Grand Valley State University Employee Reviews

Gvsu
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 26, 2016
Worked as a Graduate Assistant at GVSU. Management was fantastic and allowed for you to progress as an individual. Every assignment was conducted with professionalism and the potential to grow as an individual.
Pros
Freedom, flexibility, growth, ptoential, honesty
Cons
benefits, pay
It is a good institution, but does not treat well Adjuncts
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIJanuary 4, 2016
The compensation is very low.
You have some independence to work.
The relationship with supervisors, colleagues is not always the best.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Very low wage
Fun environment and works well with my school schedule!
Assists Vice President of Enrollment Development (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIJune 27, 2016
A typical day at work consists on phone calls, office supplies ordering and organizing, mail sorting, communicating with other students and professionals. I have learned communication skills as well as leadership skills. We tend to get new students often so I am one of the students that helps teach other students their rolls. The work environment is nice because they work with our schedules since most of us are full time student.
Pros
works around school scheduling
Cons
no benefits, pay is not as much as I would like
Intellectual and productive workplace, fun time at lunch sharing food.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 18, 2016
My works starts at 10.00 am in the morning, very refreshing hours to work. I learned many skills like literature reviews, data analysis, community benefit programs. This knowledge helped me a lot to manage my studies in the classrooms. Very friendly workplace, a place where one can acquire personal growth in career. Hardest part of the job is searching some archives related to the Internal Revenue Services. I like to explore new documents in community benefit programs, U.S. policies.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Break time of 15 min
Good Department, Concerned About Institution's Overall Priorities
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIFebruary 14, 2016
I worked in GVSU's History Department. Colleagues were excellent and collaborative, and a lot of support from administrative staff members. University as a whole, though, seemed to prioritize "visibility" and fundraising projects over learning and classroom environment. "Student experience" essentially meant prioritizing non-learning initiatives.
Pros
Flexible schedule, ability to personalize my work
Cons
Low pay, lack of support for academic departments, limited job security
Great job! I got paid to help students do better in their math classes!
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIJanuary 21, 2015
In a typical tutoring session, I would sit down with my students and help them go over problems that were assigned to them from last class. I helped them gain a deeper understanding of the material that they were supposed to have learned in class.
I learned that I couldn't always help them with every problem (I'm still an undergraduate just like they are). I also learned that everyone learns in different ways and it always helps to explain the same concept from different angles.
The hardest part of my job was always when I reached a point where I couldn't help my students find the correct answer to a problem.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was making a difference in my students' lives. I helped a lot of students learn a subject that, for a lot of people, is very difficult.
Pros
tutors set their own work hours, complete control over what classes i tutor, raises are available.
Cons
sometimes your assigned students don't show up and then you don't get paid for that hour.
Great Masters Program
Full time Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 1, 2016
Very interesting hands-on mechanical masters program. Arduino, 3D printing, energy harvesting and manufacturing focus.
Wonderful place to be
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIJune 2, 2016
The best part of GVSU is being surrounded by an amazing group of hard working individuals who are truly passionate about what they do daily. The culture in the athletic department is hard to match.
Fun material, lazy disengaged students
Anthropology Tutor - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIFebruary 10, 2015
All managers and professors are highly passionate about their field in all fields at GVSU, however, this is not the same for all students. The students that took advantage of tutoring were not motivated or interested in the coursework, it was often only because the course was "required" and the "only class available" that the students were enrolled. The students that did go to tutoring often just wanted the answers to get to the next test, not to learn the material to understand the information.
Pros
high compensation
Cons
working with students that don't really care about the subject
quite place to work with many unexpected situations
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 3, 2016
Most of my job is fixing printers and filling them up. I enjoyed helping the students with computer and internet issues.
Pros
Friendly work envrioment
Cons
Sometimes the workplace is too quiet.
Fun, collabortive place to work!
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Institutional MarketingOctober 14, 2014
Grand Valley prides itself for having a vibrant, team-oriented, flexible work environment. It has proved to be all of the above for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is working within our office production team for marketing initiatives. I also enjoy meeting and helping clients with their recruitment needs. The hardest part of the job is the pay. The benefits are decent but mid-level employees like myself are not payed much for what they do on a daily basis. That is really all you can expect from state funded higher education though. Not necessarily the fault of the employer.
Pros
flexible, understanding work environment with endless collaboration and decent benefits.
Cons
higher education doesn't pay very well.
Very good working, environment. Encouraging faculty members
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIApril 4, 2016
The University has very good infrastructure for research for computer science, faculty member provides guidance, support and encourages the students, good environment and very flexible with the student timings.
Review summary
Graduate Assitant Office of Sponsored Programs (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 20, 2016
Great place to work for employees. Really enjoyed my time at the organization. Fun work enviorment and everyone is very nice.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
it was a work study
Hoekstra Roofing, Kalamazoo MI, Laborer (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIApril 21, 2016
i was a wood shop supervisor. I kept on eye on the equipment and made sure no one got hurt along with helping people with different tools
Great organization to work for
Living Center Director (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIJune 10, 2015
GVSU is a great organization to work for, it offers great benefits and an excellent working environment. The university cares about its employees.
Cons
Weather
Housing and Residence life is a wonderful place to work
Niemeyer Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 5, 2016
we are given time to work on homework and other tasks once our desk tasks are done. our bosses are awesome, and its overall a great atmosphere.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no breaks, short shifts
Fun place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2016
Best place to learn new things and great environment to work. Great people to work with. Its always good to meet new people and learn new things.
A good working place as a Graduate Assistant in College of Engineering
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 25, 2016
Nice Working Environment and many more things to learn in college of engineering. The facility is good here for engineering students
Undergraduate work
Human Laboratory Student Lab Facilitator (Former Employee) –  allendale, MIJanuary 4, 2016
Facilitated learning in undergraduate students for human anatomy classes during undergraduate status. This provided the opportunity for me to learn about the human anatomy at a detailed level. This was my position before becoming a full-time physical therapy doctoral student at the University of Michigan-Flint.
Pros
Continued Learning
Cons
NA
Great environment for learning!
Program Advisor (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 27, 2012
GVSU has wonderful health, retirement and educational benefits! They encourage their employees to continue to advance their education goals and to never to stagnate.
Pros
great benefits, wonderful people, challenging environment
Cons
limited room for advancement

4.4