Great Clips Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 9, 2016
Flexible schedules, above minimum wage pay, many ways to give yourself a raise each day with productivity and product bonuses. Great franchisees that genuinely care about their employees. Continued education available. Opportunities to move up into management. Salons are small, with only 6 or 7 employees so it feels like a family. 3 different locations in just Kenosha, as well as one in Racine. Whether you're looking for part time or full time, Great Clips is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good starting pay, bonuses available
Cons
No health insurance
Great if you just wanna cut hair and str8 out of beauty school
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 5, 2015
Depending on the management and owner (great clips is a franchise) they all offer and produce different qualities. Base pay isn't all that great...no career advancement...you'll always hear about what your not doing right than what made a difference in the customers and overall moral of the salon. Hours are not great unless you either have a decent clientele or you just don't have a life and they'll work u when they need you. Customers are cool once they stop asking "are you new here??" It's hard to keep up productivity when it's slow ALL DAY...the franchisees don't show enough appreciation towards their stylists who basically run their company...management pay is not great...
Pros
Tips
Cons
Not enough pay, no real benefits, working for nothing
its a job
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 31, 2016
if you like ruining a hairstyling career work here. management for the most part is equivalent to a high school popular girl clique! pay is demeaning and no benefits
Great opportunity to learn and sharpen your hairstyling skills
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed being busy and learning to be quicker at cutting hair. It is nice that they provide training. The opportunity for advancement is there and the potential to increase your salary. The manager was great to work with.
The best salon in Vernal Utah.
stylist (Current Employee) –  Vernal, UtOctober 12, 2015
I love working with GREAT CLIPS. I have had the best experience. They have allowed me opportunities to grow in my career by providing advanced education. The staff is amazing now that we have been able to weed out the stylists that created a lot of drama. We do a lot of customers everyday, and the tips are really good. I make a lot of money at this salon, more than I have ever made at any other salon. The benefits are really good, and they have a lot of hours available for me to work so I can make a good living.
Great work place, excellent pay
Salon Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Very fast paced, good benefits. flexible hours, excellent leaders, room for growth, good commission, offers benefits
Pros
no appointments
Cons
non stop
costumer service
stylist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 20, 2015
put clients in the computer and then proceed cutting or coloring their hair. after finished with the client. I would total out their ticket, take the cash and count back the change. clean my station. and repeat threw out the day. this was a lot of costumer service.
Pros
clients
Cons
low income and bad benefits
Good entry level to a receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXDecember 15, 2015
Great Clips was very laid back you got some receptionist experience some customer service experience, nice people to work with and they motivated you to do better but no raises and no bonuses.
Great management
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 9, 2015
Great clips is a haircut and blow dry kind of salon. No color was ever done when I was there. The computer system was pretty cool, We were able to track the customers previous haircut with that system. It made it pretty easy for us girls to give the customer the haircut they wanted. We had the opportunity to write down every detail of the haircut so we could provide great service. Management was very encouraging and supportive of continuing education.
Pros
Grat co workers
Cons
No Benefits or sick days
A career that didn't pay well
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 24, 2016
I've been in Cosmetology for 15 years. I went to work here and they told me they would pay me $8.75/hr to start. I was only being paid $8.50/hr. the entire time I worked here. For being in this career field for this long, it seems far too little. The management was very demanding and to work all nights and weekends became too much to handle for paychecks that couldn't even pay my bills.
Good stepping stone
Stylist (Current Employee) –  richmond, vaSeptember 8, 2015
I enjoy making people feel good about themselves, meeting new fun people and developing friendships with them. Learned patience, and how to get along with all types of people. Physically and mentally demanding job. Poor management; no motivation. No room for growth.
Pros
making people feel good
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits
Productive workplace varying upon location.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 23, 2015
Location is key, if you're not in a good location...more than likely you will not make that much money. However, you can market yourself and bring the clients to you. The quota is tough at times, especially if you're in a slow location. Typically you can expect strenuous hours that involve a lot of different people to have to deal with all under the restraints of time control, retail sale percentage, and return customer rates. It is a high stress job, but has the upside of being very different all the time. If you're looking to get out of a repetitive job, this is a good choice. They're a well established company and offer decent pay most of the time with benefits, however mostly at a hefty price. There are a lot of up's and down's to this job, but it can prove to be very satisfying. You can make what you want to if you put the work in.
Pros
ability to make what you want, good atmosphere, job security, flexible work week with some days off during the week, ability to make tips
Cons
short breaks, scattered hours, major emphasis of quotas
Productive high energy work environment
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Camden, SCJune 3, 2015
I arrived fifteen minutes minimum prior to my scheduled shifts. If opening I would open the safe, count the cash drawer, set up my haircutting station. If I was scheduled for mid-shift, I would arrived fifteen minutes early and immediately set up my haircutting station, and begin cutting hair. When scheduled for the closing shift, I would arrive early, set up haircutting station and begin cutting hair. I would complete the closing procedures by following computer instructions, counting cash and gathering credit receipts. I would close and secure the safe and store. I learned scheduling procedures, teamwork skills, and time management. My co-workers assisted with all open and close procedures. We worked as a team to help our customers. The hardest part of the job was standing full shifts with arms raised cutting hair. It is work that is hard on the body. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and developing relationships with returning customers.
Productive fun work place
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 30, 2016
Great Clips is a fun wonderful place to work. You will learn how to give a good quality hair cut in a timely manner along with excellent customer service skills. The pay could be better but has good incentives if you work harder. My co workers and management are friendly and willing to help if needed. overall a good place to work.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Pay
Popular store with a friendly working environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 19, 2015
My job consisted of providing customer service to everyone that walked in. I also provided services to the stylists such as constantly cleaning their work stations and their hair cutting supplies as well as retail. What i got the most out of this job was how to handle all types of customers that entered our shop and sometimes, working with an angry customer was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
30 min lunch breaks
Cons
hour cuts, no benefits
Horrible Place to work!! DON'T RECOMMEND
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Monument, COFebruary 12, 2016
I ended up working at Great Clips right out of beauty school for only a few short months. Aside from the AWFUL management, you can't even give a good hair cut in amount of time allotted for each client (13-17 min). Working here made me question why I even started doing hair (lucky for me I got out in time to not waste my skills and passion for a company so unappreciative of their employees) The breaks were few and far between, and it was difficult to be creative as this place was run like a Chinese sweat shop! I love all my clients and only want to give them the absolute best and this place falls extremely short of meeting that requirement.

**please note this review is for the Monument, CO location. I sure hope all Great Clips aren't run this way and if they are get out now you deserve better!!!!
Pros
co workers
Cons
no breaks, management, hours, minimum wage
Great Place to work.
Licensed Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 15, 2016
Fun fast paced environment that is always promoting ongoing education. Supportive management and staff. Great work/life balance.
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Limited advancement
Great Place To Work
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHOctober 2, 2015
I loved the job, and meeting new people everyday. They always worked around my home schedule between my schooling at the time, and my life outside of work.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
No Benefits
Good starter job
Assistant Manager of the location (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJanuary 14, 2016
I did not join this company to be there long term, just long enough to get some experience. The pay scale was very confusing when converted into a new system, and my store was very slow as it was in a discreet location. A typical day at work was sitting in the back doing manager's paperwork or trying to keep the product shelves clean from dust and hair. The store itself never stayed very clean unless we knew the owners or State Board might stop in. Most of my coworkers were lazy and did not take direction from management well. The management at my store was very self- centered when our original manager had been promoted. The hardest part of my job was trying to get the rest of the team on board with keeping the store clean. The most enjoyable part of my job was providing haircuts and establishing relationships with the clients.
Pros
Great reliable clientele, Nice owners
Cons
Management, lazy team members, pay
Strict Schedule regardless of worker's family priorities
Licensed Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 24, 2016
Great place to work for a single non parent with flexibility and the capability to stand for long hours without breaks if it's busy.
Pros
Great Pay & Tips, Friendship building co/workers
Cons
Short breaks, Strict rules, High employee turnover rate