Grant Thornton LLP Employee Reviews in United States

good entry level positions
Property Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 24, 2013
Difficulties to advance
There are not reimbursement to study
Pros
good benefits
Cons
work life balance bad
Great Place to Work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2013
Great work/life balance, culture, and people. Develops staff very well and has a large presence in the community.
Welcoming Coworkers
Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2015
Managers and associates are easy to work with and provide a helpful culture of learning. There does not seem to be mobility in changing projects. Expected to be on an engagement for atleast 6 months.
Houston office - The partner is best friends with a senior manager....
Senior Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2014
The office culture is cut-throat. The new staff can do no wrong and often leave the senior out and bad-mouth them in an effort to advance. Very cliquish and if you're not in you don't stand a chance. Managers who don't want anyone to advance.... Don't work in the Houston office.
Pros
public accounting experience on resume
Cons
office politics and clique.
Na
OI-GPS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA/Brooklyn, NyDecember 2, 2012
Great company. Solid management. Great advancement opportunities.
Excellent learning environment for college hires.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 15, 2015
Excellent learning environment for college hires. Experience varies by department and the culture in one group could be very strong. In other departments, there could be a lack of cohesiveness.
Great place to work for
Manager - Forensic Valuation Services/FIDS (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2015
Well connected teams, great management, focused on both qualitative and quantitative metrics when it comes to performance management. Very similar to the Big Four work cycles, since the company is an audit firm. Management takes active effort to understand and cater to employee needs.
Out sourcing
Technical Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 29, 2015
I've been with the company over a year and everything was great till company is considering to out source there IT. It is a great place to work for the time being.
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
outsourcing
Good Workplace with advanements
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2015
Good company to work for with advancement possibilities; however, the work load can be overwhelming. There's little time for family due to the deadlines and work schedules. No privacy.
Pros
free beverages
Cons
no break times-constantly working
Essential position for technical accounting development as well as project management.
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeJuly 7, 2014
At Grant Thornton, I was an audit and assurance associate for nearly two years, and two full busy seasons. I worked on a range of different types of audits, reviews, and compilations for several key industries in the Wisconsin region.

Beginning in my second year at Grant, I started to serve as the 'in-charge' accountant for various benefit plan and audit engagements. As the in-charge, I was responsible for the engagement timing, audit documentation, peer review, as well as the financial statement preparation in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).

The most difficult part of the job was managing several engagements concurrently, however my hard work and determination provided me the platform in which I was able to provide deliverables in a timely manner.

I worked on engagements in numerous types of industries such as governmental, manufacturing, insurance, wholesaler, real estate, IT, as well as the non-for-profit sector.
Pros
excellent benefits, strong peer group, audit & accounting training, resources to perform accounting research.
Cons
dwindling market in the wisconsin region
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Records Clerk/Librarian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2013
My day always started with coffee. After, I would check all voice and email messages. Greeted all my co-workers that I came in contact with. Management was ok. I had great co-workers. Many pleasant and wonderful attitudes. The work environment was the most enjoyable. It made you want to help others get what they need. The hardest part of the job was working during flu season.
great people to work with
Independent Contractor - Sales &Use/Indirect Taxes (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
overall, good people to work with on the team i was assigned to, limited chances for opportunity to transition to full time employment
Pros
teamwork approach - good staff people
Cons
no full time employment opportunity
No Real Career Growth
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  USAJune 19, 2014
GT is cool if you're just starting out and looking to continue your partying days from college. However, if you're looking for a firm that actually believes in cultivating and progressing your career, this isn't the place for you.
Pros
the people and constant happy hours
Cons
low pay, tons of work, no careet mobility
Professional Accounting Firm That is Constantly Growing
National Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2013
Grant Thornton always has its eyes set on growing the business, and its vision and values reflect that. They put their focus on the principles of respect, integrity, professional excellence, and leadership. The management at the top and the people all around are top-notch.
Greatest Job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago IllinoisDecember 18, 2014
Great Office environment
Great Pay
Great Benefits
Great co-workers
It is what you make of it
Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 24, 2014
I work for the Global Public Service Sector based in Alexandria as a client-facing consultant. I have had mostly favorable experience. The one downfall would be my experiences with work/life imbalances. Utilization and business development are key performance drivers. As such, working late nights and weekends, even some holidays, became the norm. Although it is up to the individual to manage this, as a high performer, I often feel compelled to commit to support various firm initiatives in persuit of exceptional performance ratings. I work with great people on great projects, however am often overwhelmed with responsibilities.
Pros
training and development support; opportunities to interface with senior leadership
Cons
proposal development and other special projects tend to impede on responsibilities to the client
Program Management
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 13, 2013
Provided PMO support which included vendor management, risk management, EVM analysis, business case development/analysis, rick management, Physical and Personnel security, COOP planning, Disaster Recovering planning, ERP implementation support, scope management, contract management.
Productive, great place to work, extremely fast paced environment at all times.
Supervisor for Audit Report Production Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2013
A typical day begins with dealing with some type of emergency on a daily basis, as soon as you arrive in the office and everyone have rushes and want to be first. Never a dull moment. I learned I must be on alert at all times. This type of fast paced environment taught me well and that I had to multi-task many projects, my team and the partners as well. Great co-workers and the hardest part of the job was to leave. My most enjoyable part of the job was being my own person and the constant interaction with so many clients in-house, off-site, in-state and out-of-state. Overall I truly enjoyed my work and the people. Loved it.
Pros
always an enormous amount of food around due to the meetings.
Cons
i have no idea what a break is rarely took them.
Challenging, fast paced environment with a supportive, team building atmosphere
Audit Senior (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2014
A senior auditor is typically responsible for preparing and executing financial statement audit testing for clients within various industries as well as overseeing and developing staff auditors. There is a high degree of interaction with clients to help ensure necessary information flow for effective and efficient auditing. I enjoy the daily challenges I face that ensure my continued learning, the support and encouragement from colleagues that keeps me motivated, and the ability to teach subordinates on the firm's methodologies and application of accounting guidance in developing testing.
Challenging Work Environment.
Manager/Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 29, 2014
I learned how to management and prioritize multiple tasks. Additionally, I gained valuable knowledge as how to successfully cater to clients needs.