Job Title: Controller
Reports To: CEO/President
FLSA Status: Exempt
MISSION: The Greater Kokomo Economic Development Alliance fosters economic prosperity in Howard County, Indiana. For more, see greaterkokomo.com.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for all accounting functions, financial procedures, safeguarding of assets, and financial reporting to internal customers, board committees, councils, and external entities. In addition, this position handles some human resource administrative functions and provides support for outside auditors during a financial audit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Administers financial operating procedures to ensure the integrity of financial information and safeguarding of assets.
2. Accounts for all financial operations of the Alliance.
3. Reports financial results to the Alliance board, councils, staff and outside entities.
4. Monitors account receivable and payable records.
5. Reports and monitors grant financial results.
6. Coordinates with the Professional Employer Organization (PEO) for all payroll and human resource administrative functions for the staff.
7. Prepares various reports for federal, state and local government entities.
8. Prepares and maintains annual contribution letters for stakeholders.
9. Maintains contracts for the Alliance.
10. Assists CPA firm with annual financial audits.
11. Works with the insurance agent to maintain adequate coverage for the Alliance.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Administrative Coordinator-Main Street staff person, who handles membership and event invoicing and billing, reports to the Controller. The Administrative Coordinator will submit monthly reports to the Controller for reconciliation.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) from a four-year college or university in a field relevant to finance and accounting, i.e. business administration, finance, public administration, or accounting is required. M.S./M.B.A. is preferred. Incumbent should possess 5 to 7 years of related experience in finance or accounting role.
Experience working in an economic development or Chamber of Commerce environment is desired. Experience with fund accounting and QuickBooks highly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES and/or REGISTRATIONS: A valid Indiana driver’s license is required for this position. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification is desired.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Computer software skills required include: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of economic development and of public and private economic development programs, as well as knowledge of local, state, and federal programs is desired. In addition, the job requires the ability to adapt, conform and understand the local political make-up of the community and surrounding areas. Incumbent must have the ability to travel domestically as required by the position.