Great Lakes Cheese Employee Reviews

Great pay and great benefits. No communication skills, no knowledge amongst supervisors and managers
Raw Transporter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNJuly 14, 2016
I loved on Friday when i got paid. But, you never had a set schedule and the supervisors always made changes to the production schedule without giving any notice and expected the employees to read their minds. I loved my position besides not ever getting any communication from supervisors on changes and then getting fussed at when I got behind because they changed the schedule and never notified me.
good company heading down
bulk cheese handler (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHFebruary 16, 2016
company is going down hill with the hire of outside plant mangers to the hire of supervisor that have no leadership skills working the ones that care into the ground and turning a blind eye to the ones that dont
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks 2x15
faced paced environment, overall good company
Maintenance Technician / Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHJanuary 15, 2016
It's a fast paced environment, Has good owners but all management needs restructuring in all departments. Production department is very unorganized.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Very Fast paced, unorganized, needs corporate restructering
Managed production and sanitation employees to ensure proper company policies and procedures are followed.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIDecember 10, 2015
Scheduling responsibilities. All audits were ready when scheduled. OSHA and USDA regulations were followed. Employee training and transferring into production and sanitation positions.
Pros
Annual company party
Cons
too much favoritism given to a certain shift and personnel
racist people here
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 20, 2016
the way they treat employees suck.... had a bad experience here.was only working a temporary assignment through a temp agency.thank god for that
no response
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIOctober 18, 2015
Decent work place with supportive management. Most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my collegues and learning from them.
Pros
no repsonse
Cons
no response
great company to work for just have a different theroy on management
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hiram, OHJuly 26, 2015
I think they as a company should rely on the people who get them to a certain point instead of looking to the outside for help
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
short breaks and management
Great Lakes Cheese in review
cheese press operator (Former Employee) –  LaCrosse, WINovember 17, 2014
I worked on the cheese press, it was very basic work which included pressing out cheese from packages into barrels, weighing it, and marking it to be put in the cooler. I loved the people I worked with they were great. The hardest part of my job was placing the barrels on a pallet. I loved working by myself at my own pace.
Pros
work at own pace
Cons
no area for advancement in this department
Productive and great work load
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Seymour, WIMarch 13, 2014
Overall the working environment was good all in all, but good use a little less effort. I learned documentation and easy communication skills, I even was able to reach places where others couldn't go. My co-workers were all in all good people, but a few new employes didn't sit well with me. Trying to be efficient and maintain good quality while others are looking down on you was the hardest part. the most enjoyable was the fact I did in fact get along with everyone.
Pros
beneifits, pay, positions, communication with co-workers
Cons
environment, rank, work time
It was just a job, not alot of advancment
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Fillmore, UTAugust 23, 2012
It was usually busy and fast paced!
I learned working as a team helps get things done more efficiently.
Management were always grumpy! looking for what you did wrong but never praising what you did right. They never took any suggestions from the workers on the floor.
My co-workers were good friends and we were able to work together well.
hardest part of the job was the shear volume of work , alot of physical stacking of cheese to fill orders.
I guess the best part of the job was seeing all that was accomplished at the end of the day.
Pros
recieved a pay check
Cons
harsh management.

Want to know more about Great Lakes Cheese?

Ask a question
I enjoyed serving at company cookouts
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHMarch 26, 2013
Very fast paced work environment. No time to get bored. Compensation/ Benefits - Best I ever had. Insurance coverage. 401K plus an ESOPS program Very high up on Quality Values Job Security was good Advancement was trust oriented. Management had a good team overall. Work/ Life Balance-worked out for me. I'd probably still be there if my family lived closer.
Pros
we got yearly cookouts and winter parties
Cons
sometimes there was so much to do breaks got cut short
Amazing place to learn and develope
Supply Chain Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Hiram, OHAugust 15, 2013
I loved my experience with Great Lakes Cheese. Phenomenal management with an opportunity to learn and grow everyday. Not a ton of room to advance into management but if you want a friendly none hierarchical place to work, you can't find much better. Even as an intern, I felt like I was part of the Great Lakes family from day one.
Pros
friendly enviornment, constant learning
Growing Company with excellent profit sharing plan
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHJanuary 15, 2014
Fast paced environment with some good department managers. Often working in confined space with other lift operators and delays. Overtime was available regularly however, weekends were mandatory during holidays so there was little time for family.
Pros
company appreciation lunches and some free products
Cons
breaks were too short
Very productive
Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHDecember 29, 2013
My typical day was to work as a team with everyone on my line so that the line ran smooth and that helped to get more product out. By doing that it also gave everyone a more relaxing day. The hardest part of the job to me was the interview. I loved working there because everyone was very nice, there's always something to do and it was very fast paced!
Pros
picnics
Cons
short breaks
Good reliable job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIOctober 13, 2013
they teach you very well on how to accomplish your position.
You can move up very fast in the job depending on what you are applying for. The only downfall is they hire more foreign people than local. I worked as a temp for 8 months and wasn't accepted a full time position they hired 4 foreigners for a tax cut in obamacare.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad employee management
at times it seems like there were to many chiefs and not enough indians
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHNovember 10, 2014
the overall job was fine the pay was competitive with anyone benefits were good but in my department once the manager of the shipping/receiving department passed away it became a free for all there was tension between shifts day turn was catered to more but more of the burden to fill orders on the other shifts it seems like the direction is going circular instead of upward they are constantly working 6 to 7 days a week and when they added a weekend crew to reduce the overtime but it is mismanaged and they are still working 6-7 days a week and now they have added a second weekend crew and nothing has changed they bring people in when they do not have enough equipment to go around or have lifts parked because they did not schedule enough people to work.
Pros
good friends to work with
Cons
short breaks, no lunch, lack of management direction, a lot of bitter people wanting to get other employees fired
Tedious and monotonous.
Whey Operator (Current Employee) –  Adams, NYOctober 15, 2014
A typical day is repetitive and mundane with sub-par management. Favoritism runs rampant. No structure and little to no responsibility of actions between management level and employees.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
12 hour shifts with 30 min lunch, no chairs=no sitting.
got the job done we worked together
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHJanuary 13, 2014
i worked with a group of 3 people and we expected the best from each other,we could challenge each other to get the job done
Pros
whenever we would set a production record they would have a dinner, good people to work with
Cons
i lived an hour away from the factory
Fun work place and good benefits
Production Line & Brine Worker (Current Employee) –  Cuba, NYOctober 20, 2013
Some days busy and some not so busy.
A lot about how cheese is made, packaged and shipped out.
Good management.
I have really good coworkers.
No really hard part of the job I do.
Not really any enjoyable part of the job all is good.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
no cons
Great place to work you can make a decent living there and make a lot of friends.
Payroll Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hiram, OHDecember 22, 2014
Great Lakes Cheese is a great company to work for. I have been with them since September 2008. I learned a lot from my co-workers and made a lot of friends there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Lakes Cheese. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2