Granite Construction Inc Employee Reviews in United States

BEWARE ALL FEMALES! Not a female friendly company!
administrative (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 28, 2015
Be prepared for a "Good ol' Boys club" attitude. No advancement opportunities, poor upper management, favoritism, lack of accountability, and lack of respect for women. Cannot follow their own policies. Be prepared for bad moral, dishonest people, and poor leadership.
Pros
Cons
Benefits, Advancement Opportunities, Compensation, Management
This company is starting to develop many problems.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Indio Ca.November 19, 2014
Granite was a great company to work for when I started out. Good people,management, benefits and room for advancement. For the last 3 years it has been very very different. Good people were replaced with corporate goons.....many did not know the job they were doing. Benefits have went down hill. There is no job security let alone advancement. Management seems to do the exact opposite of what they should do. Many jobs lose a lot of money due to lack of detail. Job culture is ok because there is still some good people there. I have hope they may change back to a good company to work for. Let just say for now there has been many good people that worked for granite.
Pros
you can learn a lot.
Cons
management has seemed to lost its way.
Great company to build career
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Corinth, TXJuly 25, 2015
Work all over country, stay where you like, travel if you want. Great compensation for loyal employees. A lot of areas to go after.
Good luck with steady employment
Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed my job with Granite even as stressful as it could be until I got laid off twice. The first time was due to weather conditions in Colorado which is understandable, however they kept saying they were going to find work for everyone which didn't happen. I found a location in Arizona which had an opening so I packed up and moved down here to only a month and a half later be laid off again.
Pros
Overtime, Mechanic pay
Cons
layoffs communication
Work and life balance
QC Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 7, 2013
Granite is a fast passed company with multiple projects going at the same time. Job requirements always change and the need for testers was at a high need. I have learned most everything of my testing skills for materials while I was at Granite. Long hours and long weeks of working during the summer was a normal. Usually the hours in the summer were in the 60 hrs a week range, sometimes to 70 hrs. Hours in the winter was a constant 40, so home life was not impeded. Management was good, and sometimes overwhelmed with all the different projects they were overseeing. Unfortunately there is not a lot of advancements offered.
Pros
all the hours wanted in the summer. good pay. good benefits
Cons
no home life if the summer.
Strong Core Values, Below Average Pay & Weak Management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 13, 2013
Granite Construction is a great place to work, if you don't want a life outside of your job. The hours are long and the compensation doesn't make up for it.

The people in Granite are great, but the management could use some work. There seems to be a major disconnect between most managers and their employees in that there is no motivation.

Their benefits are great, but again compensation is below average.

They do construct a wide variety of projects that give employees an opportunity to learn about all different types of work which is great.
Pros
flexibility for personal issues, good benefits, ideas behind core values, variety of project types & locations
Cons
below average compensation, weak management/leadership in high positions, work/life balance
work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 4, 2016
busy work schedule and long hours when there is work. Company is local which good for the local economy. Mostly residential not much infrastructure.
Granite
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 28, 2016
This was a construction company and it has helped me learn accounting in a different manner, I enjoyed the time at this position.
Great Place to work
Helpdesk/Desktop Manager (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CaJuly 10, 2013
As the Service Desk and Helpdesk Manager for this company everyday was an exciting day. I was excited to be part of the management team that really made a difference and cared for our customer “The employees”. For the most part the Executive team was very supportive until the economy started impacting the business which in turned change their commitments.
A typical day involved interaction with many departments, employees and management teams working on resolving current issues. The hardest part of the job was getting the executive team supporting the IT organization in a non IT related business environment.
Overall – Great Company and wonderful people to work with.
Pros
salary and benefits - great people
Cons
down turn in the economy
good safe working condisions
Loader, Roller Blade, excavator, and backhoe (Former Employee) –  Reno NV.December 11, 2015
In the morning there is a safety meeting,then you do some streching exercises. check out the equipment to make sure that all fluids are all full. you use gps for the grades. They are ten hour days, five days a week. Dispatched out of union hall.
Pros
union wage
Cons
no job securety
Only a temporary position, but very insightful.
Legal Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 16, 2013
I clocked in, went to my office, and got myself situated for the day. I would take worker's compensation case files, and break them down. All information had to be entered into a new data system on the computer. Once the information was entered, the files were moved back to the storage room. I learned how to break down legal files, and how nice construction companies could be. My manager was amazing. She was very considerate and always willing to answer any questions that I had. I did not have very many co-workers in the office because they all worked out on sites. The ones I did see were always very nice. The hardest part of my job was leaving, although it was only a temporary position. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people. The people were great, the atmosphere was wonderful. It was all in all a great job.
Pros
felt like part of the family
Cons
having to leave so soon
Good Core People-Terrible Management
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 22, 2015
The people on the ground are great to work with, however the local management and corporate personnel have their own agendas. The good ole boy network is in full force and if you do not toe the line your out. Favoritism is rampant and the work-life balance is almost non-existent unless you are middle management or above.
Pros
Great craft people
Cons
Misguided and Unqualified Management
excellent
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Joshua, TXNovember 18, 2015
I enjoyed my time working for this company.they had a very good system and were very family oriented and treated me llike family
Pros
great bosses and good pay
Great company
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage AlaskaOctober 5, 2015
Granite is a great company to work for. I was a laborer out of 341 and took a dispatch to work for them. The only downside is that I had a short season this year and didnt get a chance to work with them longer.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Short seasons in Alaska
nice equitment, plenty of work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  N Salt Lake, UTJune 17, 2014
plenty of work, good management, health benefits, good equitment, good people to work around...
Pros
overtime
Cons
away from family
Great Place to work until new CIO destroyed IT department
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMarch 23, 2012
Granite is a great place to work. Had a good team until a new CIO practically destroyed the IT department with dishonest practices. He was replace 2 years after I quit.
Pros
good benefits, good pay.
Excellent work place which let me manage myself to be as efficient as possible.
Marketing and Technical Rep (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMarch 24, 2015
This job included lots of travel, everything was paid for and while traveling to different states to either give presentations or for meetings i was able to experience different parts of the US and Canada. My typical day was either meeting with current or potential customers and setting meetings with current or potential customers to maintain my companies market share and increase it. A lot of my time was directed in the area of marketing as this company really had no marketing material when i started. When i was finished they had up to date pamphlets, presentation folders, trade show booths, a web site and powerpoint presentations of their products.
Pros
traveling to different areas of North America and meeting new people.
Cons
lots of time away from my wife and kids.
Very large company
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 19, 2013
Very good company to work for, Foreman rebuilding highways.
Pros
good benefits.
Great company to work for.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMay 11, 2015
Best at what we do work hard get things do and get them done right. well show there works that they have done a good job by having BBQ and passing out items for a job well done.
hardest thing is work is slow so things get slim.
An unusual construction company
undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMay 8, 2013
This is no Silicon Valley hot-shot place to work. But, if you miss working in a place with old-fashioned and honest-to-goodness ethics and strong values, then you will love this place. They can be antiquated at times. Sometimes it's charming, but otherwise it can be frustrating. If you are an operations-type professional, like an engineer or project manager, you will find an environment that will be fun to work at. Administrative types may struggle with the environment and lack of appreciation in some areas, but not all. The management has changed a lot over the last 5-ish years. Some say it's good and others aren't so sure.

In balance a good company.
Pros
great environment for engineers who love to build stuff; ethical, strong history
Cons
corporate hq is in watsonville, advancement is tough for administrative folks, not a sexy place to work