Grand Valley State University

Grand Valley State University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun envirnoment to work in.
Secretary (Former Employee), Allendale, MIMarch 16, 2015
Pros: you could take your breaks whenever you wanted to, you could do school work during down time.
Everyday was mostly a calm and relaxed day. Management was very polite and kind. Management helped hands on with things that were new. I learned more about social work. My major is nursing so at that time I had know knowledge about the classes students needed to take to get there degree. I also learned how to work a multiple-line phone with transferring calls and putting calls on hold. I really enjoyed having co-workers that were around my age and that were very helpful. This made the work environment more comfortable and team oriented.
Front Desk Assistant
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee), Allendale, MIMarch 11, 2015
•Assist students who have disabilities and request accommodations
•Maintain and update a confidential Access database of student information
•Read and scribe tests for students who require assistance
•Multi-task by answering multiple telephone lines at once
Tan lines and good times
Grounds Staff Member (Former Employee), Allendale, MIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: free food wednesdays!! free tan lines!
I really enjoyed working with fun people but the supervisor wasnt available to answer any questions. He was a great guy but I didnt feel he knew went on outside while he was inside his office. A typical day included picking up litter in the parking lots, emptying trash cans and watering plants. We were also responsible to making sure weeds were pulled and that the campus maintained a safe, welcoming atmosphere.
Fantastic People to work with
Resident assistant Kistler Copeland (Former Employee), Allendale MIFebruary 18, 2015
Fully integrated job experience full of twists and turns. It is one of the most fantastic things you can do with your college experience.
Fun material, lazy disengaged students
Anthropology Tutor - Part Time (Former Employee), Allendale, MIFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: high compensation
Cons: working with students that don't really care about the subject
All managers and professors are highly passionate about their field in all fields at GVSU, however, this is not the same for all students. The students that took advantage of tutoring were not motivated or interested in the coursework, it was often only because the course was "required" and the "only class available" that the students were enrolled. The students that did go to tutoring often just wanted the answers to get to the next test, not to learn the material to understand the information.
Great job! I got paid to help students do better in their math classes!
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Allendale, MIJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: tutors set their own work hours, complete control over what classes i tutor, raises are available.
Cons: sometimes your assigned students don't show up and then you don't get paid for that hour.
In a typical tutoring session, I would sit down with my students and help them go over problems that were assigned to them from last class. I helped them gain a deeper understanding of the material that they were supposed to have learned in class.
I learned that I couldn't always help them with every problem (I'm still an undergraduate just like they are). I also learned that everyone learns in different ways and it always helps to explain the same concept from different angles.
The hardest part of my job was always when I reached a point where I couldn't help my students find the correct answer to a problem.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was making a difference in my students' lives. I helped a lot of students learn a subject that, for a lot of people, is very difficult.
Productive, team oriented work environment.
Anthropology Assistant (Current Employee), Allendale, MIDecember 8, 2014
An average day working in the Anthropology Department of Grand Valley is relatively simple. You are left on your own to complete certain tasks requested of you and to make sufficient use of your time at work. There is the occasional answering of phone calls that you need either transfer and handle yourself. Lastly you have to be hands on with students, helping them find teachers, monitor them as they take tests, showing them around, letting them into lab rooms and class rooms, etc. I enjoy working with my co-workers, they are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of my day would dealing with a difficult student who is misinformed.
College/ University
advertising, public relations (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MichiganDecember 2, 2014
Pros: learning institution
Cons: hard work
The city of Grand Rapids is an amazing place to spend my four years at college. I was able to learn new experiecnes and meet new friends along the way.
GA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 14, 2014
Pros: flexible time
Cons: fixed term contract
Teaching assisting in the engineering school.

Very professional relationship with faculty. Interesting job
Fun and easy place to work for college students
RECREATIONAL STAFF (Former Employee), Allendale, MINovember 11, 2014
Pros: fun, easy, nice environment, gain train on the job.
Cons: early shifts
Gym equipment management, supervising gym activities, achieved fist aide training, fun.
Fun, collabortive place to work!
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), Institutional MarketingOctober 14, 2014
Pros: flexible, understanding work environment with endless collaboration and decent benefits.
Cons: higher education doesn't pay very well.
Grand Valley prides itself for having a vibrant, team-oriented, flexible work environment. It has proved to be all of the above for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is working within our office production team for marketing initiatives. I also enjoy meeting and helping clients with their recruitment needs. The hardest part of the job is the pay. The benefits are decent but mid-level employees like myself are not payed much for what they do on a daily basis. That is really all you can expect from state funded higher education though. Not necessarily the fault of the employer.
Fun Place to work
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Allendale, MIAugust 4, 2014
A great supervisor and fun group to work with. The most enjoyable part was the ability to use the rec center for early morning workouts.
CLub Sports
Game and Event Operations (Former Employee), Allendale, MIJune 27, 2014
I set up and tore down for club sporting events, kept score during the events as well.
Fun
IT Desktop Support Student Technician (Current Employee), Grand Rapids MIJune 21, 2014
• Troubleshooting hardware, software and networking issues faculty/staff experience
• Troubleshoot and maintain technology in GVSU labs and classrooms
• Setup, delivery and maintained new computing equipment
Great
Study Abroad Peer Adviser (Current Employee), Allendale, MIMay 12, 2014
Great school to work for. They care about you and how well you are doing.
GVSU is a hotbed for innovation and entrepreneurship!
Project Manager (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MichiganApril 14, 2014
Working as a project manager with the GVSU Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation was very beneficial for my skills in marketing, coordination, and leadership. My primary purpose was to foster entrepreneurship among college students through CEO Club, The Idea Pitch Competition, and The Business Plan Competition. The CEI staff was very experienced and always there to help.
Great place great people
Clerical Aid (Current Employee), Allendale, MIMarch 24, 2014
I liked working and attending GVSU a lot. I learned a lot from my experiences here and really enjoyed the opportunities that GVSU provided me with.
Not a good fit.
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee), Allendale, MIMarch 12, 2014
I accepted this temporary job as an opportunity to branch out further away from home, gain greater diversity, in particular because I had never been to western Michigan. Needless to say, I felt that it was not a good fit for me within the office culture, and advantageous for my growth professionally. This coupled with the fact that I drove a whole hour to work one way, proved my willingness and commitment, even though, financially it was more of a liability for my young and soon to be growing family. However, there were certain aspects of the job that I loved; the community outreach but mostly helping educate students and families about the cost of attending college.
Productive, engaging, innovating and lively workplace.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Allendale, MIFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day starts with a good laugh shared amongst co-workers, and follows with completing the days proposed goals. Along the way the principal investigators and the staff are always ready to answer any questions and assist with problem solving or rather encouraging us to use our knowledge to come up with solutions.
Lab Technician, setting up and breaking down labs for classes of different levels.
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Allendale, MIJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: schedule created around classes, take lunch break whenever i wanted, could
Cons: i can't think of anything.
A typical day at work changed every week, though we usually had dishes to do and supplies to set up on carts to prepare for the next lab. Once a class would end, we would make sure no one's in there, wheeling our supply-laden cart and and empty cart to put the materials we broke down onto. Once the next lab was set up, we would take the dirty dishes and put them in the dishes area, and one or two of us would wash them while we went about putting the materials away in their respective areas.

I learned how to mix chemicals, how to dispose of them, and what is needed to prepare a biology class.

I got along with my co-workers very well. it's what made the job more fun.

The Hardest part of the job was making sure everything was prepared correctly and efficiently once in the room.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the awesome bosses and co-workers, listening to music or telling stories as we worked. I usually brought in snacks to my co-workers.

1 2 3