Griffin Hospital

Griffin Hospital Employer Reviews

Political
Security Officer (Former Employee), Derby, CTOctober 14, 2014
Pros: uniform
Cons: management
There were a lot of double standards there. I loved me job description and the job I did. Management throughout the company was horrendous. For that reason alone I would not have wanted that place to be my retirement.
Overall, Griffin Hospital was a great place to work, i really learned most of my skills working for them.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Derby, CTSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: great benifits, great co-workers
Cons: trying to figure out a doctor handwriting to do the correct tests.
I worked two different positions over the years. I first worked 2nd shift .My employment was ended (laid off with severance package) while I was a 1st shift "road phleb".
A typical day was obtaining specimens and entering them into the system (Meditech), then delivering them to the various departments they belonged in.
My manager was a very professional – more... gentleman. He was fair and easy to go to with any situation. And I had wonderful co-workers I still talk to til this day.
The hardest part of my job was obtaining blood from newborns, not the draws, but the new parents and their anxiety. It was hard on them emotionally. I was effective in calming their worries.
On the flip side, I loved working with children, even though they were coming for blood work, throat cultures, etc. I was able to engage the parents and with their cooperation, obtain the specimen, sometimes without the child even realizing it. – less
Quick on my feet`
Lead Crisis Clinician (Current Employee), Derby, CTAugust 16, 2014
A typical day is usually very busy, you need to think quick on your feet while taking peoples lives in your hands. I love what I do, and what I do is to help people when they are at their lowest and it feels good to be able to point someone in the right direction.

Every day is a new day never the same as yesterday.
Best place to work.
Information Security Manager (Current Employee), Derby CTAugust 2, 2014
Wonderful! Great Co-workers, positive environment. I love Griffin Hospital, it has allowed me to grow and learn more than i ever imagined.
A hospital work environment
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Derby, CTJuly 19, 2014
A typical work day included portable x-rays in all areas of the hospital, C-arm in the operation room,, GI studies, ER x-rays, pain management fluoroscopy, venograms, and performing in-house and out-house x-rays. My co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was when I would have to perform x-rays that were physically demanding and difficult – more... to obtain quality radiographs with nobody to be there to help. The most enjoyable part of this joy was making my patients smile and having the privilege to get them to smile and brighten their day for just a while. – less
Best place to work
rn (Former Employee), Derby, CTJuly 14, 2014
Pros: employee recognition, food, pay, management, hours.
Cons: nothing
Everything about Griffin is amazing. everyone smiles and is pleasant. I left and wish I never had, but I moved. I compare every hospital to griffin and yet griffin wins hands down. im planning on moving back to CT just so I can be there again. I love it there. it's home.
Fast paced/busy
Griffin Faculty Practice Plan (Current Employee), Derby, CTJuly 2, 2014
Working with Griffin Hospital has been a privilege. My typical day at work would consist of entering charges for multiple departments, appealing claims, posting payments, running a collections and AR report. I have learned so many different techniques and skills to use in my work such as excel, etc. my co-workers were a pleasure working with. We all – more... worked as a team and got everything done responsibly, accurately and timly. – less
Busy emergency room with caring focus
Emergency Department Nurse (Former Employee), Derby, CTApril 26, 2014
Philosophy of high quality care is evident and professionals seek to provide the best care in a nurturing environment.
pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Derby, CTFebruary 26, 2014
I worked in the inpatient pharmacy to prepare medication for the patience under the guidance and supervision of the pharmacist.
Fun place to work.
Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee), Derby, CTJanuary 17, 2014
Very helpful employees. My first sterile processing experience. I had a very informative trainer.
Great place to work.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Derby, CTDecember 8, 2013
Everyday was a new task and challenge. I learned how to be more productive, outgoing, and responsible.
Great People, Not So Great Pay
Multi-Skilled Technician (Current Employee), Derby, CTAugust 20, 2013
Pros: great staff, clean environment, great cafe
Cons: very low pay!
Hospital is spotless and smaller departments give a feeling of family and comrodery not felt in larger facilities. However!!! Pay is FAR below standard for Nurses, AIDEs/Techs, and other staff that actually runs the hospital
It is a pleasant/planetree work enviroment.
Cardiology Assistant (Current Employee), Derby, CTAugust 6, 2013
Pros: love to get up in the morning to go to work
Cons: not enough hours and no advancement in position
At Griffin Hospital a typical work day consists of greeting patients as they come in, setting up for daily testing, pulling schedules and charts as needed, checking printers for any add-on tests and prepare for each test appropriately. I set up the patients and stress lab for doctor then assist the doctors with stress tests. I also have to make sure – more... all medications are logged, not expired and secured at all times and check defibrillator everyday to be sure it is in working order. Also have to check the temperature of the refrigerator where other medications are stored.
While working at Griffin Hospital I have learned to read EKG's, scan Holter Monitors, check pace makers and Stress Testing.
Co-workers are always a pleasure to be around and we all help each other if needed.
The hardest part of the day I would have to say is trying to keep everyone on the same schedule when you're working with 2-3 different departments.
But the most enjoyable part of any day would be when my patient is having a test and they say "thank you for taking the time for me". Most patients come in anxious about the test because the unknown can be scary, but I found if you just take a couple extra minutes to really explain the test to the patient their anxiety levels will come down from a 10 to a 1 or a 2. Knowing that I had something to do with that makes me feel like I did my job for the day. Comfort is everything and patients appreciate it. – less
Planetree headquarters full of favoritism and nepotism
Planetree Headquarters (Former Employee), Derby, CTMay 11, 2013
Pros: good cafeteria
Cons: nepotism, favoritism, bullying
I worked for Planetree and quickly discovered it to be a group of unbelievably overcompensated consultants. Middle management is very cutthroat. Hiring of unqualified friends of employee lead to poor morale and blatant favoritism. They do not practice what they so greedily preach. I hope they go under.
A benchmark example of Patient Centered care
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee), Derby, CTApril 18, 2013
Working at Griffin Hospital gives new insight to the world of healthcare. It has taught its employees to put patients first, and every employee is capable of making a positive impression on the experience the patient has during what can be a vulnerable time.
why are these people lieing this is the worst place to work .
er nurse (Current Employee), derbyApril 3, 2013
Disrespect from purchasing manger has people in basement not value job.I seen the whole basement staff go from happy bright young workers to I hate my life all cause one man with a power trip aggressively argue with men and women until proven he's right .ruining planetree from the bottom up .mangers words to staff are nevwr postive I wish staff would – more... come forward .no one should be treated like I seen.MR Charmel should take action on this aboard sweat shop disrespect attitude he's getting from a purchasing manger .I worked here 8 years and never seen so many people cry cause of one man who in fact has no reason to talk to any staff that's the supervisor job .I don't wanna hurt the hospitals bad name already but I care more about the people and there not being treat like humans. – less
Won Top 100 Places to Work Award ten years in a row.
Printing Services (Current Employee), Derby, CTMarch 30, 2013
Great place to work, no room for advancement in my department. Other than that I would stay until retirement.
An "at home" environment that puts staff and patients at ease
Sonographer (Current Employee), Derby, CTMarch 14, 2013
Griffin Hospital is a small, community hospital that prides itself on its homestyle feel. When you walk into Griffin, your immediate thought is not of a hospital, but of relaxation and healing.

This is mainly the reason why most patient's in the Connecticut Valley choose Griffin. It is often described as "friends and neighbors taking care of friends – more... and neighbors."

All employees of Griffin are expected to abide by the Plaintree way of healing. This philosophy treats not just the patient and his or her ailments, but also the patient as a person. Paying attention to the patients comfort and privacy, and understanding that for a person to heal completely, you must treat them as a person, not just a patient, is what Griffin is all about.

Working at Griffin Hospital has taught me that although I may be busy and have several patients waiting for a test, the one patient in my room is the most important, and taking extra time with that particular patient will go a long way. I was often thanked for being so patient and never rushing someone because I was busy.

While my own patience was never overlooked, it was often a difficult part of my day. To do a thorough exam and be sure I have completely viewed each organ, and never rushing the patient that maybe needs more time getting changed, all while knowing I have several more patients waiting tends to be stressful. Thankfully, I learned superb time management skills and ways to keep the stress levels down to a manageable level. – less
Horrible
Clerical (Current Employee), Derby, CtMarch 2, 2013
Pros: good healthy food in the cafe. very beautiful hospital
Cons: short staffed, overworked employees, horrible management
I have been working at Griffin for over 10 years. The place was good at one time, but has taken a turn for the worst. Instead of hiring their own people for jobs posted, they will hire from the outside first. There is no PLANETREE with the way that employees treat each other. Management is a joke, the pay is terrible and the health insurance is getting – more... to be expensive. Dont come here for work unless you dont mind collecting unemployment soon because the hospital will most likely close OR be bought out ! – less
Excellent Faculty Practice
Member of the Griffin Faculty Practice (Current Employee), Derby, CTFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: autonomy, great office staff and practice and patients
Cons: distance from home
Excellent Faculty Practice. I am a solo practioner at the Shelton CT officewhich is a part of the Griffin Hospital System in Derby, CT
Independence and Autonomy, primary care, prevention focused.
Excellent schedule and staff.
I am the "provider of choice" for my patients in the Shelton, CT community.