Graybar Electric Company, Inc.

Graybar Electric Company, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Lied too - laid off at the end of the year due to "business climate"
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2016
First, this company will lie to you, so get everything in writing. (bonus structure, pay amount negotiated vacation, etc). Second, anyone with anything good to say about Graybar is either drinking the kool-aid and has been for quite some time, or they have been at Graybar for 20+ years, and have earned a mediocre living at best. I am sorry, I never bash previous employers, but my experience with Graybar leave's me with zero faith in the electrical distribution job market. If you know someone higher up at Graybar, by all means go work there. If you work hard, put in you're time, and enjoy working as a team and bring solid energy and work ethic to your job, this isn't the place for you.
Pros
Ping pong table at lunch
Cons
low pay, terrible management, corporate values do not make it to the branch
Management is the problem
Manager, Counter Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2016
They do not have HR representation on local level.

Managers constantly bully and disrespect employees.

Poor job culture.

Co-workers are good people and great to work with.

Few resources given to you.

The people are great, it is the management that is the problem.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Worst company to work for
Material s Handler/Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJanuary 15, 2016
Seems like the harder you work at Graybar electric the less you will go somewhere within the company. They like to promote people that don't do anything so don't bother busting your butt for them. If you are a butt kisser this is a perfect job for you. The management is mediocre to say the least they don't know what they're doing half the time or how to deal with their employees. I wouldn't suggest this company to anybody.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay sucks, there is no moral there.
A good place to work with many benifits.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMarch 14, 2016
First thing I do in the morning is check the batteries for the fork lifts, I do the maintenance on the batteries also. I start unloading trucks, then we start braking down product to receive and to put inventory away. I have to get the priorities done first and then move to normal stock. I get along well with management and co-workers. I think the hardest part of my job is the braking down of product, some of those reels of wire weigh over 100 pounds. In order to be hired at Graybar you have to be able to lift 70 lbs. I do feel good about the accomplishment of getting every thing done on time.
Pros
We are employee owned and get several free lunches over the years
Cons
It's a very physical job.
Fairly relaxed pace, freindly employees, low pay, slim benifits, little chance for advancement, still runs on the G.O.B. system
Logistics, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 3, 2015
I hired in at low pay to maintain a huge contract. I did so successfully, winning contract renewal after a year of working for very low wages. When the contract renewed I expected a pay raise. Nope. I made millions of dollars for the company only to be paid barely better than minimum wage. I left to go to a big box retailer who paid nearly twice as much for starting wages with fewer hours and no Suit.
Pros
Freindly, lots of social activities
Cons
Poor pay/benifits, little chance for advancement
Great Job!
Cstomer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Harrahan, LAMarch 4, 2016
great place to work at!! No bonus increase or raise. Besides that good company to work for. Holidays paid for and sick days. Hard work
Pros
employee owned
Cons
low pay
Terrible job - Very Unethical -Run away!!!!!
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bel-Ridge, MOJune 2, 2016
Do not work for this place!!! Management is terrible and can be borderline harassing when it comes to tasks.

*They don't believe in raises*. No advancement opportunities in the company.

Training is an absolute joke.

Absolutely no privacy. New phone system installed where managers can listen to your phone calls without you knowing. They don't believe in cubicle walls so everyone hears every conversation and sits out in the open.

Very unethical place to work. They violated several Hippa laws when I worked there including telling my team why I was in the hospital when it was a private matter.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Managers
Great company with lots of training
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 19, 2015
This was a great workplace, with great people to work with. However, management does need some cleanup. The company overall is very strong, and carries a good reputation. It wasn't all about numbers, but rather that you were showing continual growth and productivity. They offered great training and resources. A downturn in the companies business lead to a company wide lay-off.
Pros
Great training and benefits
Cons
Improved management
Good company with good benefits
Administrative Assistant to the District VP (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 4, 2016
Busy work day
Acquired many job skills through man opportunities
Management is very structured
Opportunity to work with people of all ages & education levels
Working within ever changing management
Meeting my best friends here!
Pros
Promote from within structure
Cons
Pay Scale can be low
Great work experience
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLApril 5, 2016
Graybar Electric is a great company to work for. The employees get along well with each other and management knows who is working their hardest. Employees who are doing their job effectively and efficiently are recognized, and sometimes rewarded.
Good work ethic
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63114June 9, 2016
Graybar Electric was my first attempt at employment. I started as a Clerk Typist on 1975. The environment allowed me to grow, professionally as I learned about the wholesale industry, sales, responsibility and working with others. I was able to climb the ranks to several other positions while creating a work ethic and good working relationships with my co-workers. I was part of a corporate down-sizing in 2009, when I chose retirement. I had enjoyed employment at my first job for 33+ years.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Branch administrator (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJuly 11, 2016
A day at the office answering phone, filing, paying company bills, processing workflows, answering emails in a timely manner, and processing freight. I enjoyed working with management. Hardest part of the day is trying to get to everyone's problems in a timely manner. Everyone seems o need you at once. I enjoy being able to pick and choose what I wanted to do that day. I had a schedule for what I wanted done by the end of the day or week.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No breaks other than a lunch
Industry Step in Stone
Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2016
I regret taking the job at Graybar but like most I went for the money after being out of work for many months, probably the 4th best Electrical Distributor in Houston. Corporate does not invest money into the working environment of the building, it looks like a old 1970's office setting i.e. old carpet, 70's desk and chairs, no cubicles, open floor concept. On the Commercial side the Branch Manager is lacking in management and Social skills. You are not given the tools to be successful, nor are you given the time to establish new accounts, there is major pressure to produce immediately. Even though most Sales Reps on the Commercial side sign a 2 year guarantee you are NOT given that time, most get 6 months and then you are let go if you are not meeting monthly sales goals. There are some young talented people that work there but soon leave after they realize there is better options in the industry. Graybar is a good step in stone to entering the Electrical Industry but I recommend looking for a more solid opportunity else where!
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Management Support, Working Conditions, No time to establish new accounts, poor local upper management
A great employer
Continuous Improvement Leader (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 7, 2016
honest company, great teams and diverse career paths. Many locations and a stable company overall. A fortune 500 company
Excellent company in more developed business verticals
Utility Sales inTri State Area (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2015
Graybar is an excellent company with a solid management team in most areas. The utility vertical did not have competitive cost that would allow for competition and development. Business development planning and execution was very poor in utility vertical
Pros
Great company culture and benefits
Cons
Very poorly organized business development planning utility
Great Stable company
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
Graybar is a stable company and are well known in their Market. They have a great benefit package.

Management loses sight of the employee and forgets they are people working to support their families.

Management shows favoritism and this company is a male dominated company and treats the women differently, even though they say they don't.
Pros
Benefit Package, Stable company, Well known
Cons
Management, the longer you work there the worse they treat you.
Fun atmosphere with great benefits
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glendale Heights, ILMarch 21, 2016
Graybar Electric has benefits that can't be matched. As is the case with any company, some improvements can be made to make the work-day more enjoyable.
disturbing atmosphere
delivery driver (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 29, 2016
The company does not allow warehouse personal to participate in the profit sharing,or stock options, even though, they do all the heavy lifting and work in the heat, or other inclement weather conditions. Alot of drug activity goes on with employees, in the office and warehouse, with easy ways to pass drug test these days, the company has no clue.
Pros
pay
Cons
no profit sharing. gready.
Excellent company in terms of compensation and benefits.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2016
Good benefit package and competitive wages. Extremely clique-ish fueled by the monolithic egos of several arrogant and disappointingly unprofessional managers. Tense environment.
Pros
Benefits and some managers genuinely care about goals and career, plenty of directions for various degrees.
Cons
Arrogant, ego-stroking managers, hugely clique-ish, public displays of favoritism and exclusion.
Gained great experience but wouldn't reccomment it
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDAugust 3, 2016
Pros:
-Learn a lot about whole sale distribution
-Learn Excel, SAP, microsoft, etc..
-Great Benefits
-employee owned company
-Some people are very nice

Cons:
- Pay is low
- Very competitive work environment
- not a pleasant place to work (gossip, criticism, etc..)
- micro-managed
Pros
great benefits
Cons
very competitive work environment

2.8