Great Clips Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 9, 2016
Flexible schedules, above minimum wage pay, many ways to give yourself a raise each day with productivity and product bonuses. Great franchisees that genuinely care about their employees. Continued education available. Opportunities to move up into management. Salons are small, with only 6 or 7 employees so it feels like a family. 3 different locations in just Kenosha, as well as one in Racine. Whether you're looking for part time or full time, Great Clips is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good starting pay, bonuses available
Cons
No health insurance
Great if you just wanna cut hair and str8 out of beauty school
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 5, 2015
Depending on the management and owner (great clips is a franchise) they all offer and produce different qualities. Base pay isn't all that great...no career advancement...you'll always hear about what your not doing right than what made a difference in the customers and overall moral of the salon. Hours are not great unless you either have a decent clientele or you just don't have a life and they'll work u when they need you. Customers are cool once they stop asking "are you new here??" It's hard to keep up productivity when it's slow ALL DAY...the franchisees don't show enough appreciation towards their stylists who basically run their company...management pay is not great...
Pros
Tips
Cons
Not enough pay, no real benefits, working for nothing
its a job
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 31, 2016
if you like ruining a hairstyling career work here. management for the most part is equivalent to a high school popular girl clique! pay is demeaning and no benefits
A career that didn't pay well
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 24, 2016
I've been in Cosmetology for 15 years. I went to work here and they told me they would pay me $8.75/hr to start. I was only being paid $8.50/hr. the entire time I worked here. For being in this career field for this long, it seems far too little. The management was very demanding and to work all nights and weekends became too much to handle for paychecks that couldn't even pay my bills.
Productive fun work place
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 30, 2016
Great Clips is a fun wonderful place to work. You will learn how to give a good quality hair cut in a timely manner along with excellent customer service skills. The pay could be better but has good incentives if you work harder. My co workers and management are friendly and willing to help if needed. overall a good place to work.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Pay
Great Place to work.
Licensed Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 15, 2016
Fun fast paced environment that is always promoting ongoing education. Supportive management and staff. Great work/life balance.
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Limited advancement
Horrible Place to work!! DON'T RECOMMEND
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Monument, COFebruary 12, 2016
I ended up working at Great Clips right out of beauty school for only a few short months. Aside from the AWFUL management, you can't even give a good hair cut in amount of time allotted for each client (13-17 min). Working here made me question why I even started doing hair (lucky for me I got out in time to not waste my skills and passion for a company so unappreciative of their employees) The breaks were few and far between, and it was difficult to be creative as this place was run like a Chinese sweat shop! I love all my clients and only want to give them the absolute best and this place falls extremely short of meeting that requirement.

**please note this review is for the Monument, CO location. I sure hope all Great Clips aren't run this way and if they are get out now you deserve better!!!!
Pros
co workers
Cons
no breaks, management, hours, minimum wage
Diverse Workplace with Great Co-Workers
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Upper Arlington, OHMarch 21, 2016
The Great Clips in Arlington Square offers a very culturally diverse workforce and client base. The environment overall is very healthy and the air quality is better than most salons because we do not perform chemical services. The staff works together as a team and due to good communication there is very few work related conflicts and zero drama.
Pros
Good air quality, beautiful combination of cultures, part time employees are given vacation time.
Cons
Health insurance is not up to my standards.
Friendly work environment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 24, 2016
Decent amount of traffic. Co-workers worked well together as a team, you could decide when you wanted to take your lunch, clients became regular clients within just a couple visits. I learned different techniques for some haircuts and buzz cuts for men. Management was understanding with any emergencies that would arise, willing to help out on days when the salon was full of clients to help cut clients wait time. hardest part of the job in my opinion would be having to cut a child's hair that was terrified of getting his or her hair cut. most enjoyable part of the job would be the face clients would have after their hair is done and seeing how much better they feel when the look in the mirror and hearing them say they love their hair.
Pros
half off products, able to take requests.
Cons
docked full 30 minutes for lunch even if you did not take 30 minutes
Good starter job
Assistant Manager of the location (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJanuary 14, 2016
I did not join this company to be there long term, just long enough to get some experience. The pay scale was very confusing when converted into a new system, and my store was very slow as it was in a discreet location. A typical day at work was sitting in the back doing manager's paperwork or trying to keep the product shelves clean from dust and hair. The store itself never stayed very clean unless we knew the owners or State Board might stop in. Most of my coworkers were lazy and did not take direction from management well. The management at my store was very self- centered when our original manager had been promoted. The hardest part of my job was trying to get the rest of the team on board with keeping the store clean. The most enjoyable part of my job was providing haircuts and establishing relationships with the clients.
Pros
Great reliable clientele, Nice owners
Cons
Management, lazy team members, pay
Great opportunity to learn and sharpen your hairstyling skills
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed being busy and learning to be quicker at cutting hair. It is nice that they provide training. The opportunity for advancement is there and the potential to increase your salary. The manager was great to work with.
Good pay structure, opportunities for advancement
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Belleville, MIAugust 7, 2016
What I like is that I make really good money here. But I work at it. The customers are there, you just have to make sure you are focused on them and providing a great service. Then the money comes easy.

What I also like is there are a lot of opportunities for advancement. Our GM started off as a stylist 6 years ago, and she is doing a great job helping us. I have learned so much about what it takes to be a great stylist. I love that

What I don't like is sometimes we are too busy. It can be hard somedays, but just remind myself that I'm making good money. Makes it so much easier to pay those bills.
Pros
Advance training, guaranteed income, health insurance
Cons
Long days, very busy salons.
Seems great at first but not a good place
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IA , Fort Dodge IAAugust 11, 2016
I worked for this company 3 times. all three times I watched them sweep problems under the rug however they could. This means not solving issue and even letting go of the the good employee and keeping the bad. this last time I had a coworker get upset with me and they had me attacked in the parking lot by two men. The police had to be involved and they made me miss work and her work because she came in first and they wanted her to have cool down time. She was angry that she had a visit from the police. This may be a ok starter job but I would not want it full time Again. All locations owned by these people are like this!
Pros
good tips if you treat clients bad
Cons
poor leadership, unsafe
A good place to start your career in cosmotology
Assistant Manager/ Stylst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2016
If your starting your career, great start depending on the management/ owner. The training is impeccable. Location is very important. The key is finding a great store and Management. Working for them for 15 years I found it to be very challenging for a African american to work in the southern region stores. .And corporate is not better, The tips can be great and you can live. It all depends on your skills and personality. If you can see through adversity you can make it, if not find another brand franchise.
Pros
Great training and sharpens your cutting skills
Cons
Racism, over micro management and hard to grow. Get experience and run
12 years in the beauty industry 2 yrs.@ GC
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 23, 2016
Las Vegas NV hourly pay rate is low compared to other states 7.00 hr. (below minimum wage!) You work hard and it is a hustle. Tips vary depending on your hustle. Great place to start off at to build clientel or have as a second job, but not recommended for long term. They offer product training and continuing education as a plus, but the job can be wear and tear on the body due to high expections. I personally averaged 20 haircuts a day and my feet are paying for it!

Lastly, they wrote me personal check as my final check when I quit and mailed it to me (apparently that's something the owner thinks is ok to do once you leave the company, but it's not professional at all). I even asked for a check stub, but received no response, extremely tacky and I gave a two week notice. I was cheated at least $200. My final thought is: as stylists, we should have a union so that our talent and special skills are not exploited by instiutions such as this.
Pros
product training and continuing education, tips
Cons
wear and tear on body, low pay, high expectations
poor management
Full time manager as well as hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Plainville, MAApril 27, 2016
I was forced to not allow my staff any breaks , I was 8 months pregnant I took no breaks my self I was the manager and was not allowed to drink or eat , I went from 13 stylists to 2 stylists plus myself to work 9-9 mon-sat and sun10-6 So I ended up having to leave because the baby stopped growing so i made the decision to leave and ended up going into pre-term labor at 8 and a 1/2 months early. i was supposed to go to LEADS shortly after the salon was up and running so i knew how to run my salon , but never happened .there was always a problem with the schedual, she wouldn't let me make it, then someone would quit, or something else.
Pros
being the manager of a salon was my dream
Cons
there was never enough staff for me to go to LEADS
Productive and great workplace
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILJune 8, 2016
Overall this salon was great to work for. They have an amazing clientele base and the atmosphere in the salon is good! The other stylist are a good group to work with and easy to get along with. They always provide room for advancement and constant training. The management is fair and very by the books so as long as you do your job and follow the rules then you will be fine. Most people leave here because they either break the rules or they don't like that their isn't a set schedule.
Pros
Good tips, training, room for growth, great owners
Cons
Sometimes short handed, no set schedule, open late
The best salon in Vernal Utah.
stylist (Current Employee) –  Vernal, UtOctober 12, 2015
I love working with GREAT CLIPS. I have had the best experience. They have allowed me opportunities to grow in my career by providing advanced education. The staff is amazing now that we have been able to weed out the stylists that created a lot of drama. We do a lot of customers everyday, and the tips are really good. I make a lot of money at this salon, more than I have ever made at any other salon. The benefits are really good, and they have a lot of hours available for me to work so I can make a good living.
Love the clients and stylist. Owners don't care and neither does corporate
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 18, 2016
I worked for Great Clips for almost 6 years. I stayed that long only because of the amazing team I had established. I was a manager for 2 different locations for a total of 5 years I seen so many talented stylist come and go because of terrible ownership, terrible pay, owners not appreciate their employees, and much much more!!! When you have an amazing staff it makes it so hard to leave. The even more hard part is the amazing clients! After 6 years I had to finally say good bye due to the lack of appreciation and respect. Unfortunately for the owner o worked for, my entire staff decided to quit when I left! That's goes to show who the staff trusted and appreciated more!! When I started with the company I loved it! I believed in it! And now I see what many talented stylist seen and went through before me. I know not all owners are terrible and least I hope they are not! But it's terrible that Great Clips allows these terrible owners to be there.
Pros
Tips, flexible schedule(depending on owner)
Cons
No health insurance, no 401k, no sick days, no bonus(again depending on owner) not appreciated, ect 😟
Great place to learn how to cut hair, not a place to stay and make a career
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHJuly 13, 2016
Long hours on your feet. Very busy. Customers are usually rude and treat you like you owe them something. Pay is not great, most customers tip 2 dollars per haircut. My co workers are all great people and the schedule is pretty flexible other than mandatory weekends. you are only allowed one Saturday off a month and two, maybe three Sundays off a month. Because the haircuts are so cheap it brings in lower income people who sadly are usually the rude and smelly/ greasy hair customers.

2.8