Great Clips Employee Reviews

Depends on your franchisee.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2016
I've worked for the company for 6 years. I believe everything that the company is over all doing for their clients. Different franchisee's may pay a little more than others, maybe give a 401k, etc. If I could do it all over again I would really do my research if this is a company you believe in. Make sure they will not only take customer care to the net level, but take care of YOU and provide the atmosphere you need to thrive. That is my biggest complaint. Managers who do not have the desire to see their store or employees grow. They get burnt out (for obvious reasons) but most of the managers I've worked for never felt the support of their district manager or franchisee. Thus trickling down the totem pole.
Pros
Guaranteed clientele. decent tips even for beginners.
Cons
Underdeveloped management.

Comment – November 15, 2016

We are sorry to see your frustrations. Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be the franchisee. Please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Sometimes the means do not justify the results...
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 6, 2016
Customers were awesome! Money was sufficient. Company benefits were offered which is a huge deal in today's economy. In a field made of primarily women you would think you could find regularity in hours for individuals, however this is not the case. With three kids at home, one in which had health issues that I needed to tend to often I was having a hard time being flexible enough. I was unable to fulfill the irregular hours in schedules especially with such short notice. Unstable work environment makes being a mommy very difficult.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Unstable hours
Good place to work but not so good pay
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Paola, KSAugust 27, 2016
This company is a fun place to work. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The clientele are pretty descent to work with most often. The pay is not great and not very good benefits. I feel that if you have taken the time and money to educate yourself in a certain field the pay should reflect it. This is a good place to start your career in cosmetology but not as a long term. They don't always work with your outside- of- work life. The hardest part of this job is getting scheduled the hours you can work and not the hours you can't.
Pros
fun co-workers
Cons
short breaks, healthcare

Comment – August 30, 2016

Thank you for your comments. Each salon is independently owned and operated by a franchisee who uses a number of different factors to determine overall compensation & benefits. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed. We will get it to your franchisee to contact you.

It's a job not a career
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 16, 2016
The work/life balance is terrible. Hourly rate is hardly above minimum wage despite of high cost of living in the area. They do not compensate pay for experience. Really well for people who are just starting out in the hair industry. You get a lot of practice cutting which is hard to obtain at other salons. It is a fast pace environment and you do not need your own clientele.
Pros
walk-in clientele, healthcare benefits, training
Cons
work/life balance, wage, unchallenging

Comment – October 17, 2016

Great Clips is a retail business offering great haircuts at the most convenient times for customers. Franchisee and managers work hard to staff the salons for customer traffic while taking into account a work/life balance. They understand that the busiest times for haircuts are typically nights and weekends. You are welcome to email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed. We will provide it to your franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

La plata location is terrible
Stylist (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDDecember 25, 2016
Working here for owners and management that care nothing about stylists. Just numbers. No benefits. No steady hours. $8.00 an hour with no raise. Been there 5 years still making $8.00 an hour. You can only depend on your tips only if you are lucky enough to get hours. Do not waste your time
Cons

Comment – December 27, 2016

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns is your franchisee. Franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine total compensation and it can vary. If you'd like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

To demanding
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 8, 2017
DEPENDING on management, it can be a fun workplace. Sometimes you have to work 6 days in a row for 2-3 weeks depending on coupons drop dates. You practically have to sale to every client.. we hate it and the clients hate it. The products are there, clients see them, if they want it, they will buy it; No need to shove it down their throats.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Short breaks

Comment – January 9, 2017

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your comments would be the franchisee. If you'd like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will forward it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Great for beginners
Salon Stylist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 31, 2016
Great if you are fresh out of school. Be prepared to work multiple days 2 weeks plus without a day off. Be prepared to work about every weekend. Be prepared to meet a quota on how much time you have a client in your chair and how much you sell. Lots of pressure! Be prepared to go home if it's slow. Be prepared if your fulltime to not get your 40 hours when slow. Benefits are expensive for family. Not the greatest money maker but for learning its a good start. If your an adult trying to take care of your family not so much.
Pros
Learning, has benefits
Cons
schedule, time constraints

Comment – September 1, 2016

Great Clips is a retail business offering great haircuts at the most convenient times for customers. Franchisees and salon managers understand that the busiest times for haircuts are typically nights and weekends. They work hard to staff the salons for customer traffic while still taking into account a work/life balance. If you would like follow up regarding your feedback, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and we will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Fun place to work and learn.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 30, 2016
I don't know how it is with other franchisee owners but ours is great !! I've been with great clips for two years and wish I would've started here straight out of beauty school. There is always room for advancement. Benefits and paid holiday off after a year, we even have a 401k plan!!! Competitive pay is offered and advanced training.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
Can be overwhelming at first.

Comment – September 1, 2016

We appreciate that you are a member of a GREAT community of stylists and managers. Thank you for everything you do in the salon each day.

Loved the fast pace.
customer service (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed the fast pace and my returning clients. Although the management wasn't what I was hoping for, the job was fun and gave me experience as a hair stylist.
Pros
The clients and staff were fun to work with.
Cons
No Benefits.

Comment – January 12, 2017

We are sorry that you were frustrated with the management at your salon. Since each location is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your comments. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Not for someone who has been in this business forever
Stulist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 5, 2016
I was in full service befor Great Clips. There is no continuous Educatiion for any one no benefits because they try to keep your hours down and you work your butt off for 9.25 and then people tip you $1 or 2 or nothing at all. You never forge a relationship with a client and are able to give them stellar customer service because you have to get them out in 15 minutes. Just not for me

Comment – September 6, 2016

We are sorry to read about your frustrations while working in the salon. Each location is owned and operated by a franchisee, who would be the best person to address your comments. If you'd like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & we will forward it to your former franchisee. Thank you.

Fun fast paced work environment
stylist (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MONovember 9, 2016
Great clips is a terrific place to work. Expecially if you are fresh out of school. They provide so much hands on education. I learned so much about cutting hair. They do so many great things for the community. It's a fun fast paced environment.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay
Cons
Health benifits.

Comment – November 11, 2016

Thank you for your comments. Each salon is independently owned and operated by a franchisee and we appreciate your feedback.

Comment – November 14, 2016

Thanks for your feedback and comments. We appreciate that you were a part of a great team.

Love the clients and stylist. Owners don't care and neither does corporate
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 18, 2016
I worked for Great Clips for almost 6 years. I stayed that long only because of the amazing team I had established. I was a manager for 2 different locations for a total of 5 years I seen so many talented stylist come and go because of terrible ownership, terrible pay, owners not appreciate their employees, and much much more!!! When you have an amazing staff it makes it so hard to leave. The even more hard part is the amazing clients! After 6 years I had to finally say good bye due to the lack of appreciation and respect. Unfortunately for the owner o worked for, my entire staff decided to quit when I left! That's goes to show who the staff trusted and appreciated more!! When I started with the company I loved it! I believed in it! And now I see what many talented stylist seen and went through before me. I know not all owners are terrible and least I hope they are not! But it's terrible that Great Clips allows these terrible owners to be there.
Pros
Tips, flexible schedule(depending on owner)
Cons
No health insurance, no 401k, no sick days, no bonus(again depending on owner) not appreciated, ect 😟
Comfy but not a career salon
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYOctober 27, 2016
I loved my time at my Great Clips, but only because of the amazing girls I worked with. The owners had no knowledge of the beauty industry, and it was very little pay and even less benefits. Its a great place for a young stylist to hone their cutting skill, but not a place to stay for years.

Comment – October 29, 2016

We are sorry you were frustrated with your compensation. Since each salon is independently owned and operated, franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine a stylist's total pay and benefits. If you'd like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & we will forward it to the franchisee. Thank you.

Good work environment but overall the company doesn't treat its employees very well.
Hair Stylist/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Angola, INOctober 6, 2016
The company is rapidly growing and has had a large amount of success in the recent years in the surrounding area. However, they don't offer many benefits to the employees and pay them the bare minimum.

Comment – October 8, 2016

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, individual franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine a stylist's total compensation and benefits. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to your franchisee to contact you regarding your feedback. Thank you.

Slave camp
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI /Stadium & PackardAugust 8, 2016
Worst place ever to work...no benefits. .low pay.....high stress always hounded to cut faster and sell more product..... will not pay vacation if you don't ask for it ...work most weeks 6 days long hours because nobody wants to work in this environment
Pros
Lots of customers
Cons
Low pay, no personal life

Comment – August 30, 2016

We are sorry to read about your frustrations. Since each salon is independently owned and operated, individual franchisees may use a number of factors to determine overall compensation. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed. We will provide your feedback to the franchisee of that salon. Thank you.

each franchisee is different
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILOctober 3, 2016
I worked with great clips from 2010-2016. My experience working with the company..every franchisee is different as far as benefits and compensation goes.
Cons
hard to get time off, poor compensation
great people but lowsey pay
STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 17, 2016
I loved my staff there and think the company treated me great. I do not like that people working there 10-12 years are making the same amount of money as I am being there 3 years. There's not a whole lot of room to get a raise and the owners don't make you feel as though they think you deserve more money. I would definitely suggest someone that wants a career as a hair stylist go to a higher end salon or opening their own because you will make less than minimum wage here.
Pros
great training for new stylists
Cons
low pay
Stylist (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 4, 2016
This is the best place that I have worked for. The people I work with always make work fun. The company is amazing all the benefits are very worth it. I would recommend this to anybody.

Comment – October 7, 2016

We appreciate everything you and your team do in the salon every day! Thank you for being part of a GREAT team of stylists and mangers.

Appreciation, compensation and advancement
Team leader / manager (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, PANovember 2, 2016
Great Clips is not only a salon brand but a culture. I have been in the industry for over 20 years and have never felt more appreciated than I do right now working for great clips for just over 1 yr. I look forward to going to work everyday. This company knows what they're doing with ongoing education and training. There is no boundaries to the opportunities that are within this company. Ive never been happier with my team, my paycheck and the endless amount of love and support from my great clips family far and wide! If you're someone who is passionate about growing as a stylist and a person , and enjoy making money this is the place for you!
Pros
Education, advancement, travel, customer base
Cons

Comment – November 3, 2016

Thank you for being a part of a GREAT community of stylists and managers! We appreciate all the work you and your team do in the salon every day. Thank YOU!!! :-)

tips make the job worth it
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHMay 15, 2016
raises not based on your flexibility, being on time, working well with others, brand loyalty, following listed dress code or posted point system.

raises are based on a scale of things, that are all numbers working against each other. haircut time is very hard to obtain if you are trying to sell the product as well. Busy salons often leave you waiting in a line to check customer out at register and thus your cut time goes up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8