Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews

N/a
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2017
Trained me well, ready for any position within this field.
Fast-paced, team-orientated always looking for improvement and well trained individuals. Supervisors always pushing and striving for the best.
Very Rewarding Job
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2017
Great opportunity to do further hands on work with non profit organizations. Great experience. Slightly disorganized management, you never know what your'e gonna get. Always a surprise.
Pros
Reembursment of travel fees
Cons
Disorganized staff
Communal work environment
Field Manager/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2017
This is a great job for college students who would like to work at the grassroots levels with various progressive organizations and are used to low pay.
Pros
building communication and leadership skills
Cons
pay and promotion
You won't make any money
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 13, 2017
Just really wanted to stress what others have said. The goals they set out for you are not possible to meet. I was also sent out alone to very dangerous areas of the city. I even had people open their doors, look me up and down and point blank tell me that I really shouldn't be there and should call someone to come and get me ( Grassroots had left me there and weren't coming back for several hours). Another issue to deal with is how dishonest the public can be. I would spend 30+ minutes having a great chat with someone all about the issue, they would put down all their CC details, only for me to get back to the office at the end of the day and find out that it was all incorrect, this happened frequently.
Pros
You're not chained to a desk
Cons
You wont make money, consider it volunteering.
One of the worst places to work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2017
The directors are like children and extremely catty. No matter how much money you raise for a campaign or how well you do they will always find a way to treat you like garbage. They have a cult like circle that they gather around every morning. Thank god I don't do that anymore. I was have been harassed on the field several times and all the directors could say was that there is always something you could do to prevent that. They don't care about the safety of their employees. Do not ever work here. They also eliminated the pm shift without notifying their employees which caused a lot of people to lose their job.
Pros
Reimbursed for travel
Good causes, poor managment
Assistant Director of Fundraising/Team Management (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2017
You always feel good about the causes you are fundraising for but the company is poorly managed and they expect you to work 80+ hours a week when you are only salaried for 40 hours a week. They forced us to work weekends for free and if we didn't they would find a way to fire you. It was ridiculous. They don't even have an HR department or any kind of dependable higher management system.
Pros
Fundraising for good causes
Cons
Terrible company to work for.
Great opportunity to gain experience but...
Director / GCI (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2017
The things you can learn are amazing but you will learn that no one really wants to see your advancement. It's a very cut throat environment, be prepared to be thrown under the bus. Plus they are ran by back door agreements and corporate greed.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Dignity
Great people with a lot of passion about important issues.
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 29, 2017
Nothing extensive really just a start to organizing work. But really important for learning how to fundraise and be a great canvasser they teach you everything you need to no to be set up for success.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No job security
hard to meet goal
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 21, 2017
This job is about convincing people to sponsor the planned parenthood a very controversial program in itself. Its more of a marketing deal, meeting your goal is tough .
Gci
FIELD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2017
The first place in what would be my eventual career that I worked in. Lovely people, fulfilling experience, but difficult. low pay and almost no job security. That being said there is an investing culture here in cultivating talent.
Awesome Experience, lots to learn, poor work life balance and managment
Canvass Director (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 9, 2017
I loved working at Grassroots Campaigns because of the awesome projects we worked on and the people were generally great. Directors work a lot, which means very poor work life balance, and Managers at every level have too little oversight, meaning they can make employees lives worse.
Pros
Freedom to Pursue projects, fun work, great experience and good on a resume.
Cons
Poor leadership at several levels, long hours
Not Good.
Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  scarFebruary 28, 2017
the canvassers are paid min. wage even though they work long hours, the commisions are not fair and do not really make a dent. The managment is disorganized and does not have a common vision.
Pros
fun staff and committed activists
Cons
long hours and disrespectful bosses
Decent summer job, not a career
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2017
Pretty untenable quotas required to keep your job. Fun work, however. Not for the faint of heart when it comes to extreme weather or dealing with rude people.
Non profit work is fulfilling
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Working there was great. Gave me the confidence I needed to apply for future jobs and the skillset required to talk to many different people. Each day was a new experience and I made many friends there.
Good Guys.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 16, 2017
These guys are good guys and they practice what they preach. You choose from several campaigns to canvass from, but I recommend a group that everyone is familiar with so you can can get donations (if you don't get donations, you don't make quota, and they let you go). They can't afford to feed everyone...sad to say.

I was part of a campaign canvassing drive in an effort to raise money to stop bullying in schools. Unfortunately, I made 40% of the 100% need quota of the week.

Bring a broad rim hat, a canteen, mini-backpack with snacks, a light weight jacket, hiking boots, and insets for your boots.
Pros
Happy, Happy, Happy working (did I say working? I mean Outdoor) Atmosphere
Cons
Make quota (I made 40%)
Really bad place to work
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2017
I applied for this job because I have prior experience with campaigns. The whole thing was weird from the beginning. The management all looked and acted poorly suited for the job. I was a canvasser and I am from the place they were canvassing at and I know how unsafe it is to be in certain places but because management was not from here they just stuck us anywhere. The pay was absolutely horrible you had to raise basically thousands a week to get a check more than 200$. They have you sign paperwork saying you will not sue them before they hire you which is a red flag all together. Overall I would not recommend this place to work.
Pros
Wear what you want
Cons
The whole job
Stay away if you can
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2017
Absolute worst job experience I've ever had. Little room for advancement, directors are very cliquey and stick to themselves, training sessions are largely ineffective and a waste of time. They'll make you work in a blizzard, heat wave, hurricane you name it. The compensation is nowhere near what it should be the hours and type of work that is done.
Pros
Cons
low pay, long hours, poor management
Open space and positive work environment
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
Coming into work everyday and being involved and engaged with in the overall conversation, and sometimes even leading the narratives was really motivational and positive for me.
I learned that I could lead a group of people from small to large, and could direct people with the right precedent set. I understand when I need help and when I need to regroup my ideas. The hardest part would be having a lot of responsibilities in very little time. Though getting the job done with your peers was always great and fun when we got the hang of it.
The workplace culture was very politically correct or at least it tried to be, and otherwise it was very social and everyone was equal, and if they weren't people were obviously uncomfortable with it and vocalized they;re opinions.
Grassroots
Campaign Organizer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 5, 2017
Grassroots is an amazing company. Not only do I genuinely love my job, I get to make a difference in the world. In a typical day I am recruiting my team and preparing us for a day filled with canvasing and on campus activism. The positivity and passion at my work is motivating and contagious. It's a great place to work.
Really great place to work!
Lead Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 18, 2017
I worked there for a year and had fun very single minute.loved my bosses and field managers. the rigorous training was great and they had constructive criticism . i moved away and now i miss them very much.
Pros
pizza nights
Cons
may run into negative people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grassroots Campaigns. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7