Great Lakes Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Everyone is Expendable
Customer Service Agent, Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Page, AZ, Phoenix, AZSeptember 9, 2015
Within this company, despite terrifying government and corporate regulations that are mandatory to memorize, often verbatum, and grueling manual labor, insanely rude and demanding passengers, excessive work loads, long and strange hours; the pay is abismal, the benefits are laughable, and the company does not want to hear questions, complaints, or needs. Unless you keep your head down and do your work without help or complaints, you will have a file collected against you, and will lose your job. Management is abysmal, the owner is too busy flying everywhere on vacation while ignoring all of his own company & FAA policies, not to mention his "guests" getting the same treatment, and all the local polititians, police, fire, and passengers hate you for working there because the airline is so terrible
Pros
Free flights on GLA
Horrible Place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 3, 2016
Had a horrible experience working there. Never knew if we were going to have a job the next day. Company was shutting down places. Lead Mech wouldn't ever really help you. Became a toxic workplace. Very unprofessional. Has the good ol boy system in place. If you weren't in the "in" crowd they could care less about you. Benefits were a joke. The vans that they work out of were Lucky that they ever started. There was no pride in anything.
productive workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMMarch 29, 2016
a wonderful place with wonderful people. always busy something new everyday and the customers are always happy. love working with planes
Best job ive ever had
customer service (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 11, 2016
Hours flucuate alot, fun people, great atmosphere, learned alot about security and airplanes, great customers, awsome co-workers
Pros
FLEXIBLE
Cons
NOT ENOUGH HOURS
Friendly people, poor pay.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYMay 14, 2015
Learned a lot about the airline industry. Worked with a lot of friendly hardworking people. Management was easy to get along with. Only negative aspects were low pay and poor scheduling.
Great Lakes Airlines
Reservations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYSeptember 22, 2012
A typical day at work would be working on E-tickets all day, taking sup calls, helping the agents fix tickets and answering questions, call monitoring the agents, doing daily audits on agents, costantly trainging the agents daily, all while in putting miscellaneous data in the computer through out the day. My co-workers were great, very pleasant to work with. On the other hand management was not pleasant to work under, which created a hostile work enviroment when the manager was present. The hardest part of my job would be when turning down a passenger that did not meet the requirements for a bereavement fare, or to waive a penalty. As well as some of the more diffucult passengers calling to compain. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the agents, having the authority to help a passenger with what i could, turning a sup call with a angree passenger into a great call by the end, and building the relationships with the agents and with all the passengers over the phone.
Pros
flight benefits
Cons
small planes, small company, no holidays off, poor management
Cut corners, Pay low, Lead staff like children, Punish those who do good, promote those who do bad.
Detailer (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 2, 2015
A typical day at work consist of being blamed for others mistakes, seeing unethical practices and fearing for your job if you speak up. If you love to cut corners and put passengers lives at risk you will be a manager or lead ASAP.
Great Culture and people
Ramp agent/Customer service agent (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZJune 9, 2015
Working at Great lakes Airlines introduced me to the aviation industry and I absolutely loved the job. If the wage was more than what it is now I would definitely stay at this job but overall the job is great, the people are awesome, and the prescott location is fun.
Pros
Free Flights, awesome work environment, great people
Cons
low wages
Interesting unique job.
Customer Service Agent/ Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Cortez, COAugust 12, 2013
On a typical day at work I would check in passengers. Communicate with the air craft by radio. Marshal the plane on to the ramp. My agent and I would off load the baggage and the passengers. Then we would load the baggage and the passengers. Next, marshal the plane off the ramp. Take the on and off times from the air craft by radio. Report the times to head quarters using the computer programs. I would check my email and reply as needed. Approve payroll and other management paperwork.

I learned more about managing people. I learned how far I could be stretched by adversity and persevere.

I felt like the management was over worked and that caused them to be less supportive. Over all they were very knowledgeable and ran the company well.

The hardest part of the job was the turnover of the customer service agents. The airport was 20 miles out of town and the shifts were 3 hour shifts, I believe that is why we had such a turn over at Great Lakes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the plane. I also enjoyed training my customer service agents. I always liked interacting with the passengers.
Pros
flight benifits
Cons
pay vs cost of living in moab
Not an enjoyable place to work.
Customer Service Agent Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MinnesotaMarch 18, 2013
A typical day at work can go really well or it can go really wrong.

I learned how to appreciate all the previous jobs I have had.

Management is awful. It's the worst example of managment I have ever experienced.

My co-workers are awesome! I truly enjoy working with each and every one of them.

The hardest part of my job is having to work with management who doesn't work with me and my co-workers, but works against us.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety from day to day and my wonderful co-workers.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
horrible management
I worked on the ramp for the love of aviation
Fuel /Ramp agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 9, 2012
Briefing and handed down the day before success and failures and marshal in all inbound aircraft and prepare it for all its needs to make a safe trip to the next city it arrives

patience during bad weather and to ignore it until the flight leaves.

coworkers are always in the immediate area to watch out for any errors that might occur and help correct it.

management is a part of the work crew and set a fine example of how we work as a team

The long stormy days that lasts until past midnight

The ramp atmosphere the noise of aircraft going by the smell of jet exhaust watching aircraft land and take off near by
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Show Low, AZMay 10, 2015
Had a great time working there! I have known the family who owns it for a really long time! Worked during the summers for extra college cash.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Some customers can be rude.
GLA was a fun experience as it was a return to my younger days. Awesome people to work with!
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 5, 2015
We worked hard and played hard. We all loved and supported each other through some awful weather conditions. I miss you guys!
Terrible Management and Unethical Business Practices
Customer service Agent/Gate Agent (Former Employee) –  LAXAugust 29, 2013
This is a dead end position, the manager at this airline in LAX is un ethical, very unprofessional, un helpful and an extreme micro manager. Typical day is waiting for planes to land and to board current passengers, during the wait you check in current passengers and bags. They Send you to Wyoming for 2 weeks initially and promise you the world, when you return to your station the reality is your just filling in for other employees while they are on vacation. there turnover ratio must be the highest at LAX they retain no employees as the longest tenured employee i wokred with was only there for one year (excluding the manager) The badging requierment with TSA was extremely un-organized and they do not tell you what is required before your appointment on purpose in order to mark you down as being careless. i was let go for reasons for carelesness a week prior to me being issued a TSA badge. as a result i filed a complaint with their company. the EDD of california and received compensation for their unethical business practices.
Don't waist your time
Pilot (Current Employee) –  DenverSeptember 13, 2013
This is the worst company to work for. Management is terrible, the don't treat you like a human and theres no room for advancement.
Pros
non
Cons
too many to list
Exciting and fun workplace
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSJune 22, 2014
Enjoyed learning able the aviation field and all the rules and regulations that went with the job. Learned to grow a great respect for this field and the people I worked with.
Pros
flights benefits
Cons
never close the airpiort
Team environment
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 1, 2014
We were a family and a team with great management. Was an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
great work environment
Csa/gsc
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSFebruary 13, 2014
I really loved working for the airport because of the people I worked with. It felt like a family working there. I would check passengers in, take their checked bags to TSA then to the baggage cart, wait for plane to call in range and communicate information with the pilots, call for security to start, direct the plane in, unload gate checked and checked bags for passengers, then load outgoing bags and gate checked bags, walk incoming passengers to terminal then walk outgoing passengers to the plane. Direct plane out then close flight in the computer, put bags in baggage claim, then do missing baggage claims. I also had to know how to use a GPU, a tug, and a deicer.
Pros
free flights
Cons
short and multiple shifts
Great travel benefits
CSR (Current Employee) –  Huron, SDJuly 1, 2013
I mostly just check people in and have them ready for the flight out. Removing baggage and passangers from a plane. Enter flight details into computer. So far the hardest part of this job has been all the different programs required for flight data entry.
Pros
travel benefits
Cons
poor hourly wage
fun work place
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Merced, CADecember 19, 2012
over all experience was great. some of the people there made it hard to manage due to the small staff. lots of gossip among TSA and Great Lakes. Scheduling made it difficult to make any profit while working there ex. 2 hour split shifts though out the day. 4am-6am, 2pm-4pm, 830pm-10pm ect.
Pros
friendly among some coworkers, very easy collaberation with pilots
Cons
scheduling, gossip