Great Western Bank Employee Reviews

Productive place
Bilingual Bank Teller (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Free rooms
Cons: Short breaks low pay
This is a place you can work if you want to grow with the company. It is an okay place to work. We were always under staff. We always struggled with more help since we were a busy branch
Descent Compesnsation not much else
Personal Banking Rep (Current Employee), Papillion, NEMay 11, 2015
Overall Upper managment is very unwilling to ork with you when it comes to your schedule because of the fact that they are always short people. the work envirment itself is not stressful but if you need some time off for school or vactions you better ask about a year in advance.
Small town agricultural bank
Teller (Former Employee), Coolidge, AZMay 9, 2015
I loved working for GWB. Everyone I have come in contact with is friendly and knowledgeable. Competitive products and services. I love the small town feel.
Good company
Teller (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 26, 2015
Pros: vacation
Cons: 6 day work weeks
Enjoyed the atmosphere, vacation was better than most companies. Thought the health insurance rates were high. Good people in the company, sometimes I hated the higher ups but thats common at all companies. They like to promote within so if you are good at your job and sales you can go places.
Great place to work.
Real Estate Loan Administrator (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMarch 31, 2015
I liked working here. Great people and fun working environment. Overall, management was good and listened to your concerns.
A Bank No more
Loan Consultant (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: They're gone
Great Western, like many Savings and Loans did not survive. I worked for them when the industry still solvent. Great Western was once a good place to work but they're gone
Bank is no longer in business
Vice President, Senior Brand Manager (Former Employee), Chatsworth, CAMarch 20, 2015
Great Western Bank was a great place to work. The Bank had a campus in Chatsworth that brought employees together and created a great work environment.
productive place
Customer support and sales associate (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAMarch 5, 2015
Fulfilling the duties as per the rules and guideline of the banking institution,learned time management , working according to the needs of the customers. the co-workers were helpful ,cooperative and educational at times of need.
helping customers according to there need and getting thank you in returned made me feel work done well on my part.
Would NOT recommend!!
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee), Maricopa, AZFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: nothing!
Cons: everything!
All I can say is....you'd be better off unemployed! There is NO training and ABSOLUTELY ZERO support from management (at least at this office). If you like jobs where you are set up for failure rather than success then this is the job for you. These people expect you to be born knowing the position and you are thrown in on day 1 answering the phones. Management needs to get a clue how to work with people and learn how to manage!! Low end tellers are allowed to basically run the branch and management allows it! Very clicky branch and not welcoming of new people. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea....RUN!! Remember, I have nothing to gain from writing this review....I'm only hoping it might help someone make a better decision for their career.
Fun Teller Line
RiverCentre Bank Teller (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 3, 2015
I was a teller and my co workers were always fun. I enjoyed working here. I realized that tellers are way underpaid however, Great Western pays more for hourly wage than other financial institutions.
Productive and fun place to work, great opportunaties for everyone
Personal Banker/Teller (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: everything great about great western bank. great company to work for
Great working hour schedules and benefits, great employer with a lot of opportunities. Fun and friendly environment to for couldn't be happier
Great co-workers, changing culture
Vice President-Business Banking (Current Employee), Clive, IAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: drastic change in philosophy
Great Western Bank is a regional commercial and agricultural bank. The Company touts local decision making and the ability to be flexible with clients. I have been treated fairly by the Company. I autonomy in my job, fair pay and good benefits. Recent managerial changes have resulted in changes in the decision making process which has made it difficult to serve the client or get decisions quickly.
Great Western Bank
Vice President - Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDOctober 6, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: understaffed
Good bank to work for. Earnings were solid and it was great to work with co-workers from NAB.
Fun
Teller / Senior Teller / Vault Custodian (Former Employee), Lancaster, CASeptember 10, 2014
Fun while it lasted. Great daily interaction with clients. Awesome management team.
An excellent results oriented company
Commercial Lending Officer (Current Employee), Longmont, COAugust 20, 2014
A focused well run organization with a flat management structure giving line staff access to upper level management. Flexible lending policies with capacity to handle virtually all requesters coming-out of the market.
Love my work peeps!
teller (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDJuly 31, 2014
Pros: coworkers, work environment, no pushy sales
Cons: hours
Teller: I was a temporary associate. I was covering a maternity leave. My coworkers were amazing. It was a fun work environment. Your opinion was valued. Corporate even spent time getting to know the basics of me even though I was only a temp. I worked at an off site branch so the downfall was being open until 7 Monday-friday and open until 5 on Saturday.
A Job????
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Auburn, NEJune 21, 2014
I was content with the company. They are the ones that came in and closed 13 branches on Sept 17th 2013. Mine was one of them.

My employees were awesome. Our branch was very friendly orientated. We knew every customers name and their backgrounds when they walked in the door we were very personable and they trusted our opinions.
The hardest part of the job was that GWB was always making changes. You had no ideal daily what was going to happen.

Most enjoyable part was my customers and co workers.
Most difficult employer I've ever had
Former Employee (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJune 2, 2014
Pros: you'll meet and make friends with some very fine colleagues; 401k
Cons: almost everything else
First of all, I should say that working in a branch vs. working in the corporate tower are two different things at this organization. People in the branches are always curious and even starved for acknowledgment from the corporate tower, but sadly they don't realize how good they have it being out of site and out of mind. My experience at the corporate tower was, quite frankly, the worst work experience I've ever had in my many years of banking. There are really good people there, and there is even the outward projection of opportunity. But don't be fooled. It is as cut throat and dog-eat-dog as any corporation could ever be. The National Australia Bank presence is entirely manipulative of the system - they will sell you anything you want to hear and mean none of it later. Typical of global corporate behemoths, NAB doesn't really care one hoot about employees (sure, their many spin doctors make lots of effort and feigned gesture to suggest they do, but it's all mostly smoke and mirrors) as evidenced by their regular redundancies. Rub one of the Aussies the wrong way and you will be instantly doomed/black-balled; no matter how much effort you put into trying to resolve a concern or absolve doubts, the NAB folks hold eternal grudges, and they can be extremely spiteful, even mean-spirited, just because its part of their own power-trip DNA. Make no mistake, Great Western Bank is a very large bank, trying very hard to pretend to be a community bank. It's not. It's a bloodthirsty, corporate environment from top to bottom at the tower; with many, many self-serving opportunists looking – more... for an angle to diminish a peer and project superiority. And NAB doesn't care about employee morale, it only cares about profits that translate into dividends for shareholders on the other side of the world. Think you can get ahead at GWB? Most people don't stay for very long anymore. Why? Because the compensation program is a complete gimmick. Because the corporate culture is replete with gimmicks. Because only those who are so pathetic to constantly pucker up and kiss up have even the remotest opportunity to get ahead. When you come on board, there is much promise of opportunity compensation wise, career tract wise, and any other wise. The HR people sell a very appealing bill of sale. Yet, you should be aware that it is NAB's nature to figure out any way possible to reduce compensation, not improve it. It is their nature to keep people duped and doped into complacency. So, don't believe for one second that this is a prime place to hang your hat long term. Rather, trust the corporate record. GWB has seen better than 20% of its staff turn over year-over-year since 2011. In 2013, over 30% of the staff left. And through mid-April 2014, the company was on pace to see a 30% departure rate again. Look at the many open positions. It's surprising how many are professional positions, managers, senior people, market leaders, and so on. That's a telltale sign of how a company treats its people. Lots of turnover signals lots of not very happy people. So, pursue GWB if you must but know you are really married to NAB when you do. It's an ideal place to work if you can't find work elsewhere, or if anything will do. They'll take you. They always have lots and lots of openings. Good luck. – less
Lots of fun while helping your customers
Lead Teller (Current Employee), Story City, IAMay 12, 2014
Great place to work. Every one is helpful and willing to work with you to help you meet all the customers needs!
Good work environment.
Teller (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 10, 2014
Pros: good job to work through college.
Cons: none.
I worked as a teller. Helped other with deposits, money orders, problems with their accounts.