Greyhound Lines, Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun enviroment great interaction with customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2013
I would like to start with the most enjoyable part of that job, providing customer service. I really enjoy bringing security to my clients. The fact that I know my job, and I am willing to go beyond the measures of providing "front page" customer service. I always keep in mind, I am also a customer to someone else. So I make sure I treat people the way I would like to be treated. I can honestly say there is nothing hard about that job. My co-workers and I were like family. The management was overall great. The things I learned during that experience is how to remain bias when trying to resolve complaints. My typical day at work consist of arriving at 8am, get my coffee prepare, clean my desk, log into my computer and pull up all 12 screens, log into my phone, put my smile on, and take my first call. I try to make my first call a really good call, build a trusting relationship with my client so that the customer isn't second guessing my position nor the company. After getting through that first great call, the rest of the say is a breeze. Next thing you know, I am clocking out at 5pm. Thankful that I was able to turn a customer frown to a smile. Then home to my family preparing for a better day tomorrow.
Pros
welcoming work enviroment
Cons
no insurance
Do not work here
Former Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 30, 2016
As a former employee from the Dallas area i recommend that no one works for this company. I have been on the operations side of the company as well as the corporate side. The job itself is extremely easy but as for the people that you have to work with on a daily basis, they are completely rude and disrespectful. I had to step our of character to put a supervisor in her place because she likes to yell and disrespect employees in front of customers.And was even worse to the customers. They have security on the property that cant do their job as far as protecting the customers and employees because they "take their job too serious". The Dallas area has alot of homeless people as well as people that steal and sell drugs on the property. customers and employees have been robbed and nothing has been done. All these things i have seen for myself with the 3 years invested in the company.There should never be a work place that makes you feel that youre not appreciated and a work place where you have to protect yourself from the inside out!

I can honestly say there were some good people there while I was there but the good employees do not last long, Its the rude, disrespectful people that seem to linger around. I feel sorry for those that are actually good dedicated hard working people and have to work for a company that doesnt care about the safety of their customers or even the employees. The Dallas area is not a place i recommend to work.
Pros
You will be happy to NOT work here
Cons
Safety at risk
a typical day at greyhound
Ticket Agent (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 4, 2014
Come into work, the ticket counter has been closed for 3 hours by management. There is a long line of angry passengers demanding to get a free food voucher and refund because there bus is a hour or more late. Management has not dealt with the issue and expect the ticket agents to take care of those problems. After that has been solved and next thing is dealing with people that have tickets but failed to show up on the right day, and want to go that day instead. After explaining the new policy, the tickets are no good, passed the departing dated, and then needing to call security because you have extremely mad people throwing things of the counter and yelling at you. After that is done, you need to make a boarding call for the buses departing, and that time you get some people to the counter not understanding departure or westbound for example. Then you have to explain westbound means the bus is going west and which cities are to the west. After that you run over to the restrooms and clean them real quick before you get a line of people. This is repeated couple times through the shift until it's time to go home, but at that time the management wants you to stay later for a late bus.
Pros
free lunch at the monthly safety meeting
Cons
management, a lot of unhappy passenger complaints
Fun and productive work place/
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2015
I have had a lot of fun working for Greyhound. Every place has its ups and downs, but overall this was a nice experience that i would definitely return to if I must. I had cool co-workers who helped me with the day to day routines and taught me how to stay calm on the road. It was a fun environment and some of the people turned out to be awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the ability to travel to different places and also being able to explore if you stayed overnight. The hardest part of the job was dealing with dispatch. Never been a fan of telephone supervisors who can't see or understand what you are going through. I am in New York and your in Dallas and yet your telling me that my situation isn't true. Other than that it is a really nice job with a few sour grapes.
Pros
Free food at rest tsops with gus bus card, free rides, travel to different states, and good benefits.
Cons
On-call, might get stuck in a state, always packing a bag, seniority based, and the dispatchers
Productive and energetic workplace with friendly co-workers
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2012
a typical day at work was clocking in getting my till and going to my cashier station. most of my shifts were third shift/overnights i learned that you may have to stretch a lot beyond your physical means. sometimes when managers were not present i would be the acting manager and perform the managerial duties. the hardest part of the job was i would be totally alone at times and had to be the cook,cashier,janitor, basically do everything that a 5 man job required, but those were also the most enjoyable times because i got the job done at my pace with no complaints from my boss or the customers and still had time to take my lunch breaks
Pros
half off lunches, two fifteen min breaks and a hour lunch great friendly co- workers
Cons
part time no union refilling cups require climbing a ladder on a 10 feet tall storage space.
Review
Operations / Customer Service/ Administration (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 7, 2012
As a Customer Service Associate and Ticket Agent for Greyhound Lines, Incorporated, I coordinated the efficient flow of daily activities, maintained records of transactions of $5000.00 per day, advised tourists and business travelers, and provided special assistance to physically disabled and hearing impaired customers, and the like.

As a result of taking on the duties and responsibilities of the former Personnel and Human Resources Administrative Assistant for Greyhound, I became the liaison between administration, employees, and customers. Specifically, I was responsible for managing and updating employee files, screening and testing applicants for hire, coordinating benefits enrollment, managing direct billing for accounts payable, and vendor accounts.

The organizational and administrative management skills I developed as a full-time employee at Greyhound quite naturally proved useful in other jobs. I learned to move quickly and efficiently at Greyhound and, as my job titles connote, to complete multifarious tasks simultaneously.
Pros
fast pace environment
Very Bad Experience
Motorcoach Operator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Every thing they tell you to recruit you is just smoke and mirrors.

You will have to beg for your pay everyday! Hope they pay it, Keep tracking it for weeks.
Try to live on the left overs after the senior drivers have manipulated the system to take all the good work.
Don't expect the union to help you. They just want your money.
After all the low pay training weeks, my pay bottomed out.
At the 3 month insurance deadline, I could not afford to take out the insurance.
Uniforms will cost about $300.00 Dry clean only.

I know you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you but this hand doesn't feed you they just use you.

I wish I had a recording of the meeting I had with Al The regional manager, I could help a lot of people from making the same mistake I did.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Too numerous to mention
I only was employed by New Jersey Transit. I was not an employee of Greyhound Lines, Inc.
Inspector - B (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2015
I retired one year and 3 months ago. Just looking for Two or Three days a week, a little something to do and extra money to do day trips.
Can be hard sometimes, but always be able to work it out.
Patients
Can and have worked on my own without management
Only one at a window at a time, first of the month is the easiest and we knew that working together at time of interview.
Getting to work and waiting for lunch, knowing that meant half of the shift was over.
I was employed by New Jersey Transit Only. They had a window for a Agent to sale tickets for daily, weekly,monthly and monthly passes
Greyhound Lines, Inc. that was their terminal.
I did not get the chance to meet the C.E.O.
I Loved my jobs at New Jersey Transit.
Very Straight Forward Job
Porter/Baggage Handler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2012
When I was initially hired, the job seems overwhelming because you have to learn routes and terminals rather quickly. Overtime things will settle down and you can relax more. Management is not always encouraging. Some workers who worked along side me got to slack off as management turned a blind eye towards this behavior. Other than that, you'll get to meet people from all across the country (because they're traveling) and hear great stories during down time. Some benefits but nothing too great. You get to travel for free via the busses, 401k, medical, etc.
Pros
meeting respectable people at times, small bonuses
Cons
loose leaf/unequal management
The PITS, NO PERSONAL LIFE
driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville,FLAugust 13, 2014
This job was the pits,as an extra board driver you have no life,your on call 24/7 and you don't nowhere your going until you reach the terminal..The OSC(OPERATIONS Support)dispatchers are rude and talk to you like your nothing and beneath them.The managers and supervisors are all liars and tell you what you won't to hear to take a run.The hardest part about this job is getting sleep and being in a different city every night,most of your co-workers are ok but some of the Sr. drivers will give you a hard time.
Pros
discounted lunches and free bus passes
Cons
short breaks, benefits
productive and fun workplace
Baggage/Ticket agent (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 6, 2015
working for greyhound was overall a great experience . meeting new people everyday and actually being able to put my customer service skills to use made me a great peoples person. although the management was a bit unorganized the greyhound team was still able to always meet requirements. the hardest part of being a part of this company i would have to say was defiantly having to work 4 or more different positions daily during one shift. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help other people with their traveling experience.
Pros
holiday parties, free traveling
Cons
short breaks, unorganized scheduling
great crew nice clean inviorment with friendly people!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 9, 2013
I want to look forward to come to work each day I wish to learn new things and perform all duty's in which I am assigned to. I would like mi coworkers to be professional and know there own duty's for which they are reasonable for. there is no hard part in a job I feel I can perform all task that needs to be done and on time. the most enjoyable part of the job would be just helping others and working as a team.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short break, healthcare
Productive and fun workplace
Sale Agent (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 24, 2014
Working here your get to interact with different people from everywhere they love to tell you about their trip wheather good or bad. The management here is great its like being around your family on the holidays some people wouild dislike that or not because your get to discuss everything that goes on. the hardest part of this job is telling the customer that we have no more seat available that doesnt always go over so well. I enjoy the smile i bring to people
Great Management/Employee relation environment but fast paced
Ticketing Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
A great employer with excellent management employee relations existing.

However, the environment was fast paced.

Will recommend to anyone who has enthusiasm and can work in a fast paced productive environment.

Co-workers were congenial

Hardest part was dealing with diverse customers who may have had a bad day.

Most enjoyable was problem solving and providing information to customers helping them resolve travel conflicts.
Pros
Free Metrocards every month, free travel to any destination the bus travels
Cons
one hr lunch a day
Very streesful
call center representative (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 12, 2015
A typical day at work is that i take anywhere from 75 to 120 calls a day. It is a post complaint office for greyhound lines. We process refunds and help customers with any troubles that they had on there trip.
My co-workers are nice and very helpful
The hardest thing about the job is hearing the customers yell, scream and curse.
What I do enjoy is talking to people and helping others.
Pros
no weeknds
Cons
low pay
a job where you see something new everyday
CSR (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2014
this is a job where you new what was entailed, you got to meet different people everyday and far the most part the people and meeting them was the most enjoyable part of your day, the co workers did their jobs minded their own business oft times but in all we were one big family, the hardest part of the job was unloading and loading the buses in time to make the scheduled departure but that just added to the fun
Pros
free travel and bonus checks
Cons
limited overtime
9 plus a hour
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 17, 2015
this job is alright for i guess short term work.It is definitely a dead end job. they are not big on promotions at all. Some of the employees have been there 5 plus years and are great workers. Despite the fact that those people are qualified for higher positions greyhound refuses to promote them and last i heard are cutting hours.
Pros
free buddy passes, and the uptown location is great for breaks
Hard work with low compensation
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2013
A typical day at work is the beginning of the day is a safety meeting. Afterwards, you start your workday with cleaning buses. Depending on the amount and scheduling would determine how quick and precise your cleaning needed to be. You have three 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. My coworkers and the relationships formed made the job enjoyable. Very few opportunities for advancement.
Pros
co workers
Cons
pay, compensation, and room for advancement
you are never home and are poor when you get home
bus driver (Former Employee) –  port authorityAugust 13, 2012
they worked me till i had an accident I am trying to find a lawyer now cause the union is garbage. They had me take the bus to a hearing in AZ by the time I made it to TX i had to go home I wasted 5 days on the road saving a worthless job
Pros
the uniform costs you 500 bucks and when they fire you they want it back
Cons
no parking even the buses get impounded
productive and a fun place to work ..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
wihle working under my supervisor my responsibilities included training other agents and providing stellar customer service.i worked doinf various projets such as cross training other agents at different locations.. directing busses and doing money transacting .and checking tickets making sure everyone was on the bus .and doing money transacting as well
Pros
was able to meet new and different people ..and loved the long hrs
Cons
n/a