Great West Employee Reviews in United States

Low End Annuity Provider
External Wholesaler (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 8, 2016
Having come from a top tier annuity firm, Great-West is the complete opposite.

Mediocracy is promoted and the culture is one with nearly no accountability.

Average products with average back-office support. This is a great place to work if you are ok with low end commission and constantly changing products, management, and company focus.

Good vacation and nice people for the most part, but otherwise, not a place to go if you are motivated and looking for a hard working team supporting you.
Great place!
Claims Examiner II of VIP Accounts (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 15, 2016
I have nothing more to say about this place. It was a great experience, management was amazing and the hours along with the staff, all great!

I was sad to have been laid off, I wouldn't have ever left. :)
Pros
All of it!
Cons
Being laid off
Same as Empowerment institutional
Senior Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJune 21, 2016
Great benefits, management on some teams. Co-workers work as a team. QA on other team members plans. I enjoy the rest of my job.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay and our internal work going to India
Great flexibility
Life Underwriter - Remote (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2016
Great job, lots of flexibility during the work day to get your job done and to also attend to life affairs as they occur. Systems are detailed and can sometimes put you behind on work.
Calls Calls and more Calls
Junior Retirement Representative (Current Employee) –  DenverDecember 2, 2014
Typical call center job. Benefits are minimal. Retirement program is lacking for a financial firm. Managers seem to be just as lost on what is coming down the pipe as the new hires are. Everyone is nice but no one seems to know what tomorrow brings or what our goals should be. The type of people that are calling in daily about their accounts treat most of us like door mats. Job security is good because so many people quit.
Pros
job security
Cons
pay, breaks, work life balance.
Great coworkers, easy place to get work done.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COApril 1, 2016
Very quiet and extremely supportive environment. All co-workers were very helpful and motivating. Good place to come in, do your work,and go home stress free.
Although Great-West Financial Services was a good place to work, the job was very stressful and demanding.
Retirement Plan Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, WIApril 18, 2013
A typical day at Great-West consisted of assisting employers, participants and Third Party Administrators with questions and problems regarding thier retirement plan. Assisting employers, participants and Third Party Administrators navigating the Great-West Financial Services website. Assisting Account Managers with thier block of retirement plan business. Updating retirement plan contacts, information and investments. I learned alot about the retirement plan industry. I enjoyed working with my co-workers, they where very knowledgeable and outgoing. The hardest part of the job was the stress and the demands. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people with the questions they had about thier retirement plan.
Pros
good benefits and great salary.
Cons
job very stressful and demanding.
Great flexible hour schedule
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 27, 2013
A typical day- first 6 months was 1/2 day of training
Management-was probably the best management I've seen so far in my work history. All Management is required to go through an approval process to lead.
Hardest part of the job-More work than the 7 hour work day and no paid overtime.
Most enjoyable part- Ice cream was delivered to our desks on a cart 1 day every month.
Benefits-were excellent except for the salary.
Productive job
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Fort Scott, KSSeptember 6, 2014
The day consisted of receiving medical bills, processing data, printing, filing, and making/taking phone calls.

I learned a lot about the processes of insurance, the associations between a diagnosis and treatment options, what had to be held for further review, and what was actually within my limits to pay.

I had 6 bosses. The company was broken into tiers and smaller and smaller groups. This made answering to one person very difficult because I would have to weigh what my immediate supervisor wanted me to do against what her supervisor expected from her, up the chain.

Co-workers were very easy to get along with. We all mutually understood the difficulty of the position, and consistently used a team effort to solve problems we wouldn't have been immediately able to do on our own, generally without having to consult a manager.

The hardest part of this job was watching for fine details. A single missed detail could cost the company, which is not a good thing for a for-profit business. Deadlines were stringent and difficult too, but something I took pride in meeting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the endless opportunity to move up in the company. I made consistently great reviews, earned quarterly bonuses as they were offered, and made the bi-annual raises every 6 months. Being rewarded brought great pleasure to exceeding expectations.
Pros
rewards, benefits, pay
Cons
short breaks, loads of management
BAD place to work; managers are manipulative
Software engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village ColoradoApril 28, 2012
Stay away from this company! It is "old school" and years ago may have been a great, respectable place to work. Not now. They are behind the times, very antiquated processes, inefficient, manipulative managers (especially the HR department). They can't keep good people and there is a reason for that!
Pros
great benefits, but you will be laid off after 2 years
Cons
don't know what the heck they're doing, many duplicated processes and inefficiencies
This job rocked! Would still be there if Charleston office was open.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCSeptember 17, 2012
Could clock in from 5am to 9am. Usually as early as I could. I learned is sounds better if you say it with a smile. I loved customer service and helping clients better understand their benefits. As long as they were smiling or better understood what was going on with their issue by time I was done with them, I felt I did a good job and earned my money.
Pros
good benefits, great atmosphere
Been here 6 years - great experience
Sr Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJune 29, 2012
I've worked at Great-West for six years. It's not the flashiest employer but it's steady work. Great-West provides great services in the markets they operate in. Some areas have long hours. Good company size - not too small but not so large that you're just a number. Good onsite cafeteria at home office. Opportunity for advancement if you're a strong performer. Not a place to fast track your career though.
Pros
location, covered parking, cafeteria, strong management.
Cons
conservative culture. no fast track for advancement.
Great, secure work environment.
ACCOUNT RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COApril 12, 2013
Great West Life was a fantastic company to work for. It had great pay, great benefits, and job security which is hard to come by. My duties changed from day to day which I really enjoyed. I was challened each day by being faced with new problems,
Good work conditions, very ethical company with good benefits
Business Systems Analyst - Special Project (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COSeptember 18, 2012
Provides a very clean safe work environment.Flexibility with hours of work. Had close relationships with co-workers. Worked under minimum supervision. Annual reviews of my work were excellent.
Pros
flexible hours, covered parking, good benefits
Cons
very difficult to advance
Great company with great values and service model
Institutional Plan Services Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 9, 2012
I love working here. There is job security and many opportunities to grow within.
Pros
job security
Cons
benefits could improve
Flexible work schedule and top notch co-workers
Retirement Plan Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 11, 2015
Great West is now known as Empower Retirement for record keeping purposes. Fast growing company; work environment is fluid.
Busy Job
Customer Service and Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 27, 2014
Dr. offices and hospitals and other facilities will call for medical benefits and I would quote the benefits and also notate the account of what I relayed to the customer on the line.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service and Training (Former Employee) –  Fort Scott, KSAugust 28, 2015
Answered phone calls in a call center and adjusted claims. Being in a call center there was not much else I did beside phone coverage.
Pros
Set hours
Cons
working over night
Financial Institution out for itsself
Benefits Administrator - Education Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 11, 2014
This was an interesting experience. Management was out for themselves there was no employer/employee loyalty and the upper management would throw you under the bus to protect their jobs. HR would always be on the side of the management even if there was no proof an employee did anything wrong.
Pros
you can have a job until they're done using you
Cons
no back up support for their employees, customers could make up stories and managers could do the same, no proof needed and you were then nothing.
I have been with Great-West Financial for 22 years.
Senior Software Tester and Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJanuary 11, 2013
Good company. Ready to move on. I have worked at Great-West for over 20 years. They have treated me well. I am ready to move on.

QA - test plans, testing, defect tracking
BA - Requirements gathering in a complicated system

Management could use training.

Dealing with uninformed Leads

Dealing with the user area to for requirements and UAT Testing.
Pros
stable company with options for advancement
Cons
team leads need management training