Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews in United States

Very enjoyable environment
Canvasser and management of canvassing crew (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 20, 2015
The people, especially directors are very supportive and are always looking for ways you can improve. Great benefits, flexible hours, genuinely caring coworkers. A company with a cause. However, your success is often based on the decisions made by other people, which sometimes made it difficult and job security was a bit of an issue.
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
Job security
Wonderful Office Environment, Difficult Work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaMay 7, 2015
Canvasser position involves standing in the street, reciting the campaign message to supporters, and presenting the organization professionally. Great place for training in sales, great customer service experience. Management is flexible. Incredibly open office environment. Strict non-discrimination rules makes it a safe workplace for all. They hire ex-felons, lgbt people, and older folk. Hardest part is keeping the job. You must raise quota in one of your first three days or you will not get the job. Pay is based on office average of amount raised. Incredibly sweet people working there.
Pros
accepting of all people, decent pay, plenty of breaks
Cons
hard to meet quotas
An ok foray into political campaigning
Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day involves giving recruiters a list of applicants to call and locations for field recruiters to poster and flyer before meeting with campaign staff. Canvass leadership outlines staffing needs for seasonal contracts and contributes to intermediate and longterm recruitment plans. Coworkers are mostly passionate college students or recent grads, but seldom last long due to the difficult nature of political fundraising. The hardest part of the job is seeing bright eyed young people's passion erode in the face of constant rejection. Winning elections is a surreal experience and amazing feeling that overshadows most of the industry difficulties.
Pros
Flexible scheduling most of the year, rare opportunity to impact government, meet lots of interesting people
Cons
Low pay, ridiculous hours during elections, high turnover, very very demanding work
Speaking with the public to inform them of the community
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 1, 2015
An average work day i had to raise an certain amount a day to the campaign office.Speaking with the public on a daily basic at different locations each day.Our job was to speaking to them about bullying on parent an planet hood an the issues there where have an wanted to fix in the community.
Great for students looking to gain experience
Student Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 11, 2015
The salary they advertise is a bit misleading. If you are looking to support yourself on this job alone you better get a second part time. After you pass the interview they extend to you a conditional offer which is a three day grace period. In this three days they will expect you to raise $100.00 or get two people to become monthly givers on the street. Harsh weather is not an excuse to miss quota so prepare to be in the rain, hail, freezing cold snow, and high heat talking to people who are more likely than not much less enthusiastic about whichever cause your pushing to stand there with you. If you have little sales experience or are not comfortable talking to people this is not the job for you. If you have any sales experience you may come to find out that your commissions are less than handsome. compensation is minimum wage base pay unless you are a director who is paid salary. The most any core level canvasser can make is $70.00 per day. No benefits, direct deposit, or sick days for core staff unless promoted into director position. Those seeking to be promoted into a manager position must have a working car which they are okay with using for work and they will be compensated for gas and parking. However even those outstanding canvassers who wish to move into management will not have the chance to do so if they are not able to provide transportation. Managers are able to make an extra $8.00/day if every other team member hits quota for that day.

Furthermore you will learn a lot about what is going on in politics on the local and federal level. You will also learn a
  more... lot about how the world is affected by the things that happen in our own backyards. Great people, interesting experience, warm staff.  less
Pros
Informative, warm atmosphere, easy interview process
Cons
very demanding quota, very little predictability in scheduling, very few opportunities to advance
Poor Management Undervalues Employees
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2015
GCI is all about the numbers, specifically the amount of money you raise for their campaigns. Management is sloppy and basically views employees, whom they call "shifts", as expendable morons. Several of us were strung along with promises for advancement only to see such opportunities repeatedly go to outsiders. Meeting daily and weekly quotas is a pain and even reliable employees are viewed suspiciously by management. It's basically a place for college students with no marketable skills on summer break to make some cash. Other organizations of a similar ilk offer better wages.
Pros
pizz night on thursdays...if you're lucky you might get two slices
Cons
uncompensated lunch, non-livable wage, no benefits
the offices reminded me of a start up company with morning huddles and goal expectation.
Field Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 5, 2016
The office reminded me of a start up company with it's limited office space and morning routines. Great place to get sales experience and stepping stone.
challenging and unstable, but fun for the relentless idealist
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2015
little to no job security, no benefits, but progressive and fun job environment and supportive atmosphere.

cool ppl, hard work, good summer job for students
Pros
the day is broken up; its for a good cause
Cons
being outside in extreme weather
Great Work Experience; You'll Never Work Harder in your Life
Lead Assistant Canvass Director (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 26, 2015
This is a great job for the right person. If you care about progressive issues, if you care about empowering people, if you want to make a direct impact in people's lives, this is perfect for you.

I have developed as a leader so much over the past year. I have gained invaluable work experience here.

I have met some of the most amazing, inspirational people of my life.

But this is hard work.

Minimally working 6 days a week, 70-90 hours a week. Physically demanding, being on your feet all day (and night). A LOT of detail-oriented responsibilities. Responsible for HR, payroll, nightly numbers, leading trainings in the mornings and evenings, conducting informational interviews in the afternoon, double, triple, quadruple checking for mistakes, large influx of calls, insane amount of planning, and a terrible upper management.

A lot of expected of you, and you're never doing enough, according to the Central office. The best way to handle it is to listen to what they have to say, and implement what you feel is appropriate. It's the only way to survive.
Pros
Amazing people, invaluable work experience, leadership development, interpersonal development, getting to be outside, fighting for causes you believe in
Cons
Poor compensation for the hours, too much responsibility for too few people, unrealistic expectations from Regional and Central staff
fun being out and meeting people
Staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2016
I enjoyed being out in the field working trying to get people on board to help fight for discrimination. I loved being on the university campus talking to all the students about how they were interested in helping fight for the cause.
Pros
the pay, the environment, boss and coworkers
Cons
distance, hours.

Want to know more about Grassroots Campaigns?

Ask a question
Fun workplace with a few flaws.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 20, 2015
Grassroots Campaigns was a great place to work in that my coworkers there were really friendly and the atmosphere was relaxing. There was a constant demand to meet quota every week, which became harder and harder to do as our canvassing area grew smaller and smaller. In addition, while I respected the issues we discussed with pedestrians, I felt like the company was only interested in raising money, and not on raising awareness.
Pros
Good workplace environment; great coworkers
Cons
Felt like i was conning people out of their money; quotas made no sense
Negative working environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 27, 2016
The manager who sent us out every day never cared to listen to our opinions about the turf. It made it very hard to go to work with a positive attitude.
Friendly, Fun, Supportive
campaign staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2015
I absolutely loved working with Grassroots Campaign and all of the staff that I got to work with, Every day it was something new, the staff was friendly, and very supportive.
Pros
Staff, everyday
Cons
The cause will have to pull you through
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2013
I made the mistake of working here during the 2012 campaign season, so I'm not sure if my situation was typical, but I did not enjoy working for this company. Extremely long hours, During my month and a half there I wound up averaging 12-15 hours a day with few if any scheduled lunch or dinner breaks. That combined with the salary meant I was working for about half of minimum wage per hour. I had to relocate that the company said they'd take care of, in the 5 days I spent at my new location before I ended up quitting I spent in 4 different hotels, most times getting off of work after midnight and waiting around the office for an hour before they'd inform me where I was staying that night.
Pros
advocate for some truly great causes, met some great people
Cons
long hours, few breaks, low pay, management.
Great Co-Workers
Paid Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2015
It was a hectic work environment with not knowing will you will be located for any given day. Interacting with people in downtown Philadelphia was a great experience; it has helped me with being able to talk to people from all different cultures and backgrounds. My Co-Workers were always upbeat and happy to work which was contagious and made me very happy to work as well.
Working hard for a good cause
Full-Time Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2012
Work as a canvasser at Grassroots Campaigns was much performance focused. If a canvasser did not meet his quota for that day or week, they were calmly let go. Despite this, I managed to thrive and learn quite a bit collecting donations on the street level. Management was very well-trained, with a knack for getting people motivated and boosting morale. Likewise, I picked up some management skills of my own while at Grassroots, as I soon started leading teams of 4-5 canvassers myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was the beginning and the end of each day, where we all huddled in the cramped and un-air conditioned office and reflected on a job well done, or considered what challenges awaited us in the future.
Pros
amazing coworkers, very strong work ethic and environment
Cons
little job security, summer heat
Non-profit sector workplace
Lead Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 1, 2015
My day consists of scheduling and conducting interviews. I file and maintain staff files and new hire paperwork. I have gained an incredible skill set through my work in the hiring process. I compose official e-mails and manage director schedules. My co-workers are an eclectic and intelligent group of individuals who teach me and keep me laughing everyday. They help to make long work days seem shorter. The most fulfilling part of my work is fighting for progressive causes that i wholeheartedly believe in. As a political science enthusiast, it has always been my hope to bring education to our public in a way that is fun and easy to relate to and I believe this job has been an amazing outlet to accomplish that goal.
Performance based, difficult to maintain,
Street Team Canvasser/Field Mgr (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2015
It's like high school. If they like you they will help you succeed, if not they will intentionally set you up to fail. They have employees sign illegal documents, promising a sick note for 1 day out and stating they can fire people without cause (I never handed that one in), I was there just 6 weeks short of a year but, the new management did not like me despite being good at my job and it should be noted only 2 people remained at that office from when I began upon my leave taking. Most last a few months at best.
Pros
easy to get hired
Cons
outdoors in all weather, petty and unprofessional management team.
Great job environment. Make new friends while you work.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2013
Great place to work if you like the potential of making your own paycheck. Comes with a base pay plus commission. Plenty of room for advancement as well. Come in around 12 to the office, prepare for the day and then head out to work site at around 2. Stay at site until 6 before returning to office. Debrief with director after every shift. This is the best part of the day because the discuss your strengths and areas that can be improved. The hardest part of the day is the actual canvassing as you will be standing for long hours in different weather conditions. However, if you like making a difference in the world then this is the job for you.
Pros
travel reimbursement
Cons
Fun environment with awesome people.
Women's Rights Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2015
Great company, but, the pay is horrible. They will fire you after 3 days if quota isn't met. Although, this is a good place for the youth just getting their feet wet in the job market. This place is also good for people that are up for a stressful challenge.
Pros
Awesome work environment.
Cons
Horrible salary. Will terminate you if quota isn't met after 3 days.