated to the community
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2014
A typical day begins with some paperwork, filing, making phone calls to parents. Ordering food supplies for participant's snack & supper. Creating, organizing and updating data bases or roosters. I've learned a lot about how non for profits work. The importance of time management and prioritizing. Management is great and down to earth, I'd say the same for my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is not getting too attached to the children. The most enjoyable part of the job is cooking for the children.
Pros
being connected to the community and being able to assist
Cons
no benefits, low hours
Pretty comfortable environment despite some hiccups
Grant Writer & Grant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2014
One of the most comfortable working environments I've been in. Many of the staff have grown up themselves as participants in the programs, and have become staff so longevity with the organization at all capacities is a part of the culture. Management is where there are many flaws with no real accountability for their actions, and no transparency in communications.
Program Assistant
Case Worker/Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  NY, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Responsible for conducting case assistance for seniors as needed
*Documents service intervention in client’s files, tracks services by logging into worker log and inputting into PDS tracking system
Safe place for all members of the neighborhood / community
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Lower East Side, NYDecember 27, 2013
working with teens and teaching them about safe sex. discussions and planning on upcoming events for the community.
Pros
very involved with the community.
Fun environment
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2013
It was a very fun environment, the after school program was a place for me to teach young kids the right way of life besides helping them out with their homework and activities. I myself would conduct fun and educational activities for the kids to engage themselves in.
Productive and fun place to work and meet new people
Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
It was my first time working with so many kids at one time, so that was new to me, but I love working with kids so it wasn't difficult at all.
Working with the kindergarten and first graders was a bit difficult because it took a bit more patience that usual but I got used to it.

All the programs that Grand Street has is very fun and wonderful. Grandstreet serves its community by having something for everyone.
The elderly have their own programs and so do the youths.
Pros
the co-workers were great
Cons
could be very unprofessional at times
A helping environment
Head Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2013
Helped under privileged children with math, and reading. Coordinated after school activities while building up confidence and good attitude balance.
Pros
seeing your work rewarded by the children advancement
Cons
some unruly children but, not totally incontrolable
Meaningful
Director of Employment Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2013
A typical day was managing prioritizing many responsibilities with I learned to master. The management team was difficult and my co-workers were supportive. The hardest part of the job was maintaining and meeting contractual goals. I most enjoyed was conducting and coordinating outreach to the community.
Pros
able to work as team and independently
Cons
at times things were disorganized.
Typical non-profit
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Ny, nyMarch 9, 2013
Funding challenges & mis-management (as any non profit). Some great people working here, but almost always over-worked & under-appreciated. Some positive changes in the last few years, but always hard to change from the bottom-up. Amazing participants & community!!
Pros
good benefits, great clientele/participants, some great admin/behind the scenes staff
Cons
no staff recognition, low morale, no raises for the little people (while "higher ups" keep getting more $)
A productive and fun environment to work in
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2012
A typical day at Grand Settlement entails me traveling to the children's school to accompany them from their school to Grand Settlement. At Grand Settlement I have learned the importance of understanding the different theories my co-workers have concerning the education field. I enjoy working with a staff that is always ready to assist in an appropriate manner. The most challenging part of this position is explaining the same thing over and over to the participants and the most enjoyable is when they understand the reason why I as a professional must follow the rules of the position as well as them.
community based services
Senior Services /NORC Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2012
work with low income diverse communities, provided rewarding opportunities to impact older adults and help improve quality of lives
changing tasks and busy days with pleasant co-workers
Pros
direct work with clients
Cons
funding challenges
Productive and fun environment to work at
Assistant AmeriCorps Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2012
great place to work and grow professionally and personally.