Great Circle Employee Reviews

Good experience for a first job
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 21, 2016
Now that I'm a former employee, I have a more mature view of my last job. Great Circle IS working hard to make change in foster care. They've worked to engage families and connect parents with services.

I think GC lacks in mental health. By that I mean they don't work with other agencies who work in behavioral health. That would help parents combat mental illness and provide them with a more fair chance of reunification.

I wish GC would have a better work-life balance. We got laptops and cell phones and I think my supervisor would forget my home life after a long day. I don't fault my supervisor! I think it's natural to care after hours - at least, I hope it is!

There are a lot of legal obstacles to overcome in this field. If you work here, you'll have to understand it's a very long process to get a child to permenancy. It's rewarding, though. Be open minded. You don't do this for the money. You do this because you work with real people, just like you and me.
Pros
Fun staff meetings + understanding and supportive supervisors
Cons
An opportunity to learn and developed a host of skills that would never be highlighted in the job description.
Cottage Life Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2016
Serving the children is the greatest motivation that Great Circle provides. Being a part of the journey and lives of vulnerable children and families supersedes any personal concerns someone may have working at a place like this. The job is difficult and it most certainly takes a special person to tolerate the politics while also serving the needs of the children.
Pros
Working with the children, learning and growing with them as they overcame sever mental health and behavior issues.
Cons
Politics and observing how it truly effects the overall well-being of the children, their families, and the employees attempting to serve them.
Great benefits
Worker (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 5, 2016
Poor support from leadership not trustworthy very deceitful smile in your face cut you in your back no honor no room for advancement. Friendly co workers
Pros
Great benefits flexible
Cons
Not to be trusted.
Horrible place to work
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 2, 2016
Kids could literally beat the staff and nothing happened to them even the ones over 18. The management is a complete joke. Prisons are literally more secure that this job, almost every staff member had bite scars from kids...it's terribly managed, it's surprising that a place like this is even allowed to exist.
Pros
Cons
Almost everything
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 19, 2016
This company has a great idea in mind but is not a school. It is a company that cares more about how they look than helping the students emotionally and academically. The administration is extremely unprofessional and do not follow through with what they say the will do.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No to five minute breaks, rude administration, not thoughtful of teachers time, do not fully staff classrooms
Productive, and influencing work place
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 18, 2016
This job really builds experience when handling children who were influenced by harsh environments.The best part about this job is to feel as if you really made a difference to a child by setting a positive role in their life. The hardest part about this job is to watch these children struggle with day to day challenges.
Ability to help others in the community
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint James, MOSeptember 11, 2016
There is not typical day, but you do have a typical montly routine of making home visit, phone calls, emails, etc.
poor management
amazing coworkers
the hardest part of the job is working long hours and not having a set time each day that you will get out, lots of rushing around
helping others, helping and watching families reunite
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
sometimes work late and long hours, lots of driving
A job that makes you feel great about what you do!
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 27, 2016
This company provides so much help and care to families that need it and makes such a wonderful impact on our community. It makes me feel proud to be working for a company that does so much good. I've never had a day where I dreaded going to work and I've never had 1 coworker including management that I couldn't get along with. The people are just simply amazing in every way!
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Tough hours
Amazing culture among employees who care for their residents
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 19, 2016
The work day starts at 6 Am with waking residents up and feeding them breakfast. Residents are then taken to school on our campus. There is a break between 8 Am and 2 PM. At 2 PM the residents are picked up from school and then they have group therapy or rec therapy. A lot of time is spent processing with residents and making sure they are safe. SCM is the type of restraint system that is used and it is used frequently. Management is extremely concerned with how employees are progressing and how they are doing physically/emotionally. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance considering we are one week on and one week off.
Pros
Actual work with clients in need, case management training, trauma informed care training, etc
Cons
Pay and work/life balance
Providing for the emotional needs of children with autism
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 18, 2016
It is a very rewarding job working with children. There are ups and downs but I grew to enjoy working there. Anyone who wants to work here has to be able to deal with chaotic environment
The worst company I've ever worked for
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MOJuly 13, 2016
Do not work for this company. The turnover rate for this company is very high. The longer you work there the worse management treats you. There are no seniority privileges. Plus I saw them making schedule accommodations for staff not even past their 90 days.
Management and supervisors are corrupt. They expect you to be on call 24-7 with absolutely no incentives to do so. No communication between management and departments. Therefore the employees and clients suffer because of it.
Pros
Insurance and Benefits
Cons
There is no typical day.
Empowering Youth Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 6, 2016
There is one thing that is consistent with this job, it's change. Great management and supervision. In a typical week, I spend time doing street outreach to find homeless kids to provide services to. I also spend time doing direct care with the children. Paperwork is also consistent throughout the week.
Pros
Flexible schedule, gain PLPC hours, free PLPC supervision, free food, large training budget, and community involvement is encouraged.
Cons
Some specific coworkers can be tough to work with, hard to manage boundaries with staff and kids in my specific position, and I wish I got paid more with my education and experience.
Horrible
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 7, 2016
Working for the school is horrible. Your co-workers help out each other more than the admin does. Admin are always quick to give suggestions that do not work because they are not in the class with the kids.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Horrible admin
Great if you work with the kids
anonymous (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 16, 2016
Staff compensated fairly if in direct care roles or professions such as Therapist. Compensation ridiculously low for non program staff/office support professionals with no room for advancement.
Pros
free meals for direct care staff
Cons
bad work life balance
Terrible Management. Covers up abuses and neglects. No appeal policy.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOMay 7, 2016
Poorly managed especially the schools. Very cliquish. HR director is pathetic and gossips. CEO a non factor and only supports his Admin. Great coworkers tho. Autistic side has great kids, but director is lazy and useless. NO support from management. Very dismal environment.
Pros
most staff, kids, hours, pay
Cons
Anything to do with dishonest Admin.
Great coworkers.
Volunteer Services (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 21, 2016
Everybody you work with is very nice. They were welcoming when you became and were pleased to assist you if you had any questions when starting.
Place that does not care about their employees
Cottage Life Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 29, 2016
They teach the employers to do things a certain way and fire them for actually doing what they have been taught. (Physical restraints for example)

Management discourage ideas from the employees that are with the children more than they are but they say otherwise. They are very dishonest and get rid of great employees that are the most beneficial to the children.

The co-workers are on the same page majority of the time and make it enjoyable to work there as well.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the children and being able to help them learn how to make the correct choices.

The least enjoyable part is the company itself and the management they have in place.
Pros
Changing lives of children
Cons
Management, VP, HR, and their system in general
Rewarding, but Admin makes it hard for you to want to stay.
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 22, 2016
Great Circle has the foundation and potential to be a great company. If you have passion for working with at risk youth, then GC is rewarding if you have patience. The only problem is that Admin do not provide the proper support or tools for their staff to be successful. The culture is clear that direct care staff are expendable.
Rough Job, Rewarding
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MOFebruary 18, 2016
Cons:Violent Residents, frequent physical holds, few staff, no support.
Pros: help make a difference in a child's life
Youth Care Specialist
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 25, 2016
This is a very challenging but yet rewarding job. As a youth care specialist you have to be both physically and emotionally prepared to deal with children from all types of emotionally and physically abusive backgrounds. Although this can be an extremely rewarding occupation the pay is not as rewarding as helping the children make it through the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Circle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8