Grassroots Campaigns

Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews

Great Work Experience; You'll Never Work Harder in your Life
Lead Assistant Canvass Director (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJune 26, 2015
Pros: Amazing people, invaluable work experience, leadership development, interpersonal development, getting to be outside, fighting for causes you believe in
Cons: Poor compensation for the hours, too much responsibility for too few people, unrealistic expectations from Regional and Central staff
This is a great job for the right person. If you care about progressive issues, if you care about empowering people, if you want to make a direct impact in people's lives, this is perfect for you.

I have developed as a leader so much over the past year. I have gained invaluable work experience here.

I have met some of the most amazing, inspirational people of my life.

But this is hard – more... work.

Minimally working 6 days a week, 70-90 hours a week. Physically demanding, being on your feet all day (and night). A LOT of detail-oriented responsibilities. Responsible for HR, payroll, nightly numbers, leading trainings in the mornings and evenings, conducting informational interviews in the afternoon, double, triple, quadruple checking for mistakes, large influx of calls, insane amount of planning, and a terrible upper management.

A lot of expected of you, and you're never doing enough, according to the Central office. The best way to handle it is to listen to what they have to say, and implement what you feel is appropriate. It's the only way to survive. – less
Great Co-Workers
Paid Canvasser (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2015
It was a hectic work environment with not knowing will you will be located for any given day. Interacting with people in downtown Philadelphia was a great experience; it has helped me with being able to talk to people from all different cultures and backgrounds. My Co-Workers were always upbeat and happy to work which was contagious and made me very happy to work as well.
Non-profit sector workplace
Lead Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 1, 2015
My day consists of scheduling and conducting interviews. I file and maintain staff files and new hire paperwork. I have gained an incredible skill set through my work in the hiring process. I compose official e-mails and manage director schedules. My co-workers are an eclectic and intelligent group of individuals who teach me and keep me laughing everyday. They help to make long work days seem shorter. The most fulfilling part of my work is fighting for progressive causes that i wholeheartedly believe in. As a political science enthusiast, it has always been my hope to bring education to our public in a way that is fun and easy to relate to and I believe this job has been an amazing outlet to accomplish that goal.
Wonderful Office Environment, Difficult Work
Field Manager (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaMay 7, 2015
Pros: accepting of all people, decent pay, plenty of breaks
Cons: hard to meet quotas
Canvasser position involves standing in the street, reciting the campaign message to supporters, and presenting the organization professionally. Great place for training in sales, great customer service experience. Management is flexible. Incredibly open office environment. Strict non-discrimination rules makes it a safe workplace for all. They hire ex-felons, lgbt people, and older folk. Hardest part is keeping the job. You must raise quota in one of your first three days or you will not get the job. Pay is based on office average of amount raised. Incredibly sweet people working there.
Fun and challenging work experience
Field Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 9, 2015
G.C.I. is like the deep end of a pool- you either sink or you swim. I thrived in this atmosphere, quickly becoming one of the highest grossing field managers in our downtown office. In order to succeed one had to be adaptable, an excellent communicator, and convey confidence in all interactions.
Progressive non-profit that was in the process of revamping some of its systems.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 8, 2015
Pros: enthusiastic staff
Cons: limited tim based on the contracted time
This was an exciting environment where the employees where generally excited to be doing the work involved. As a consultant, I was there for a limited time and was there primarily to reconcile intercompany accounts and lend my experience to the staff.
Fun environment with awesome people.
Women's Rights Canvasser (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2015
Pros: Awesome work environment.
Cons: Horrible salary. Will terminate you if quota isn't met after 3 days.
Great company, but, the pay is horrible. They will fire you after 3 days if quota isn't met. Although, this is a good place for the youth just getting their feet wet in the job market. This place is also good for people that are up for a stressful challenge.
Raising Funds for non-profits
Street Canvassor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2015
On your feet for long hours.
Asking people to donate and help those in need.
Different locations daily.
Groups changing everyday.
I was able to learn a lot about different non-profits.
Performance based, difficult to maintain,
Street Team Canvasser/Field Mgr (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: easy to get hired
Cons: outdoors in all weather, petty and unprofessional management team.
It's like high school. If they like you they will help you succeed, if not they will intentionally set you up to fail. They have employees sign illegal documents, promising a sick note for 1 day out and stating they can fire people without cause (I never handed that one in), I was there just 6 weeks short of a year but, the new management did not like me despite being good at my job and it should be noted only 2 people remained at that office from when I began upon my leave taking. Most last a few months at best.
Poor Management Undervalues Employees
Field Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: pizz night on thursdays...if you're lucky you might get two slices
Cons: uncompensated lunch, non-livable wage, no benefits
GCI is all about the numbers, specifically the amount of money you raise for their campaigns. Management is sloppy and basically views employees, whom they call "shifts", as expendable morons. Several of us were strung along with promises for advancement only to see such opportunities repeatedly go to outsiders. Meeting daily and weekly quotas is a pain and even reliable employees are viewed suspiciously by management. It's basically a place for college students with no marketable skills on summer break to make some cash. Other organizations of a similar ilk offer better wages.
Happy
Canvasser (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: travel to different places
Cons: walking all day
A typical day after I arrived to work was finding out my location I was going to canvass, after I found that out I would then recieve a partner. We would then travel to our canvassing location and start the process. The process included knocking on doors, and reciting a rap, after that based off the answers they would give us we would fill out a sheet. We would do this for about four more hours then arrive back at the office and tally how many doors with knocked on and their answers. I learned that canvassing it a hard job. My managers were easygoing. My co-workers were uplifting. Hardest part of the job dealing with dogs in yards. Most enjoyable got to meet new people.
Do not waste your time
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2014
Nice people who truly want to make a difference however they treat their employee like worthless pennies.
Directors and upper staff set unreasonable quotas and expectations with ill training.
As management: In order to keep your integrity you will spend hours working harder than you could be if the office actually ran efficiently and effectively.
Directors end up working 12-16 hours a day 6 days a week
Other offices in different cities ran similarly but have better staff.

If Tiffany and Garrett still run the night canvass then you should be ok working the night shifts because Tiffany is organized and a good director.
Was a mediocre job
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 20, 2014
The job itself is bad, bad pay, bad schedule but it has a good social aspect to it
Lots of Passion, but no common sense
Various positions (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: the job attracts passionate, mission driven people. you'll make friends. i met my partner there.
Cons: lack of livable wages, misclassification of employees, terrible work/ life balance, excessive favoratism
So many problems! Long story short, working at GCI inspired me to build a career working in human resources for mission driven organizations.

1. Questionable labor practices and classification of employees.

Staff members are expected to work long hours. The long hours are mostly the result of terrible systems, poor technology, and a toxic work culture than there actually being a lot of work to do. – more...

GCI will only pay their employees the bare minimum required by law. That includes bending the law by having a very loose definition of who should be classified as an exempt worker. During the time I was in the Boston headquarters office, I saw many individuals in administrative roles given titles with director or manager in them, presumably so that they could be classified as exempt.

2. Focus on recruitment. No systems in place for staff development, training, or retention.

GCI treats people as expendable resources. They're hypocrites. They campaign for human rights and progressive values, yet have comparable labor practices to evil corporations. The excuse is always that it's fine because you're working for a cause. Bull! you can be a mission based organization and still care about your employees!

No reflection on what they're doing wrong. No desire to improve internal systems. Terrible benefits, little to no paid time off, no training or development opportunities, and most "promotions" do not come with a salary increase.

3. Toxic work culture

Drama, favoritism, and an abysmal work/ life balance made my two years at GCI horrible. There is this culture that if you can do your work in 40 hours a week, you're doing it wrong and you're not working hard enough. If you want to go home at the end of your 10 hour day and cook a meal for yourself, or socialize with friends from outside of work, or if you dare to date someone from outside the organization then you're not working hard enough because you should be spending every free moment attending office "socials". – less
Poor Communication
Assistant Canvass Director (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 11, 2014
Organization is poor in communication and they shut my office down without any warning.
Fun woRK environment and learn something new everyday there
Fundraiser (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 28, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing that i can recall
Once you get to work it's like a house party. Everyone is so aloof but still professional and everyone helps everyone. You are your own receptionist and they have such nice people in management that will help you with whatever you need.
Fun place with fun people but not good management
Recruitment Specialist / Canvasser (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2014
Pros: good people, good location, and environment
Cons: bad management
I enjoyed workking for grassroots i just wish the managers were better at their jobs. Nothing was ever organized in the office and the blame was always on the employees. The managers were nice and all but they were just too inexperienced.
circle time is the best time
Canvasser (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 12, 2014
Pros: the best people
Cons: too much week left at the end of the money ;)
This is a great organization. Idealistic, energetic, with some really talented caring people working here. I always learn something and go home feeling good about the day's work.
This is, however, progressive political and humanitarian fundraising. If your main reason for working is financial success (or even stability) you will not be "a good fit" here.
Great organization to be a part of a social justice movement
Field Manager for Save the Children Poverty Relief (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 24, 2014
Pros: rewarding job contributing to communities
Cons: bi-monthly fund raising quota
This non-profit organization does not only focus on one social justice grassroots movement, but has different seasons allocated to many different non-profit fundraising.
Not a good Job for all
Canvasser (Former Employee), New York, NyFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: friendly staff members
Cons: not a good job
all the staff are very nicee but is not right for them to leave us stranded in a neighborhood where we dont know on the first day of training they want us to waste money to get to the neighborhood I wanted to worked to get money not to waste money. Not a good place to work on really cold weather walking for five hours straight trying to get people to donate not a great job didnt like it at all it wasnt fun cause it was only two people on my team i was left all alone after i wouldnt recommend this to anyone

1 2 3