Great Southern Bank

Great Southern Bank Employer Reviews

Great company to work for
Debit Card Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great company and benifits
Cons: not enough pay
I worked for GSB at the main branch in Springfield, Missouri for a little over a year. Good company to work for. Hugh break room and free tea and coffee. They also have a free gym open 24 hours. good benefits. I had a pretty good boss. GSB doesn't pay that well but it wasn't a bad job at all. I would work there again. I quit because I moved out of state.
Worst place ever to work!!!
ex employee (Former Employee), Springfield,MOMay 15, 2014
Cons: everything about great southern
This place has no care if you work 4 hours or if you work 60 hour work weeks. They expect work of 10 people out of 1 person with no acknowledgement. This was the worst place to work ever!!! The management, supervisor and co-workers where horrible. It was all high school. No work got done. Alot of drama and backstabbing.
My advice STAY AWAY!!!!!! THEY – more... DON'T PAY WHAT YOU ARE WORTH EITHER. Benefits are horrible along with anything. Plus, when you leave you don't get them either! – less
very productive yet fun work environment
Teller (Current Employee), Nevada, MOApril 11, 2014
Pros: flexible manger, will work wit school.
Cons: only part time.
I'm trying to earn my business degree so Great Southern Bank was a better opportunity for me.
Great work environment
Teller Supervisor (Current Employee), Creve CoeurFebruary 22, 2014
Great Southern Bank is a great place. It's a professional yet fun environment.
fantastic management
Teller I (Former Employee), Ottawa, KSFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: part time only
great environment with phenomenal manager
I learned a ton in a short time period
I was able to freely speak my opinion on changes and improvements in the building
never ending training knowledge
everyone i worked with was welcoming and helpful
Great Place always fair to employees
Personal Banker/ Teller (Former Employee), Centerville, MOFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: opportunites to advance, great support, easy to get along with, understanding about family as well
Cons: low pay
I loved working for Great southern I always felt like if I didn't know exactly what I was doing someone could walk me through it. I loved the opportunities to advance and that someone had my back.
Very rough work environment
MORTGAGE LOAN PROCESSOR (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJanuary 21, 2014
The bank is a good bank and I would rather not say anything else about the atmosphere in the mortgage department.
Family owned small town bank
Banking Center Manager (Current Employee), Edina, MNAugust 21, 2013
Pros: no micro-management
Cons: older clientele, working out kinks of a bank merger
Easy working environment, very small goals that can be easily achievable.
fast-paced banking teller position
Banking Teller (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJuly 11, 2013
Pros: accept full time and part time workers, benefits for full time workers
Cons: break times are short, work schedules are constantly shifting and adding or subtracting hours to your normal shift, weekend hours are required, higher security environment, minimum wage is typical
A typical day at work is providing normal banking customer service such as distributing banking forms, offering different accounts to customers based on their needs, accurately handling night drops, vault money, customer information, deposits and withdraws, and maintaining a secure environment for customers and co-workers. The management in 2007/2008 – more... was friendly and helpful. Most co-workers were also friendly and helpful, but there seemed to be a medium-high turnover rate. Most co-workers were college students. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a perfect track of your cashier box money through the day so you don't have to waste time at the end of your shift trying to figure out what you may have done wrong or why your numbers are off. – less
Great place to work with a great team
Lead Teller (Former Employee), Rogers, ARJuly 10, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Great Southern Bank. The management team was phenomenal. They are very flexible and work with you on the schedule. They treat you like a friend and really appreciate your hard work. There is so much to learn and everyday presents a new challenge.
Interesting, fun work, poor management
Teller (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJune 19, 2013
I did not enjoy working here. I did enjoy the line of work but the co-workers weren't accepting of new people. The manager didn't seem to care about her employees or anything for that matter. I learned what it takes to be a teller and everything that goes with it including banking laws. I found being a teller fun other than the work environment. I enjoyed – more... working with the people and making all of my transactions. I didn't enjoy how the co-workers treated one and other. – less
Not the best.
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, MOMay 9, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management
When previous leadership makes the comment that they could find tellers a dime a dozen it kind of says it all about the management.
Great management. Excellent job experience.
Teller (Former Employee), MissouriApril 4, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: not enough pay
Excellent place to gain knowledge in the financial industry. Management was outstanding, co-workers were honest, hardworking, and dependable. Overall best work experience yet.
Upper level management will stab you in the back!
Personal banker assistant (Former Employee), SpringfieldApril 3, 2013
Pros: great coworkers
The staff at my location were wonderful. I felt like I had a work family with them and my 2 managers were wonderful! I would have evaluated the company much higher before I had my baby. The only complaint I would've had is how difficult the internal departments make it for the retail banking employees to do their jobs and help customers. But when I – more... informed GSB that I was pregnant after working at the bank 2 1/2 months I was informed that my position would not be held for me because I didn't qualify for FMLA... I was missing it by 1 MONTH! I was told I could reapply afterwards, but when I did I was told I didn't qualify for the exact same position I had. I attempted to get unemployment since they terminated me at the birth of my child. It was denied and when I appealed their lawyer and head of HR lied and said I voluntarily quit and accused me of not wanting to work for them. So basically great place to work for mediocre pay unless you become pregnant or need medical leave. – less
Personal Banking Officer/Secondary Market (Former Employee), Paola, KSMarch 15, 2013
Pros: small enough bank to care
Cons: not everywhere in the state
Great employees, helpful staff
Always enjoyed going to work
Don't do it
Personal Banker (Former Employee), Joplin, MOFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: co workers, training
Cons: pay, advancement, management, compliance, time off.
During training, the videos tried to build up the new employees' pride by using insinuations of prestige for working at a bank.

Then, they pay you peanuts and hope that your pride will keep you there while they feed you untrue stories of the company caring about you; again, to keep you there.

The training was okay. I learned a lot from them actually. – more... But now that I work for the truly greatest bank, I realize how much work there is to be done at the GSB.

Therefore, don't do it. At least, don't do it yet. – less
Great People, Great Learning Experience
Teller (Current Employee), Springfield, moJanuary 28, 2013
People that I have met have been very opening, welcoming, and helpful to help with the any aspects of the job. It is truly a great place to work.
Under evaluated
Debit Card Services Clerk (Former Employee), Springfield, MOAugust 25, 2012
Pros: prorated vacation up to 2 weeks paid at hire, health insurance after 90 days, dental and vision insurance after 6 months
Cons: management and professionalism
A typical day at work would include the following:
Monitor fraud software and call customer's to verify transactions. Answer incoming calls from banking centers and customers. Process at least 20 point of sale disputes per day.

I learned the different type of disputes that the department was in charge of processing and how to identify each and process – more... each. Fraud Software, Federal regulations that govern debit cards and MasterCard rules and policies.

Management's professionalism was poor, as well as the way they treated their employees.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer's who had experienced fraud on their debit card continuously.

The most enjoyable part of this job would have to be those you work with. They were a bunch of fun! – less
okay
Teller (Current Employee), O'Fallon, MOAugust 20, 2012
Great Southern is a great company to work for but I have been unfortunate to have poor, inexperienced management. The other managers that I have come across a great. My regional managers congratulate you on success and help come up with ways to help you in areas that you lack.
Poor pay without chance of advancement
Bilingual Teller (Former Employee), Springfield, MOAugust 16, 2012
Cons: poor pay, long hours, rude customers, unreasonable bosses, 20 min lunch breaks for full-time associates
With poor pay, job expectations were too high. I was promised career advancement within the company but was never given the opportunity to prove myself at the next level. Over-qualified, internal applicants were continuosly denied to advance.

About Great Southern Bank

Despite its name, Great Southern Bancorp is firmly entrenched in the heartland. It is the holding company for Great Southern Bank, – Read more