GRID Alternatives Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent experience to learn and grow from. Excellent company to work for as well. Skills were built and still are in all areas of the field.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles AreaMay 17, 2016
Typically we will set up around 8:00 a.m., or sooner. We begin by securing a harness to the roof for safety and then begin our installation. We will get about one break each day for lunch and will take about two days for an installation. GRID also offers more learning experience from inventory prep to team leader training, and conduit bending. I enjoy all of it thoroughly!
Pros
New experience offered
Cons
Volunteer/time
Very helpful
Crew member / Voulnteer (Former Employee) –  los angeles ,caMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed working with Grid Alternatives . They are helpful and take time with every individual. Train us about safety and consistency.
great people to work with very communicative and friendly .
Solar installer-Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 4, 2016
a productive day with hard working employees getting the job done with precise measurements and safety. grid alternatives was a great experience and would like to volenteer in the future
Pros
good at everything
Educational
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
I worked as a volunteer at Grid Alternatives installing solar panels. I learned all aspects of installation. Safety was their highest priority. I loved being outside and working with my hands. The solar industry is the future and my passion. I highly value the hands on experience I received from Grid Alternatives.
Fun
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2015
It was really fun and i learned a lot. I also ate some great food provided by home-owners. I really enjoyed networking and meeting several new people.
productive and serious workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  goshen, CAJuly 13, 2015
what I have learned is that how to discover the shading analysis, and then lining the chalking line for the railings, the measurements for the modules. also how to put a stand off and then the flashing on top. then the L-foot is put on for the railings. if the railings are to short, there's a rail splice that are added to it to support two railings. Then u add copper wire to each railing that has a ground connect, then u add the modules. To support the modules, u add a mid-clamp to keep it steady. once one is secured every module would be easy to install on top of the railings. so when the modules are placed, the combiner box is installed, then we add EMT/ conduit raceways to the inverter, then to the net meter, then to house and then its connected to the grid.
Great organization with impactful mission
TEAM LEADER (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2015
Training volunteers in electrical distribution and PV installation 3 days a week. Everyone working at GRID has a great attitude and the organization itself embodies equal opportunity and high morale.
Pros
Making a difference in the local community
Cons
Work flow and processes need improvement.
Impactful non-profit
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 25, 2015
A place where you can make a real impact and feel truly appreciated. As a volunteer you are constantly able to learn and expand your skills in a highly supportive environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Great Team and work environment
Team Leader/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Carson, CaliforniaMarch 26, 2015
Grid Alternatives provides an helpful and knowledgeable work place, with of like minded co-workers. While the work is demanding, at the end of the day it is fulfilling.
volunteer position
SOLAR INSTALLER (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 2, 2015
Grid Alternatives is excellent organization for getting in to entry level volunteer solar jobs, leads for solar companies, networking with people of all industries
Pros
learn about new solar technology
Cons
volunteer positions only ....
Great organization compiled of exceptional individuals
Solar Installation Supervisor/System Designer (Current Employee) –  Central, CAAugust 18, 2014
Great place to work. Awesome work/life balance. Great place to learn.
Providing a service to the community.
GIS Intern/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 14, 2013
I was an intern at GRID Alternatives, and really enjoyed my time there. They gave me an opportunity to make use of the technical skills I obtained in college and put them to use in a real life setting, answering tough questions and helping them find answers that could be used to better streamline their outreach efforts. I'm very proud of the work I was able to do for GRID, and I feel that they are truly providing a great service to both the community and the environment.
Productive and fun place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 2, 2013
I learned many grid!!. Layout, finding rafters, setting rails, connecting micro inverters..Etc...
Working outside in sunny san diego is the best!!!!!!!!
Ground and Roof Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2013
Happy and ready to work
Everything about solar install
Supervisors are the best
Excellent to work with
Was leaving
Getting to work
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough work
I enjoyed the work because it was a very enthusiastic enviroment
Solar Installer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, Goshen, Fresno, Clovis and PortervilleMay 20, 2013
I've learned a lot from the volunteer work that i have done with Grid Alternatives; Safety, protecting the roof, locating rafters, racking assembly, conduit bending etc. The company employees are a fun and interesting group to work with. The hardest part of the job is keeping from getting sunburned. My favorite part of the job is enjoying the diverse food that the different customers offer for lunch every day.
Pros
i get to work with atleast one bew person every day
Cons
its only volunteer work for me so there is no pay
Great Solar Non-profit
Volunteer & Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2013
If you want to learn the basics about Solar PV Installation, this is the place for you! The staff is very friendly and will help you in achieving your learning objectives. You can volunteer and use the knowledge to land a green job.
Pros
excellent staff, vacation, benefits
Cons
low pay
Productive Workplace
Project & Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 21, 2012
I worked as an AmeriCorps VISTA with GRID Alternatives as a Development Associate. As a Development Associate, most of my day was focused on creating new opportunities for funding for the Central Valley office of GRID Alternatives. A majority of the projects that I worked on were ideas that I suggested to the Regional Director of the Central Valley Office. This helped me to understand the importance of follow through and gave me the confidence to present my ideas knowing that I could carry them out.

Management encouraged their employees to be involved in the total process of assisting homeowners in receiving solar energy. Everyone in the office assisted other departments in the office if the help was needed, which inspired a team atmosphere. I attended job fairs & college fairs to promote the mission of GRID Alternatives and also to encourage members of the community to volunteer their time.

This job also provided me with my first opportunity to deal with a difficult co-worker. It was definitely a struggle at first, but as the year continued, I learned to not take things personal. This change in attitude helped to change the atmosphere for our department, although the co-worker still provided many challenges for the office & its employees.

The hardest part of the job was working as a AmeriCorps VISTA because of the salary and absence of health insurance.
Pros
team atmosphere, good boss, valued creativity & hard work
Cons
healthcare, stability
The team leaders are the greatest grid alternatives loves everyone who sweats and works for them.
volunteer solar installer (Former Employee) –  Riverside CAMay 14, 2012
The best and most valuable organization around to work for, as a volunteer its great how they have patience with their workers their objective is for you to suceed and tell me who? doesnt love that.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
none what so ever
É uma empresa que realmente acredita na missão e vive a cultura
Estagiária em Vendas de Painel Solar (Former Employee) –  Atascadero, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Esta empresa tem uma missão incentivadora de um bom trabalho, uma vez que promove a produção de energia solar para familias de baixa renda nos Estados Unidos. O grupo de trabalho é como uma família que está sempre interada e comprometida com afazeres mas também preza pelo balanço trabalho-vida pessoal. Há uma liberdade na atuação entre departamentos que me permitiu aprender um pouco de cada área envolvida nas atividades da GRID alternatives, da gerência a vendas e instalações.
Pros
carpooling, flexible schedule
Cons
por ser non-profit há limitações salariais

4.8