Graybar Electric Company, Inc.

Graybar Electric Company, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Good work ethic
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63114June 9, 2016
Graybar Electric was my first attempt at employment. I started as a Clerk Typist on 1975. The environment allowed me to grow, professionally as I learned about the wholesale industry, sales, responsibility and working with others. I was able to climb the ranks to several other positions while creating a work ethic and good working relationships with my co-workers. I was part of a corporate down-sizing in 2009, when I chose retirement. I had enjoyed employment at my first job for 33+ years.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Terrible job - Very Unethical -Run away!!!!!
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bel-Ridge, MOJune 2, 2016
Do not work for this place!!! Management is terrible and can be borderline harassing when it comes to tasks.

*They don't believe in raises*. No advancement opportunities in the company.

Training is an absolute joke.

Absolutely no privacy. New phone system installed where managers can listen to your phone calls without you knowing. They don't believe in cubicle walls so everyone hears every conversation and sits out in the open.

Very unethical place to work. They violated several Hippa laws when I worked there including telling my team why I was in the hospital when it was a private matter.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Managers
Great Stable company
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
Graybar is a stable company and are well known in their Market. They have a great benefit package.

Management loses sight of the employee and forgets they are people working to support their families.

Management shows favoritism and this company is a male dominated company and treats the women differently, even though they say they don't.
Pros
Benefit Package, Stable company, Well known
Cons
Management, the longer you work there the worse they treat you.
Excellent company in terms of compensation and benefits.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2016
Good benefit package and competitive wages. Extremely clique-ish fueled by the monolithic egos of several arrogant and disappointingly unprofessional managers. Tense environment.
Pros
Benefits and some managers genuinely care about goals and career, plenty of directions for various degrees.
Cons
Arrogant, ego-stroking managers, hugely clique-ish, public displays of favoritism and exclusion.
A good place to work with many benifits.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMarch 14, 2016
First thing I do in the morning is check the batteries for the fork lifts, I do the maintenance on the batteries also. I start unloading trucks, then we start braking down product to receive and to put inventory away. I have to get the priorities done first and then move to normal stock. I get along well with management and co-workers. I think the hardest part of my job is the braking down of product, some of those reels of wire weigh over 100 pounds. In order to be hired at Graybar you have to be able to lift 70 lbs. I do feel good about the accomplishment of getting every thing done on time.
Pros
We are employee owned and get several free lunches over the years
Cons
It's a very physical job.
Lied too - laid off at the end of the year due to "business climate"
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2016
First, this company will lie to you, so get everything in writing. (bonus structure, pay amount negotiated vacation, etc). Second, anyone with anything good to say about Graybar is either drinking the kool-aid and has been for quite some time, or they have been at Graybar for 20+ years, and have earned a mediocre living at best. I am sorry, I never bash previous employers, but my experience with Graybar leave's me with zero faith in the electrical distribution job market. If you know someone higher up at Graybar, by all means go work there. If you work hard, put in you're time, and enjoy working as a team and bring solid energy and work ethic to your job, this isn't the place for you.
Pros
Ping pong table at lunch
Cons
low pay, terrible management, corporate values do not make it to the branch
Great workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAFebruary 12, 2016
• Verify and package electrical products using ViaWare WMS, ViaWare SPS (Flagship and Kship), Compliance Plus and SAP software.
• Shipping freight domestic/international via UPS (ground and express), Federal Express (ground and express), DHL, and various other LTL (Less-Than-Truckload) carriers.
• Training, coaching and mentoring my fellow co-workers to ensure smooth adoption of Graybar’s standard procedures and added valued services.
Very knowledgable staff.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2016
Typical day at work is sitting at your desk and shuffling papers. Older organization to help the "New" guy. Co-workers were always eager to help. Hardest part of the job was trying to find old documentation.
Most enjoyable part of the job was heading home at 5 pm.
Pros
Helpful staff.
Cons
Older employees.
Good company with good benefits
Administrative Assistant to the District VP (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 4, 2016
Busy work day
Acquired many job skills through man opportunities
Management is very structured
Opportunity to work with people of all ages & education levels
Working within ever changing management
Meeting my best friends here!
Pros
Promote from within structure
Cons
Pay Scale can be low
Management is the problem
Manager, Counter Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2016
They do not have HR representation on local level.

Managers constantly bully and disrespect employees.

Poor job culture.

Co-workers are good people and great to work with.

Few resources given to you.

The people are great, it is the management that is the problem.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons

Want to know more about Graybar Electric Company, Inc.?

Ask a question
Worst company to work for
Material s Handler/Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJanuary 15, 2016
Seems like the harder you work at Graybar electric the less you will go somewhere within the company. They like to promote people that don't do anything so don't bother busting your butt for them. If you are a butt kisser this is a perfect job for you. The management is mediocre to say the least they don't know what they're doing half the time or how to deal with their employees. I wouldn't suggest this company to anybody.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay sucks, there is no moral there.
Stable Company
Senior Quotation Specialist, (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2016
Company had great benefits, pay is ok but not where it should be nationwide. The promote within strategy is dyeing as very few new positions come up. Training is great and Management Team is great, but there hands are tied by the Corporate Office.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Sweat Shop, Boiler Room
Inside Sales, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 3, 2016
I would never recommend this company to anyone. Pay and benefits are poor. Raises were very rarely given. The employees were treated like animals. Management very rarely supported employees and blamed them for everything. Terrible place to work.
Great work experience
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLApril 5, 2016
Graybar Electric is a great company to work for. The employees get along well with each other and management knows who is working their hardest. Employees who are doing their job effectively and efficiently are recognized, and sometimes rewarded.
A good private company but could be so much better
Quotations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Medley, FLMay 3, 2016
Your typical distribution company. Good benefits and not extremely stressful. Management from all angles, and from top to bottom could definitely be better.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
low pay, management
Productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 18, 2016
This is a fast paced job that is very time mannered and detailed. Seniority has its advantages here. They offer training on the job for specific areas and you are able to advance within the company.
Fairly relaxed pace, freindly employees, low pay, slim benifits, little chance for advancement, still runs on the G.O.B. system
Logistics, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 3, 2015
I hired in at low pay to maintain a huge contract. I did so successfully, winning contract renewal after a year of working for very low wages. When the contract renewed I expected a pay raise. Nope. I made millions of dollars for the company only to be paid barely better than minimum wage. I left to go to a big box retailer who paid nearly twice as much for starting wages with fewer hours and no Suit.
Pros
Freindly, lots of social activities
Cons
Poor pay/benifits, little chance for advancement
productive and strong learning opportunity
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 1, 2016
Was a nice transition to continue sales a reputable electrical distribution company. I enjoyed seeing a large company like that operate on such a big scale.
Fortune 500 Company
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 17, 2015
Extremely driven atmosphere to increase sales.
Working for this company for 16 years was great experience and gave me great pride.
Unfortunately sales for the current year were dramatically low, which caused a district lay off.
Pros
Advanced learning available.
Cons
Too many reports / numbers / achievement goals for the busy environment.
Great company with lots of training
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 19, 2015
This was a great workplace, with great people to work with. However, management does need some cleanup. The company overall is very strong, and carries a good reputation. It wasn't all about numbers, but rather that you were showing continual growth and productivity. They offered great training and resources. A downturn in the companies business lead to a company wide lay-off.
Pros
Great training and benefits
Cons
Improved management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Graybar Electric Company, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.