Great Clips Employee Reviews

Found 1,033 reviews matching the search
they let you know you are replaceable everyday and if you dont like something you know where the door is
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCFebruary 22, 2017
The upside is it's a fast paced fun enviroment to work for, you meet lots of new people and have the opportunity to make good money. The downside is, you must remain completely flexible, work every weekend, big employment turnover, not family oriented, no breaks allowed on sundays or when busy, must work most holidays, open 7 days a week, no room for growth or advancement, poor management! mandatory meetings on scheduled days off, reprimanded for not selling products
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no breaks, no raises, no weekends off
is great for advancement
Stylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 14, 2017
Super education and career goals offered Loved my shop and staff most days went really well most of my time was spent on customers and sharing responsibilities with staff Shop was comfortable and friendly besides some great quality work Great Clips trains and we maintain that standard We had our ups and downs but it really was fun and rewarding
Pros
Good wages and Benefits
Cons
so many changes in upper management
February 15, 2017

Thank you! Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would handle the hiring of their managers and staff. We appreciate that you were part of the Great Clips team!

Appreciation, compensation and advancement
Team leader / manager (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, PANovember 2, 2016
Great Clips is not only a salon brand but a culture. I have been in the industry for over 20 years and have never felt more appreciated than I do right now working for great clips for just over 1 yr. I look forward to going to work everyday. This company knows what they're doing with ongoing education and training. There is no boundaries to the opportunities that are within this company. Ive never been happier with my team, my paycheck and the endless amount of love and support from my great clips family far and wide! If you're someone who is passionate about growing as a stylist and a person , and enjoy making money this is the place for you!
Pros
Education, advancement, travel, customer base
November 3, 2016

Thank you for being a part of a GREAT community of stylists and managers! We appreciate all the work you and your team do in the salon every day. Thank YOU!!! :-)

Short term job at best
Stylist (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at work involves constant customers with no breaks. They literally expect you to work 8 hours with no break. You are nothing but a number to this company. All stylists are replaceable. It doesn't matter how good your haircuts are, if you do not meet their metrics (15 min haircuts, cleanup time between clients, product sales, etc.), you will be fired. Hard place to work for when they don't treat you as an individual, you're nothing but a number to them. I'd love to see turnover rates for this company, because stylists usually don't last longer than 3-6 months. They work you to death until you've had enough and want to quit.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Minimum wage, no breaks, micromanagement
Depends on your franchisee.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2016
I've worked for the company for 6 years. I believe everything that the company is over all doing for their clients. Different franchisee's may pay a little more than others, maybe give a 401k, etc. If I could do it all over again I would really do my research if this is a company you believe in. Make sure they will not only take customer care to the net level, but take care of YOU and provide the atmosphere you need to thrive. That is my biggest complaint. Managers who do not have the desire to see their store or employees grow. They get burnt out (for obvious reasons) but most of the managers I've worked for never felt the support of their district manager or franchisee. Thus trickling down the totem pole.
Pros
Guaranteed clientele. decent tips even for beginners.
Cons
Underdeveloped management.
November 15, 2016

We are sorry to see your frustrations. Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be the franchisee. Please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Good place to work but not so good pay
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Paola, KSAugust 27, 2016
This company is a fun place to work. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The clientele are pretty descent to work with most often. The pay is not great and not very good benefits. I feel that if you have taken the time and money to educate yourself in a certain field the pay should reflect it. This is a good place to start your career in cosmetology but not as a long term. They don't always work with your outside- of- work life. The hardest part of this job is getting scheduled the hours you can work and not the hours you can't.
Pros
fun co-workers
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
August 30, 2016

Thank you for your comments. Each salon is independently owned and operated by a franchisee who uses a number of different factors to determine overall compensation & benefits. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed. We will get it to your franchisee to contact you.

La plata location is terrible
Stylist (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDDecember 25, 2016
Working here for owners and management that care nothing about stylists. Just numbers. No benefits. No steady hours. $8.00 an hour with no raise. Been there 5 years still making $8.00 an hour. You can only depend on your tips only if you are lucky enough to get hours. Do not waste your time
December 27, 2016

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns is your franchisee. Franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine total compensation and it can vary. If you'd like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Owners are a joke
Employee (Former Employee) –  East York, PAJanuary 27, 2017
If your owner is not in the hair business, do not bother.
And, the training is a disaster. they show you how to cut "their way" and its like 4 hair cuts. You are also timed. There are stylists doing hair for 25+ years making $7.50 and have to pull teeth to get a 25cent raise.
We were told not to talk to the clients to make our hair cut times faster. The owner is also not a fair man. Some girls get away with everything, others can barely take a breath without being hounded on.
Pros
Great stylists
Cons
Owners, pay rate, training is a joke
January 28, 2017

We are sorry to see your frustrations while working in the salon. Because each location is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be the franchisee. You can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

February 1, 2017

We are sorry to see your frustrations while working in the salon. Since each location is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be the franchisee. You are welcome to email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Fun place to work and learn.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 30, 2016
I don't know how it is with other franchisee owners but ours is great !! I've been with great clips for two years and wish I would've started here straight out of beauty school. There is always room for advancement. Benefits and paid holiday off after a year, we even have a 401k plan!!! Competitive pay is offered and advanced training.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
Can be overwhelming at first.
September 1, 2016

We appreciate that you are a member of a GREAT community of stylists and managers. Thank you for everything you do in the salon each day.

It's a job not a career
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 16, 2016
The work/life balance is terrible. Hourly rate is hardly above minimum wage despite of high cost of living in the area. They do not compensate pay for experience. Really well for people who are just starting out in the hair industry. You get a lot of practice cutting which is hard to obtain at other salons. It is a fast pace environment and you do not need your own clientele.
Pros
walk-in clientele, healthcare benefits, training
Cons
work/life balance, wage, unchallenging
October 17, 2016

Great Clips is a retail business offering great haircuts at the most convenient times for customers. Franchisee and managers work hard to staff the salons for customer traffic while taking into account a work/life balance. They understand that the busiest times for haircuts are typically nights and weekends. You are welcome to email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed. We will provide it to your franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

To demanding
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 8, 2017
DEPENDING on management, it can be a fun workplace. Sometimes you have to work 6 days in a row for 2-3 weeks depending on coupons drop dates. You practically have to sale to every client.. we hate it and the clients hate it. The products are there, clients see them, if they want it, they will buy it; No need to shove it down their throats.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Short breaks
January 9, 2017

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your comments would be the franchisee. If you'd like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will forward it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

I would never work for the RLO franchise again
Stylist and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJanuary 4, 2017
Great clips was a pretty good place to work for but it all depends on which franchisee you are working at, the RLO is one of the biggest one in Ohio and it was terrible, they are very cheap and do not respect there stylist. We were told by several different people from management that all stylist are easily replaceable. They expect you to come in on days off yet if you have to call in sick they act like it's the end of the world. There is clear favoritism. Making stylist working off the clock with no pay, mainatory training and meeting with no pay. Also during the great clip sales you are expected to work open to close with no break. I would rather live in a cardboard box than work there again.
Other franchisee are much much nicer to work for
Pros
Employee discount, free family haircuts
Cons
Not enough pay, very high turn over
January 5, 2017

Because each location is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be the franchisee. We are sorry to see you frustrations while working in the salon. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Independently owned!
Owner of Macon Great Clips (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 14, 2016
Every Great Clips is independently owned and operated, so experiences are always based on who owns the salon -- and of course the manager :) Great Clips offers free training, no booth rental, hourly pay, tips, lots of bonus programs, and advancement to management. It's a great place to work and make a positive difference in people's lives!
Pros
No booth rental; lots of clients
October 19, 2016

We are happy to have you as a member of a GREAT team! Thank you for everything you do in the salon each day.

Pleasant
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 24, 2017
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the conflicting scheduling of many stylist. You get to interact with all types of people from all cultures and make them feel good about themselves. management is awesome due to learning many different challenges.
January 25, 2017

Thank you and your team for everything you do in the salon each day to deliver the Great Clips brand!

run of the mill short term income producer
Hairstylist / Designer (Former Employee) –  Castaic, CAJanuary 26, 2017
This organizations serves the general public in a basic capacity ..,meeting the general needs of the public, in a family oriented service.
It is primarily designed to benefit the franchise owner,however there are opportunities to advance with their network, if one is diligent to be observant of the great clips social network, which is presented in a company "newsletter" type format,if i remember correctly.
This information is not, however always presented to all employees on a regular basis. It depends on the individual owners temperament towards the immediate shop environment,how well that particular shop is doing,etc. It is a very "clique-Y' environment,especially in terms of accessing the 'network'..whose mindset is much more prevalent in the midwest, not so accessible here in southern California.
I was this org for about two years before I even knew this activity existed.
Pros
tips can be decent, considering culture here, on busier days.
Cons
short term income, in reality, at best
January 28, 2017

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the person best able to address your comments would be the franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

February 1, 2017

We are sorry that this was your experience. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will forward it to the franchisee for contact with you regarding your concerns. Thank you.

I love this company!
Stylist; Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 16, 2016
I have worked for Great Clips on and off for 6 years. You know it's a good place to be when you keep coming back. I've had a successful career and many opportunities for personal and professional growth. I have a very supportive group of people working along side me to ensure I have everything I need to advance and succeed. The only reason I'm even THINKING of finding something else is because of personal changes in my life that were unexpected. If you want a fun but stable work atmosphere and lots of opportunity, this is the place for you.
December 19, 2016

Thank you for your comments and feedback! We LOVE having you as a great team member & we appreciate everything you do in the salon each day.

Loved the fast pace.
customer service (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed the fast pace and my returning clients. Although the management wasn't what I was hoping for, the job was fun and gave me experience as a hair stylist.
Pros
The clients and staff were fun to work with.
Cons
No Benefits.
January 12, 2017

We are sorry that you were frustrated with the management at your salon. Since each location is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your comments. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

great for beginners
stylist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2016
I love the experience and gaining knowledge from seminars. Get a good manager and things will be easier with scheduling. Sell your product!!
Pros
great management, fun atmosphere, rewarding clients
Cons
low hourly pay, high turnover rate, random schedules with little notice, can get fired if you don't make product sells
October 14, 2016

Thank you for having been part of a great team of stylists and managers. Good luck in the future!

A good place to start your career in cosmotology
Assistant Manager/ Stylst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2016
If your starting your career, great start depending on the management/ owner. The training is impeccable. Location is very important. The key is finding a great store and Management. Working for them for 15 years I found it to be very challenging for a African american to work in the southern region stores. .And corporate is not better, The tips can be great and you can live. It all depends on your skills and personality. If you can see through adversity you can make it, if not find another brand franchise.
Pros
Great training and sharpens your cutting skills
Cons
Racism, over micro management and hard to grow. Get experience and run
Sometimes the means do not justify the results...
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 6, 2016
Customers were awesome! Money was sufficient. Company benefits were offered which is a huge deal in today's economy. In a field made of primarily women you would think you could find regularity in hours for individuals, however this is not the case. With three kids at home, one in which had health issues that I needed to tend to often I was having a hard time being flexible enough. I was unable to fulfill the irregular hours in schedules especially with such short notice. Unstable work environment makes being a mommy very difficult.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Unstable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8