Grant Thornton Employee Reviews in United States

Employee Centric
Instructional Design Consultant (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2016
Full-time employees are treated very well. Lots of perks, benefits, work-life balance. Pays well. Treated with respect.
Administrative people RUN do not apply
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New EnglandOctober 9, 2015
I've been in corporate America for a long time and Grant Thornton is the WORST company to work for if you are in the Administrative field.
They do not offer any bonuses for admin they only give that to the Professionals
GT does not realize out sourcing to INDIA not only admin but taxes and auditing is going to get them in trouble.

Upper management is the worst, they never recognize admin at any of the "Town Hall Meetings" you have upper managers who send out emails stating what a great year it has been and everyone would be pleased with their increases...

All admin this year received $1,000.00 flat raise not valued for their employee input. No reviews were given out to the admin staff in New England

HR department is very bad they do not know what to do in regards to employees in other states, they should know each state's rules.

The GT 'motto' is CLEARRLY ONE and that doesn't come near the truth as it is CLEARRLY one for upper management only.
Pros
can't think of anything for administrative staff
Cons
If you have any self respect do not apply for any position here as an admin.
Unique public accounting culture
Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 29, 2015
Great people, ping-pong, basketball hoops, frozen yogurt etc.

Compensation and benefits are in line with industry

Updated office environment
Accessible managemet, supportive team
AUDIT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 22, 2016
As Audit Associate for Grant Thornton our work environment changed on a semi-regular basis. Working at client sites allowed us to directly collaborate with staff and exercise communication skills. My work was directly supervised by a senior associate, however, tracking and recording my progress was entirely my responsibility. This final step taught me how to be thorough in my written communication.
Management accessibility was one of the greatest tools to have as an associate. Learning a new skill involves asking a lot of questions, and my superiors never seemed to tire of training. Working as a close team we developed strong interpersonal skills and became a unit working as one.
Pros
closely knit group
Cons
job security, work/life balance
Standard Public Accounting Firm
Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2016
Overall the hours will be long both during busy season and depending on which industry you specialize in. I understand that the hours are not as intense as one of the Big 4, but work/life balance is at a minimum unless you are upper management. There are some great people at this company, but I feel that the best workers are overworked and eventually leave because there is no "down time" or off season. However, if you are willing to put up with the roller coaster, the company does offer great advancement opportunities and will invest heavily in an individual as they progress through the ranks.
Pros
Travel opportunities and great co-worker
Cons
Unexperienced middle management, little work/life balance
Amazing Work place
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas TXMay 30, 2016
Read and answer emails, answer phones for my partners. Everyday I am in charge of keeping up with five partners expenses and receipts and process them in Chrome River, I make sure they are all coded correctly. I am in charge of scheduling meeting and scheduling of conference room and VC connect, in charge of overseeing the office assistance with operations. I also assisted my partners with daily tasks and spread sheets. I keep track of time entry for the audit department of 400 audit employees. I also am the go to person for checking in and out mobile monitors and keyboards.
Pros
Lots of perks and FTO policy
Cons
really far away from my house
Very Productive days and busy
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 19, 2016
Typical work day :meeting with clients, lots of time management skills are necessary, organizational skills are a plus. I learned how to become a Project Manager, I juggled multiple task at the same time and met deadlines under pressure. I was an independent worker. The hardest part of my day was finding the end to it. The most enjoyable part of the job is working remotely.
Pros
Remote access
Cons
long work hours
Great Work/Life Balance, Poor Management
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 2, 2016
The hours at Grant Thornton don't get any worse than 60 hours a week which makes for an easy busy season. However, the competence levels take a steep drop from Big, ghost ticking is sadly common, and half of the GT employees hold a grudge against Big 4 for not getting a job offer.
Pros
Cons
Incompetence and Inferiority Complexes to Big 4
Very friendly work place
Mailroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  333 John Carlye St Alexandria Va 22314April 11, 2016
My time at Grant Thornton was very nice. The people their was very friendly and helpful. A typical day at work for me was making copies for clients and staff and making sure the documents got to where they need to be at a decent time. Their really was no hard part of the job.The most enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Free Lunch & Soda
Cons
The mess sometimes people made at the job.
Great coworkers and learning opportunities but difficult to advance
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2016
Overall, I learned a lot and enjoyed many things about Grant Thornton, however I think that working on the internal client serving side of the business presented many disadvantages and did not give me as much of an opportunity for fair compensation or advancement.
Collaborative Work Environment
Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILNovember 2, 2015
Grant Thornton's IT division in Oak Brook was a great place to work. GT had a collaborative work environment in which everyone's opinion and feedback mattered. Individuals were also expected to grow in their roles and the company supported employees by paying for certification and outside training.

I felt like the work that I did with the management group was impactful and helped make the business better at predicting current and future needs.
Pros
Collaborative work environment, respect of employees, strong employee ownership of work quality
Cons
Strategic leadership has decided to outsource IT roles, signed agreement with outsourcing firm
Gt
Sr. Associate (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 13, 2016
Really depends which group/client you work for - the culture is a bit hypocritical though. All things considered it's a pretty good place to work and you have opportunities to move across the firm.
GT is a great place to work,there is great management and support for staff and flexible work environment
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 6, 2016
I like working for Grant Thornton because of the great management and career support.I will recommend this firm to any body looking for an opportunity in public accounting
A Growing Accounting Firm with a Great Culture and Vision
Senior IT Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMay 9, 2016
Immensely rewarding experience working at GT. I highly recommend it if you want to pursue a career related to Accounting.
Pros
Great Benefits and second to none with work life balance.
Cons
Recently outsourced their IT department.
Use caution
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2016
Only for young people fresh out of college with no children or outside responsibilities. If this does not describe you, do not apply.
Pros
flexible time off
Cons
not patient or compassionate towards coworkers
funny comapny
Tax Associate II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2016
The company overhired its interns. it had to lay off staff to get the new people get into the job. it needs to think twice before it hires so many people.
Pros
friendly associates
Cons
lack of advancement
Consider tone at the top
Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 18, 2016
Depends on the project is your secret to success in this company. As a mid-size company you definitely get more visibility if you do a great job. Find a mentor and people that you trust and you will succeed.
Accountant (Audit Intern) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 31, 2016
I learned so much throughout my time at GT, recruiting events are amazing, awesome company culture, management is down to earth and very approachable!
Pros
two many too list
Good Benefits and people
Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 15, 2016
The work environment while not travelling was not productive. There was no cubicles to use for privacy. Excellent co-workers at the office and on the road.
Gain a ton of experience
Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 22, 2016
You are given a lot of freedom to work as long as the job is completed. Good culture with fun co-workers. Lots of large and complex clients to gain experience with. Rough seasons based on your client portfolio.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grant Thornton. Our community is ready to answer.