Greater Baltimore Medical Center

Greater Baltimore Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Great work/life balance but treatment varies
finance (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 15, 2015
I work in an administrative area, we are treated completely differently from that clinical employees. It is well known who is valuable to the company, and it isn't the overhead. Upper management is NOT very transparent and do not communicate well. This is a known issue and management are constantly being trained on communication. In my area, there is very little upward mobility. They do not promote for performance, you need to apply to an open position. It would be difficult to see myself here in 2-3 more years because I am interested in advancement and it is very difficult for administrative positions here.
Pros
work/life balance, flexible schedule, always able to take off
Cons
no recognition for good work, no advancement opportunities, no communication
Gbmc
Registered Staff Nurse Emergency (Former Employee) –  TOWSON MDJune 9, 2015
The staff to some degree are pleasant but the ones that are pleasant are not in charge. There are not a lot of educated rn with a bachelors degree but they seem to promote individuals who have less education and experience.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS
Cons
SMALL MIND ADMINISTRATION
very employee health oriented
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 10, 2016
Greater Baltimore Medical Center is keenly interested in the health and safety of both patient and employee. However,solid management and leadership is lacking in many areas resulting in low moral and high turnover.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
poor management
Fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 16, 2016
By far the best place I have worked. Great team work, management supportive environment. Great compensation and opportunity to be the best one can be.
Pros
Recognition of good work done
Cons
Occasional short staffing
Different departments have team leaders and presidents who support co-workers in outings, games, luncheons, and creative activities
Anatomic Pathology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2015
During a typical work day, my co-workers and I work together as a team in order to demonstrate time management along with consistency of the work-flow. I have experienced working together can be somewhat of a challenge and rewarding; not hard. A challenge because of staying focus and moving the work through it's final completion. What I enjoy is at the end of the day, we manage to complete all of the work leaving none behind or stagnated.
Pros
Every so often, our employer supports the employees with a free lunch meal ticket.
Cons
The breaks are very relaxing, gives one the opportunity to re-group.
Productive and fun workplace with supportive management
Nursing Student (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 2, 2015
A great place to personally grow and develop with a lot of room for advancement through education and certifications. The most enjoyable part of the job is functioning as a team.
Home environment, comfortable, transcribed at home.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2015
Set up work station with medical reference books and sign into computer under my name.

Transcribe medical reports including discharge summaries, operative notes, consultations and history and physical exams.

Be available to help co workers by phone or email with challenging words or unclear dictation.

Co-workers all worked at home but we met at holidays and enjoyed each other's company.

Management was fair and appreciative of our hard work and very supportive.

The hardest part of the job was the ESL (English as second language) physicians who dictated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about medical issues and how they are treated. Work was very interesting.
Pros
working at home, flexible hours, overtime
Cons
Difficult dictators
Gilchrist Hospice Overworked
RN Gilchrist Hospice (Former Employee) –  TowsonJanuary 19, 2013
Home care hospice. Very stressful job, maximum nursing caseload is 11.5? Ok 1/2 a person, whatever anyway we are consistently running at 15-18 patients working 9-11 hours daily forget a lunch break there isnt any time! Management very focused on "productivity" how many patients you see in a week versus how much time you spend with patients face to face, in return a lot of disatisfaction from patients and families that they are being rushed and not getting the support they need. Hospice aides STAY AWAY, honestly they are severely overworked, only get paid hourly and are costantly being shorted on their paychecks. Little to no recognition. No raises this year from Gilchrist nor GBMC. No way to get your complaints taken care of it seems everything is brushed under the carpet same management team for years who feel they are "untouchable". No use to complain. Unfair practices regarding holiday time or time off. Too many "favorites" with certain managers and "black sheep" that always seem to get more work put on them. I could go on and on.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
no recognition for your hard work except from patients themselves
Medical Surgical Rotation
Clinical Experience (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 2, 2015
It was a step down unit from the ICU. It was pretty busy for the most part. Most of the time the unit would be full. Therefore I gained a lot of hands on experience as a nursing student.The nursing team was
Pros
Nurse-patient Ratio, Nurses
Cons
short breaks at times.
Great Place to work- Family Atmosphere
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 8, 2013
I love love working here and enjoy everyone that I work with.
My only and biggest complaint is the rate of pay and lack of raises. I took a drastic pay cut relocating to this hospital and was told I would be paid one amount per hour and once I got there and signed the paperwork it was something totally different. I do not feel like the rate of pay matches the cost of living in MD.
Pros
no weekends except for assigned call
Cons
lack of coverage, compensation sucks
negative work environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 9, 2014
terrible place. They are losing good employees because HR is pro-management. Still employeed but aggressively attempting to get a new position, hopefully within the next two weeks. Really ashame. Was hoping to be at GBMC for the rest of my career.

Upper Management is all contracted. Walk around the hospital acting like they are working with the masses....not so much.
Pros
good salary
Cons
everything else
Practice Management
Practice Manager II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore CountyOctober 5, 2015
Great place to work! Great people, leaders and quality organization.

Focus is on superior experience of the patient. Excellent customer service and continuous improvement prorgams.
Pros
Great leadership
Cons
Not much upward movement.
Fast Pace Productive Work Enviroment
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 25, 2014
I enjoy working the off shifts because it is less noisy. Overall the doctors are easy to work with and I enjoy the diversity among the co-workers and the cases we do. I can say that I truly enjoy my job.
Pros
great people to work with, permanent shifts, flexible
Cons
benefits are high, management constantly changing
Good company
Senior Disbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  MDSeptember 29, 2015
Had fun working at GBMC. Working with my coworkers was great and enjoyable. Had some of best Manager in the Accounts Payable Department.
Pros
Great hospital
Cons
Not enough flexiblity in schedule
Great for professional development but...............
Hospice aide (Former Employee) –  Home careMay 27, 2014
I gained a lot of education on hospice and palliative care. The only problem was that a hospice aide is a hourly position although the position may be full time your case load is dependent on the census. So if the patient census are low, so is your working hours and pay check! They will fail to tell you that during the interview process.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hours aren't guaranteed
Enjoyable work environment.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work at GBMC was always a positive experience, for the most part. ?The majority of co-workers were nice, friendly informative individuals. It was truly a family feel with exceptional team work. Management was not the best, but as for nurses and nursing support technicians, I couldn't have asked for a better team.
Pros
Free parking
Busy nursing floor
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baltimore MDAugust 11, 2015
I worked on a very busy labor and delivery unit. We had good teamwork and co workers worked well together. Management is going through changes right now that are not the best thing for the unit.
Patient Transportation
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Towson, MdNovember 27, 2014
When I originally applied to GBMC I applied for a unit secretary position because most of my past work experience was secretarial. When I was called in for interview they offered me a patient transport position. Because I was desperate I accepted the position of patient transport thinking I could advance switching the organization.

I worked at GBMC for 8months. I loved working with the patients and even some of my coworkers. But as a patient transporter your looked down on, nurses and faculty have no problem expressing that they think were incompetent. Still I was always able to smile through all that and continue to work hard.

I was hit in the eye with pole from a broken bariatric bedside commode causing my eye to swell, turn red, affected my vision, and later black eye. Because the incident happened on a unit the charge nurse had to fill out an incident report and so do I. I went to my supervisor she was unconcerned, refuse to let me go to the ER.

Even after following protocol and I wasn't look to file a law suit, I was no longer put on the schedule when I came in for my regular time I was sent home by the supervisor who told me I had to meet with my Director. I never could reach my Director, I called human resources and still the wild goose chance continue.

When I finally was contacted by my director I was fired and told because no call no show which wasn't true.

I was already disappointed because up until the incident I was getting praised for all my hard work from, nurses, Dr, patients..than to make matters worst I was given a bad reference to employers who were interested
  more... in hiring me.  less
Pros
patients, security, pay isn't too bad compared to other hospitals
Cons
lack of care for employees, prejudice not so much race but class and education
I enjoyed the work that I did. I was once told that I was on a moving train that left the station and I could either get on and enjoy the ride or not.
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2012
I enjoyed the work that I did. It was a high profile job that was once described as a fast moving train that I could either jump on or jump off. It was a great experience with a great team.
Pros
income, benefits, employee's were wonderful
Cons
back stabbing in leadership
Great place to work at.
Surgical Tech (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreFebruary 18, 2012
Greater Baltimore Medical center is a great place to work. If I had a chance, would not think twice but to work for them again.They have great benefits and flexible work schedule, great culture and great people to work with..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.