Griffin Hospital Employee Reviews

the best
Chief Engineer / Asst. Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTApril 6, 2015
The best group of GUYS i ever worked for, everybody worked together to get jobs done. at one point we had free medical care as long as you used the hospital.
Pros
free medical
Cons
a lot of hours & responsibility but acceptable in the end
Great Place to Work
Transport (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTNovember 15, 2014
checking special diets and patients who need transport around the facility. i learned how to multitask in a comfortable manner. the co- workers were all great people. The hardest part of the job was not knowing where to go. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting many new people
Pros
great enviornment
Cons
n/a
Political
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTOctober 14, 2014
There were a lot of double standards there. I loved me job description and the job I did. Management throughout the company was horrendous. For that reason alone I would not have wanted that place to be my retirement.
Pros
uniform
Cons
management
Overall, Griffin Hospital was a great place to work, i really learned most of my skills working for them.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTSeptember 22, 2014
I worked two different positions over the years. I first worked 2nd shift .My employment was ended (laid off with severance package) while I was a 1st shift "road phleb".
A typical day was obtaining specimens and entering them into the system (Meditech), then delivering them to the various departments they belonged in.
My manager was a very professional gentleman. He was fair and easy to go to with any situation. And I had wonderful co-workers I still talk to til this day.
The hardest part of my job was obtaining blood from newborns, not the draws, but the new parents and their anxiety. It was hard on them emotionally. I was effective in calming their worries.
On the flip side, I loved working with children, even though they were coming for blood work, throat cultures, etc. I was able to engage the parents and with their cooperation, obtain the specimen, sometimes without the child even realizing it.
Pros
great benifits, great co-workers
Cons
trying to figure out a doctor handwriting to do the correct tests.
Quick on my feet`
Lead Crisis Clinician (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTAugust 16, 2014
A typical day is usually very busy, you need to think quick on your feet while taking peoples lives in your hands. I love what I do, and what I do is to help people when they are at their lowest and it feels good to be able to point someone in the right direction.

Every day is a new day never the same as yesterday.
Best place to work.
Information Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby CTAugust 2, 2014
Wonderful! Great Co-workers, positive environment. I love Griffin Hospital, it has allowed me to grow and learn more than i ever imagined.
A hospital work environment
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 19, 2014
A typical work day included portable x-rays in all areas of the hospital, C-arm in the operation room,, GI studies, ER x-rays, pain management fluoroscopy, venograms, and performing in-house and out-house x-rays. My co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was when I would have to perform x-rays that were physically demanding and difficult to obtain quality radiographs with nobody to be there to help. The most enjoyable part of this joy was making my patients smile and having the privilege to get them to smile and brighten their day for just a while.
Best place to work
rn (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 14, 2014
Everything about Griffin is amazing. everyone smiles and is pleasant. I left and wish I never had, but I moved. I compare every hospital to griffin and yet griffin wins hands down. im planning on moving back to CT just so I can be there again. I love it there. it's home.
Pros
employee recognition, food, pay, management, hours.
Cons
nothing
Fast paced/busy
Griffin Faculty Practice Plan (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 2, 2014
Working with Griffin Hospital has been a privilege. My typical day at work would consist of entering charges for multiple departments, appealing claims, posting payments, running a collections and AR report. I have learned so many different techniques and skills to use in my work such as excel, etc. my co-workers were a pleasure working with. We all worked as a team and got everything done responsibly, accurately and timly.
Busy emergency room with caring focus
Emergency Department Nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTApril 26, 2014
Philosophy of high quality care is evident and professionals seek to provide the best care in a nurturing environment.
pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 26, 2014
I worked in the inpatient pharmacy to prepare medication for the patience under the guidance and supervision of the pharmacist.
Fun place to work.
Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJanuary 17, 2014
Very helpful employees. My first sterile processing experience. I had a very informative trainer.
Great place to work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTDecember 8, 2013
Everyday was a new task and challenge. I learned how to be more productive, outgoing, and responsible.
Great People, Not So Great Pay
Multi-Skilled Technician (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTAugust 20, 2013
Hospital is spotless and smaller departments give a feeling of family and comrodery not felt in larger facilities. However!!! Pay is FAR below standard for Nurses, AIDEs/Techs, and other staff that actually runs the hospital
Pros
great staff, clean environment, great cafe
Cons
very low pay!
It is a pleasant/planetree work enviroment.
Cardiology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTAugust 6, 2013
At Griffin Hospital a typical work day consists of greeting patients as they come in, setting up for daily testing, pulling schedules and charts as needed, checking printers for any add-on tests and prepare for each test appropriately. I set up the patients and stress lab for doctor then assist the doctors with stress tests. I also have to make sure all medications are logged, not expired and secured at all times and check defibrillator everyday to be sure it is in working order. Also have to check the temperature of the refrigerator where other medications are stored.
While working at Griffin Hospital I have learned to read EKG's, scan Holter Monitors, check pace makers and Stress Testing.
Co-workers are always a pleasure to be around and we all help each other if needed.
The hardest part of the day I would have to say is trying to keep everyone on the same schedule when you're working with 2-3 different departments.
But the most enjoyable part of any day would be when my patient is having a test and they say "thank you for taking the time for me". Most patients come in anxious about the test because the unknown can be scary, but I found if you just take a couple extra minutes to really explain the test to the patient their anxiety levels will come down from a 10 to a 1 or a 2. Knowing that I had something to do with that makes me feel like I did my job for the day. Comfort is everything and patients appreciate it.
Pros
love to get up in the morning to go to work
Cons
not enough hours and no advancement in position
Planetree headquarters full of favoritism and nepotism
Planetree Headquarters (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 11, 2013
I worked for Planetree and quickly discovered it to be a group of unbelievably overcompensated consultants. Middle management is very cutthroat. Hiring of unqualified friends of employee lead to poor morale and blatant favoritism. They do not practice what they so greedily preach. I hope they go under.
Pros
good cafeteria
Cons
nepotism, favoritism, bullying
A benchmark example of Patient Centered care
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTApril 18, 2013
Working at Griffin Hospital gives new insight to the world of healthcare. It has taught its employees to put patients first, and every employee is capable of making a positive impression on the experience the patient has during what can be a vulnerable time.
Won Top 100 Places to Work Award ten years in a row.
Printing Services (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTMarch 30, 2013
Great place to work, no room for advancement in my department. Other than that I would stay until retirement.
An "at home" environment that puts staff and patients at ease
Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTMarch 14, 2013
Griffin Hospital is a small, community hospital that prides itself on its homestyle feel. When you walk into Griffin, your immediate thought is not of a hospital, but of relaxation and healing.

This is mainly the reason why most patient's in the Connecticut Valley choose Griffin. It is often described as "friends and neighbors taking care of friends and neighbors."

All employees of Griffin are expected to abide by the Plaintree way of healing. This philosophy treats not just the patient and his or her ailments, but also the patient as a person. Paying attention to the patients comfort and privacy, and understanding that for a person to heal completely, you must treat them as a person, not just a patient, is what Griffin is all about.

Working at Griffin Hospital has taught me that although I may be busy and have several patients waiting for a test, the one patient in my room is the most important, and taking extra time with that particular patient will go a long way. I was often thanked for being so patient and never rushing someone because I was busy.

While my own patience was never overlooked, it was often a difficult part of my day. To do a thorough exam and be sure I have completely viewed each organ, and never rushing the patient that maybe needs more time getting changed, all while knowing I have several more patients waiting tends to be stressful. Thankfully, I learned superb time management skills and ways to keep the stress levels down to a manageable level.
Horrible
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Derby, CtMarch 2, 2013
I have been working at Griffin for over 10 years. The place was good at one time, but has taken a turn for the worst. Instead of hiring their own people for jobs posted, they will hire from the outside first. There is no PLANETREE with the way that employees treat each other. Management is a joke, the pay is terrible and the health insurance is getting to be expensive. Dont come here for work unless you dont mind collecting unemployment soon because the hospital will most likely close OR be bought out !
Pros
good healthy food in the cafe. very beautiful hospital
Cons
short staffed, overworked employees, horrible management