Great Southern Bank Employee Reviews

poor management and lots of stress
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Ozark, MOOctober 6, 2017
Schedules were made in three week increments; however the new schedule was never available until the last working day of the present schedule.
hours ran from 7 am to 7 pm mon thru fri. and 6:45 to 2pm on Sat.
There was no set schedule: they just put you in open here then close, then open etc.
someone would constantly quit so there was always some one in training.
Cons
there were no breaks or lunch times even with a 7 or 8 hour shift
It can be a great job, or your worst nightmare
Accounting Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 5, 2017
Lack of communication between departments and minimal training. Hard to create a masterpiece when the left hand doesn't l ow what the right hand is doing. It is whatever you make it, attitude reflects your sucess.
Pros
Benefits from day 1
Cons
Low pay and tiny annual raises
Working with Customers
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MOSeptember 21, 2017
This job works on basic pay with bonus if you meet your bucket list incentives. High pressure to meet goals. You as a banking center manager you are expected to over see the daily operations along with great customer support. Opening and closing account taking Loan application along with selling annuities. Calling on existing customers along with making cold calls to prospects.
Benefits
Cons
you may work with a skelton crew and every Saturday
good place for experience
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 11, 2017
Gained valuable experience. Worked my way to a loan officer within 3 years. Low pay but benefits and time off was sufficient. People were nice to work with and for
Excellent company to work for
Deposit Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 4, 2017
This was an excellent company to work for. From paid vacation to benefits, management to hours, everything about this company is great. If you want a relaxed job with great pay and benefits, choose Great Southern Bank!
GS review
Teller (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAAugust 20, 2017
None of the employees get paid fairly, and we're constantly told to take on extra responsibilities without getting compensated at all from them. Okay management, but upper management can be hard to deal with and is usually close minded to suggestions.
Competitve workplace
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAAugust 15, 2017
Great people to work with. Competitive but also able to work as a team between branches. Always looking out for the best interest of the customer. Management is very understanding of family obligations.
Cons
Poor raises
Fun, interactive job.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAAugust 11, 2017
I was one of the closing tellers, so I worked the last 3-4 hours of the business day and closed the branch and secured the branch once the bank was closed. I liked the co-workers and my direct manager, very friendly, trained well and helped us succeed. The hours just ended up not working for my family and I.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, IAJuly 18, 2017
Great place to start off your working career, many different job fields to advance to. Offers training classes to help knowledge in banking. Friendly environment.
Loved Great Southern
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 13, 2017
Great Southern Bank was a great place to work. They believe in taking care of their customers and associates. I would still be there if my husband's job did not require us to move away.
Slow paced
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MN 55369July 5, 2017
Everything I did at Great Southern bank had to be done very slowly as there was not much to do at the bank. I volunteered myself to business to business offering our products and that was against the rules. On a good day I would work a 6 hour day and see 4 people.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not much to do, not much interaction and no room to grow.
relaxed
Loan Servicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 4, 2017
get your work done correctly and you will not have any issues. Good hours but pay could be a little more. Good management and overall a good place to work.
Pros
hours
Cons
pay
Teller
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJune 18, 2017
Collected and sent information to our data center/back office, print debit cards, open accounts, answer phone calls, interacted with customers and helped them with any questions or concerns,, teller jobs (deposits, withdrawals, transfers)
Pros
Hour lunches, friendly team, knew customers on a personal level
Cons
Short team, had longer hours then what i was getting paid for
Balanced, supportive management, and team members.
Finance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 16, 2017
Great Southern provides fun activities for your employees, nice benefits, a great support management system for their employees, and they allow down time for employees to talk to each other. It makes for a nice balanced healthy environment.
Enjoyable place to work
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Parsons, KSJune 5, 2017
I learned how to be professional in this position. I worked one on one with the public and first hand with money. I enjoyed my coworkers. Management was not the best but it was not awful. The hardest part of the job was trying to please everyone when that was not always possible. I truly enjoyed working with the money. It was the one thing that I understood and felt comfortable with. I enjoyed getting to know our customers on a personal level as well.
Pros
Getting to work with the public
Cons
Not being able to please everyone
Meeting new people and getting to know the regular customers.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Ozark, MOMay 19, 2017
A typical day of work would be to answer phone calls concerning different customers accounts. Running the drive through and making sure the customer taken care of in a positive, respectful and timely manner.
Great work family, but low pay and little opportunity for advancement
CIF Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MO 65802March 27, 2017
This job was great for me, especially after dealing with rude management at my previous job. After a year the low pay really got to me and management absolutely refused to give me more than their ridiculously low 2% maximum raise (12 - 13 cents per year in my case), even after my supervisor said I was amazing at both 90 day and yearly review.
Pros
Rare free lunches, free coffee, water fountain
Cons
low pay, little opportunity for advancement, small raise
Low pay in comparision to other banks.
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMarch 19, 2017
You deal with the public and money so it can be stressful at times. The pay isn't very good in comparison to what you have to deal with. As long as you have a good team then you can turn this job into a career. They offer good benefits this would be a good job for someone with a family. You don't work holidays. You will have to work Saturday mornings and attend banking center meetings in the evening.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Stressful, low pay
Small Bank - Good starting piont
Teller - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Camdenton, MOMarch 12, 2017
My time with Great Southern Bank was just about a year as a teller. With it being a small bank there are less advancement opportunities. There is not a high rate of turn over.
Pros
Offsite training for a porton of training
Productive environment
VAULT TELLER (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMarch 7, 2017
A typical day at work includes processing transactions such as deposits and withdrawals. I've learned so much about banking. The hardest part of the job is selling the products.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Southern Bank. Our community is ready to answer.