GRID Alternatives Employee Reviews

fun and educational place to work for
Solar Installer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2017
on a typical day on this job we usually look at the design of the layout , prepare for the install. I learned the whole aspect of installing solar modules.
Pros
free lunch, good learning experience
Cons
you sometime have to work in high heat
Worked in fast-paced environment.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 22, 2017
Great place to start! Lots of interesting work and you can learn a lot. Lots of tasks that come up and people are all very into the overall philosophy of the company.
Great opportunity
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Fresco caApril 24, 2017
It's great way to learn the process of solar installation in residential learn the basics for install PV systems. Learn how to work as a team by taking care of each other.
Great Mission and Great People!
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 4, 2017
GRID is a great place to work. All of the people who come to work here really care about the mission and about each other. They work hard and they play hard! Management really cares about staff and has helped the company grow quickly while maintaining a good culture. They have a really neat fellowship program and care about the growth of all of their staff. They have an annual conference where we do fun things like play human hungry hippos. The benefits are great for a nonprofit - 5 weeks vacation, full medical/dental/vision, retirement, etc. I may be a bit biased given my role but I've worked here for 7 years (and we have at least 40 staff who've been here 5+) so I think that really says something about our culture.
Pros
fun people, cook offs, good benefits, powerful mission
great place to work
Volunteer Solar Installer (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 3, 2017
its a fun and great place to work, as well as learn. Its a good place to get a good running start into the green energy career field. it has alot of great aspects as far as helping to develop leaders and teamwork.
Good Crew Leaders and crews workers
Volunteer Photovoltaic Installer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA, Reedley CA, Parlier CAMarch 27, 2017
It was all volunteer work. The crews I was put on were very good to work with. Crew leads worked with you making sure your work was 100 percent. The job wasn't hard we kepted good communication and help one another which made it easy.
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer - Solar Installer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Was a place to volunteer with friends and learning how to install Solar onto a residential home. Most of the time you would be leading helping the solar supervisor teach.
great volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 11, 2017
they show you how to really know how to work the trade by teaching you as fast as you can or are willing to learn. they also act like as if you were an employee when you are just volunteering.
Pros
good experience
Cons
they are not always hiring
Excellent company with a supportive staff
SolarCorps Volunteer and Training Fellow (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 16, 2016
A great company for anybody who is looking to enter the solar industry. A friendly,supportive and talented staff that will help you achieve your goals. A start up feel with room to be creative and bring ideas to the table.
Pros
Great staff, friendly enviroment
Cons
Poor on-board process and a start up feel may make some people feel frustrated
Solar workforce development
Volunteer solar installer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2016
Grid Alternatives put solar power on low income housing for free and provides hands on training for people wishing to learn about the solar industry. The overall effect on communities is extremely positive.
Productive and motivating team
Solarcorps Outreach Fellow (Current Employee) –  1338 S Flower st Los Angeles, CaliforniaSeptember 14, 2016
A typical day at work would be for me to check all upcoming projects to verify all steps have been followed to ensure an efficient installation.
I've learned how to navigate around Salesforce to track all steps leading to an installation and work efficiently with a great team.
Management at this great company is definitely inspiring to one's career.
My team at Grid Alternatives has motivated me to follow my dream in renewable energy and pursue what makes me happy.
The hardest part of this job would be getting all departments within the organization, and even other offices, to run efficiently.
The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that every installation is a step closer to our mission of helping communities that need it most.
Pros
Organization retreats
great pizza and work enviroment
Solar installer (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAAugust 4, 2016
fast pace and hot work place , very limited to space and alot of pizzas being made and to top it all of free pizza and bread sticks
Pros
free lunch
Cons
exposure to oven
perfect environment to gain solar panels experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 16, 2016
- nice group work
- gain the knowledge of group leading
- learn more about solar panels how they are installed and designed
Excellent experience to learn and grow from. Excellent company to work for as well. Skills were built and still are in all areas of the field.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles AreaMay 17, 2016
Typically we will set up around 8:00 a.m., or sooner. We begin by securing a harness to the roof for safety and then begin our installation. We will get about one break each day for lunch and will take about two days for an installation. GRID also offers more learning experience from inventory prep to team leader training, and conduit bending. I enjoy all of it thoroughly!
Pros
New experience offered
Cons
Volunteer/time
Very helpful
Crew member / Voulnteer (Former Employee) –  los angeles ,caMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed working with Grid Alternatives . They are helpful and take time with every individual. Train us about safety and consistency.
great people to work with very communicative and friendly .
Solar installer-Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 4, 2016
a productive day with hard working employees getting the job done with precise measurements and safety. grid alternatives was a great experience and would like to volenteer in the future
Pros
good at everything
Educational
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
I worked as a volunteer at Grid Alternatives installing solar panels. I learned all aspects of installation. Safety was their highest priority. I loved being outside and working with my hands. The solar industry is the future and my passion. I highly value the hands on experience I received from Grid Alternatives.
Fun
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2015
It was really fun and i learned a lot. I also ate some great food provided by home-owners. I really enjoyed networking and meeting several new people.
productive and serious workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  goshen, CAJuly 13, 2015
what I have learned is that how to discover the shading analysis, and then lining the chalking line for the railings, the measurements for the modules. also how to put a stand off and then the flashing on top. then the L-foot is put on for the railings. if the railings are to short, there's a rail splice that are added to it to support two railings. Then u add copper wire to each railing that has a ground connect, then u add the modules. To support the modules, u add a mid-clamp to keep it steady. once one is secured every module would be easy to install on top of the railings. so when the modules are placed, the combiner box is installed, then we add EMT/ conduit raceways to the inverter, then to the net meter, then to house and then its connected to the grid.
Great organization with impactful mission
TEAM LEADER (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2015
Training volunteers in electrical distribution and PV installation 3 days a week. Everyone working at GRID has a great attitude and the organization itself embodies equal opportunity and high morale.
Pros
Making a difference in the local community
Cons
Work flow and processes need improvement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GRID Alternatives. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7