Greyhound Employee Reviews

Reasonable Employment
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2016
The job pays the bills, but there are many opportunities for improvement. Supervisors' salaries are less than the pay for mechanics and working foremen, but with greater responsibilities and higher expectations. Logistics and workflow are challenging, particularly in the area of parts procurement.

On the positive side, there are a lot of good people in the organization, and there is definitely a culture that values retaining and developing employees. I have worked for far worse companies.
Pros
Stable, reliable employment
Cons
Low pay, long hours, terrible location
No advancement
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CA 92805January 4, 2017
Greyhound it was a very easy job but it has no place for advancement and no benefits. Also it doesn't work with life balance because it is a place were we have to work 6-7 days a week.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
No days off
Great management staff
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 14, 2016
I enjoyed working under the current management staff. They are very flexible with their employees. The salary is mid-range relative to nearby competitors.
Productive workplace
Airwatch MDM Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Excellent place to work,Included in all aspects of your job and career. You are given the tools to make your work life enjoyable.
Great Employees
Lead Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2016
Assisting customers in purchasing tickets, directing to proper gates and assuring they had a pleasant experience. Great company and employees, horrible management. The hardest part was notifying customers that their were no buses or drivers...not cool. The most rewarding was helping customers to reach their destinations, especially when I had to reroute them. Seeing their faces light up was amazing, i will soon not forget.
Pros
Free Trips
Cons
Late Buses, no schedules to transfer to.
Loved it
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 20, 2016
Loved working at greyhound. Great management and o workers. Went from cleaning out buses to the lead tire tech. Hardest part of the job was not having all the supplies to complete a job.
Pros
Good benefits
The Corporate Management is great!
Custondian/Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 16, 2016
They really deserve this rating as far as the higher management (Corporate) When there was a major problem going on with me being harassed on the job they didn't do me wrong, in fact they launched a major investigation and got rid of the right people. They really got their stuff together. The only feed back I like to give them is just really make sure that the lower management (managers of each individual station) is doing a good job and treating their employees right. But other than that, to the people in Corporate keep up the great work!
Pros
Corportate really do what is right by my standards.
Cons
Check on the station managers and employees more often.
an overall nice place to work
Interim Terminal Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 3, 2017
in the past Greyhound has promoted from within. you can start entry level and end up in management, flexibility and able to multitask are very important as cross training to fill in an empty position for a day or for a few hours and then return to original task.
Pros
free travel and meeting a diverse group of individuals
Cons
short or no breaks.
Yes, if you like drama
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30318December 20, 2016
One word that can sum of Greyhound... UNPROFESSIONAL! Management will sit up and gossip with their employees about other employees. Honestly speaking that's all it really is... a place of rumors and mudslinging. I guess the reason behind that is because they will truly hire anyone right off the street.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Unprofessional-ism, Gossiping
Make lots of freinds, good money, and long hours away! Stay positive and enjoy the people and travel! Lots of training required and on-going when you
Motor Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 24, 2017
Lots of work during summer and holidays! If u hustle you an make extra income on the extra-board. this job is not for everybody. If married, you can be expected to gone for several days at a time! U will get tired and they still will be calling you to work...because of a shortage of drivers in many locations. Just be aware that there are pluses and minuses to every job. If you can tolerate the minuses' you can make a tidy nest egg for yourself. There are slow periods as well, not many, but some. There you can catch a breather! I survived 25 yrs, but I worked my way up with seniority and had a regularly scheduled run for almost 24 of those years. Good Company if you don't mind working as much as they need you too.
Pros
Decent income
Cons
often overworked and tired
Good place
foreman and mechanic responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2017
I gave a previous review of this company, the company was ok to work for a lot of good people work there, the management there is not great and I do not think a lot of the people have had much experience in doing so
Good for a chance to get more experience and learn more
Greyhound Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2017
A good place to learn more about customer service and how to properly carry yourself as a Customer service representative.
Pros
Company bought lunches
Cons
Bad management, poorly engineered and no effort into employee organization
Very relaxed environment
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 6, 2016
Dispatching Professional Drivers on a national scale, assigning equipment specific buses based upon scheduled routes, timing of routes, and contracted areas for seasonal scheduling.
Once a Dispatcher was taught how to build a schedule for an region, it was the Dispatcher's responsibility to learn how to relieve driver's and assign another to continue the route once their rest was secured according to DOT standards.
The most rewarding acquired were: knowledge of national regions which included Canada, DOT driver regulations, map readings, weather reporting, and field communications with transportation managers.
The most challenging segment of the job was rebuilding schedules and reassigning rout specific buses while still getting the customer to their destination on time.
Pros
Knowledge of ground transportation
Cons
minimal room for advancement in the company
Excellent
City General Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 20, 2016
Very professional and great benefits. Its a family environment. Secure job and has the ability for growth, They have a great training and provides goo safe environment for all employees and customers.
Pros
EXecellent
Cons
No cons.
Hectic and Hilarious at times, Always worth it.
Professional Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2016
How I miss this place, how I miss this place, how I miss this place. Until I visit there after completing my last job and it's only then I understand why I most people are afraid to drive in the North East, hahaha.

All jokes aside, this place is not one nor ever been one. If you have the innate skill set, the willing tenacity, and the desire to better oneself in a company that needs only the best and can keep a cool, calm and collected mindfulness of the environment around them in an ever changing atmosphere, this place is for you. Port Authority, New York City on it's calmest days is a constant buzz of humanity's busiest individuals coming to and from work, during the holiday season it can turn into seemingly mechanical maelstrom of vehicular and train traffic. As a professional motor coach operator, you're responsible for assisting the masses in a comfortable way to navigate through the chaos in the safest and most controlled way you know how, by following Greyhound and D.O.T. standards of safe driving to get everyone home in peace. Company culture with the majority of employees is one of a very friendly and nice camaraderie overall, not to say there's no bad apples but when the stakes are so high to get everyone from one stomping ground to the next that attitude tends to develop on it's own. Also company policy (between employees only I must add) is to confront anyone with their objective behavior before involving the next man over, so that does help.

Overall, I only left here for my own reasons. My previous employers in relation to pay only barely kept me afloat on
  more... a life boat, which in turn I racked up plenty of debt to keep a roof over my head. Paid it off with Greyhound during the 2014/ 2015 holiday season but after the fact there was enough of a lull (as there is in all transportation industries, not just them) in driver run's available that the previous month's savings was paying the next month's rent with not much to spare in between. Anything else more will be in the Pro's/ Con's list below, but overall it truly was a wonderful career experience that I would highly advise to anyone from the get-go to either start off with in their driving career and stick with it or use it as a stepping stone to move up within either the Greyhound corporate and/ or the personal motor coach transportation industry.

PROS
Free hotel stays so on your first night at any hotel, I highly advise you obtain the chain membership card to earn your own rewards. 401K plan with a match and health insurance available. Union representation/ PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR UNION REPS THEY ARE YOUR ALLIES. Job stability as long as you're following the Smith 5 Key system.

CONS
You start as an Extra board operator and are on probation for the first 90 days, as such any incident during that period may have you lose your employment ASAP. You may not have a regularly scheduled run to drive for until at least a year after hiring. Currently, they're doled out on a lottery based system with preference given by seniority in the company. Some locations don't like employees from other locations and as such can make it their mission to give you as much trouble as they feel like because they can. Keep good logs to ensure good pay.
Greyhound
Biingual Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 14, 2016
Greyhound gave me the opportunity to grow as a person and in my career...I started as a Telephone Information Center (TIC) at GLI Corporate Office giving out fare and schedule information and was able to move up to Customer Service/Claims Department, Greyhound Package Express and then IT where I learned to love this field.
New supervision necessary
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Management needed a complete overhaul. The job in itself was a good position, but dealing with the confusion within management was too much.
productive
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TX 78040November 22, 2016
helping more thar 300 people a day, fast speed job and hard working co-workers. fun and responsible company. short lunch breaks and not good benefits for part time employees
Pros
fun job
Cons
short breaks
Greyhound
TICKET AGENT (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 21, 2016
The company was alright.... but could have been better in a LOT of areas. The company isn't organized when it comes to tracking buses and staying on time. A lot of my time was spent comforting the passengers because the buses seemed as if they were never going to show up. I enjoyed my co-workers and even though it wasn't the best experience I had a manager that was amazing. The issues that always seemed to unfold were out of his hands. The higher ups seem to understand that the system that they have in place is faulty but turn away and rip off the customers in the process.
Pros
The customers, management, and the smiles knowing you changed someones day.
Cons
Late buses, overloads, frustrated customers, and the luggage.
Like a vacation, love it
Greyhound Driver (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 28, 2016
When they called me in to work it was typically early morning, waiting for bus to come in. Once in I would check the bus over doing a safety pre-trip. Check the terminal for the passengers. I would call the destination of my route and the passengers would line up. I would welcome them to greyhound and gather their ticket to board the bus. The best thing I learned is that we can all work together, passengers as well as the co-workers. The people I work with were great. We would tell stories of our trip there and back. I loved to drive that is my thing I enjoyed the most as well as talking to my passengers while getting on the bus. The roughest was getting up in the wee mornings to take a 4:30 or 5:30 bus run.
Pros
meeting new people, travel free, no real route
Cons
number of hours of sleep(little), no real route

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greyhound. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval