Great American Insurance Group

Great American Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Finance Intern, Treasury Department (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 28, 2016
It was a great experience and I enjoy the job culture. They appreciate their employees. They encourage having healthy life style and co-workers was friendly.
Great opportunity to work from home
Surplus Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 13, 2015
I was given the opportunity to work in Surplus Lines and to work from home once I retired from my position as a Commercial Lines Underwriter on the admitted side. Management was very supportive and a position that was to last three months turned into 4.5 years.
Pros
working from home
Great Envrionment
Business Process Engineer (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 5, 2015
Great place to work. The people are nice and easy to talk to. There is a lot to learn from others more experienced and they are always willing to share their knowledge.
Pros
Lots of office parties, incentives, activities
Cons
work can get dull (not too innovative)
Productive above average communication skills and product knowledge.
Commercial Property & Inland Marine Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTMarch 25, 2015
High Energy Rating, quoting, issuing new and endorsements, reviewing inspections, contacting agents by phone and email modifying, approving, rejecting. Good at sharing and motivating agents and employees and self to perform at a high level.
Pros
Someplace to go everyday and perform
Cons
Micro managed at the top in past
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 20, 2014
Data entry, tracking customers for various clients to aid in enrollment or opting out of insurance coverage for leases. Handing inbound calls regarding auto enrollment when customers had not yet submitted proof of outside insurance, and from insurance agents wanting assistance writing up such proof. Made outbound calls to agents when received documents were insufficient.
Pros
Great team mates, wonderful on-site amenities
Cons
Temporary position
Nice Company to work for
Processor II / Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTMarch 20, 2014
I really liked working for this company for the 6 yrs I was there. They did a lot of outside functions with their employees and it made it feel like family. I was taught a lot about Property and Inland Marine. My manager was the most polite and friendly manager I ever had. I still miss her to this day.
Pros
Going into work always having work to do and having GREAT co workers
Cons
I honestly can't think of any other then my departments jobs were cut and I had to leave.
Go Along to Get Along
Underwriter I (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 7, 2014
There is a lot of classroom instruction and shadowing of senior underwriters. There are many great individuals who work at GAI and it's a fun place to work.

However if you don't have a good boss, or do not get along with the people that make decisions then you can find yourself on the out.

Make sure you kiss behind to get ahead and play politics or you"ll be shown the door.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Too many ambitious individuals competing for too few jobs
Gaic 2006-2013
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 24, 2013
I usually entered early, due to flex hours, and was generally unsupervised throughout the day. Starting would be completing any emails, until a decent hour to start my calls for information which would be better conveyed by voice. Account renewals and new business 5 days a week.

The hardest part at this job was the client visiting, as my territory happened to be in the deep south, and I was placed up north. Face to face communication is the best way to get to know your clients. The self management was my favorite part of the job.
This is a very comfortable environment with friendly co-workers, comfortable surroundings and extremely nice workout facilites
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 13, 2014
My typical day starts with going to the Atrium with a coworker and buying a cup of coffee. Then I proceed to my cubicle and start my day. First I go through my emails, listen to any voice messages, check on due dates and begin prioritizing my day. Most of my day is spent reconciling items in Excel for accuracy and preparing monthly and quarterly reports. The office is like family. Management is very friendly. Since we are a large corporation when attending meetings there are often times more in attendance than needed.
Pros
Workout facilites, family atmosphere, nice facilites and educational opportunities
Cons
Expensive healthcare, difficult to advance, and parking costs
Wonderful company with great values and work/life balance.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 25, 2013
I have worked at Great American for 10 years and have always thought I would retire from the company, however, life changes are the reason for my search for other employment opportunities. At one point in my career with Great American we sold one of our divisions and I temporarily lost my job, but returned because I liked working here so much.
Great place to work.
Real Estate Intern (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 5, 2015
Extremely flexible with every aspect. I was able to finish my education without work interfering. the compensation was equally as good. For the job performed i was compensated well. I have learned and will take with me skills to my next job that will continue to grow throughout my career.
Great place to intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 17, 2013
You will receive lots of real work, so be prepared to manage your time. Lots of independence, even at intern level. Internship is what you make of the experience. If you take the time to build a relationship with management, they will ensure that you learn a lot and become a strong professional.
Productive place to work
Service Associate I (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 4, 2014
Overall, great place to work!! Team environment, a lot of family members able to work together, which I'd never experienced before. Competitive and political atmosphere where networking is key. Never really stressful.
Pros
Excellent culture, very diverse
Cons
No job security
fun workplace
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 22, 2013
Providing customers with top level service and experience Resolving all customer issues on the first contact, including future customer needs and issues Communicating with customers regardless of skill level Developing...
Pros
half price lunch
Cons
no breaks
fun work place
Life &Annuity-Senior Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 23, 2015
Its a great place to work at and a get company to work for.Tons of room for advancement if you have some kind of college degree.
Good place to get started
Insurance Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJuly 25, 2014
Productive workplace with a lot of room for advancement, as they hire from within 99% of the time. There is also a great job/life balance, especially with the flex hours.
Pros
free gym membership, flex hours, good people
Cons
Poor management in the EPL Department
Typical Day
Senior Commercial Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 16, 2013
I work as a Senior Claims Adjuster and spend the majority of my day investigating coverage issues and reviewing claims on properties. I have learned to research policies and have grown in my ability to interpret policy language.
Corporate America
UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 14, 2014
Great benefits and on job training. Work load is moderate with heavy interactions with upper management. Production is monitored heavily. Minimal room for advancement within division.
Benefits
Cons
Compensation, Management
Work/LIfe Balance
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTOctober 17, 2012
During my short tenure at this company, there was a strong emphasis on balancing work and life responsibilities.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
high turnover in management
Advancement
Intern (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 28, 2013
Promised many opportunities for advancement yet never seemed to have the individuals who made the promises follow through.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Never felt accomplished.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great American Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Great American Insurance Group Reviews by Location