Green Chimneys Employee Reviews

The Ross family is going an excellent work in fulfilling their mission to serve children by providing behavior, psychological, and academic care.
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYAugust 21, 2016
However, a lot of the female management staff manage from a stance of "bullying". As a staff member at the Brewster facility you are expected to go along with the foolery of inadequate care/treatment of helpless children, their personal inter-relationships among subordinates and management, and the lack of sufficient pay that is comparable to the work that is being performed.

Overall some of the male management are not willing to relinquish their traditions of how the facility is operated. They are very territorial and easily offended when challenged to change.

I personally witnessed staff degrading resident's ability to over come their personal challenges athletically, psychologically, and emotionally. Many of the staff are emotionally frustrated with their job/position and possible their personal lives too.

I did not learn anything at this facility I found it to be a waist of my time. I resigned in less than one year.

One thing to note, I did build rapport with a few of the children and have run into one or two of them since I and they have left the facility.

The Children are great despite their challenges!
Pros
Tuition assistance
Cons
salary and some staff members lack of support for all the children
Would not recommend
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brewster, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Very high turnover in childcare, teaching, and school administrative staff.

No raises in over 7 years. One-time bonuses have been given on occasion.

Large amounts of vacation (5/9 weeks) taken from teachers in the past couple of years with no other compensation for the loss.

Management is not to be trusted. School administrators can be abusive and disrespectful with no consequence. Promises are made and not kept.

The kids are what motivates staff, but this only keeps people here for so long before they move on to places where they are treated better and receive the full benefits their positions should provide.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
See above review
not recommended!!!!!!!!!!
everything (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJuly 7, 2015
Upper management refuses to see the dysfunction across the board!
No pay raises for over 7 years yet upper management continues to receive new titles and raises. Policies and producers are only for the employees they want to use it against. Targeting, bullying, unprofessional and unproductive management with big egos, low moral with no hope of change!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
taken advantage of, yet not being considered a team player
Nepotism and favoritism at it's best
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brewster, NYJune 30, 2015
Upper Management refuses to acknowledge the horrible behavior of mid management friends and family. Policy and procedures are applied to only a select few staff members across all the depts. Nurses are not held to the same standards across the board because of favoritism. Management engages in gossip and preferential treatment of staff.
Pros
Cons
All of the above
Not for me
Social worker (Current Employee) –  BrewsterMarch 20, 2013
Very hard place to work. Poor pay, unreasonable management, and rampant favoritism. The children were the only positive aspect of the job. Avoid them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poorly run family business
Enjoy working with children
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brewster, NYMarch 24, 2015
Its a nice place to work, enjoy being with children and learned how to deal with children's crisis. Every day you learn more to make you understand children's needs psychiatrically, and on a personal level. Co workers stick together making it a more comfortable atmosphere.
productive and interesting mixtures of people
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2013
i Love working there because it give me a chance to work with animals like ive always wanted .Its intellectual and very informative.Your hands on with the animals and workshop at the green chimneys location on 23rd street we discuss financial and life issues we each have and how we can fix them. .
Pros
nice 10 min breaks
Cons
N/A
Hillside
camp counselor  (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYMay 3, 2013
The camp in Brewster is the worst place to work at. The leadership there have no clue what they are doing, they bully the staff, and they totally play favorites. One summer there was enough that I would never go back.
Pros
the kids and the activities
Cons
unprofessional leadership
Postive Place to work
Caseworker/ Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brewster, NYFebruary 6, 2013
I enjoy my co-workers and working with the children. Every day is different and you are always learning something more about the agency and yourself professionally.
Great Work Place
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2013
I am currently a Direct Care worker for the LGBT Company. I attend to pre teens to help with school, employment, and housing.

Want to know more about Green Chimneys?

Ask a question