Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews

You won't make any money
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 13, 2017
Just really wanted to stress what others have said. The goals they set out for you are not possible to meet. I was also sent out alone to very dangerous areas of the city. I even had people open their doors, look me up and down and point blank tell me that I really shouldn't be there and should call someone to come and get me ( Grassroots had left me there and weren't coming back for several hours). Another issue to deal with is how dishonest the public can be. I would spend 30+ minutes having a great chat with someone all about the issue, they would put down all their CC details, only for me to get back to the office at the end of the day and find out that it was all incorrect, this happened frequently.
Pros
You're not chained to a desk
Cons
You wont make money, consider it volunteering.
One of the worst places to work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2017
The directors are like children and extremely catty. No matter how much money you raise for a campaign or how well you do they will always find a way to treat you like garbage. They have a cult like circle that they gather around every morning. Thank god I don't do that anymore. I was have been harassed on the field several times and all the directors could say was that there is always something you could do to prevent that. They don't care about the safety of their employees. Do not ever work here. They also eliminated the pm shift without notifying their employees which caused a lot of people to lose their job.
Pros
Reimbursed for travel
Good causes, poor managment
Assistant Director of Fundraising/Team Management (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2017
You always feel good about the causes you are fundraising for but the company is poorly managed and they expect you to work 80+ hours a week when you are only salaried for 40 hours a week. They forced us to work weekends for free and if we didn't they would find a way to fire you. It was ridiculous. They don't even have an HR department or any kind of dependable higher management system.
Pros
Fundraising for good causes
Cons
Terrible company to work for.
Great opportunity to gain experience but...
Director / GCI (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2017
The things you can learn are amazing but you will learn that no one really wants to see your advancement. It's a very cut throat environment, be prepared to be thrown under the bus. Plus they are ran by back door agreements and corporate greed.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Dignity
Great people with a lot of passion about important issues.
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 29, 2017
Nothing extensive really just a start to organizing work. But really important for learning how to fundraise and be a great canvasser they teach you everything you need to no to be set up for success.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No job security
hard to meet goal
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 21, 2017
This job is about convincing people to sponsor the planned parenthood a very controversial program in itself. Its more of a marketing deal, meeting your goal is tough .
Gci
FIELD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2017
The first place in what would be my eventual career that I worked in. Lovely people, fulfilling experience, but difficult. low pay and almost no job security. That being said there is an investing culture here in cultivating talent.
Not Good.
Canvass Director (Former Employee) –  scarFebruary 28, 2017
the canvassers are paid min. wage even though they work long hours, the commisions are not fair and do not really make a dent. The managment is disorganized and does not have a common vision.
Pros
fun staff and committed activists
Cons
long hours and disrespectful bosses
Decent summer job, not a career
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2017
Pretty untenable quotas required to keep your job. Fun work, however. Not for the faint of heart when it comes to extreme weather or dealing with rude people.
Non profit work is fulfilling
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Working there was great. Gave me the confidence I needed to apply for future jobs and the skillset required to talk to many different people. Each day was a new experience and I made many friends there.
Good Guys.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 16, 2017
These guys are good guys and they practice what they preach. You choose from several campaigns to canvass from, but I recommend a group that everyone is familiar with so you can can get donations (if you don't get donations, you don't make quota, and they let you go). They can't afford to feed everyone...sad to say.

I was part of a campaign canvassing drive in an effort to raise money to stop bullying in schools. Unfortunately, I made 40% of the 100% need quota of the week.

Bring a broad rim hat, a canteen, mini-backpack with snacks, a light weight jacket, hiking boots, and insets for your boots.
Pros
Happy, Happy, Happy working (did I say working? I mean Outdoor) Atmosphere
Cons
Make quota (I made 40%)
Really bad place to work
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2017
I applied for this job because I have prior experience with campaigns. The whole thing was weird from the beginning. The management all looked and acted poorly suited for the job. I was a canvasser and I am from the place they were canvassing at and I know how unsafe it is to be in certain places but because management was not from here they just stuck us anywhere. The pay was absolutely horrible you had to raise basically thousands a week to get a check more than 200$. They have you sign paperwork saying you will not sue them before they hire you which is a red flag all together. Overall I would not recommend this place to work.
Pros
Wear what you want
Cons
THE WHOLE JOB
Stay away if you can
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2017
Absolute worst job experience I've ever had. Little room for advancement, directors are very cliquey and stick to themselves, training sessions are largely ineffective and a waste of time. They'll make you work in a blizzard, heat wave, hurricane you name it. The compensation is nowhere near what it should be the hours and type of work that is done.
Pros
Cons
low pay, long hours, poor management
Open space and positive work environment
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
Coming into work everyday and being involved and engaged with in the overall conversation, and sometimes even leading the narratives was really motivational and positive for me.
I learned that I could lead a group of people from small to large, and could direct people with the right precedent set. I understand when I need help and when I need to regroup my ideas. The hardest part would be having a lot of responsibilities in very little time. Though getting the job done with your peers was always great and fun when we got the hang of it.
The workplace culture was very politically correct or at least it tried to be, and otherwise it was very social and everyone was equal, and if they weren't people were obviously uncomfortable with it and vocalized they;re opinions.
Grassroots
Campaign Organizer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 5, 2017
Grassroots is an amazing company. Not only do I genuinely love my job, I get to make a difference in the world. In a typical day I am recruiting my team and preparing us for a day filled with canvasing and on campus activism. The positivity and passion at my work is motivating and contagious. It's a great place to work.
Really great place to work!
Lead Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 18, 2017
I worked there for a year and had fun very single minute.loved my bosses and field managers. the rigorous training was great and they had constructive criticism . i moved away and now i miss them very much.
Pros
pizza nights
Cons
may run into negative people
Difficult place to stay motivated
Recruiter/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Canvassing is a very hard job. I loved all of my coworkers, but dealing with jerks on the street and standing on my feet all day was taxing. Also, it is not always easy to stay employed since you must hit a quota every week. If you have two rough weeks in a row, you could easily lose your job even if you are a fantastic canvasser. The job requires some luck.
An okay temporary job
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 28, 2016
I admire Grassroots for what it is trying to accomplish but I have a lot of ethical problems with how it goes about conducting business. It treats its full-time employees very poorly and has very little concern for canvasser's safety. They let what they're trying to do get in the way of realizing they are dealing with people trying to make a living. They expect their directors to pay for moving out of pocket, and to move at a moments notice. They treat their employees as though they are disposable and do not invest in employees who do well. The central office is disorganized and hard to get in contact with. There is very poor communication within the company and nothing is clear cut or made easy to understand. It is an okay place to work temporarily but there is very little room for advancement and the hours are long and hard for little compensation.
Pros
Some great people sometimes work within the individual offices.
Cons
Everything else.
fun people, not very supportive
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 4, 2016
Typical day starts with speaking drills, scenarios and assignments. we get assigned and head out to our canvassing locations. i liked the people i worked with,many were students like myself. management needed to be more present and give better information to employees. hardest part is convincing people to stop, most enjoyable is exploring the city.
Pros
travel, great hours
Cons
strict commissioned based
Unliveable Wage, No transparency from management
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 3, 2016
This was a hard job, low-wage, and the management and administration was poor. They suddenly decided to close the office in the city I was working in, and with only one days notice in advance. I was relying on this job in order to pay my rent but luckily I had another part-time job as well. My Canvassing Director was not transparent with me about anything, including why the Assistant Director suddenly was not part of the company anymore. I was also not paid correctly on my last paycheck or compensated for my mileage. I sent emails to the company about it and never even got a basic reply. It was honestly sketchy from start to finish, never got an official hire email or termination email. Everything was done by texting or face to face.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short Breaks, Pays minimum wage for canvassing, sketchy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grassroots Campaigns. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7