Great Western Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Run.....Don't walk!
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln/Omaha NeMay 14, 2016
When interviewing with this place they know what to say to get you in the door and will tell you they will provide training to get you to the next level. The minute you walk into those doors all promises turn into lies. They sit you at your desk and expect you to be on auto pilot without even giving you the proper tools to log-in into your systems. Also, the H&R department is worthless, it has no true insight into how each position works. As for the leadership department well if your not in their click then don't except any help from them or even a hello. If your not in th click they will leave you out to dry no matter how much effort you put into your work. Plus watch everything you say or do around them because it can/well end up being your fault. Don't think you will get recognized for the improvements or accomplishments you have done/completed because there is always some key area that you need to improve on. You won't get the training or mentoring you need to get over that hurdle, all that is provide is a very vague description of what you need to work on. The only few good things about this place are: work/home life, health insurance isn't to bad and you get a ton of vacation which you will need to relax from a highly negative environment.
Pros
Vacation, insurance, and work/home life
Cons
Negative environment, no training or mentoring, very high school mentality
Terrible Management
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 11, 2016
Not a good place to work! No training or coaching yet you are expected to just "know" what to do. Management also has very poor ethics! Would never recommend to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Little pay, lots of stress
Great Environment
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 22, 2016
This is a great place to work. It is mid-sized bank but functions like a small-sized bank. This company is filled with great people who are helpful and aid others in their vocational success.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Slow-paced
poor upper management and employee longevity
manager (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJanuary 11, 2016
The only training given is online classes to be completed on your own time. They expect you to be ready to service customers and manage branches day one without any knowledge of their products, programs, compliance or web page. They hire; promising everything but producing false hope in the end! Be prepared to have a new job in the works as they will boot you out in a rude and unexplained way before you've even begun, without any consideration of the perusing and enticing you to relocate and waiting for you they did for 3 months. I recommend heeding to a commit I read that said:"don't walk but RUN AWAY from an opportunity with this bank". I regret ignoring this before I accepted a position with Great Western Bank, relocating and uprooting my life for promises that were ripped away faster than it took me to get there. Expect no support from upper management, the help desk or HR from this company! There is neglect in compliance,confidentiality and employee retention. My recommendation is to not expose yourself to such an unappreciated employer who will set you up to fail.
Pros
Benefits if you are able to stay long enough to appreciate them
Cons
neglect in management, training, compliance, confidentiality and employee retention
Great Western Bank gave me the opportunity to work for them with no banking experience.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 10, 2015
This bank was an awesome experience, I really enjoyed working for the company. They had patients when training me and I learned so much from my management team. I engaged in conversations with customers about their banking needs. I fulfilled daily, weekly and monthly sales targets and referral goals. I handled money accurately and was recognized as one of their hardest fast pace workers. My manager wrote me a letter of recommendation that I still have all of these years later.
Pros
They coached and developed me to be successful. I enjoy working with the public and data entry.
Cons
It's hard to say anything, because I really enjoyed working there.
No, no and no
Operations (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 1, 2015
Absolutely no training and no support from management. Not a comfortable working environment. Unfair compensation......
Pros
Free soda
Cons
no training, poor management
Teller
Teller (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSAugust 23, 2015
Horrible management. Always understaffed and extra work put on to the Tellers and Bankers. For example, building maintenance. Sales goals are pretty reasonable but very low incentive. There is always some sort of drama going on between the two branches in Kansas. No proper teller training is ever given to you. Extremly high turnover between Tellers and Bankers. Will most likely hire people without experience to pay them the lowest possible and "train" them on things that are not Tellers responsibilities.
Pros
Great hours, Vacation Time, Small branch
Cons
Understaffed, Horrible Managers, Drama
Great work enviornment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAAugust 20, 2015
Working as a teller at Great Western Bank I computed figures with speed and accuracy, maintained accuracy of customer accounts, provided excellent public relations with customers and managed accountability of transactions including the control and supervision of large amounts of cash flow. The co-workers in this company are very fun to work with. Everyone helps each other when needed.
Benefits
Good job, bad supervisor
Phone Banker (Former Employee) –  omaha, neAugust 7, 2015
Lack of fun friendly work environment due to management creating "cliques" that makes for a very uncomfortable work place. Tons of favoritism in the office. When searching for guidance there is none given unless you are one of the "favorites"
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 4, 2015
Great Western Bank was a great place to work when I first started there. However, things changed when they were no longer a locally owned bank. There were layoffs once a large corporation acquired them, I was told there would be job security when I first hired on. But as I noted above that all changed once they were acquired by the large corporation.
Difficult environment to work in
Teller (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJuly 24, 2015
This place often requires tellers to gain referrals, getting customers to sign up for services they do not have. When they are short on the branch goal they begin to try and trick customers into signing up for a service by telling them they need updated email and such in order to sign them up for a service and get a referral. They see no problem with lying to a customer to gain a referral instead of getting them to understand the service they would be receiving and how it could benefit them and then getting them to agree to the service.
Productive place
Bilingual Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 7, 2015
This is a place you can work if you want to grow with the company. It is an okay place to work. We were always under staff. We always struggled with more help since we were a busy branch
Pros
Free rooms
Cons
Short breaks low pay
Descent Compesnsation not much else
Personal Banking Rep (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEMay 11, 2015
Overall Upper managment is very unwilling to ork with you when it comes to your schedule because of the fact that they are always short people. the work envirment itself is not stressful but if you need some time off for school or vactions you better ask about a year in advance.
Small town agricultural bank
Teller (Former Employee) –  Coolidge, AZMay 9, 2015
I loved working for GWB. Everyone I have come in contact with is friendly and knowledgeable. Competitive products and services. I love the small town feel.
Good company
Teller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 26, 2015
Enjoyed the atmosphere, vacation was better than most companies. Thought the health insurance rates were high. Good people in the company, sometimes I hated the higher ups but thats common at all companies. They like to promote within so if you are good at your job and sales you can go places.
Pros
vacation
Cons
6 day work weeks
Great place to work.
Real Estate Loan Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 31, 2015
I liked working here. Great people and fun working environment. Overall, management was good and listened to your concerns.
A Bank No more
Loan Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 27, 2015
Great Western, like many Savings and Loans did not survive. I worked for them when the industry still solvent. Great Western was once a good place to work but they're gone
Pros
People
Cons
They're gone
Bank is no longer in business
Vice President, Senior Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAMarch 20, 2015
Great Western Bank was a great place to work. The Bank had a campus in Chatsworth that brought employees together and created a great work environment.
productive place
Customer support and sales associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 5, 2015
Fulfilling the duties as per the rules and guideline of the banking institution,learned time management , working according to the needs of the customers. the co-workers were helpful ,cooperative and educational at times of need.
helping customers according to there need and getting thank you in returned made me feel work done well on my part.
Would NOT recommend!!
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Maricopa, AZFebruary 15, 2015
All I can say is....you'd be better off unemployed! There is NO training and ABSOLUTELY ZERO support from management (at least at this office). If you like jobs where you are set up for failure rather than success then this is the job for you. These people expect you to be born knowing the position and you are thrown in on day 1 answering the phones. Management needs to get a clue how to work with people and learn how to manage!! Low end tellers are allowed to basically run the branch and management allows it! Very clicky branch and not welcoming of new people. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea....RUN!! Remember, I have nothing to gain from writing this review....I'm only hoping it might help someone make a better decision for their career.
Pros
nothing!
Cons
everything!