GRBS, Inc. Employee Reviews

Unprofessional Period
overworked underpaid bee (Former Employee) –  Ludington, MIJanuary 23, 2016
From the main office to the worker bees. Going above and beyond gets you nowhere with this company. Knowing a district is way understaffed, employees are given more work than time to complete jobs. Was told company likes to promote from within, don't get your hopes up. 3x's i was overlooked for this position. 3x's they hired for assistant supervisor off the streets. Not one of them lasted longer than 3 months. I was there for over a year. If you are in a desperate situation, than by all means apply, but i would go back to fast food first. It is that bad. I have never worked where the turnover rate was as high as it is for grbs. Especially in ludington, mi. The regional manager can't even keep his own assistants. He never has the backs of the custodians in his lead.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
GRBS
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 2, 2016
Responsible for cleaning 25 classrooms a day and hallways. Depending on whether school was in session. Dusting, sweep, mop,vacuum blackboards, and trash. Desks and Chairs. Also make sure all windows are shut and doors are locked. Then call the manager to let him know if any problems or need any supplies. During the summer remove everything from rooms and if rugs then vacuum ad if the room had no rug. the floor got striped and waxed. was all furniture and place back in rooms.
It was a paycheck
Assistant District Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 20, 2015
Very chaotic and unorganized. Was told I was hired for one job then given a different one that I really didn't want because the job I applied for "was eliminated' (over the course of the weekend?!?!). Ended up driving all over 3 counties and back to clean banks. Never did get all of my mileage reimbursed. FINALLY ended up with a job somewhat relevant to what I applied for and that was fine except for the day custodian who was an jerk and made everyone's life miserable. Loved the client, though. GRBS makes a good show of caring about employees with their annual dinner, but on a daily basis they couldn't care if you were on fire.
Pros
Great client/school staff. Some of the co-workers were great.
Cons
Low pay. Un reimbursed expenses. Management had head firmly up their own hind end.
Productive, fast-paced work environment
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 13, 2015
There is always something to do. This is a very fast paced, goal oriented workplace. You have a list of job duties, and it honestly doesn't matter what approach you take, as long as you get the job done properly.
Cons
have to work 1 full year before you qualify for benefits
fun work place
Janitor and Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 13, 2015
fun easy going company that wiould go out of their way to help you out if in need with outside of work life.fun staff learning new things from them
Slave Driver
Supervisor/ Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MINovember 4, 2015
We I first started with this company I was excited and wanted to go over and above. However after a few months as the Manager I learned quickly the were very under staffed which made it difficult for me to receive the proper training.
The do reward the crew a lot with visa cards, gas cards, and pizza parties. however they are over worked and under paid
Horrible place to work for. Do not work for grbs.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MINovember 1, 2015
Grbs lied to me about transfering back to my destrict when a opening came up. They wouldnt let me go back to my original district. Then they fired me for calling off one day because i didnt have a ride. Grbs is one of the worst companies to work for. They should go out of buisness because they dont treat there employees right.
Pros
Cons
No benifits, no communication, managers are bullys and liers
Absolutely horrible
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIOctober 30, 2015
If you desperately need a job I would recommend you work here but other than that DON'T. The communication between management and staff is nonexistent. I was cleaning Lincoln consolidated schools and I barely ever had the proper cleaning supplies, the vacuums ALWAYS overheated or just stopped working. The schools were raggedy if a urinal or a drinking fountain stopped working they would just put a tacky black garbage bag over it. You could call the supervisors but they'll probably never answer. If your working part time you won't get any benefits. your suppose to have a key card to get into the schools but they never gave me one I always had to call the lead of whatever building I was working at and wait outside for them to come open the door. there's a lot of gossiping at this job but what job doesn't have gossip? All in all it's just a horrible place to work don't believe me? Apply to work here and you'll see.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Everything else
Flexible work hours but poor communication
Bank Cleaner (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 27, 2015
If you work as a bank cleaner, the job is very flexible. You work by yourself and you can determine what time you go in on the days that you are assigned to work. The drawback to being on your own is that you have to call everything in to an automated phone service and leave a message if you need more supplies, and it can take weeks to get your request fulfilled. The only time I have met any other co-worker in person is on my first day. I don't even know what my supervisor looks like. The training is minimal. There were a lot of unanswered questions and I had to learn on my own by trial and error after the fact. Overall, the job is a good part-time position if you are looking for supplemental employment and don't need benefits.
Pros
Flexible, laid back
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, poor communication
Enjoyable
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Delton, MIOctober 16, 2015
Clean and a lot of it. I liked it because of the quite ability to work with someone or by yourself to have company or not it was very flexible as far as that goes.
Pros
quite working enviroment
Cons
not much
very unorganized, did not work as a team to accomplish goals at task, but very nice people
Field Trainer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Howell, MIOctober 2, 2015
I met a lot of very nice people during my time with GRBS although there were a lot of problems within the company that made it very difficult to work for at times.
Fun working with kids
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 1, 2015
Loved working with the kids there was never a dull moment.Lots to do always busy. You get a lot of laughs with the little people. They brighten your day.
Pros
get to meet a lot of people
Cons
short breaks
I cleaned public schools
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 10, 2015
Sometimes there was too much to clean and not enough time. It just depended on if the janitor before me who had that area cleaned what they were supposed to clean, the right way.
Bad company
Janitor (Former Employee) –  OwossoAugust 30, 2015
The management is some of the worst around . They don't care about u or what u say . The pay was not enough . They don't pay u for overtime.
custodian (Current Employee) –  wayland miAugust 19, 2015
A typical day at work would be to come in get my work done and ask if anyone else needed help or if i had to stay longer then i would leave if they didnt need me. I learned to clean efficiently.
Pros
good times
Cons
dont have a job in summer
Not enough time to get the job done.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MiAugust 10, 2015
Co-workers were fine to work with, it's the Manager doesn't have people skills, when you try to talk, she talks over you. She is a bully! They don't have the best in your interest or do they have the best ways to communicate. Only way to get ahold of someone in HR is to call them a million times, I can't believe this business is still going. Don't work here, it's the worst place I've ever worked at.
Pros
Cons
No benefits, very poor communication, manager is a bully, long hours, hard work low pay. Very bad place to work at!
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 5, 2015
Typical day at work, remove trash from all rooms, go room to room cleaning the sinks and desks.
Nothing learned.
Management was good.
I never really saw others. You were there to just do your job.
Hardest part of the job was working at night all alone.
The most enjoyable part was the directions on what I was suppose to do every night was very clear.
Excellant place to get experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 29, 2015
I loved my Supervisor job with GRBS. It was the greatest job for me and my life situation. I learned a lot from my Supervisor and from the people I managed.
Pros
the people that I managed
Cons
being supervisor you must come in even on your day off and holidays
Still here
District Supervisor in Gaylord (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MIJuly 28, 2015
I'm going on my 4th year with the company. Started out as a day custodian and am now a district supervisor. Yes, things get rough. Some people take the job, not realizing that it's more than pushing a broom or flicking a feather duster. It's hard work. Every day. Constantly moving. Constantly cleaning. For the most part the school staff that I've come in contact with have been great. Management is up and down. Mostly up. They do their best to find you help when needed. Sometimes the help just isn't there, which is frustrating, but you just have to carry on. Stay over bonuses come in handy. WOW bonuses are great. We try to do something fun every month. Lunches, games or just a get-together to relax. Company sponsored, which is great! GRBS is big on customer satisfaction and safety. I've wanted to quit a few times but I'm glad I didn't. There's a reason they've been in business for 100 years! SEGWAY! (Smile. Eye contact. Greet. Work hard. Appearance. YES.)
Pros
Customer relations. Support. Bonuses for hard work. Insurance. Never bored, always something to do. Support. Help when available.
Cons
Customer relations. No OT. Forced to take a lunch break. (I don't like to stop) Staffing.
not the best to work for
Custodian (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, MIJuly 23, 2015
the coworkers were great to work with but management was not very friendly to employees i hurt my shoulder 4 days after starting work and it took until june to get shoulder surgery done on it and until the they wanted me to work with a 10 lb weight restriction

2.8