Great Western Bank Employee Reviews

Located in Tampa Florida
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 19, 2017
It was a great opportunity to learn from attorneys that dealt with banking rules and regulations. I also learned about consumer finance business and the Federal Register, and how it all comes together and definitely how it affects the economy. Was able to work with the Board and credit insurance in 23 different states
Pros
Friendly environment very encouraging and supportive group
Great place
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Corydon, IAApril 17, 2017
I started as a bank teller and got promoted to personal banker. The break room is quiet and relaxing. Sometimes they provide company breakfasts, lunches or snacks
job description
Post Closing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 12, 2017
I was a post closing for Great Western Bank. I also sent the collateral packages to corporate. These packages are the original notes. Great Western Bank was taken over by Washington Mutual Bank. I stayed until the merger was completed
Ridiculous bank that only cares about money
Banker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 6, 2017
Having worked there I now I realize why customers always called in complaining. This bank not only charges people ridiculous amounts of fees but also employees who terminate for a very valid reason and are not even properly explained how much is too much PTO before you are charged for it. This bank does not care about its employees or customers, strictly money. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody unless desperate. It is absolutely ridiculous. And Amber in P&C is ridiculous as well with her no care attitude. Pathetic .
good to work for, good people
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Princeton, MOMarch 15, 2017
Flexible work hours, supplies are ordered on time, good people, consistent work effects. time management. good staff to work for. consistently display integrity.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no cons
High Turnover
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 23, 2017
High turnover throughout company. Outdated software. Old buildings.
Management no flexible if you need off for children. No employees longer than maybe 6 years.
review
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 19, 2017
its very laid back but fast passed customer service
the most enjoyable part is the customers
my boss is amazing and easy to work for
Pros
vacation time, fun enviornment
Cons
work 45 min from home
Fantastic team of people focused on growing family owned bank.
Vice President Business Banking (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 15, 2016
Ultimately the growth lead to being acquired by bank in Australia and most of my team at the time that has moved on to other banking institutions. We had a great experience and really enjoyed working together with significant loan portfolio growth.
Pros
Significant loan portfolio growth during the real estate boom.
Cons
Success lead to being a target for acquisition.
lots of variety
Part-Time Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Clive, IADecember 13, 2016
this was a fund and good place to work. I learned a lot regarding how to balance money, debits and credits and how to handle customers of all kind
Outgoing, A place people enjoy to get up and go to work!
Teller (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, IANovember 18, 2016
I unfortunately was cut short in the amazing experience I had received due to pregnancy and minor complications didn't allow me to do my job towards the very end.
Pros
Involved in the community with a ton of volunteer opportunities
Cons
Short staffed
Decent place to work if you are already familiar with the banking industry
Teller (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 10, 2016
There isn't much opportunity for growth at this employer, and the training is lacking. However, the PTO (120 hours provided within 90 days) and benefits were nice.
Pros
PTO
Cons
Little to no training.
Enjoyed the customers
Part-time Teller (Former Employee) –  Chariton, IAOctober 10, 2016
Enjoyed the customers. Really enjoyed working in the Russell branch. Some of the employees made it feel like home. Others not so much.
Striving to improve but full of bureauocracy
Underwriter II (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 4, 2016
Typical bank work environment with lots of politics. Mortgage department not a high priority for the bank as a whole so can be difficult to entice change from upper management. Enjoy my back-office co-workers immensely and immediate management is easy going, encouraging and supportive. Typical executives who lack drive to make changes with positive impact - bottom line seems to be more important to them than anything; no surprise and no different than any medium to large size bank. Benefit costs are probably higher than most because of self-funded insurance but extensive network for healthcare and good benefits overall; just not as cheap as you might find elsewhere. More positives than negatives on a regular day and you won't find a better support staff to work with.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Typical bureaucratic management
Great learning experience
Consumer Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 17, 2016
I would close out loans that were paid off, sent out titles to courthouse to be released, file, scan, copy, answer phones. I learned that I lived working with loans and management was good. My co-workers were very helpful when I needed some help. The hardest part was keeping busy in my departmenrt and what I enjoyed most was the people.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Healthcare
Banking- sole provider for your clients
Teller-Operations Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 16, 2016
• Assist in processing property taxes
• Process title transfers on all vehicles under state law requirements
• Assist with the process off review of plats
• Serve as the main point of contact for customers with any questions they may have regarding vehicle registration and property tax information
• Performs outstanding customer service
Pros
I'm a people person so this job was great!
Cons
Pay wasn't great, nor was there much room for advancement.
Not Worth The Stress
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDAugust 2, 2016
They say they want to build customer relations but they're all about wanting to make a sale.Advancement opportunities only if you're well-liked by upper management, not an overall hard worker. Just not worth it.
Pros
good health and time off
Cons
401k only match to 2.5%
terrible work culture
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 22, 2016
Worked for the bank for over 11 years. Very satisfied until the past 2 years when the extreme sales culture started with no training but very high and unrealistic expectations. Would never work for this company. Pay is ok and benefits are very average. Paid time off is generous. Great Western Bank operates like a McDonald's with very short staff and high pace but with a zero tolerance of any mistakes. Very high stress and turnover. Absolutely no job security.
Pros
office work environment
Cons
no tolerance for mistakes, no training, on your own, culture pits employees against each other to keep their job, reach goals at any cost
Run.....Don't walk!
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln/Omaha NeMay 14, 2016
When interviewing with this place they know what to say to get you in the door and will tell you they will provide training to get you to the next level. The minute you walk into those doors all promises turn into lies. They sit you at your desk and expect you to be on auto pilot without even giving you the proper tools to log-in into your systems. Also, the H&R department is worthless, it has no true insight into how each position works. As for the leadership department well if your not in their click then don't except any help from them or even a hello. If your not in th click they will leave you out to dry no matter how much effort you put into your work. Plus watch everything you say or do around them because it can/well end up being your fault. Don't think you will get recognized for the improvements or accomplishments you have done/completed because there is always some key area that you need to improve on. You won't get the training or mentoring you need to get over that hurdle, all that is provide is a very vague description of what you need to work on. The only few good things about this place are: work/home life, health insurance isn't to bad and you get a ton of vacation which you will need to relax from a highly negative environment.
Pros
Vacation, insurance, and work/home life
Cons
Negative environment, no training or mentoring, very high school mentality
Terrible Management
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 11, 2016
Not a good place to work! No training or coaching yet you are expected to just "know" what to do. Management also has very poor ethics! Would never recommend to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Little pay, lots of stress
Great Environment
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 22, 2016
This is a great place to work. It is mid-sized bank but functions like a small-sized bank. This company is filled with great people who are helpful and aid others in their vocational success.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Slow-paced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Western Bank. Our community is ready to answer.