Greenville Health System Employee Reviews

Great job!
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day at GHS is coming in and working at least 48 accounts per day attempting to collect all money due from insurance companies. I have learned about the different types of insurance and what type of charges they will and will not cover. We have a good managment team however once we recieved the new system to work out of it has caused a lot of errors and slow downs to where its hard to be productive but i know we will get back on track soon. I love my supervisor, she goes above and beyond to try and get us what when need and keep us all in good spirits.
Pros
off on weekends and good benefits
Cons
no paid holidays, have to have pto to get time off, not good on raises
Really enjoyed my work but would like to try something different, will be retiring sometime this year
Technicsl Director (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 17, 2017
A wonderful place to work. It was very rewarding . I would not hesitate to recommend this as a place to work or start a career. Very well managed with great employee benefits. I did Cardiac Ultrasound on babies, children and teenagers with. Complex congenital heart disease. I was also the ttechnical director and had the responsibility of obtaining and maintains accreditation for the lab and also over seeing the daily operations of the lab.
Pros
Loved the children, babies and physicians where i worked in Pediatric outpatient cardiology
Not the greatest
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 17, 2017
Benefits/pay are lower than surrounding hospitals.
My management is not very great at resolving conflict or helping work flow. They are always 'too busy'
Most of my coworkers are great! Very helpful (3rd shift) Day shift could use some work.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Pay, benefits, management, advancement, problem resolution
Awesome Company with awesome benefits. Co-workers were amazing.
DONE ALL SUPERVISOR DUTIES (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 25, 2017
Had to relocate to home town due to Mother being sick. I stopped work for awhile to take care of Mother. GHS offered wonderful benefits and room for advancement. I worked in two different areas of GHS. !st- I was Office manager in the Family Practice area. That job was deleted. I then moved to the OBGYN dept.
Pros
Awesome
Cons
Too fr to drive with sick Mother
GHS is a good place to work
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 10, 2017
I would recommend GHS as a good place to work. There is room for advancement and tuition reimbursement is a plus. I learned a lot about working for a big system versus a small office. There is a lot of politics involved with big systems.
This is the first time in 10 years I have actually considered employment outside of the company.
RN (Current Employee) –  Greenville MemorialAugust 24, 2016
I have worked for GHS for over 10 years. I have been a dedicated employee since I began my career there. For the first time in that time, I am now truly considering "life outside of GHS". When I became a nurse, the hiring process was slow even though I was already in the system. Now that I have obtained an advanced practice degree and certification, it is proving to be just as slow. It sometimes takes 2-3 mos. for applications to ever advance past "application under review". While I truly can't speak for the upper level management (because I have maybe met them once or twice), I can say that my direct managers and directors often spend so much time in meetings that they are generally unavailable if we need them. At times of staffing shortages several years ago, I can remember when they could pitch in and help, which unfortunately seems to be a thing of the past. As is the story in many healthcare facilities, it feels as though we are overworked and underappreciated. I also remember when Nurse's Week was important and when we received some token of appreciation, be it breakfast or lunch or a small gift. I'm not even sure there was acknowledgment of Nurse's Week this year...I think it was in May? It just feels as though Nursing is not as important to management as it used to be and as important as it should be, though I'm not sure that this is only occurring at GHS.
Pros
Decent benefits, Many types of jobs available, Awesome coworkers
Cons
See review.
GHS talks the talk but does not walk the walk
Nursing management (Current Employee) –  OconeeOctober 7, 2016
GHS stresses using their "Compassion Standards" but does not require it of their upper management team. No recognition for working constant overtime. Gaining a reputation as "using" employees until they no longer need them; then replacing seasoned and long time valuable employees with brand-new, green and inexperienced staff. It's a shame that upper management is so disconnected they do not understand how the "real world" works in healthcare at the bedside and for the patient. A corporate giant growing bigger, and more disconnected than ever, by the day.
Gained experience and skills
Referral Specialist/CMA (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working with a newly graduate PA because be both learned from each other.
We were told this year that no one would get raises, no bonuses, and jobs were cut.
They appear to be very unstable at this point
Pros
Free Lunches and breakfast
Cons
lack of management
Nice people to work with
of Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SC 29605March 8, 2017
When I started working at GHS it was a great place to work. As time has gone on they a taken most of our benefits and are incentives. While doing that they have piled more work on us. They expect us to be loyal employees even though take everything away from us.
Pros
Nice patients and co workers
Cons
Lack of regard for the employees
Enjoyed working with the patients
Physician Practice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 31, 2017
Greenville Health System is a very good company to work for. It just take so long to get in as an employee. Like that they promote within giving others the opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long process to get hired
GHS review
Nurse Practitioner in acute hospital setting (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 27, 2017
Great environment to work in with a great staff. Felt very comfortable and will miss this job. Was able to balance work and outside life with no concerns. Job had great benefits and stability.
Not easy as it seems
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 24, 2016
I love my job but it is harder than it seems. We are expected to work sick ( throwing up and running a fever) even though they say we cannot work. I spend most of my days walking between patients and usually from one end of the hospital to the other. The pay could be better for transporters but they "only pay middle of the road". I have heard this several time even though I know that other hospitals in the area pay almost four dollars more an hour on average.
Pros
Get to meet all walks of life, you get to know patients from transporting them several times during thier stay.
Cons
Manager in the department can come off as condesending a lot of the times, Expect us to move patients with in 22 minutes to maintain standards but sometimes that is impossible
Gained Experience
Physician Practice Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 9, 2017
I have gained a lot of experience with dealing with patients and providers that I have worked for. The knowledge I have obtained working with the system, I feel will help me to move forward in my career.
Challenging work environment, must be able to make accurate rapid choices.
RN (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCMarch 10, 2017
Middle management was attentive to the needs of employee's but upper management was fixed on the bottom line. Frequently worked with a high caregiver to patient ratio.
Great people in nice family communities
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 21, 2016
I am currently working in a surgical hospital, Patewood Memorial Hospital in Greenville, SC and feel the staff here works together to give excellent care. I enjoy the close/family feel I have with my coworkers. I am blessed that after 28 years of working in health care, I still enjoy my job.
Pros
Great coworkers with nice environment
Cons
Declining benefits and change of administration that does not give secure feel for my future
Job Stability
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greenville SCOctober 26, 2016
I enjoyed working at GHS. The rate of pay was fair and for the most part the Supervisors were also fair and willing to help when needed.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hours and working in an office with 100 females
Worked there many yrs. Good first several yrs but culture /sr leadership change very negative
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 27, 2016
Worked in upper management for several years for this health system. The first several yrs were very good and overall a positive experience. However, in the last 3-5 yrs there has been a drastic change in how senior and executive leaders have managed the health system. A massive exit of long term senior directors, administrators, and sr. administration due to corporate decisions has completely changed the culture of the health system. Extremely long unappreciated hours are expected of management and staffing. Most areas the staff is greatly over worked and understaffed. People are put into leadership position with little and in many cases zero experience in the area they are now managing. Massive favortism exists on all levels. The staff works extremely hard and genuinely love and care about the patients and their profession in every department. But senior leadership could care less. It's all about facades and putting on a false public image. I loved my job, my staff, and my profession, but hard work is not appreciated at GHS. Good patient care is delivered because of the front line staff and their dedication.
I would not recommend GHS in their current environment as a good place to work. Bring back the previous senior leadership team - and you've got a wonderful system. Continue with your current business strategy and direction - and it's a sinking ship.
Pros
Dedicated, talented, caring front line staff
Cons
Executive leadership does not care about doing whats right for employees. Its all about favortism, & false public image
Focusing on patient care and needs is top priority.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 12, 2017
Employment @ GHS offers an excellent choice of growth in different areas of the System in regards to Nursing. Every day can be one which opens a new and rewarding pathway of showing compassionate to the patients we cared for.
Pros
Patient care
Cons
Need assistant for phone nurse.
Colorful workplace
UNIT SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 10, 2016
Work 12 hour shifts with different nurses on rotation. Depending on the team that you are working with on a particular day often determines how the day will go. Positive people who love what they do and work together makes for a great, productive work day. The hardest part of the job is getting along with others personalities. The most enjoyable day is seeing new and old faces of pediatric patients who are admitted, discharged or seeking treatment at the hospital. The management team is no cohesive. It does not work together to bring the different units together.
Very difficult organization
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 28, 2016
Working at GHS is a very cold environment. The management is very unfriendly and it is very difficult for family to come first before work. Very unaccommodating schedule requests.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greenville Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Greenville Health System Reviews by Location