Grass Valley Employee Reviews in United States

Transition of TV industry to digital was difficult for GVG
Stockroom Supervisor, Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Nevada City, CAMarch 15, 2014
I started as an QC Inspector, and learned to check parts against the blueprints to insure all dimensions were within tolerance. I communicated with engineers to assure that the specifications on all incoming parts were being met. I was instrumental in revising the inspection procedure of printed circuit boards to more accurately reflect needed specifications.

As the company contracted and divisions merged, I was moved into Receiving where I became proficient at data entry.

My final months there I managed a stockroom containing a five million dollar inventory.

The hardest part of working at GVG during that decade was watching the continual contraction of the workforce. As I recall, the workforce contracted from over 1600 to less than 400 during the decade I was employed there.

Management was fair and very professional.

Co-workers were a varied lot. Many were excellent folks to work with.
Pros
large corporation, good benefits, remarkable campus
Cons
company was in decline at the time
Fantastic opportunity that strengthened my channel sales development
Channel Sales Manager (U.S./Canada) (Former Employee) –  Nevada City, CAFebruary 7, 2013
Overall my time at Grass Valley was exceptional. I continued to develop my skill set as a channel sales professional as well as enjoyed the members of my team that I worked with. Highly professional and dedicated.
Pros
direct supervisor was fantastic. strong leadership and strong product and industry knowledge.
Cons
career advancement was non-existant.
Software QA for Video Production Switcher - Lab System Engineer
System Engineer - Interoperability Lab (Former Employee) –  Nevada City, CAFebruary 12, 2013
I was doing Software Quality Assurance for the next generation Video Production Switcher. I worked closely with the design engineers during the development of the entire project using Agile Methodologies. I was part of a scrum team which met daily and demoed our accomplishments bi-weekely. I also maintained the Switcher Software and Switcher Hardware labs in support of the developers. I was part of an amazing team of engineers and worked well with them.
Pros
worked on team that developed a start of the art video production swticher
Cons
layoffs and plant closure
Large broadcast systems for networks and local TV Stations
Customer support engineer (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CADecember 4, 2012
I started as a technician on large video systems. Advanced to technical support and into marketing.
Company has had several owners since I left. Went from a locally managed to being managed from France and now San Francisco.
Pros
best quality video products and service in the business
Cons
now a big corporation with 90 days foresight.
Enjoyable job on a senior team
Contractor- Lead (Former Employee) –  Nevada City, CAFebruary 9, 2014
Work closely with the frame team to understand their needs and direct the efforts of the team in Malaysia to get that work implemented.
Fast-paced work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 12, 2012
This company has many very smart, hard working individuals.