Grant Thornton

Grant Thornton Employer Reviews

Good company to work for
Consultant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 22, 2014
Good company to work for. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Great Springboard for a Career
Audit Manager (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 25, 2014
I have been working at Grant Thornton International full-time for more than 6 years

Pros – 1) Fantastic learning enviornment that provides knowledge and skill set necesssary to be sussessful in many fields of endevour 2) Quickly move up through ranks 3)Reasonable work life balance (especially when compared to big 4 accounting firms 4)Work enviornment that allows one to bring their whole self to work.

Cons – 1) 55 hour workweek Jan - April 2) Pay is comparable to other public accounting firms, but low compared to industry.

Advice to Senior Management – Bridge the gap between salaries available in industry and at GT.

n/a
Risk / Audit Analyst (Former Employee), New JerseyApril 21, 2014
n/a - 9 to 5 work day. Rather typical environment.
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Trying too hard to be like Big 4
Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 30, 2014
Pros: compensation similar to big 4
Cons: no recognition
The work-life balance is awful. You don't get world class clients like Big 4. The hiring quality is going south. I would either decide to go Big 4 or go to a large regional firm.
Hard working employees
Accountant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 3, 2014
All employees were dedicated to their jobs
The hardest part was maintaining a life outside of work
The best part were my co-workers
Lack of opportunity - no project wrk in HCM
Solutions Architect/Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: lack of work
No project work available since the acquisition from previous company
A great place to work
Senior Associate - Comp. & Benefits Consulting (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: snacks every afternoon....bagels every friday...
My time at Grant Thornton was one both enjoyable and rewarding. Great amount of knowledge learned by a fantastic group of colleagues.
Bad experience
Consultant (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 6, 2014
It was certainly a learning experience, but managers there are very demanding and hard to work with.
Good company with growth opportunities.
Lead Developer/DBA (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 27, 2014
• Worked as the lead Developer on the project by providing leadership and architectural guidance to business and development teams.
• Designed and architected new ETL interfaces and Data Marts for Enterprise Data Warehouse as per business requirements.
• Handled all DBA responsibilities for the Enterprise Data Warehouse and installed database patches.
• Developed Logical and Physical models for Enterprise Data Warehouse with Metadata and Data Dictionaries.
• Responsible for infrastructure capacity planning and defining Service Level Agreement.
I am a contractor
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Edison, NJOctober 21, 2013
I research about companies based on requests that come in. Management is very nice.
Learn a lot
Senior Auditor (Former Employee), İstanbul, T34October 18, 2013
Face an increasing variety of internal control requirements, including Securities and Exchange Commission rules, Sarbanes-Oxley regulations, GAAP requirements and the evolving issue of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). AERS practice combines our knowledge and experience in the areas of financial reporting, risk management, and compliance, to help address our clients’ most important issues, with a focus on value and quality.
Great place to start your career
Senior (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 6, 2013
Pros: flexible work arrangements provided
Great place to launch career and build technical abilities
People passionate about what they do; work long hours with little reward
They were a great overall Public Accounting Firm!
Int'l Expatriate Services - Senior Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 4, 2013
Pros: knowledge learned
Cons: not what my life's ambition has become
I enjoyed working for Grant Thornton. But I believe I was meant to work in the sports arena. But overall they were a great company to work for while there.
Good Brand
Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 23, 2013
This was a school project with the company.
They where agile, what was really important to me, and everything looked as professional as it can be.
Good culture, lower compensation, 3.5 out of 5
Consulting and Auditing (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 28, 2013
Pros: culture, people
Cons: compensation, inconsistent project management
Good culture, down-to-earth people, difficult to have work life balance at times. Management may be good (uncommon) to shaky (more common) depending on the project. They do not reimburse for daily metro costs, or mileage, and starting salary is often less than at the Big 4.

Poor project management leads to higher turnover of the good talent.
Great place to work!
Business Advisory Services, Senior IT Auditor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 27, 2013
Flexible, great pay and benefits, and you are constantly learning.
Great tax and audit form
Bill Processor (Former Employee), Charlotte, North CarolinaMarch 4, 2013
Pros: wonderful benefits
Cons: lots of pressure
While Grant Thornton may not be the biggest and most recognized accounting firm in the world, it is very employee friendly. I learned the the success of a company not only counts on the top brass performing at a high level, but that all employees follow that example.
My co-workers and I were a great team
Payroll Processor/Tax Accountant Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2013
• Daily responsibilities included preparation and high-volume data entry of 900+ employees including hourly/salary data, tax data and banking information using Lawson payroll system.
• Responsible for processing and distributing checks for multi-state region.
• Handling incoming telephone and e-mail inquiries from Human Resources personnel and employees regarding payroll and resolving any problems in a timely manner.
• Liaison for Payroll and IT for Lawson upgrade
• Processing manual payroll checks as requested
• Maintaining and reconciling general ledger accounts affiliated with payroll; preparing journal entries using CMS financial system and performing account reconciliation using Excel spreadsheets.
• Set up payroll garnishments, child support, and levy deductions
People are great to work with
Intern- IT Auditor (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 26, 2012
Pros: free bagels on fridays and birthdays, as well as office parties
Cons: only 17 days of pto allowed a year and if it isn't used, it is gone.
Come in the office at my leisure and begin my work. On busy times of the year i would come in early and leave late, but on the less busy times, there wasn't any micromanagement. Management was great, gave plenty of time to finish the work, but a lack of communication exists, and not really much of an open door policy. If they had a problem with you, or pretty much any co-worker had a problem with you, no one would communicate with you until its too late. Not really much feedback. A coaching system was in place, but i was unfortunate and did not really have one as my coach wasn't even aware they were my coach. Hardest Part of the job was the standard set by management, which is good. The most enjoyable part were the extra activities the company paid for, such as kickball, basketball, baseball etc....
Great Place to Work
IT Auditor (Current Employee), Salt Lake CityDecember 18, 2012
GT was a great place to work. The experience is amazing as I was able to work on over 20 different clients and view their IT organizations. I was able to see what worked well with certain companies and what didn't work well in other organizations. I worked on controls audits, penetration tests, and SSAE16 audits.

1 2 3 4 5

About Grant Thornton

Granting you the serenity to know that your company's finances and operations are in order, Grant Thornton is the US member firm – Read more