Granite Services International Employee Reviews

accomplishment and hard work better result
Commissioning Engineer/Receiving/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 18, 2017
Good day at work
Same old things I being doing for the past 5 yrs
Lead tech
weather condition, hot and cold
meeting different people with different culture and back ground/race
Fast paced workplace
Warranty Technician (Former Employee) –  Breckenridge, MIAugust 12, 2017
Began with Granite Services International GSI as a wind technician with future potential to hire on with GE. Gained experience while working with Granite.
Pros
Granite is a stepping stone for GE since they are a sister company
Cons
Low wage and payscale freezes once schooling is completed.
84 hour weeks pay good, but at a cost
Field Service Technician- Distributed Power (Current Employee) –  EverywhereAugust 3, 2017
I enjoyed the work, but it took too much of a toll on family life. I spent 300 days/yr working 84 hrs/week. No personal life, no family life, but the ability to make plenty of money and travel. Great for single life, terrible for family life.
Pros
Money
Cons
everything else
great place to work
Wind Turbine Technician (Former Employee) –  USAJuly 26, 2017
Granite services is a great place to work. They are owned by General Electric. They have great benefits and great pay. Granite will also give you a foot in the door with GE.
Pros
great perdiem
Cons
%100 Travel
good place to work
Director I&C (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 28, 2017
Very demanding and fast pace environment but the people are very friendly and are always willing to help each other be successful. They have a global footprint in the energy market so if you want to work for an international company then they would be a good one to explore.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Wind Turbine Technician (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 26, 2017
The most enjoy part of the job was the people that i work with the diverse back rounds that some of these people had was very helpful when i first got stated in the wind field.
good company to work for if you dont have a immediate family
Wind technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 27, 2017
good company to work for if you are single and unattached. working 6 week out of state with 1 week home is not good for family workers. pay and benefits are great but at a big sacrafice
Flexable with a decent paycheck
Traveling Wind Turbine Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2017
Granite is a very flexible company to work for but will ask for much of your time. Overtime is frequent and pay is better if you are a traveling tech.
Pros
Work is challenging, physically and mentally.
Cons
Environmental extremes will be faced. Hazardous environment if safety is not strictly heeded.
Productive and tense work Enviroment
Turbine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston,TxAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of disassembly and assembly of all project turbine engines if needed.

Working on gas turbines was a great educational experience due to all the hands on work I was able to learn a great deal of things from maintaining mixers, to changing oil, following correct manual directions and labeling various gas turbine parts.

I honestly believe management should have been better on checking the status of their employees.

Working with co-workers was a fun experience It was a chance to learn turbines easier.

The hardest part of the job was finding a secure position

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from the other experienced techs
Pros
free water bottles
Cons
small free water bottles
have a great time to meet other people at work.
welder/ mechanical technician (Former Employee) –  Middle East,Europe,Africa AsiaJuly 18, 2016
They give me opportunity to learned other duties before performed it well. I also have a great time to learned the culture of other people i worked with.
Pros
free food
Cons
healthcare
nice working place with friendly environment
Oracle ERP Lead Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2016
working at Granite Services is a great experience, it has nice working environment with friendly management. i learned a lot from this job.
Fun company to work for
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2016
Advancement opportunities, fun company to work for. Very employee oriented. Good benefits. Education opportunities.
Wonderful environment and people
IT Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2015
In 2004 I was hired on with Granite (or once know as Pen Power) where I was quickly promoted to a Payroll Lead.
As a Payroll Lead, I reviewed trending patterns – statistics to ensure month, quarter and year-end financial data was at our targeted mark. By measuring this data, I was able to verify when high peaks of production were and when we (as a company) needed to higher more field employees or if we (as a company needed to cut back on our spending). I was responsible for the data statistics and deadlines of my team for reporting purposes.

In 2007 I transitioned onto the IT Implementation team as the payroll subject matter expert.
My job duties were to help streamline and standardize global processes, identifying business process gaps and correct them. With my Six Sigma training I analyze multiple organizations payroll data, measure the data, develop an improvement plan with the teams that help to simplify the current processes for paying time/expense better, faster and smarter. This allows my “run” teams to access larger pools of work in a shorter amount of time with fewer errors. The only way this is be done is by reviewing statistical values of processes that are already being done and sampling new techniques, testing and applying.

In my newer role as Quality Assurance, I aim to again, lead the charge and through mentorship and training develop test scripts database. This would be utilized for not only a future QA/testing team...but would also be utilized by the business for possible small/patch testing and regression tests. Master the means of properly
  more... measuring defects then passing along my knowledge to end-users. Develop and help maintain a strict QA policy that lines up with best practices and establish a foundational research library for regression testing (both automated and manual).

The point is...Granite has allowed me to grow as an individual in many different areas...and master these areas. I have been able to work and lead and grow for myself and for the company. Granite has been wonderful at shinning a light on new methods and allowing me to shine.
Great employer
Traveling Wind Turbine Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2015
Travel technician in power generation. Inspection and repair of components. Safe working environment. Employer is concerned with employee welfare
Pros
Compensation, Safety, Advancement and Training
Cons
Travel
Great pay
Wind Turbine Technician and Installation Manger (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 6, 2015
Great pay. No home life. No room for advancement. Constant travel. No set off time. Laid off every year but always called back.
Pros
pay
Cons
home life
Mechanical Assistant
Millwright (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 14, 2014
A typical day as a traveling mechanical assistant begins at 7am and ends at 7pm. Work is continuous but very worthwhile if you are looking to learn the business and progress to other positions within in the company or to another company. Sometimes management in the office response time is lagging if they respond at all. Co workers are very knowledgeable, some are more patient than others. the hardest part of the job is the tight spaces you have to climb in. the most enjoyable part of the job is when the job is finished.
Pros
great compensation. opportunity to learn and progress
Cons
short breaks. tight places to work
All work and no gain
Routing analyst (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 27, 2014
First, please understand this, Granite is wholly owned by GE, so direction comes from GE, not Granite. Period. Majority of employees are field service folks, but I worked for a much smaller logistical division based in Greenville, SC. We routed for GE Power and Water, so there are multiple GE owned divisions that you may work for - some harder and more demanding than others. Work environment was very quiet, rows of cubes and people typing away. Roughly 60 employees with about 6 team leads, all guided by two very inept Granite managers, who were rarely seen and definitely concentrated on keeping the GE employees pleased contractually - much more so than keeping their own Granite employees happy. Multiple GE professionals on site, and the majority were great to work with. Pay was fair I felt. Wasn't bad at all, but I was absolutely floored by the folks they would hire off the street who were very inexperienced and often lazy. Shocked that the folks who worked extremely hard were only piled upon and discouraged from taking their deserved leave and vacation because "we need you to work" while others went day after day on Facebook, texting and playing fantasy football. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having fun but if you want to get ahead and believe that you'll be promoted by working hard, don't look here. Remember, there's roughly 60 of you shooting for the same 5 or 6 spots as a team lead that never come open. That's as high as you are gonna go. Trust me. If you are content with just a job with good insurance and pretty good pay, working 8-5 and having weekends off, then this  more... is the place. If you, however, want to better yourself, looking for advancement opportunities, to be mentored and trained, then look elsewhere or put in your time and fight for a GE job when you get experience. Over time, you will discover like I did that you are definitely looked down upon as a contractor and by the management that took over approximately a year ago. They will never have your back. Sorry to sound so negative, but it's just that bad of a place. Good place to learn logistics as a beginner, but not a place to stay long-term.  less
Pros
Quiet work environment, decent pay, good benefits
Cons
Little benefit to working hard, no advancement opportunities
Nice Company
Global EHS Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 20, 2014
Nice company to work for. Learned alot. Great working environment. promotes healthy lifestyle.
Fast pace
Installation and Commissioning/Field Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2014
Gained vast knowledge of power plant operation and construction in a fast pace dead line driven environment. Manage day to day operations including EHS compliance report writing drawing review. Collaboration between engineers, client, contractors and suppliers. This job required 98% travel for long periods of time away from home. Satisfaction was to see the completion of the power plant and the operation success.
Benefits
Cons
Stability of a contractor
challenging
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sweetwater, TXSeptember 9, 2014
They have good benefits and pay well. Contracting company.