Responsible for the management of all Greens Farms Academy's (GFA) grounds maintenance activities. Plan, develop, prioritize and manage grounds maintenance tasks, agronomy and horticultural programs. Grow and encourage growth of sports turf and ornamental lawn areas and maintain its health and vitality in accord with the seasonal calendar, the Greens Farms Academy calendar and with current weather conditions.
1. Assure that required levels of appearance, plant health, cleanliness and public safety are attained on a daily basis. Responsibilities also include coordination of grounds maintenance work activity with other various Greens Farms Academy Departments.
2. Plan, organize and direct the day-to-day work programs to provide ascertained levels of excellence on the GFA Campus and out-lying properties.
a. Manage, train and provide technical assistance to employees engaged in daily grounds maintenance tasks, agronomy and special horticultural projects.
b. Inspect completed assignments to ensure that satisfactory work quality operating procedures, efficiency, progress, methods and practices, safety and other established standards and requirements are satisfactorily met and maintained.
3. Develop, implement and maintain an integrated pest management program in accordance with Local, State and Federal school pesticide regulations.
4. Utilize appropriate turf management practices to ensure the health of the fields in a "green" manner.
5. Establish and maintain direct personal contact with Greens Farms Academy community members. Ensure a strong "customer service" focus when addressing concerns about maintenance frequencies, standards, appearance, disturbance, etc.
6. Provide support service for a wide variety of events, programs, official functions, recreational activities, etc.
7. Initiate purchase of supplies, tools and equipment in accordance with established purchasing procedures. Plan, develop and manage a program for preventive maintenance of tools and equipment assigned to the grounds maintenance team to ensure prolonged life, usefulness and safety of equipment to minimize breakdowns, failures and hazards.
8. Establish and maintain a system of records to include correspondence, project files, and personnel files to include attendance and training history.
9. Participate in creating and maintaining a task-related grounds maintenance inventory system. This includes equipment history and preventive maintenance files. Utilize to schedule, evaluate and improve plant health, general landscape appearance.
10. Assist with daily drop off and dismissal traffic; event traffic as scheduled.
11. Manage and participate in snow removal process.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires technical knowledge and understanding of grounds management, agronomy and horticultural practices as related to the Greens Farms Academy Campus. It requires the ability to organize, prioritize, and perform under pressure in both client contact and internal departmental capacity.
1. B.S. degree in Agronomy, botany or horticulture or a closely-related field or an equivalent of five years’ experience in directly related work.
2. Must adhere to and enforce all safety standards and work practices set by Local, State and Federal guidelines, and policies of GFA.
3. Basic mechanical knowledge and experience.
4. Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks.
5. Ability to work independently without close supervision.
6. Must be able to meet deadlines.
7. Must have a valid State of Connecticut driver's license.
8. Computer knowledge - Word, Excel, email, work management system.
9. Should be vitally interested in grounds maintenance including the desire to grow & maintain grass on athletic turf fields and ornamental lawn areas of GFA.
1. Has knowledge of and experience in all phases of grounds maintenance, including:
a. Plants, turf grasses and their care to maintain them in a live and healthy state.
b. Identification of plants, ornamental species, weeds and other undesirable plant species.
c. Operation of commonly used power equipment & other tools related to grounds maintenance.
d. Automatic lawn irrigation/sprinkler systems; installation, controllers, PVC piping & maintenance of each.
e. Fertilizing, renovation, and aerification.
f. Insect and disease control in lawns and plants; assess pest problems, research, propose and execute a resolution.
g. Organic, hybrid and all nutrient field and lawn care.
2. Drive tractors, operates power trimmers, vacuums, blowers, trenchers, rototillers and other similar pieces of machinery.
3. Load, unload, move and carry grounds related supplies and equipment. Assist tree trimmers, construction crews and other grounds related specialty teams in manual labor task assignments.
1. Must possess and maintain a valid Pesticide Spray License (or be currently studying for license) and have knowledge of State and Federal pesticide regulations for schools.
2. Ability to determine fertilizer formulations is required. Must know basic chemicals and what they control.
3. Maintains a functional awareness of OSHA requirements typical hazards of the work place as well as the special hazards that may be encountered at GFA such as biohazards, chemicals, etc. Should have and keep current on knowledge of safety procedures related to hazardous chemicals and follow established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards.
4. Checks and ensures staff and work areas have proper safety equipment, and first aid supplies on hand.
5. Knowledge of OSHA required practices regarding maintenance task safety, work area & equipment safety, chemical safety and annual training for each.
1. Ability to be flexible and constantly adjust to changing priorities.
2. Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
3. Strong problem-solving skills and sound judgment.
4. Ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing and electronically.
5. Ability to understand and apply Greens Farms Academy and Departmental policies and procedures.
6. Assists in the preparation of employee performance evaluation.
7. Ability to train, and oversee performance of, grounds personnel in all grounds keeping operations listed below. Good communication skills, both written and oral, are required.
8. Ensure grounds personnel receive appropriate safety training and follow all safety guidelines.
9. Inspects work assignments of immediate crew for quality control and completion of tasks.
10. Assists with preparation and participates in training sessions and seminars.
11. Promptly reports accidents on the job, preparing and submitting accident reports.
1. Must be physically able to consistently perform job duties listed above.
2. Able to bend, stoop, and lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
3. Must able to withstand inclement weather including extremes of hot, cold and with precipitation typical of New England.
Typical Level of Interaction:
This position requires strong interaction with all school personnel as well as various service providers.
This role is a working supervisory role within Facilities and at minimum supervises the Grounds Maintenance Crew.
All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check and TB screening.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to listen, physically direct, and speak. The employee is required to stand; walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is also required to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 50lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.