Great Clips Employee Reviews in United States

Shear Winds
LICENSED COSMETOLOGIST, SHEAR WINDS (Former Employee) –  Milford, OHFebruary 5, 2016
Shear winds was a company ran by terrible selfish people who preyed upon low income workers. They were abusive to staff and management alike and I left this entire industry due to my experience with this company. It was terrible and I would never ever ever work for this company or in this field again nor would I ever recommend this company to anyone.
Horrible Place to work!! DON'T RECOMMEND
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Monument, COFebruary 12, 2016
I ended up working at Great Clips right out of beauty school for only a few short months. Aside from the AWFUL management, you can't even give a good hair cut in amount of time allotted for each client (13-17 min). Working here made me question why I even started doing hair (lucky for me I got out in time to not waste my skills and passion for a company so unappreciative of their employees) The breaks were few and far between, and it was difficult to be creative as this place was run like a Chinese sweat shop! I love all my clients and only want to give them the absolute best and this place falls extremely short of meeting that requirement.

**please note this review is for the Monument, CO location. I sure hope all Great Clips aren't run this way and if they are get out now you deserve better!!!!
Pros
co workers
Cons
no breaks, management, hours, minimum wage
Good job
Stylist (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 2, 2016
Learned how to do 15 plus hair cuts a day. My customer service skills are much better too thanks to working directly with customers. everyone that I worked with was very nice and always happy and always trying to help each other out. the hardest part was days having a bad customer and they yell or try to put you down you learn to just keep on going and forget about it.
Fast paced but fun
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJanuary 4, 2016
-Learned to cut down my haircut times between 13-17min
-Became a very social
-Learned to be more communicative

very few co-workers, had to learn to get along and solve problems quick.

hardest part is having customers tell you that you don't know how to cut hair and how long it should take.

most enjoyable part was meeting all the new people and building a clientele.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
unpredictable work pattern
postitive environment
salon manager (Current Employee) –  Athens-Clarke County, GADecember 27, 2015
Very busy and upbeat environment. Everyone is very productive and enjoying the customers. We get the customers in and out in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and enjoying what I do for a living. The hardest part of the job is sometimes there is a wait time and customers don't want to wait, and they leave. But we try our best to convince them that we move fast and that the wait will be short.
Pros
Great hours, tips, and incentives
Cons
short breaks and sometimes on call
A day in the life
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work is going in, clocking in, setting up my work area, putting customers into the computer, servicing the customer and ringing out the customer.

Had great management and amazing co-workers.

The most enjoyable part of my job was making someone feel better about themselves
Productive and busy
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  ArliingtonMay 23, 2016
I enjoyed working as a hairstylist though my 4 years in college. It provided me with a flexible work schedule that helped me with my study schedule as well.
Pros
fun to work in, had lots of friends, clients were amazing, meeting new clients.
Cons
It was not the profession I went to college for.
good
Manager-Stylist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2016
great salon not enough money, team players. we worked together. great tips. people loved us. owers husband was out of line didnt talk nice to staff he didnot have skill to owon staff had great lunch together and fun. ower never said thank u to staff or great job
Pros
we where great
Cons
no health care
Good company to work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILMay 19, 2016
Loved the salon and girls I worked with but management is bad if you are not there best friend you will get blamed for everything and get attacked or talked down to...girls are constantly leaving because of management but owners don't seam to realize that ,too blind to see it
depends on your franchisee
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Corona, Temecula, Escondido, CADecember 14, 2015
I worked for Great Clips for 4 yrs and always enjoyed my job. It was my franchise owner who made all the difference. I was one of several managers he had and he always treated us generously and fairly. He did expect a lot of us but he gave us the tools, resources, and support to be successful. His franchise was number one in the southern California district. He treated us like gold so we would treat our staff like gold and they would treat the customers like gold. It was a trickle down effect that worked very well. Great clips was always a company I admired and enjoyed working for. However, it really is the franchisee that will make or break their stores. Find a good one and stay.
Pros
bonuses, pay, training, outside curriculum
Cons
hours
Flexible and great advancement within career as a Cosmetologist
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILFebruary 1, 2016
I have worked 2 separate years with this company and the ability to gain clientele and move ahead with one's own skills is present and strived for within the company.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Turn over of stylists is common within the Cosmetology field
can't live independently with this
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elverson, PADecember 7, 2015
I enjoyed the job itself, it kept me moving. The women I worked with took a while to get to know and felt like an outsider but that comes with any new job. I just couldn't rely on the hours and pay in order to make the payments I have to deal with and be able to live. This job definitely has advancement opportunity I just couldn't afford to see it happen.
Pros
great environment, great people
Cons
weak pay and hours
good owners and coworkers
Supervisor/store owner Heather vines (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 23, 2015
My issue was that when the summer came, all the hair dressers
wanted the summer off, and 3 people were left holding the bag for the whole summer. If anyone applied, you'd take them because you needed the bodies to cut, not because they proved to be the best selection for the job. It was hard to predict when you'd have people to work or not. I got really tired of being one of the few who did their job.
Pros
great owner and co-workers
Cons
Always had to fill in for an emergency.
Friendly Crew
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 12, 2016
Providing my excellent customer service skill made my position at being a receptionist very easy and fun. Being able to work in an environment with cheerful, outgoing, and friendly people was awesome.
Pros
Got free lunches when a goal was achieved
Cons
Pay
Strict Schedule regardless of worker's family priorities
Licensed Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 24, 2016
Great place to work for a single non parent with flexibility and the capability to stand for long hours without breaks if it's busy.
Pros
Great Pay & Tips, Friendship building co/workers
Cons
Short breaks, Strict rules, High employee turnover rate
Great company
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 5, 2016
Great clips is a great company to work for. The only downfall about the company is the compensation. They are willing to work with any schedule conflicts you may have and they have a great clientele base which makes up for the poor compensation.
Fast paced environment
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hibbing, MNDecember 17, 2015
Everyday you serve different guests, so it is every day is not the same. My best work day consisted of a very happy customer leaving the salon educated on product and how to achieve the style they left the salon with. Daily training is required to be the best hair stylist your guests' expect you to be, which include; learning new techniques, keeping up to date with modern styles, customer service, and computer entry. The worst part of customer service is not being able to make certain guests' happy, for an example, them hating their hair before and after the service, they just aren't happy with their hair. I like for every person to leave my chair feeling confident, so if one leaves feeling the same way when they arrived, than my job has not been done.
Pros
happy customers, on-going training, being busy
Cons
rude customers, hard work with little pay
Experience as an Employee
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 5, 2016
It was a great company to expand with but unfortunately It went out of business in the city where the salon was located. I had a great manager and grew as a stylist quickly.
Cons
Not enough stylists were staffed to accomodate the volume
Good starter job
Assistant Manager of the location (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INJanuary 14, 2016
I did not join this company to be there long term, just long enough to get some experience. The pay scale was very confusing when converted into a new system, and my store was very slow as it was in a discreet location. A typical day at work was sitting in the back doing manager's paperwork or trying to keep the product shelves clean from dust and hair. The store itself never stayed very clean unless we knew the owners or State Board might stop in. Most of my coworkers were lazy and did not take direction from management well. The management at my store was very self- centered when our original manager had been promoted. The hardest part of my job was trying to get the rest of the team on board with keeping the store clean. The most enjoyable part of my job was providing haircuts and establishing relationships with the clients.
Pros
Great reliable clientele, Nice owners
Cons
Management, lazy team members, pay
Great employees and fun enviroment
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 13, 2016
I enjoy working here, my franchisee is a great person and the work environment is inviting. Though we had management problems we got through it and I enjoy cutting hair at this place.
Pros
advancement
Cons
management