Grand Street Settlement Employee Reviews

Part time daycare job
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2017
Working at Grand Street Settlement was fun, but not a job to live off. The hours were short, 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Depending on the age group of kids you were assigned to is the work you had to do with them. I had third graders, so I had to help them with homework and I taught them tricks on how to multiply. They seemed to complain about their actual teacher (which was separate from the after school) so I found myself teaching them more than helping them. But the kids were well behaved for the most part. We also had to come up with project ideas and activities day to day for the kids to do after they completed their homework. We had to fill out lesson plans and each month we had new activities we wanted the kids to practice.
Pros
Weekends off. Paid for group training.
Cons
Short shifts, overtime wasn't much of an option either.
Fun and loving environment
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 30, 2016
I loved working here. Amazing leadership. The kids are beautiful and it's awesome to know that you are helping children in communities that need it. It is a great way to help our community and the future generations.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No room for full time hours during fall.
Good place to work....
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Good place to work, good benefits, good atmosphere. Need better corrective action plan towards staff that need to be reprimanded.
Pros
Really well coordinated staff appreciation celebrations
Cons
Unempathetic to personal situations.
Sense of belonging
Educator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2016
A day work load is very simple at times, it all depends on the days of the week. Staff are pretty out going and kind the line of communication is always open which is awesome
Pros
sense of community and belonging
Cons
Its part time
Fun Place to work
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2016
Great atmostphere. As a Americorp Member I worked with the LGBT program as a Mentor. I learned how to facilitate groups and work large groups of teens as once. The managements was ok. Great Cowoerkers.
Good place to gain patience and experience
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bushwick, NYFebruary 19, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. The staff always looked to run out of the classroom which was a problem of managing children. The director was a womanizer who treated male stuff like trash.
Pros
Easy job and fun
Cons
Nasty Assistant director
Great work place.
Caseworker and Activity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
My experience at GSS has been great! I have learned so much about serving people and helping them achieve their goals!I am so happy that I have this opportunity.
pointers on grand street
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
Work with a diverse group of learners.

Flexible Part-time Schedule

Great working with kids (if that is your thing)

Consistent culture of team building
fun, exciting, diversity
Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York NYAugust 18, 2015
Working with children is always a new and exciting experience. They will always amaze anyone and every day is a new learning experience for me because it a new learning experience for the children. The most enjoyable part of my overall job is working with the children
Pros
working in my profession
Cons
not enough employment hours
it was a good company
Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2015
it was a good company to work if you live near by. provided good neighborhood services. the agency provided good benefits. it was a very busy work place. the colleagues were friendly
Pros
far from the subway station.
Cons
good employee benefits.
dance class with the participants
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
Of course its school work before fun. Once the participants leave school they come straight to us, the afterschool program. the youth must complete their homework before any activities can take place. and of course that gets them more eager and excited. after we confirm homework was completed we break out into different activites such as my class (dance class) art, music, etc
Pros
there was also fun around us
Cons
wish the hours were longer
Inspiring environment, dedicated to the community
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2014
A typical day begins with some paperwork, filing, making phone calls to parents. Ordering food supplies for participant's snack & supper. Creating, organizing and updating data bases or roosters. I've learned a lot about how non for profits work. The importance of time management and prioritizing. Management is great and down to earth, I'd say the same for my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is not getting too attached to the children. The most enjoyable part of the job is cooking for the children.
Pros
Being connected to the community and being able to assist
Cons
no benefits, low hours
A productive and fun environment to work in
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2012
A typical day at Grand Settlement entails me traveling to the children's school to accompany them from their school to Grand Settlement. At Grand Settlement I have learned the importance of understanding the different theories my co-workers have concerning the education field. I enjoy working with a staff that is always ready to assist in an appropriate manner. The most challenging part of this position is explaining the same thing over and over to the participants and the most enjoyable is when they understand the reason why I as a professional must follow the rules of the position as well as them.
Productive and fun place to work and meet new people
Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
It was my first time working with so many kids at one time, so that was new to me, but I love working with kids so it wasn't difficult at all.
Working with the kindergarten and first graders was a bit difficult because it took a bit more patience that usual but I got used to it.

All the programs that Grand Street has is very fun and wonderful. Grandstreet serves its community by having something for everyone.
The elderly have their own programs and so do the youths.
Pros
The co-workers were great
Cons
could be very unprofessional at times
Typical non-profit
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Ny, nyMarch 9, 2013
Funding challenges & mis-management (as any non profit). Some great people working here, but almost always over-worked & under-appreciated. Some positive changes in the last few years, but always hard to change from the bottom-up. Amazing participants & community!!
Pros
good benefits, great clientele/participants, some great admin/behind the scenes staff
Cons
no staff recognition, low morale, no raises for the little people (while "higher ups" keep getting more $)
Pretty comfortable environment despite some hiccups
Grant Writer & Grant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2014
One of the most comfortable working environments I've been in. Many of the staff have grown up themselves as participants in the programs, and have become staff so longevity with the organization at all capacities is a part of the culture. Management is where there are many flaws with no real accountability for their actions, and no transparency in communications.
Healthy Environment and fun place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2014
My job was to assist the children by helping them to be independent.
The lead Teacher and I were in charge to teach them through play. I helped them with toilet training, brushing their teeth, feeding, doing art work, etc. In addition, I had to assit the Lead Teacher with documentation such as observations, pictures, lesson plans, forms, etc.
Pros
Healthy Environment
Cons
Short Brakes
Meaningful
Director of Employment Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2013
A typical day was managing prioritizing many responsibilities with I learned to master. The management team was difficult and my co-workers were supportive. The hardest part of the job was maintaining and meeting contractual goals. I most enjoyed was conducting and coordinating outreach to the community.
Pros
Able to work as team and independently
Cons
At times things were disorganized.
Counsel individuals and small groups of children (Current Employee) –  BrooklynOctober 4, 2015
Job is great just looking to find better work. Co-workers were fine and great to work with. Management could have been a little better.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
No benefits
Summer Youth employer
Summer Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
Basically what i was doing was listening about LGBYT. Talking about how to stay negative and healthy so that way in the future i will be good and have no worries

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Street Settlement. Our community is ready to answer.

Grand Street Settlement Reviews by Location