Great American Insurance Employee Reviews

Mysogenistic management
Underwriting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 1, 2018
Some Divisions are rogue and do not share company expectations. Promotions based primarily on who you know and not what you are capable of. Executive management is majority men.
Productive and fun
Permanent Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 29, 2017
Really nice staff. Everyone worked together in order to get out the daily insurance mail that had to be assembled. I started out as a Temp keying data information that had backed up. Eventually the documents were scanned so that one employee could do this after I went home for the day. The yearly Christmas party was great. There was other employee functions during the year. Not helpful sitting on stool for my back, though.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Not tolerant of illness
Productive and Fast Paced
Claims adjuster, claims processor, scanning clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 26, 2017
My typical day start by talking on the phone with the customer who are filing claims. Once I got all the information that is needed, I start processing the claims.
Pros
Free Coffee and 30 minutes break
Cons
Health Care
Good
Sr. Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 12, 2017
Good
Management Strong, Workplace environment comfortable.
Very strong on teamwork as well as Department Cross Funtionality.
Have the opportunity to occasionaly Telecommute
I had good experiences and bad.
Senior New Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 27, 2017
When I began working for Great American insurance 2.5 years ago I felt privileged. I soon came to realize the positives about the company were not found in the company as a whole. I've seen a lot of creative, hardworking, unappreciated individuals leave the company. It's a shame and I will soon be one of them. I hope to possibly return to Great American in a different division of the company one day.
Great Company
Developer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 18, 2017
Great company to work for - best I've ever worked for, actually. I wouldn't say the same for IT - there's been a lot of flux since the departure of the last CIO who was there for 10 years.
Pros
Excellent compensation, not crazy hours
Cons
Never sure of what's expected.
i loves everything about this company
Crop Insurance Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 25, 2017
I loved working at great american. Everyone was so nice. I loved to travel and meet new people. This was a part time job but if you wanted to work you would work full time hours and get paid for it.
Pros
co workers and bosses
Cons
no insurance if not full time
Education and Growth
Equipment Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
Great company culture and willing to assist in determining your true potential. Industry is unique due to it being insurance related requiring some educational certificates, degrees, etc.
Pros
Educational Enrichment
Cons
Industry
Great place to work, family friendly atmosphere, Great team environment.
Project Manager/Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 15, 2017
Is a great place to work and make friends and continue to learn and grow in your profession. A place which is concerned about the person you are as well as the job you do.
Personal Lines Field Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTJune 11, 2017
Great opportunities to grow within the company. Learned a lot of different functions and established my career in Insurance. They consolidated to Ohio
Old fashioned insurance company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 5, 2017
There has been extreme turnover since I left. My experience was a company resistant to change. Job security was tough outside the corporate offices as divisions were routinely bought and sold.
Pros
great gym with lunch time instructors
Cons
Slow to make decisions and change
Great work/life balance and friendly people
Intern in Management Reporting Division (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2017
It is a very inviting place to work, especially as an intern. I worked there for two summers as an intern, and was treated with respect and taught a lot by my co-workers and superiors. They always try to keep you busy with relevant tasks and want you to learn about the profession. I learned a lot of computer related skills and excel with Information Technology, and got a good look at the financial world and management reporting when I was in that division. It was a helpful look in the insurance industry and an overall positive experience.
Nice place to work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 6, 2017
Nice place to work - very large organization, lots of different paths. Downside is that outsourcing is common and this causes stress and insecurity of future employment.
Good Work/Life Balance
Associate Underwriter III (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 16, 2016
Great American values and encourages employees to have a good work/life balance. They work with employees to ensure they have time to devote to their family needs and obligations, as well as the ability to enjoy that time.
fun upbeat
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 15, 2016
The employees were great to work with the company its self is outstanding the management was awful needs work. They favor employees the managers are never there for your help and expect you to do everything
Great company with great management
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 6, 2016
A typical day at work was sitting at a computer reviewing paperwork sent in by clients to either want to take a partial withdrawal from their IRA or to fully surrender their policy with Great American. I could go a week at a time without saying a word to anyone. Just put on your headphones and review paperwork. This was not the environment for me since I love interacting with people on a daily basis. My co-workers were the best. Any time I had a question or a problem, we leaned on each other to get through it and worked well together. That was the most enjoyable part of the job for sure. I hated working in Downtown Cincinnati because of the significant drive every day, traffic and the parking;it was very expensive.
Pros
Co-workers/managers
Cons
Lack of person interaction/travel time each day/parking
Great American Insurance Agency
Master Business Developer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Great American Insurance Company acquired Employer's Comp Associates, Inc. to join the Texas opportunity in the Alternative Workers Comp market. ECA was the largest brokerage in the specialty market.

Excellent opportunity for our staff to work for a large, respected national insurance company with A or better rating for over 100 years!
Pros
Great benefits
Great Place to work
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 19, 2016
Great American is a phenomenal place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement. The Lindner family always make you feel as if you're part of the family.
Excellent, family oriented place to work!
Underwriter Duties (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 11, 2016
Nice place to work, very family oriented, relaxed atmosphere. Management recognized talent, great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great advancement potential, great benefits, great work environment
Had a great feeling working with GAIG
Ms BI ssis ssas ssrs developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
wonderful work environment.....Had a great feeling working with GAIG...good team work,challenging tasks,i loved working with GAIG
friendly management