Greenpeace Employee Reviews

Enlightening experience with life long connections.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2015
My time at Greenpeace was eye-opening to say the least. In addition to the countless connections and friends made, I gained skills and character traits that position me for great success in the future.
Incredibly fun job with lots of travel to amazing places and exciting events
Campaign Coordinator/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 19, 2014
My experience with Greenpeace was, overall, a positive one, with a few exceptions.

During my time with Greenpeace, I grew, learned, experienced, and achieved quite a bit. I was in charge of coordinating events and volunteers on the local level; fundraising, training, and opening offices on the national level. I participated in events from California to North Carolina, Montana to Texas. I have been  more... pictured in the newspaper dressed as an iPhone at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, and featured on the news in Portland, Maine as part of an anti-whaling protest.

The job culture is simply sublime. I met my closest friends through my work with Greenpeace, and continue to be part of the culture to this day. They have weekly socials, engage in team sports, and encourage volunteerism during non-working hours.

Although the culture great, it also contributes to the poor work/life balance I experienced with Greenpeace. I had lived in Colorado for three years while working for Greenpeace, and had not made any social life for myself outside of work in that time. With all the traveling and relationships with co-workers, it creates an almost cult-like environment with little interaction with the outside world (we would actually joke about bringing new people to socials and introducing them to our office culture as 'drinking the kool-aid').

I wouldn't trade my time with Greenpeace for the world, but, in retrospect, I would like to have made more of an effort to have a better separation between my professional and personal life.  less
Pros
social atmosphere, travel, free events, fulfilling work, free socials, music festivals, etc
Cons
makes it hard to maintain a personal life separate from work
Exciting and Challenging
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 27, 2013
I did some community outreach projects with Greenpeace as a lead activist this involved talking with people about the campaigns and gathering signatures mostly. I was trained in how to organize small events, coordinate with volunteers, write press releases and use social media. During the training conference I had the opportunity to meet activists from across the US working on campaigns such as promoting  more... renewables and spreading awareness of climate change. Motivating others and myself on how to be more involved was a challenge and communicating about environmental issues in a positive way was complex, because the concepts can be hard for individuals to understand. I enjoyed this work because it was an opportunity to meet and talk with people about issues, which I care about and promoted sustainable actions.  less
Pros
free promotional gifts
Cons
scale of environmental problems
Great learning experience and introduction into Greenpeace as a company
Greenpeace Organizing Term Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 25, 2013
I learned a lot, and was working on real campaigns, making noticeable impact to cut coal usage in LA. Management wasn't entirely wonderful and I don't think I would work for Greenpeace, but the knowledge and experience definitely changed my life for the better.
Rewarding
Activist/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2013
They allowed for expression of ideas and the ability to be involved in environmental issues
Great support, great friends, but hard schedule
Frontline Staff (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 20, 2013
Canvassing is a tough job, and it becomes ever tougher when talking about saving animals. This job is a manifestation of my values as far as compassion, knowledge, and self-evaluation go. At the same time, scheduling around my education became a difficult task while employed. From 11-5, everyday I would meet at a site to start canvassing for the environment. The constant rejection was a great way to create new challenges. I learned a lot of environmental fact, I would have otherwise stayed ignorant about.
Pros
extremely friendly co-workers
Cons
canvassing in bad weather
A great place to work and meet like minded people.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2013
Working for Greenpeace was on a typical day a really fun place to work. I enjoyed very much talking to the public about issues that really mattered to me and world. Just knowing that i was working for something that was bigger than me made the job one of the best that i have ever had.
I learned a lot about the environment and myself along with the general public. Not only but i also learned how to  more... work in teams and not just by myself. We had to be there to support each other in this job.
All my coworkers were great and all around my same age and and i enjoyed very much meeting up with them and doing warmups to get going for the day.
I would say the hardest part of this job was dealing with people that were rude to you on the street. Or having a day were no one would stop to at least here your pitch and the information that i was trying to get out there. Grassroots campaigning can be a really hard job. Especially if you meet people that don't agree with your cause.
The best part of the job though was talking to people, giving out information and putting smiles on people faces as you inspired them to get more involved with the world around them.  less
Pros
great benefits, working with cool people, and making a postive difference in the world
Cons
standing in the cold/heat, short breaks, rude people
productive and inspiring to help save animals as well
Assist inbound customer callers/activist/canviser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2012
We would meet up at a Traders Joe or a place that supported commecial fishing. so basically we would approch random people and ask them if they want to become apart of the movement of saving the oceans and the rain forest. We never took cash we only took crdit cards and if a person was to decide to become a member of the non profit organization they would have to give a monthly contribution of 15-150 a month its their option. the hardest part of the job was persuading people to become apart of a movement that everyone knew about but wasnt that concerned about. i enjoyed signing new memmbers and learning more about the deep sea fishing that is going on in our oceans today as well as what is going on in our rain forest.
Pros
it was fun getting to know my co workers.
Cons
having to go to different sights.

4.4