Great Plains Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Poor Management/Great peers
RN Staff (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKAugust 16, 2017
The drama is unreal. That says volumes about this place. When I made the decision to quit, I had a hard time leaving my peers because they are what made the job tolerable. Management does not care about their employees. When problems came up, they acted like they would try to fix them, but nothing ever came of it. Majority of employees are unhappy, but management does not listen to anyone's suggestions of how to make things better. The agenda is money, and nothing else matters. When you decide to leave they make it personal and try to badger you into staying, just like one of those salespeople in the mall trying to get you to try their skin care products. They may have cut hours, but then they expect you to work extra when they don't have enough staff. Nurse to patient ratios are unsafe, and acuity does not matter to them. They have had such a huge staff turnover, but they cannot determine the reason why. They might have come up with a 401K now, but they don't match. Employee insurance is a joke. Employees have not received a raise in years. Management makes everything personal instead of professional, and it makes it difficult to do your job well. There were far too many times when I left feeling like I did not do the best for my patients because I was too overwhelmed with charting, passing medications, and all of the other things that keep you away from the bedside.
Now I find out they have laid off multiple ancillary staff. How do you expect what little staff you have left to get their jobs done, when they could barely get it done before? The employees
  more... are unhappy are many are leaving in droves because they have no other option left.  less
Pros
Nursing, Aides, Clerks, Volunteers, Housekeeping, Lab, Xray, Doctors (except 1), Kitchen staff are great
Cons
Management is ruining this place, they take advantage of their employees
Great place to work.
Clinical Dietitian (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed my job at GPRMC which was mostly in the cancer center. The total care patients received at the cancer center was very good and would recommend people to go there for cancer treatment.
Excellent co-workers poor upper administration and pay scale.
RN-Charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Elk City, OKJuly 26, 2017
GPRMC is an excellent place to feel like part of a team as far as co-workers. Great learning environment for new nurses. The past four years, staff have not received any raises and hours have been cut. Of recent, employees have been laid off. When other departments are advertising for RN's with as much as $10,000 in sign on bonus. There is a 401k but it isn't matching. FTE pays for own insurance. Only benefit of working there is a cafeteria discount. It is sad because GPRMC has good staff and doctors, administration has run it into the ground.
Pros
cafeteria discount, family like atmosphere
Cons
poor pay scale, hours cut, no access to cafeteria after 6:00pm
not a fun place t work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKDecember 30, 2016
this place was one of the worst place i have worked i do recommend it t o anyone there where not understanding at all and they where not helpful and th pay sucked
Pros
one hr lunch
Cons
it was a bad place to work
Great enviroment
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKDecember 21, 2015
The coffee was excellent. the regular customers were always so friendly. The gift items were unique. the store was located in a historic building. The owners were friendly and understanding
Tough Job, Unrealistic Expectations
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKNovember 3, 2015
I very much enjoyed working at GPRMC, however, the management was tough to work with. They were unrealistic with their expectations, and uncaring when employees or their family became ill. Working for a physician's office, I became ill and was advised to stay home, however, I was then let go the following week because I had missed time during my probationary period. The probationary period is the first 6 months of employment, and they require that you miss ZERO time during that time for ANY reason. Even if you are ill and hospitalized, your performance is reviewed and you are considered in violation. I have never worked for another company that is that rigid in its expectations. I could see being upset at an employee or being unwilling to work with them if they were just taking days off for no reason, or if there weren't documented reasons for their missing days, but when a person has physician-documented reasons for why they've missed a day, I don't believe that should be held against them. I loved working with my patients though, and wouldn't trade having had the opportunity to become friends with my co-workers in the time I was there. Just watch your back and don't get sick if you do plan to work for them.
Pros
Getting to deal with patients, fun coworkers.
Cons
Unrealistic and uncaring managers
Wonderful management.
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Elk City, OKSeptember 30, 2015
Learned about Western Oklahoma life which is quite different than what I was used to. Overall a positive experience. Great Plains Regional is a wonderful hospital which has a great reputation.
Pros
Good manager.
Cons
Hard to get to know people....somewhat closed to outsiders.
great place to work
Transporter/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKApril 6, 2015
Fun work environment, great people to work with. Mainly transported patient to and from the Radiology Dept.. did some filing and answered phones
Struggling Organization
Clinical Care Leader - Charge Nurse 3West (Current Employee) –  North Platte, NEJune 14, 2014
I currently work the night shift on a med/surg unit. The night team is amazing and I love the people I work with. The problem is that there are few experienced nurses on our unit besides myself. Everyone has less than 5 years of experience and people are thrown into positions they aren't comfortable with. The computer system is difficult and because it is a smaller hospital there is a lot of "frequent flyer" syndrome. Management is not receptive and the night shift particularly get taxed beyond what is good for you. Because of the amazing teamwork we get through it but people don't stay here because they burn out very quickly. The patient care is excellent.
Pros
Great co-workers, educational opportunities, decent benefit package
Cons
completely new staff, understaffing, difficult management
Awesome Small town
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEFebruary 6, 2014
You feel part of something. Very wonderful place to work and a wonderful community to live in.

Want to know more about Great Plains Regional Medical Center?

Ask a question
Great little rural hospital
Medical Technologist III (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKNovember 19, 2013
patient specimen collection and testing all day.
rotation between departments.
great co-workers
hardest part of the job was seeing patients health deteriorate over the course of 16 years. In a small hospital you know most of the patients by name.
becoming a close family to your co-workers
Excellent small regional hospital
Director of Cardiopulmonary Services (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEOctober 7, 2013
Excellent co-workers
Superior Medical Staff
Very pleasant location for work and recreation
Productive and have learned many aspects of medical records to further my career
medical records clerk (Current Employee) –  Elk City, OKSeptember 4, 2013
Enjoyed doing the birth certificates. I was very busy during the day which made the day go so fast that you never had time to sit around and do nothing which would have driven me crazy as I enjoy working and like to stay busy.
Ok
Mammography Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEAugust 13, 2013
Good place to work for, family like atmosphere. Call is very hectic at times, they abuse the call system. Management is good. Co-workers were super.
Fun and Friendly Environment
RADIOLOGY TECH STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKJune 22, 2013
This Hospital is well staffed and equipped to assist with various tasks. The Radiology department is a top asset to the hospital, as well as outside physicians. Held to a professional manner.
Pros
Location, Size and Great Environment
Cons
N/a
good work place.
Laundry Worker (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKJanuary 18, 2013
I was only here at this job for a short time, I was put in hospital for over a week. when I got out I just did not have the strength to push the carts. My supervisor and I agreed that I would not come back, but that when I was better to call her. typical work day was pushing very heavy carts to the departments to keep the Er, Surgery and other areas stocked with linens. what I learned was how important each job was at the hospital for it to all come together, no job was considered beneath another one. co workers was good, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that what I done made a differnce.
Pros
good work place
Cons
really didnt think of any
?
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKDecember 10, 2012
supervisor director was very upset to to her mother bring ill and passing, and i didn't feel she was very understanding of new employee,
Pros
knew of people there
Cons
they didn't work with me or meet me half way. very confusing lab.
Productive fun job with a family environment.
Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elk City OkOctober 21, 2012
Almost everyday was busy at work. There was a good amount of team work. I learned about different diet's and what food each could not have. Management is pretty good they are good about answering any questions you might have. I loved most of my co-workers. They were good people to work with hard workers. Hardest part of the job was preparing for the next day. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in a good working environment.
Pros
free lunches, health benifets, raises
My day working in the ER
Patient Registrar (Current Employee) –  North Platte, NESeptember 23, 2012
We do reports and count the cash drawer each morning. As patients come in we get their personal and insurance information which we verify daily. Each of us has a job to do and we do it very well and we work well together. Hardest part is when the family of a patient that is dying comes in. There just any words to give them. The most enjoyable part is putting on an armband on a child and they don't fight you to put it on it. We have put stickers on them so that they are more approachable.
Pros
working the hours that you requested and getting the time off when needed.
Cons
not getting a lunch or break. we are not scheduled and sometimes we do not have the time.
very enjoyable place to work
Maintenance / Lawn Care Foreman (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKJune 26, 2012
an awsome place to work, good bosses and work conditions. good equipment and friendly people
Pros
good cafetria
Cons
extreme heat