Grant Thornton Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Managind Director (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 14, 2017
Grant Thornton is a growing national firm that clearly values staff and employee input. I highly recommend the firm as an alternative to the Big 4 or smaller regional firms.
Pros
Good culture, treat people well, growing firm
Cons
No major cons
Work
Experienced Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 12, 2017
It's a good place to learn many different aspects of a business. It is expected you learn fast and learn often. It really depends in which office you are in and what service line you are a part of.
Pros
Good benefits, Flexible Time Off, and good pay
Cons
Some of the projects are not consulting engagements, they are very operational and don't teach much
Business Advisory Services - Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2017
Good place to start your career and learn. Good management that looks after you and will make sure to keep you on path towards your career goals. Busy season is going to suck no matter where you are in public accounting.
Good Firm Good Clients
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2017
Every group is different but on the whole the firm is moving in a positive direction. New office renovation makes it a comfortable atmosphere with quality infrastructure.
Great company, but not quite Big 4
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 1, 2017
GT is a great place with great people to start your career. However, the clients that you might be working with are not the best, given that they are not big established companies, which are mainly audited by the Big 4 firms. There are some interesting clients that you will work with who are going through growing pains, but do not expect fortune 500 companies. Given that you will have a great work life balance and busy season is not as bad as it is for the big four. I barley had to work any Saturdays, which was a huge plus!
Pros
Great people, worklife balance, and culture
Cons
Clients are not the best and not the big four
Lost in the Shuffle
SENIOR AUDIT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2017
I started as an experienced senior associate and I just feel lost in the shuffle. I was unassigned for 2 months straight, not really sure what to do. When I asked management what to do, I was sent to several different people who didn't help me a whole lot.
Pros
1-2 weeks off for holidays, unlimited PTO
Career Growth
Tax Associate II (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 20, 2017
Grant Thornton has a challenging environment that allows for career growth. There is a high emphasis on culture and opportunities to get involved with volunteering.
A great company to work for.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2017
I have worked with many companies and this one by far was the best. Grant Thornton was the perfect epitome of an awesome work environment and appreciation of their employees.

The hardest part of my job was working with various international time zones for live meetings and conference calls. It wasn't odd to have a call at 6:00am before even making it into the office.

I learned so much about international cultures, SEC regulations, international event planning and heavy corporate travel arrangements.

Hands down this was one of the best company experiences ever.
Pros
Travel
Cons
short breaks, a few before office hours
Grant Thornton
Sourcing Senior (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 16, 2017
During my tenure with Grant Thornton they had poor leadership over HR and Recruiting. She was very "old school" way of thinking and very controlling. GT is a good firm, but I would not consider returning with that type of leadership still in place.
Pros
good integrity
Cons
Poor leadership
Challenging finance and accounting triage work – Restatement Work
Sr. Auditor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 14, 2017
My experience was different than most Sr. Auditors as I was an experienced hire that mainly worked on special projects such as financial restatements. I did do some audit work but mainly I worked for Partners out of other offices in support of the Business Advisory Service practice (BAS). My typical work could only be explained as financial triage. I would enter the company with a small team of finance and accounting “swiss army men”, and we would proceed to tackle any problem that Grant was hired to resolve within the Accounting realm. These were always difficult issues that required outside consulting intervention.
Pros
Major project work for large companies alongside very talented team members. Great benefits.
Cons
In my office, there was no BAS practice, only audit and tax.
culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2017
Good firm

Struggling with direction to which to grow its services and business lines

Struggling with culture in that on one hand they covet being small but on the other hand they use the same chargeability model that the large firms use
Productive and Stress Free workplace
CPE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 14, 2017
Everyone was awesome to work with. No micro managers. Never had any issues with an employee. Enjoyed coming to work everyday. Great break room and facilities.
Pros
Coffee/Pop machines = Free
Cons
Limited amount of coffee cups
Very confused culture
Sr. Manager and Lead Manufacturing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 13, 2017
I was in the very small JD Edwards practice and the Managing Partner at my location didn't understand what we did. I kept getting pressured to attend governance meetings and such with the accounting group and my boss told me not to go because they didn't apply to me, yet this angered the Managing Partner.

The other downside is that their JDE practice was an acquisition of a small JDE business partner in Kansas City. It's a bunch of really good people to work with, but their install base is understandably mid-west centric. In other words, they have accounts in remote, boring locations.
Pros
Great bunch of people in the JDE practice
Cons
Accounting and Audit side of the business don't understand
Productive fun place to work
Audit Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2017
learned a lot. Busy season is long hours but they try to work with you. People are really great. Lots of oppurtunities. Loved the free lunches.
Good Overall
Senior Consultant, Global Public Sector (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 11, 2017
Friendly Work Environment. Learning Environment. Fun Projects.

Fun Activities and plenty of learning opportunties
Great place to work for new college grads
Attest Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 6, 2017
Great place to work for new college grads and vacation days are unlimited. Expect to do a lot of recruiting at your Alma mater. Most people work 2 years and then move on to non-client serving jobs.
Pros
Unlimited vacation days
Rude staff
Typist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 1, 2017
All of the staff treated me like I had the plague! All of these college grads strutting around like a rooster! Not a pleasant place to work. If one of the Partners does not like you, you're out! Pay was ok, but even Office Manager made remarks about the partners.
Pros
Pay was ok
Cons
Working with rude people
Great Comp[any to work for.
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 20, 2017
Excellent company, very professional management, friendly great environment, non pressure understanding management, great benefits, closer to restaurants.
Good internship
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2017
The internship was great. I learned a lot, but it is better to be an intern than a regular employee. With overtime involved, the associates got paid less than the interns. The salary was much lower than I had expected, especially for relocating to a big city. The culture is fantastic, and the employers are much nicer than the Big 4 employees any day. The employees in GT are not arrogant and full of themselves like some employees in the Big 4.
Standard mid-size public accounting firm
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2017
Grant Thornton is happy to be at the top of the mid-sized public accounting firms. Employees learn a lot and get a lot of experience with the diverse clients.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Work Life Balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grant Thornton. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval