Great Southern Bank Employee Reviews

Poor Management/Poor Pay/Bad Atmosphere
Loan Servicing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 19, 2016
The management will not take any responsibility for the low morale/high turnover. They are not interested in making any of the daily operations better. The pay is very low and you are expected to do the work at 5 people at all times. No diversity at all. The atmosphere is very stale. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
2 Weeks Vacation, Sick Time
Cons
Poor management, poor compensation, lack of structure/training/diversity
I got alot of respect from the customers, because the knew I could help them with what ever needs they had.I did enjoy working there. .
TELLER II (Former Employee) –  Miller, MOJune 21, 2016
A typical day for me is meeting the needs of others. What I have learned over the years is that there is an answer for any question. If I can not provide it I will find someone who can give us an answer .I have always been able to work well with my co-workers. Then can be issues from time to time, but I try & work it out. The most enjoyable part of the jobs that I've had where the customers. Getting to know them & getting their trust built up in me.
Pros
We did get free lunches sometimes from our regional manager
Cons
Not enough staff & the fact that they gaves us short notice of closing our branch & many others
Good entry level job.
Deposit Services Lead (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 22, 2016
I would recommend this job to anyone who is trying to establish a good work history. You will learn many desirable skills by working at a bank. There are opportunities for advancement, however compensation is lacking.
Pros
Set schedule, benefits, banking perks
Cons
compensation
Friendly people to work with
Teller (Former Employee) –  Paola, KSNovember 30, 2016
My overall experinece with Great Southern Bank was great. Friendly staff and a decently high paced job, so you never really got bored or ran out of things to do.
Overall in incredible job
Teller (Current Employee) –  Ozark, MOSeptember 6, 2016
A job that has helped me further my job experience and helped me with awesome opportunities.I love the people that I work with. Friendly and encouraging atmosphere.
Morivated and results orientated. Excellent salesmanshio skills.
Senior VP & Commercial Lender (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg MSMarch 2, 2016
I have been in the Hattiesburg area for approximately 20 years in the commercial banking arena and have successfully cultivated both business and personal relationships to facilitate the sale of financial products and services.
After 34 years in the banking field, I decided to make a change to another financial services area on which I could build on my banking background. To that end, I have studied and passed the state Property/Casualty Exam. I believe the strategies used for fostering and preserving banking relationships can overlap within the broader insurance industry. It is with that experience and determination that I believe I possess the skill level to be a strong candidate within the insurance field.
Pros
Teamwork builds the right business environment
Productive and fun work place
Part Time Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJanuary 12, 2016
Working for Great Southern Bank has been a great experience. The working environment is great and the management is wonderful. All of the coworkers work well together to do the tasks properly. The hardest part of the job is hours. There just isn't enough to go around for me to be able to stay. The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers. They are super friendly and make my job easy.
Pros
great management, paid incentives
Cons
lack of full time positions and benefits
good work experience
Sr. Loan Processor II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 20, 2016
you will be given a heavy workload, and if you're ambitious you will be given multiple extra tasks even as far as second jobs without compensation. No opportunity for advancement exists.
Pros
i appreciate my supervisors
Cons
underpaid and overworked, no opportunity for advancement
Enjoy workplace
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 20, 2016
I always like going to work for Great Southern Bank. They do have good benefits and programs. The work day usually goes fairly smooth and there is not much micro-management.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Bad work environment, bad customer service, short staff of employees
Customer service/teller (Current Employee) –  Davenport IAOctober 13, 2015
This bank bought out Valley Bank without no notice. Always short staff. Many days no lunches, bad customer service. When Valley Bank was bought out we lost many members, because of the bad customer service, and short staff of tellers. Push in with cross selling to members that was not interested. Management was not around much and hard to talk to you. I would not recommend this bank as a customer or employee.
Pros
Cons
Short staff, bad customer service
Productive workplace. Incredibly laid back in most areas.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MissouriOctober 16, 2015
Most of my day was data entry and reconciling accounts. If I ever had difficulty with an account, the leaders were always helpful and available. There were a lot of pot luck days and company wide contests. It was an incredibly enjoyable atmosphere.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low pay
Good place to work with great management
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 16, 2015
My Time at Great Southern Bank was enjoyable. It was a busy pace, but we had exceptional management to help with anything needed. I thought the policies and rules were fitting for the most part.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Better Pay
Typical Teller Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 11, 2015
Nothing special about the company overall. Great job to get me through college.Flexible with college schedule and very understanding when I left to go on to bigger and better things.
Terrible Management, Amazing Customers
Teller (Current Employee) –  MissouriMarch 25, 2015
This bank is great with working for you good about benefits and vacation. Pay is fairly low; considering other banks in the area. Management is heartless. They do not care about you; they care about your ability to bring customers and money into the bank. If you want a comfortable atmosphere with your boss this is not the place. If you stand up for following the rules, they will shut you down. Make you feel like you are a liar, trouble maker or incompetent. It is unfortunate that they have such amazing customers who choose to bank there; they offer great rates and services. If you don't mind being belittled and shafted by the management then this is the job for you.
Computer Work
CIF TEMP (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 22, 2015
Worked for data entry and verified accounts, great atmosphere, wonderful management team, sit at computer going through accounts making sure accounts grouped correctly
everyday life at work
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 29, 2015
calling customers about our products and services
helped co-workers on the teller line
I learned how to take on a manger role on a daily basis
Pros
solving customers problems
Typical Day
Teller (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 1, 2015
Working as a bank teller has it's slow periods and it has it busy periods, just like any place of employment. You get to meet a lot of different people.
I was laid off in July, but, was allowed to work until October w/Severance package
Secondary Market Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clive, IowaNovember 3, 2014
Not sure about the management at Great Southern Bank since they were located in Springfield, MO and they came to Clive to visit our branch maybe once or twice a month.
My co-workers were the best people you could work with, they were hired on with Great Southern Bank after they purchased Valley Bank.
I have worked in my job for 9 years so I really was quite comfortable in the position.
Pros
Co-works, working with the different Investors
Cons
Being laid off, because of the sale
Worst place ever to work!!!
ex employee (Former Employee) –  Springfield,MOMay 15, 2014
This place has no care if you work 4 hours or if you work 60 hour work weeks. They expect work of 10 people out of 1 person with no acknowledgement. This was the worst place to work ever!!! The management, supervisor and co-workers where horrible. It was all high school. No work got done. Alot of drama and backstabbing.
My advice STAY AWAY!!!!!! THEY DON'T PAY WHAT YOU ARE WORTH EITHER. Benefits are horrible along with anything. Plus, when you leave you don't get them either!
Cons
EVERYTHING ABOUT GREAT SOUTHERN
Don't do it
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 24, 2013
During training, the videos tried to build up the new employees' pride by using insinuations of prestige for working at a bank.

Then, they pay you peanuts and hope that your pride will keep you there while they feed you untrue stories of the company caring about you; again, to keep you there.

The training was okay. I learned a lot from them actually. But now that I work for the truly greatest bank, I realize how much work there is to be done at the GSB.

Therefore, don't do it. At least, don't do it yet.
Pros
co workers, training
Cons
pay, advancement, management, compliance, time off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Southern Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9