Greyhound Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and productive work place/
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2015
I have had a lot of fun working for Greyhound. Every place has its ups and downs, but overall this was a nice experience that i would definitely return to if I must. I had cool co-workers who helped me with the day to day routines and taught me how to stay calm on the road. It was a fun environment and some of the people turned out to be awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the ability to travel to different places and also being able to explore if you stayed overnight. The hardest part of the job was dealing with dispatch. Never been a fan of telephone supervisors who can't see or understand what you are going through. I am in New York and your in Dallas and yet your telling me that my situation isn't true. Other than that it is a really nice job with a few sour grapes.
Pros
Free food at rest tsops with gus bus card, free rides, travel to different states, and good benefits.
Cons
On-call, might get stuck in a state, always packing a bag, seniority based, and the dispatchers
24 hour operating business
customer service (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2016
Greyhound is a company that has been around for over a hundred years, so you would think compensation for its employees would be better. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet new people daily.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
compensation, benefits, not many incentives, i.e. bonuses or company picnics, and 24 hour operation
Good
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 7, 2016
I like to work there but manager started to cut hours and then day started to get crazy. No benefits. Co-worker good nice to work with them.
Pros
Cons
ok
Fast paced learning environment
GPX-AGENT/PROFESSIONAL COACH OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 5, 2016
Greyhound lines helped me grow into a mainstreem of multi-culuralworld, with amazing benefits to follow! The managment was fair and the co-workers were absolutly fun to learn from. The hardest part
Pros
MULTI STOPS ALONG ROUTES
Cons
STRAINED WRIST
Dont do it to yourself
Coach Operator/ Greyhound Academy Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville NCJuly 3, 2015
I worked for this company for 18 years and all I got was an injury, was forced to resign, poor salary, no motivation, top down form of management, unappreciative and rude and a dangerous work environment. I drove those buses with no security and was at the mercy of the elements or disturbed passengers and we were not allowed any weapons to defend ourselves. Buses were not well maintained and if you had an issue nothing would be done. Red tape and horrid conditions all around. My one regret is that I enjoyed serving my customers so much that I gave away 18 years. Stay away
Pros
A reputation as a good driver and a CDL
Cons
healthcare, insurance, retirement plan all horrible, pay sucks
Reliable, steady job.
Professional Motorcoach Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2015
Greyhound was a great way to get my CDL B. I learned how to drive buses and really enjoyed it. Management isn't too personable but they are friendly and will help you if you really need the help.
Once you're done with training, you work on your own for the most part. The hardest part of the job is being away from home, or on the go day in and day out.
Wages are fair.
Dealing with the customers isn't difficult even if the customer is being difficult.
Pros
Travelling, fair wages, good benefits, reliable, consistent work.
Cons
Not enough home time, on call 24/7.
nice workplace
Ticket Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 3, 2016
A typical day at work has varies up and downs. I've learned the essence of being on time and correct scheduling. Our management team its ok i guess has a couple of kinks that could be worked out.
I absolutely love my co-workers the relationship i have with them is like I've known them a life time. The hardest part of my job is when we get late buses and have to reschedule hundreds of people and we don't have anything available. The thing i enjoy about my job is meeting new people from all backgrounds.
Cons
can be very stressful
Fun work place but horrible compensation
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at could vary at anytime. I had great co-workers but our customer's could ruin your day and alter your mood in an instant. I learned a lot about customer service and patience. Our management staff changed three times in thee year I worked there, but in the beginning they were great. Over time with more changes came poorer and poorer management. The hardest part about the job was the poor pay and the constant mistakes that were made bi weekly on the pay.
Pros
Great place to learn customer service patience
Cons
Compensation is Terrible.
Very relaxed environment
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 6, 2016
Dispatching Professional Drivers on a national scale, assigning equipment specific buses based upon scheduled routes, timing of routes, and contracted areas for seasonal scheduling.
Once a Dispatcher was taught how to build a schedule for an region, it was the Dispatcher's responsibility to learn how to relieve driver's and assign another to continue the route once their rest was secured according to DOT standards.
The most rewarding acquired were: knowledge of national regions which included Canada, DOT driver regulations, map readings, weather reporting, and field communications with transportation managers.
The most challenging segment of the job was rebuilding schedules and reassigning rout specific buses while still getting the customer to their destination on time.
Pros
Knowledge of ground transportation
Cons
minimal room for advancement in the company
Greyhound
TICKET AGENT (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 21, 2016
The company was alright.... but could have been better in a LOT of areas. The company isn't organized when it comes to tracking buses and staying on time. A lot of my time was spent comforting the passengers because the buses seemed as if they were never going to show up. I enjoyed my co-workers and even though it wasn't the best experience I had a manager that was amazing. The issues that always seemed to unfold were out of his hands. The higher ups seem to understand that the system that they have in place is faulty but turn away and rip off the customers in the process.
Pros
The customers, management, and the smiles knowing you changed someones day.
Cons
Late buses, overloads, frustrated customers, and the luggage.
Great Place to work
Trip Planner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2015
This was a great place to work. Management team was helpful. Little to no room for advancement. Interaction with customers were great and the available hours for shifts variety was a plus.
Pros
free passes to ride public transporation
Cons
low salary
Great Management/Employee relation environment but fast paced
Ticketing Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
A great employer with excellent management employee relations existing.

However, the environment was fast paced.

Will recommend to anyone who has enthusiasm and can work in a fast paced productive environment.

Co-workers were congenial

Hardest part was dealing with diverse customers who may have had a bad day.

Most enjoyable was problem solving and providing information to customers helping them resolve travel conflicts.
Pros
Free Metrocards every month, free travel to any destination the bus travels
Cons
one hr lunch a day
Do not go to work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2016
Worked in customer service. Main point of job was just to listen and document complaints. There did not seem to be any resolution to be offered to customers. It felt more like a hotline to calm people down than customer service. Working equipment such as computers, chairs and basic things like a microwave for employees were lacking. Management and HR were not in the same page. Personal safety was a big concern outside facility.,
Pros
Talking to people all over country.
Cons
Working environment, safety, not having tools to do job
I only was employed by New Jersey Transit. I was not an employee of Greyhound Lines, Inc.
Inspector - B (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2015
I retired one year and 3 months ago. Just looking for Two or Three days a week, a little something to do and extra money to do day trips.
Can be hard sometimes, but always be able to work it out.
Patients
Can and have worked on my own without management
Only one at a window at a time, first of the month is the easiest and we knew that working together at time of interview.
Getting to work and waiting for lunch, knowing that meant half of the shift was over.
I was employed by New Jersey Transit Only. They had a window for a Agent to sale tickets for daily, weekly,monthly and monthly passes
Greyhound Lines, Inc. that was their terminal.
I did not get the chance to meet the C.E.O.
I Loved my jobs at New Jersey Transit.
Family away from family
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2016
its great to have desirable work to perform. But it's even nicer to have desirable people performing the work. Friendly professional work environment. I learned quite a bit about how buses are tracked throughout the country and beyond...no easy task! Management team's skill level was on point. Even at high stress moments, they remained a joy to work with.
Pros
Family like atmosphere
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Was a great part time college job.
Ticket Agent (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 4, 2016
Working at the Eugene Greyhound station was a good job for me to work while attending college. I was able to work enough hours to pay bills but not so many that it interfered with my schooling. I worked with great people at my station who all worked very hard to ensure good customer satisfaction, but outside my station co-workers and supervisor, I was extremely disappointed with how the company runs itself internally. There is very little support for employees or customers to find resolution to problems. I usually had to be very creative to solve a customer issues, and sometimes had to stretch company rules and policies to their limits to do so. The level of service they promise is grossly inaccurate to the level of service they actually provide, and there are no fallback plans for general problems that arise during the course of normal business operations.
Pros
Flexable hours, good coworkers at the Eugene location.
Cons
Too many to list accurately.
Greyhound was a amazing place to work, i miss it alot i worked for them in Amarillo a couple of years and i was a ticket agent and i made lead ticket
Lead ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TexasApril 8, 2016
Great fun place to work, worked for them a few years, really loved it, the passengers and drivers were wonderful I made some really great friends I still see to this day the other employess were great! We all keep in touch! GO GREYHOUND!!!!!!!!
Pros
employee buss pass, the drivers, getting nominated and honored at faces of excellence 2015
Cons
the terminal manager
Overall a great place to work
Auto Body Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 15, 2016
The scheduling was not the best when I was there, but pay was great. The people I worked with were great. You had job security. The work was always steady.
nothing at all for the employee's to do
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAAugust 13, 2015
no benefits for the employee's in this area while I was there and you worked very hard it was commission station and the owner got, the commission and we got a rate of pay.
Pros
working for the people and assising their needs
Cons
short breaks and sometimes no breaks
I love my job
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 12, 2016
I enjoy working for this company, sure some things can be changed for the better but overall I enjoy what I do. there is nothing more to tell with any an every job you have things that good and things that's need improvement. Only thing with Greyhound they need to listen to there drivers more, the driver is the entire operation, the driver can make or break this company, if the driver is not happy it reflex on the drivers day.