Grant Thornton LLP

Grant Thornton LLP United States Employee Reviews

Productive and good environment
Procurement Manager - Real Estate and Technology (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILJuly 12, 2014
Good company to work for. Firm's management is strategic in decision making.
Nothing willing to talk about. Had a very bad experience.
Financial Statement Report Typist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 10, 2014
Pros: just a paycheck.
Cons: glad i left.
I did not have a pleasant two years there. I have to leave it at that.
Essential position for technical accounting development as well as project management.
Audit Associate (Former Employee), MilwaukeeJuly 7, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, strong peer group, audit & accounting training, resources to perform accounting research.
Cons: dwindling market in the wisconsin region
At Grant Thornton, I was an audit and assurance associate for nearly two years, and two full busy seasons. I worked on a range of different types of audits, reviews, and compilations for several key industries in the Wisconsin region.

Beginning in my second year at Grant, I started to serve as the 'in-charge' accountant for various benefit plan and audit engagements. As the in-charge, I was responsible for the engagement timing, audit documentation, peer review, as well as the financial statement preparation in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).

The most difficult part of the job was managing several engagements concurrently, however my hard work and determination provided me the platform in which I was able to provide deliverables in a timely manner.

I worked on engagements in numerous types of industries such as governmental, manufacturing, insurance, wholesaler, real estate, IT, as well as the non-for-profit sector.
GT Review
Operations Manager - Carolinas (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2014
Great firm with tremendous opportunities to those who are willling to work hard.
No Real Career Growth
Operations Assistant (Current Employee), USAJune 19, 2014
Pros: the people and constant happy hours
Cons: low pay, tons of work, no careet mobility
GT is cool if you're just starting out and looking to continue your partying days from college. However, if you're looking for a firm that actually believes in cultivating and progressing your career, this isn't the place for you.
Decent Place to start auditing
Senior, Audit Services (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 9, 2014
Your experience will be determined by the managers and partners you work with. It's a mixed bag.
Meh
Associate (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 6, 2014
Cons: management, compensation
The only reason I am still here is because I like my coworkers - well, some of them. My office has a pretty high turnover rate, but maybe it is just accounting firms in general. The office culture was better everywhere I interned before I got here. Below average compensation. Meh.
secure company with free breakfast on friday
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 29, 2014
Excellent company to work for. I enjoy every year I work there. beautiful and exciting people to work with.

seeing the bright faces that I was working with. everyone got alone with everyone.
Productive and fun team environment
Audit Associate II, Global Public Sector (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 29, 2014
I like working for Grant Thornton and I have learned alot. I typically call a client and schedule an entrance conference. I would then provide a documetation request list. once the information is received I then would tie out the population and pull a sample using a software. I love that the workplace is quiet and pretty much everyone keeps busy. The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency of how to handle different audit situations.
working on its culture
Regional Director of Human Resources, West (Current Employee), Irvine, CAMay 6, 2014
Currently undergoing transformation.
Significant leadership changes.
Challenging, fast paced environment with a supportive, team building atmosphere
Audit Senior (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2014
A senior auditor is typically responsible for preparing and executing financial statement audit testing for clients within various industries as well as overseeing and developing staff auditors. There is a high degree of interaction with clients to help ensure necessary information flow for effective and efficient auditing. I enjoy the daily challenges I face that ensure my continued learning, the support and encouragement from colleagues that keeps me motivated, and the ability to teach subordinates on the firm's methodologies and application of accounting guidance in developing testing.
Houston office - The partner is best friends with a senior manager....
Senior Tax Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 23, 2014
Pros: public accounting experience on resume
Cons: office politics and clique.
The office culture is cut-throat. The new staff can do no wrong and often leave the senior out and bad-mouth them in an effort to advance. Very cliquish and if you're not in you don't stand a chance. Managers who don't want anyone to advance.... Don't work in the Houston office.
They are becoming more like Big 4
Audit Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 11, 2014
Pros: great mix of experience, great resources
Cons: increasing politics at partner level
My initial experience with the firm at the begging was fantastic with understanding and supportive management. However, a lot has changed during my 3 years with the firm. They emphasize more on work quality and high performance culture, which are very important for successful accounting firm. Unfortunately, this also promoted culture that discourages new challenges and are less tolerant to failures. I truly thought the firm had something special when I joined, but are now becoming just like one of Big 4s.
It is what you make of it
Manager (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: training and development support; opportunities to interface with senior leadership
Cons: proposal development and other special projects tend to impede on responsibilities to the client
I work for the Global Public Service Sector based in Alexandria as a client-facing consultant. I have had mostly favorable experience. The one downfall would be my experiences with work/life imbalances. Utilization and business development are key performance drivers. As such, working late nights and weekends, even some holidays, became the norm. Although it is up to the individual to manage this, as a high performer, I often feel compelled to commit to support various firm initiatives in persuit of exceptional performance ratings. I work with great people on great projects, however am often overwhelmed with responsibilities.
Executive Assistant & Event Planner
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2014
I have more than 15 years of administrative project management and event coordination experience in the financial, residential and hospitality industries.
Nice Co-workers
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2014
Nice organization. Great opportunity to become familiar with the accounting profession. Great in-house employee training systems.
Financial Services Tax Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 7, 2013
Pros: free breakfast fridays
Cons: long hours
Mangement is great, They really want you to learn and retain top talent here. The benfits are great but it is extremely long hours.
Danny Torres
Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2013
 Seniored multimillion-dollar manufacturing clients: Planned, executed and concluded audit, mentored and guided new associates and interns; completed audit on time and under budget
 Planed, managed and executed Fortune 500 and Fortune 100 companies including plans requiring 11-k filling
 Performed SOX 404 top-down risk assessment to determine strength of internal controls and audit risk
 Executed testing for revenue, including cash, contracts, debt, capital assets, operating expenses, inventory and employee compensation
 Obtained an understanding of the clients’ businesses, reasons for unexplained or unexpected variances, and communicated findings with audit team and management to determine appropriate accounting treatment
 Assisted team that made possible a $10MM debt offering to a multimillion dollar company by reviewing and assessing Private Equity and Clients financial statements
 Initiated and arranged meetings with three prospective clients for the firm, compiled client background information for these meetings, and participated in preparation discussions with firm management
 Assisted the firm’s forensic practice with investigating a $1MM embezzlement and $500K insurance fraud
 To obtained a better understanding of the process of bringing in new clients, assisted the New Client Investigation department perform background investigations on potential new clients and it’s executives
Financial services group with focus on bankruptcy
Senior Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 2, 2013
Variety of projects created unique day to day experiences. I worked on everything from creating an AR model to valuing a Scottish utility plant.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Records Clerk/Librarian (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2013
My day always started with coffee. After, I would check all voice and email messages. Greeted all my co-workers that I came in contact with. Management was ok. I had great co-workers. Many pleasant and wonderful attitudes. The work environment was the most enjoyable. It made you want to help others get what they need. The hardest part of the job was working during flu season.

Grant Thornton LLP Salaries