Greenpeace

Greenpeace Employer Reviews

Incredibly fun job with lots of travel to amazing places and exciting events
Campaign Coordinator/Team Leader (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 19, 2014
Pros: social atmosphere, travel, free events, fulfilling work, free socials, music festivals, etc
Cons: makes it hard to maintain a personal life separate from work
My experience with Greenpeace was, overall, a positive one, with a few exceptions.

During my time with Greenpeace, I grew, learned, experienced, and achieved quite a bit. I was in charge of coordinating events and volunteers on the local level; fundraising, training, and opening offices on the national level. I participated in events from California to North Carolina, Montana to Texas. I have been pictured in the newspaper dressed as an iPhone at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, and featured on the news in Portland, Maine as part of an anti-whaling protest.

The job culture is simply sublime. I met my closest friends through my work with Greenpeace, and continue to be part of the culture to this day. They have weekly socials, engage in team sports, and encourage volunteerism during non-working hours.

Although the culture great, it also contributes to the poor work/life balance I experienced with Greenpeace. I had lived in Colorado for three years while working for Greenpeace, and had not made any social life for myself outside of work in that time. With all the traveling and relationships with co-workers, it creates an almost cult-like environment with little interaction with the outside world (we would actually joke about bringing new people to socials and introducing them to our office culture as 'drinking the kool-aid').

I wouldn't trade my time with Greenpeace for the world, but, in retrospect, I would like to have made more of an effort to have a better separation between my professional and personal life.
Exciting and Challenging
Volunteer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 27, 2013
Pros: free promotional gifts
Cons: scale of environmental problems
I did some community outreach projects with Greenpeace as a lead activist this involved talking with people about the campaigns and gathering signatures mostly. I was trained in how to organize small events, coordinate with volunteers, write press releases and use social media. During the training conference I had the opportunity to meet activists from across the US working on campaigns such as promoting renewables and spreading awareness of climate change. Motivating others and myself on how to be more involved was a challenge and communicating about environmental issues in a positive way was complex, because the concepts can be hard for individuals to understand. I enjoyed this work because it was an opportunity to meet and talk with people about issues, which I care about and promoted sustainable actions.
Great learning experience and introduction into Greenpeace as a company
Greenpeace Organizing Term Intern (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 25, 2013
I learned a lot, and was working on real campaigns, making noticeable impact to cut coal usage in LA. Management wasn't entirely wonderful and I don't think I would work for Greenpeace, but the knowledge and experience definitely changed my life for the better.
Rewarding
Activist/Team Leader (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 1, 2013
They allowed for expression of ideas and the ability to be involved in environmental issues
Great support, great friends, but hard schedule
Frontline Staff (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 20, 2013
Pros: extremely friendly co-workers
Cons: canvassing in bad weather
Canvassing is a tough job, and it becomes ever tougher when talking about saving animals. This job is a manifestation of my values as far as compassion, knowledge, and self-evaluation go. At the same time, scheduling around my education became a difficult task while employed. From 11-5, everyday I would meet at a site to start canvassing for the environment. The constant rejection was a great way to create new challenges. I learned a lot of environmental fact, I would have otherwise stayed ignorant about.
A great place to work and meet like minded people.
Team Leader (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: great benefits, working with cool people, and making a postive difference in the world
Cons: standing in the cold/heat, short breaks, rude people
Working for Greenpeace was on a typical day a really fun place to work. I enjoyed very much talking to the public about issues that really mattered to me and world. Just knowing that i was working for something that was bigger than me made the job one of the best that i have ever had.
I learned a lot about the environment and myself along with the general public. Not only but i also learned how to work in teams and not just by myself. We had to be there to support each other in this job.
All my coworkers were great and all around my same age and and i enjoyed very much meeting up with them and doing warmups to get going for the day.
I would say the hardest part of this job was dealing with people that were rude to you on the street. Or having a day were no one would stop to at least here your pitch and the information that i was trying to get out there. Grassroots campaigning can be a really hard job. Especially if you meet people that don't agree with your cause.
The best part of the job though was talking to people, giving out information and putting smiles on people faces as you inspired them to get more involved with the world around them.
productive and inspiring to help save animals as well
Assist inbound customer callers/activist/canviser (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2012
Pros: it was fun getting to know my co workers.
Cons: having to go to different sights.
We would meet up at a Traders Joe or a place that supported commecial fishing. so basically we would approch random people and ask them if they want to become apart of the movement of saving the oceans and the rain forest. We never took cash we only took crdit cards and if a person was to decide to become a member of the non profit organization they would have to give a monthly contribution of 15-150 a month its their option. the hardest part of the job was persuading people to become apart of a movement that everyone knew about but wasnt that concerned about. i enjoyed signing new memmbers and learning more about the deep sea fishing that is going on in our oceans today as well as what is going on in our rain forest.
Initiated inspiring and tactful strategies to create environmental change.
Community Organizer (Former Employee), Wellington, NZNovember 28, 2014
A typical day working for Greenpeace was a mixture of thrilling, inspiring and exhausting. I absolutely loved working for them. I was able to get to know Greenpeace as an organization and I fully respect the work they do, especially their nonviolent direct action protest strategies.
Unique
Team Leader, Sydney (Former Employee), Sydney, NSWNovember 3, 2014
A realm of possibility. Everyday, every conversation is a chance to make an impact on individuals and the world.
To manage the day effectively to have productive and positive day can sometimes be a challenge.
Start the day by making contact with those on my team, that I wasn't working directly with that day, to set goals for the day, create open line of communication and support, and inspire.
At the venue for the day, meet up with the team, role play and give feedback, give my pitch and inspire team, set SMART goals for team and individual goals within that. Then go out and inspire the public and offer the opportunity to take action.
For me the hardest part of the job is having to let people go.
The most enjoyable is having an impact on team members and seeing them succeed.
Lovely work atmosphere
Voluntary Worker (Current Employee), London, ENGAugust 25, 2014
Pros: lots of tea and biscuits!
Cons: there are none, its great.
I have volunteered at the Greenpeace head offices and fell in love with the place. The offices themselves are quirky and comfortable, just what you would expect from greenpeace, and the people are wonderful. In my time there I didn't meet anyone that didn't make me feel welcome and like they appreciated my company.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN WORKPLACE
Direct Dialogue Recruiter (Former Employee), hyderabadJune 14, 2014
It's a place where we can improve our communication skills and we can also serve for our better future....
Fun work environment
Street Fundraiser (Former Employee), Glasgow, SCTMay 28, 2014
Pros: fun atmosphere
Cons: unrealistic targets
Through this job I was able to meet lots of interesting people on both sides of the clipboard (co-workers and customers). The team leader always managed to make the sessions engaging and it was refreshing to be working in a relaxed environment such as this. The hardest part of the job was staying positive through bad encounters, terrible weather and fatigue, however this was over come by having a positive attitude and being able to deflect negative people.
The biggest problem with this job, however, is the same as in many fundraising jobs, and that is the job security, you are prompted to make sales on a weekly basis and are given unrealistic targets, in my time there I saw far too many good fundraisers let go because they missed target one week or another.
In this company we work with enjoy
DDR (Former Employee), DelhiMay 7, 2014
The greenpeace is very good organisation. And management is also good.
Social work place
Volunteer (Former Employee), SwedenApril 5, 2014
Pros: traveling&meeting new people.
Cons: working outside in any weather condition, and no payment of course
Mostly was traveling around the country and visiting places and standing on the street and giving information about the issues that Greenpeace deal with. And most of the times we were stopping people on the city center and talking to them and ask them question and convince them to help us in any way they can.
Amazing workplace
Campaign Assistant, Fundraiser (Current Employee), internationalFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: fun, great meaning
Cons: nfp, not great money
Great people and organization, highly recommended experience
Outreach Officer
OUTREACH OFFICER (Former Employee), New Delhi, DLFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: good to do a nice thing to save the environment
Cons: individual supported organisation
This International NGO has played great role in creating environmental awarwness and crating environmental and eco-friendly pro laws.
A good day out aways chatting to new people
charity fundraiser (Former Employee), all overJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: outdoor, freindly work
Cons: not good when it rained
I learned lots of communication skills and enjoyed the enthusiasm of the work.It was outdoors and never too boring.
Productive and Fun workplace
Team leader (Former Employee), Grey Lynn, NDecember 19, 2013
Pros: good start rate
Cons: after hours - location mt eden
Training and colleagues were very helpful. Management fairly keen to offer extra training if required.
Recruiter and Fundraiser (Former Employee), GreeceDecember 11, 2013
• Informing on campaigns and activities
• Recruiting new members and supports
Great
Dialogue Recruiter (Former Employee), Chennai, TNNovember 12, 2013
Pros: more off time & less working hours
Cons: will change the concept about greenpeace, low income and less creativity
I was really enjoying while i was working with Greenpeace, I felt I was in my college with my friends when I am doing the job. Really great.