Great Circle Employee Reviews

Gain lots of experience, but stressful work
PHP/IOP Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 21, 2017
Good place to gain experience in the human services field. A lot of room to expand and grow with the agency. High demand job that can be very stressful.
Pros
Large company with advancement opportunities
Cons
Stressful and demanding enviroment
Stressful but rewarding environment
Teacher’s Assistant (Current Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOSeptember 20, 2017
The only real criticism about great circle is the clientele they serve. In my time in the mental health field I have never worked with more aggressive or challenging children. The management is very solid, the culture is a supportive and inclusive one, the real test of whether not you'll survive at great circle is the kids. Unfortunately someone who isnt formally educated like myself has a hard time in this environment as I will never advance. But I really loved this job and position.
Hope you can take a punch
Overnight Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint James, MOSeptember 19, 2017
During my employment here, I worked overnight whom my manager was the best supervisor I have ever worked for. The residents here weren't to bad unless they were having a bad day which usually ended up with you getting punched, jumped or even stabbed.
Pros
my supervisor and pay
Cons
everything else
Very Stressful and Drama filled environment to work in.
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 11, 2017
Lack of communication, lack of management, and doing things last minute. Very disorganized and chaotic workplace. The mission is good, and some of the people do good work, but management of most of the campus is hap hazard at best.
Pros
You are trying to help children that have not had a good life.
Cons
Disorganization by management.
Very stressful job very loor management
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 4, 2017
Loved what I did but it was very stressful ,poor management, great communication among coworkers, great benefits pay was somewhat fair..hours great,. Lack of control with the kids from management hardly I evolved with the youth..overall I would go back because I miss work I g with the children ,the management at the time was just unprofessional
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Cons
Poor management
It was a fun place to work loved my co-workers and the families we helped.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MOAugust 28, 2017
Provide support for all types of organizations and businesses and their staff members. Duties include general clerical tasks, such as drafting documents and answering telephones, as well as administrative jobs, including scheduling and project management.
Pros
Helping families who were in need and working with good people
Cons
It was not full time and no helth
Enjoy being around kids makes my job rewarding
Medical Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MOAugust 24, 2017
I schedule appointments and transport kids back and forth, administer medications, check in medications, interact with all the kids. I enjoy every day because no two days are the same. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to make a difference in a child's life.
High stress working environment
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 17, 2017
This job entails working with clients with high needs behavioral issues. You are oftentimes called in on your days off due to staffing issues. With the job being as stressful as it is, being called in on off days makes working here extremely exhausting.
Pros
Friendly supervisors
Cons
High stress
Great opportunity for advancement.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint James, MO 65559August 9, 2017
Loved this agency, always felt supported by my supervisors and I was given the opportunity to grow and promote quickly. There are great training opportunities. Supervision for provisional licensed therapists are provided as a benefit.
Stressful and at the same time boring
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOJune 21, 2017
This is a good job to work if you are starting out in the field, but not for experienced therapists. The upper management attempts to micro-manage day-to-day situations. It is challenging to meet with clients due to the treatment schedule. Therapists are not given their own offices and often have to negotiate to get a "therapy room." Therapy rooms are not very well set-up (not very therapeutic).
Pros
Light case loads
Cons
Challenging ability to maintain work/life balance
Can be worth it
Youth cottage supervisor (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 11, 2017
Managent strugales to keep people employed. Needs better leadership at the lower levels. They do not value their employees. The supervisors care about themselves.
Pros
Food
Cons
Working with kids and the posibility of getting hurt
Great Clients, Not so great management
Youth Care Specialist Autism (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 7, 2017
The clients are what made the job worth the stress of management. The supervisors overwork the staff and do not provide the necessary support needed in the high stress environment. The direct care staff is the most important part of the residential facility and they are rarely given the support with crisis situations that they need help with. It was always difficult to get even the basic hygiene supplies needed to keep the clients and the cottage healthy and sanitary for living.
Pros
the love the clients show the staff
Cons
unsafe
It's ok.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 24, 2017
Work environment is mostly friendly and therapist team is strong. There seems to be an overall lack of recognition from the higher-ups toward therapists. This has been acknowledged but little has changed. Work load is more manageable that most places. Office space varies depending on program and can be very nice or, basically a closet. Therapists are welcome to practice in the way they see fit with no preferred modality. There are serious lacks in direction from management on important therapeutic issues which, at times, causes ethical pause.
Pros
free school lunch, no OT, supportive peers, generous time off, decent benefits
Cons
out-of-touch management, high turnover, average pay
Stressful
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 22, 2017
Great Circle is stressful. Not many full time employees, not much difference from being full-time to part-time in compensation. Days are long and hard, most staff are over-worked. Management is over-worked so they can be hard to talk to. The hardest part of the job is working with so many different personalities in a high stress field. However, when the kids are good and well behaved, it can be an emotionally rewarding job. When they're mad and you're in their face though, watch out because you might get punched. Also, long hours and no breaks, evening staff gets relieved at 11pm, IF the night watch staff is on time, which is a rare occurrence.
Pros
free food from dining hall (but it's hit or miss)
Cons
no breaks at all and 14 hour shifts on weekends
Great circle
YCS (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MOMay 16, 2017
Good money, it was fun, if you like kids you'll enjoy it, good people, build life long relationships with staff and residents, hours are a bit shaky but you have fun
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOMay 4, 2017
It's a good place to work if you're interested in different issues that kids face in this world today. From abuse, neglect, depression, bipolar, and etc.
Pros
Learning about different kids
Cons
No breaks, not fully staffed
The road to H.E. double hockey stick is paved with good intentions
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MOApril 29, 2017
My time here was bitter sweet. i was miserable most of the time. the only reason i stayed for as long as i did, 2 years, was the kids. the hourly compensation is ok for the area but not nearly enough for the job. i was attacked by "kids" on a regular basis. i used quotes because quite a few of them are much bigger than me and i'm 6'1", 195 pounds. i was jumped by multiple kids on more than one occasion. they stomped on my phones, glasses and ripped my clothes, and all this wasn't even the worst part. the worst part is that after you are attacked, you are blamed and investigated for harming the kids while trying to defend yourself and never compensated for your property that is destroyed. this is just the tip of the ice berg.
Pros
the feeling you get from making a difference in a kids life
Cons
everything else
Very Fast paced, therapeutic organization.
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOApril 26, 2017
Everyday we had scheduled activities for our clients to complete. Each staff member was assigned a particular group of clients to help with learning patterns. A very fun & diverse atmosphere!
Pros
Field trips, Activities
Cons
No breaks, Mandatory meetings on off days.
Great Circle Great place
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MOApril 11, 2017
I enjoyed the staff at Great Circle in St James, Missouri. They were very much in tune with how their staff felt and it was more like a family than it was an employer/employee relationship.
If you're applying for the job to "help"...good luck
YCS (Current Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOMarch 31, 2017
This facility is supposed to be a place for treatment, it is supposed to assist children and young adults grow and become functioning members of a community, this place does not help, it turns a blind eye to any most cases that could shake a normal, caring person to the core. If you have a heart, your heart will break on a consistent basis if you get this job. You can do your best, put everything you have into it and just be left there, drained of everything you have and no one will even give you a pat on the back. Raises are a HUGE joke, management couldn't care less about what is actually the matter, ESPECIALLY if it's their day off. This place does more hurt than help. This place will turn you negative, this place will drain you. Too many times you will see things get swept under the rug.

You will just have your heart broken, over and over, and over again.

Also, you will work 14 hour shifts with NO breaks. None.
Pros
Insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Circle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7