Find companies:
GREAT LAKES DREDGE & DOCK
Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
6 reviews

GREAT LAKES DREDGE & DOCK Employee Reviews

Company Attributes

  • Job Work/Life Balance
  • Compensation/Benefits
  • Job Security/Advancement
  • Management
  • Job Culture
Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Excieting and challening job that requires extensive travel.
Acting Project Engineer (Current Employee), East Coat and Gulf Coast, USAApril 24, 2014
Pros: allways on the ocean, able to see a lot of the east coast of usa, travel and housing is paid for 14 out of every 21 days.
Cons: away from home for 14 days, production driven industry that promotes stress, some times living offshore.
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock is a great company that provides skill sets along the way to mold a Field Engineer into a well rounded Senior Manager. Through my 3.5 years of experience I have been promoted to the Acting Project Engineer of the job site and feel very comfortable in my role. One of the many skill sets I have acquired along the way is the ability to lead and motivate a team of engineers.
A typical work day is all dependent on the stage of the project; during days of mobilization and demobilization it is typical to work 9 hour a days, when the dredge is digging it is typical to work 12 hour days. As a project engineer I feel 60% of my day is working on computer related material where the other 40% in the field, interacting with field engineers along with the crew.
The hardest part about this job is the ability to deal with the stress that comes along with a production driven industry. When we are up and running every wasted minute is a loss in revenue that is unacceptable. It is often that a manager will ask for a drawing or calculation that involves multiple hours of work and they always want it yesterday...
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to be on the beach/ocean. Being the outdoors person, I am about to enjoy fishing and surfing most days after work. If you do not mind spending 2 weeks away from your home at a time this is the ideal job.
Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Productive and very place to work
SHOREMAN (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILApril 18, 2014
A typical work day consist of a 12 hour work shift, Monday thru Sunday with a outstanding management team and co workers. There wasn't a hard part to the job and overall it was an enjoyable place to work.
Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Horrible company to work for
Hydraulic Deckhand / Oiler (Former Employee), Venice, LANovember 5, 2013
Cons: everything
Horrible company, it's like being in an episode of gossip girl when you're riding in the crew boat to your workstation. Several illegal immigrants working for the company, and only they get promoted. Pay is sub-par. And the management is full of illegal alien workers.
Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Offshore
Engineer (Former Employee), Oakbrook,IL.January 19, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: work ends
A company with a strong history and great core values.The pay was great and the people were amazing.
Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Pretty Miserable
Site Administrator (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILAugust 29, 2012
Terrible work schedule, organizational structure, work/life balance, co-workers, almost everything.

I did get to drive a company truck and not pay rent for a year however.

May 27, 2013

Very disfunctional company. Very unfair position. Very low pay for responsiblies and time to complete all assigned tasks. Supervisors only care about protecting their position and will not go to bat for you. Company is very high schoolish, full of egos, and promotes all the wrong people (mostly relatives). Everything about this position is wearing. Only accept if you are dispearate and like feeling like a 2nd class citizen that is disposable. Everyone in this position (company wide) is looking for a way out. BEWARE!