Grant Thornton LLP

Grant Thornton LLP Employer Reviews

Great Place to Work
Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2013
Great work/life balance, culture, and people. Develops staff very well and has a large presence in the community.
Great company with good flexibility and benefits
Manager, Business Advisory Services (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 1, 2013
Great company with good flexibility and benefits. Regular promotion structure. Anyone that's researching public accounting firms on Indeed will have a good idea of this firm's culture and investment in its people.
Just like any other BIG 4 firm
Consultant (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 29, 2013
Pros: lots of organized group events and networking opportunities, opportunity to gain additional education and certification on company dime
Cons: poor coaching structure, long hours are desired, utilization appears to be the only thing that matters to leadership. if you land a poor contract, you feel like you're on a island
Lots of opportunity for certification and training, but a poor coaching/management structure is the result of this company's immense size and beaucracy. I learned a lot, but I also got stuck on one of the worst government contracts you can imagine. I wanted to move on, but company only seemed to care about high billings. Utilization is EVERYTHING at – more... these big accounting firms. Don't let any of them sell you a bill of goods about work/life balance. – less
Productive, great place to work, extremely fast paced environment at all times.
Supervisor for Audit Report Production Department (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2013
Pros: always an enormous amount of food around due to the meetings.
Cons: i have no idea what a break is rarely took them.
A typical day begins with dealing with some type of emergency on a daily basis, as soon as you arrive in the office and everyone have rushes and want to be first. Never a dull moment. I learned I must be on alert at all times. This type of fast paced environment taught me well and that I had to multi-task many projects, my team and the partners as well. – more... Great co-workers and the hardest part of the job was to leave. My most enjoyable part of the job was being my own person and the constant interaction with so many clients in-house, off-site, in-state and out-of-state. Overall I truly enjoyed my work and the people. Loved it. – less
Not a typical employee
Information Systems Consultant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 19, 2013
Unfortunately, my experience with Grant Thornton was not typical. I believe this is an excellent company, but somehow my employment arrangement did not fall within the realm of typical.
Wannabe big four firm. Long hours, low pay
Tax Intern (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2013
Pros: professional
Cons: low pay, bad hours
Grant Thornton means well, but they don't have the name that the other firms do. So they underbid and overwork everyone. End of story.
Great organization!
Anonymous (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 10, 2013
Great organization. Opportunity to work with different teams and be exposed to various industries/clients.
Good place to work with pleasant environment
Executive Assistant to Tax Practice Leader (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2013
Pros: great lighting and view in midtown with nice breakrooms including free beverages.
Cons: some groups have less administrative support than they need, little to no training offered for new programs when they are rolled out.
Grant Thornton has a personable, intelligent group of professionals which makes for a pleasant work environment. The downside for me is that I need to be in a faster-paced role with more challenging responsibilities and a more focused role.
Great Place to work
IT Asset Administrative Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 2, 2013
Pros: advance in career
Wonderful Co-workers and opportunity to advance in career
Fun place to work with great people
Acting Manager, Business Advisory Services (BAS) (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2013
Pros: flatter organization than b4
Cons: travel
Great place to build a career and advance quickly. Senior management and staff are less pretentious than the competition.
Very intense environment, filled with room for advancement
Tax Associate II (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 27, 2013
Grant Thornton operate more like a family office. They have an open door policy where there are ample opportunity to learn.
Expectations not met
Compensation & Benefits Consulting Associate (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: room for growth
Cons: office politics
My expectations of management and culture are not what I expected when I interviewed for my current position.
Good Experience
Tax Associate (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2013
The firm provides solid experience through high volume of work.
Learning experience
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKFebruary 1, 2013
This was my first time preparing tax returns and I found that I very much enjoyed it
good entry level positions
Property Tax Analyst (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: work life balance bad
Difficulties to advance
There are not reimbursement to study
Your average Corporate American job
Design Team Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2013
Grant Thornton is not a bad place to work--you start at 8:30, you leave at 5, you put in your overtime, you go home.

But what I didn't see from any of the employees there was passion. No one seemed to want to be there--it was more of a way to pay bills than anything else. I will say, though, the compensation was excellent!

As with any job, you have – more... the politics, etc. In my department (proposal writing), the coworkers seemed a bit catty. Job security was low--they laid off 5 people in the first year--a fourth of the initally hired workforce.

The resources for designers was severly lacking. It's not an environment that fosters creativity, and we felt more like monkeys being told to spit out bad design requests more than anything else.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the activities that the leader put together--there was a lot of team building, and that was nice.

All in all, Grant Thornton was a pretty average experience. If you're into accounting and being in an office all day, this is the place for you! – less
Good work life balance; hard to climb up the ladder
Consultant (Current Employee), Alexandria, VADecember 27, 2012
Mysterious round table (annual review)--comments are only shared among managers and higher up. No visibility to the lower management. Promotion really depends on who is your manager.
Review Summary @ Grant Thornton LLP
Executive Assistant to OMP (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 5, 2012
Pros: i work with some really good & hard working people
Cons: culture / 8 to 1 ratio on support staff to executives
Providing proactive executive support; including phones, receiving visitors, all aspects of travel, calendaring and scheduling. Meeting planning & execution; both onsite and offsite, including presentation materials. All account payable & receivables processing for the Houston Office.
NA
OI-GPS Consultant (Former Employee), Alexandria, VA/Brooklyn, NyDecember 2, 2012
Great company. Solid management. Great advancement opportunities.
Was a self employed sub contractor.
Self Employed Contractor (Former Employee), Alexandria, VANovember 5, 2012
Was assigned as a consultant to Grant Thornton Personnel training them for working with the National Finance office of GSA.