Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation

Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working from home
Borrower Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIOctober 15, 2017
I enjoyed working with Great Lakes but towards the end of my employment I was having a hard time adjusting to all the changes implemented. I would recommend working there however.
Pros
A lot of fun events like blood drive, Christmas bonus & yearly profit sharing
Cons
High compliance mandatory, stressful work environment with management, at will employee
Great pay with great benefits
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Boscobel, WIOctober 12, 2017
Everyone is so nice! Great job if you love being on computers and phones all day.working on customer accounts was easy! And you get 3 weeks of paid training!
Very stressful always on you about EVERYTHING!
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WISeptember 21, 2017
Overall they are not flexible, always always on you about everything. You have to be at your desk pretty much all day. They time you on everything even your breaks, lunch or a bathroom break. The managers are NEVER around when you need them but they always have time for a cofree run on company time. The HR people are beyond rude. If you like to deal with rude people this is your place. I would never suggest this work place.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
No free time, no free lunches, get yelled at pretty much all the time
no job stability ; the job coaches have to comply with the metrics and it is like you are scored by a machine; the best employees are sometimes let go
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 1, 2017
an employees job security is based on measured metrics and not quality
This affects their job security and they are not able to stay as a long term career
Great Benefits
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 22, 2017
Great Benefits, Good opportunity within company, Focus on employee development, Flexible schedule and relaxed dress code make Great Lakes a nice place to work.
Pros
Flex Schedule
Poor Supervisors and Management.
Borrower Services Representative, Level (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WI 54481July 26, 2017
Hours/Shifts reasonable. Training received when applied on the job many times was not correct. Management after a few months became belligerent and harassing. Co-workers on the same job level were pleasant and helpful. Job turnover was constant. Not enough training/time to learn legal updates and changes in call and questioning techniques.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
Management belligerent and harassing. High turnover rate.
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Boscobel, WIMay 16, 2017
Love it here. Just can't sit in cubicle all day on computer. Great benefits and great co-workers. Job consists of dealing with student loan borrowers. Lots of information to adsorb. Can be overwhelming but the back up teams are amazing.
A stay at your desk all day position
Borrower Services/ Outbound Call Center (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIApril 16, 2017
You are evaluated frequently from recorded phone conversations. Everything you do on the computer is timed in minutes or seconds. It would not take much to be out of compliance. You must stay at your desk. Not enough leeway for personal rest or research. Very regimented. The company itself is excellent. The work is done under much pressure, though.
Pros
Decent pay. Clean, nice office and cubicle work areas.
Cons
Not much leeway to go to the restroom, or look something up. Prolonged sitting required.
Review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boscobel, WIMarch 24, 2017
The worst part about the job is that you are expected to sit for 8 hours and answer constant phone calls, there is literally no break in between phone calls other than "wrap time" which you are required to keep under a certain amount of time otherwise you can get written up. It is mentally exhausting and they really don't take that into consideration or try to accommodate anyone with any issues they have. They basically tell you to get over it, use your own personal time and get back on the phone. The company is all about numbers they do not care about individual people what so ever.
Pros
Incentives for coming to work in january(peak month), great health and dental which are affordable. Pay is great for the area.
Cons
Short breaks. No down time between phone calls, which becomes very mentally exhausting
Great place to work!
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Boscobel, WIJanuary 11, 2017
Good benefits and friendly employees. I enjoy helping people all day. Shift bids open up often but I like working later. I am thrilled when I'm able to help someone who is stressed about their student loans find a solution that works for them...they are so grateful. It can be a stressful job, but for the most part it is rewarding.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, incentives, 120 hrs paid time off after 1 yr.
Cons
Building is a bit cold in the winter
Great team in payroll department.
Payroll and Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 17, 2016
Enjoyed working with department I was in. Easy to communicate and work together. Training was easy and it was never rushed to learn position.
Very friendly and fun environment
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WINovember 30, 2016
I loved working at Great Lakes. A typical day at work included sitting in my personal cubicle that I got to decorate with some picture of my family, fun games that the supervisors would come up with, and some of the best parts? --Treats and lunches provided by the company. I would go back to Great lakes in a heart beat. Management and co-workers would always be friendly and help you out if you had any questions whatsoever. The hardest part about the job is having to help a customer who didn't want to help themselves and would end up being very difficult on the phone. The most enjoyable part of it would be finding a solution with that difficult customer and knowing that you were the one to help them find a way through it.
Pros
Fun atmosphere and co-workers
Cons
I can't think of any
Productive place to work with great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 1, 2016
Mangers are very helpful and determined to get you ready for your position.Coaching is there if have any questions.

Co works are very friendly and supportive
Cons
Shift availability
Great company!
Loan Counselor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 4, 2016
This is by far the best company I've worked for. Unfortunately, the job itself is high stress and best for people who manage stress well and have great coping skills. A lot of the clients do not understand that they have a plethora of options available to them, and tend to not give the opportunity to offer those options. When they do, however, it feels great to know you've helped someone with their er loan. Management is wonderful and the CEO is hands on. Room for growth is always an option. Great company!
Pros
Good compensation, benefits, management, job growth opportunities, clean environment
Cons
Can be high stress
Be a Marine was the most rewarding job
Borrower Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 2, 2016
Be a marine was one of the toughest things I have ever done left home 18. I learned how to be an adult and live on my own. I met the best people by living in different states and overseas. The hardest part of my job was just to be away from family at home otherwise I loved it
Pros
Travel
Cons
Not seeing family
Great pay and understanding supervisors but co-workers are drama
Borrower services representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 12, 2016
Great lakes was a great place to work. Paid very high for the category of work. Supervisors always work with you to reach your metrics goals and are very involved. Company really tries to help out the community and participate in book fairs and blood drives. I loved that I had my own big cubicle which is unlike other call centers. Only thing I didn't like is how some agents would talk unprofessionally to borrowers and not get in trouble when we could hear then yelling at a borrower on the other side of the floor. Also a lot of drama and very clicky with co-workers. Everyone knows your business even if you are a loner. But overall nice place to work, friendly people for the most part and you get food catered in and have potlucks once in awhile.
Pros
Pay, cubicle size, community involvement.
Cons
Drama, unprofessional co-workers.
Great pay, horrible flexibility (shifts)
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIJuly 18, 2016
Point location: great environment, helpful coworkers, training seemed jammed packed in 3 weeks although it all came together after finishing. Flexibility for shifts is horrible and they don't care about family life. During interview they shouldn't express their flexibility especially when they don't offer it to ft employees
Pros
Bemefits, pay, security, environment, and training
Cons
Shifts
clean calm work place
Customer care agent 3 (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 13, 2016
inbound call center for student loans. great company to work for clean and secure all employees are friendly from hr to service reps its a nice relaxed work place
Pros
You can select your work schedule
Cons
Hard to use pto
Don't do it!
Outbound Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIApril 28, 2016
They are not a stand up company. I was a seasonal temp If you want to get yelled at by people when your trying to help them work here! When they terminated my contract i could not go on to the property and get my stuff or even ask for references. Very poor Work Practice Micro Management at its Finest!
Pros
There was no pros
Cons
Read above!
Okay
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 9, 2016
It was a good place to work. the management was changing too fast but the environment was goo. There was a lot of phone calls and customers were good.
Pros
free breaks
Cons
downtown area

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2