Griffin Hospital Employee Reviews

Short staffed in most departments
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTSeptember 12, 2016
Working at Griffin was nice at one time. Everyone now is so stressed and cranky because there is not enough staff in most areas.

Management does not want to hear the negative. Some employees can get away with murder, others do one thing wrong and they will never hear the end of it.

The ER has some serious problems. They can't keep nurses because of poor management , and one twisted individual.

The food is excellent in the cafe. Health benefits are great, BUT pay is not so great.

The place is pretty to look at
Pros
Good healthy food, nice staff in pharmacy
Cons
Overworked short staffed
Safe and high functioning patient environment
Multi Skilled Tech (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 30, 2016
As a technician in the ER it is very important to have the proper time management skills and I've learned to adapt to different behaviors of patients to properly tend to their needs.I am lucky enough to have had a great bunch of co-workers whom usually stepped in to help on certain tasks . The best part of healthcare for me is helping and watching someone get better.
Pros
short work week
Cons
short breaks
Central Sterile Department is a JOKE!
Central Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTAugust 26, 2016
I worked in Central Sterile at this hospital and I can tell by experience that it's a Joke. The department is still in the dark ages and management is horrible.

I don't know how the rest of the Hospital is, but I will tell you, stay away from Central Sterile. You will be wasting your time

You been warmed!!!!!
Pros
Orientation is phenomenal
Cons
Management is questionable
Staff closeness and support
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 1, 2016
Great place to work. Looked forward to coming to work. Patients over medicated by psychiatrist, creating med seeking behaviors. Would like to have behavioral modification implemented but the rule of thumb was to make the patients happy. Otherwise it was rewarding.
Great benefits
Customer Service and Security (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTSeptember 17, 2016
Amazing place to work where you always feel welcomed and great benefits.The people throughout the company are always friendly and helpful.
Productive and friendly workplace
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 26, 2016
In the Griffin Hospital Outpatient laboratory, they were all very friendly. They all helped in aiding me throughout my time in clinical. They answered any and every question that I had and made sure I was comfortable during my clinical stay.
Pros
friendliness
Cons
No cons
Unproductive Workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 20, 2015
The management is unhelpful if not nonexistent. I loved helping patients, and the interaction with guests was the best part of my job. I love putting a smile on a patient's face or doing that little extra to make them feel better. Many coworkers felt the same, however we were hindered by the administration's inability to help us help the patients. The higher ups are very against change, and anything new that would rock the boat, especially if it affects their bottom line.

The food is good though.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Terrible work environment
A hospital work environment
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 19, 2014
A typical work day included portable x-rays in all areas of the hospital, C-arm in the operation room,, GI studies, ER x-rays, pain management fluoroscopy, venograms, and performing in-house and out-house x-rays. My co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was when I would have to perform x-rays that were physically demanding and difficult to obtain quality radiographs with nobody to be there to help. The most enjoyable part of this joy was making my patients smile and having the privilege to get them to smile and brighten their day for just a while.
Fast paced/busy
Griffin Faculty Practice Plan (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 2, 2014
Working with Griffin Hospital has been a privilege. My typical day at work would consist of entering charges for multiple departments, appealing claims, posting payments, running a collections and AR report. I have learned so many different techniques and skills to use in my work such as excel, etc. my co-workers were a pleasure working with. We all worked as a team and got everything done responsibly, accurately and timly.
Multi Skilled Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 25, 2012
The management there is amazing! There are so many oppertunities to learn, they are constantly educating thier employees and making sure that they can be the best they can be! Everyone is great. The only problem is that they are very short staffed so a lot of times ur put alone on the floor, without another MST to split the work load with. But because of this there are always great opportunities for overtime!
Pros
great staff, and your constantly being educated!
Cons
short staffed so you work alone quite a bit
Awful workplace
Hospital employee (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTNovember 19, 2012
Working at Griffin Hospital started out great but over the past year it has done a 360 and now many of the employees hate working there.
Huron was brought in to help the hospital due a turnaround since they are bleeding money. All that Huron accomplished in doing was wrecking the work environment and causing morale to take a big dive but they left with fat wallets.
Management treats the employees very unprofessionally and in a demeaning manner. I am currently looking for work elsewhere but I regret coming to work at the place that once was one of the Best place to work.
Cons
low pay, awful parking, awful morale.
Great place
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 21, 2013
Griffin is a slower paced place then most and takes time to adjust. The biggest thing that brings this place down is the management team that holds hours so they can get bonuses at the end of the year. I see this happen all the time and it never is good since things go untouched and get filthy for days. If they started caring more about getting more hours and people there daily this place would have no problems at all.
Pros
gym, people that you get to see everyday and meet and help
Cons
managment to busy to care and make sure things are done right the first time.
Horrible
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Derby, CtMarch 2, 2013
I have been working at Griffin for over 10 years. The place was good at one time, but has taken a turn for the worst. Instead of hiring their own people for jobs posted, they will hire from the outside first. There is no PLANETREE with the way that employees treat each other. Management is a joke, the pay is terrible and the health insurance is getting to be expensive. Dont come here for work unless you dont mind collecting unemployment soon because the hospital will most likely close OR be bought out !
Pros
good healthy food in the cafe. very beautiful hospital
Cons
short staffed, overworked employees, horrible management
the best
Chief Engineer / Asst. Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTApril 6, 2015
The best group of GUYS i ever worked for, everybody worked together to get jobs done. at one point we had free medical care as long as you used the hospital.
Pros
free medical
Cons
a lot of hours & responsibility but acceptable in the end
Excellent Faculty Practice
Member of the Griffin Faculty Practice (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 22, 2013
Excellent Faculty Practice. I am a solo practioner at the Shelton CT officewhich is a part of the Griffin Hospital System in Derby, CT
Independence and Autonomy, primary care, prevention focused.
Excellent schedule and staff.
I am the "provider of choice" for my patients in the Shelton, CT community.
Pros
autonomy, great office staff and practice and patients
Cons
distance from home
Planetree headquarters full of favoritism and nepotism
Planetree Headquarters (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 11, 2013
I worked for Planetree and quickly discovered it to be a group of unbelievably overcompensated consultants. Middle management is very cutthroat. Hiring of unqualified friends of employee lead to poor morale and blatant favoritism. They do not practice what they so greedily preach. I hope they go under.
Pros
good cafeteria
Cons
nepotism, favoritism, bullying
Great Place to Work
Transport (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTNovember 15, 2014
checking special diets and patients who need transport around the facility. i learned how to multitask in a comfortable manner. the co- workers were all great people. The hardest part of the job was not knowing where to go. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting many new people
Pros
great enviornment
Cons
n/a
Understaffed & overworked
Multi Skilled Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby crNovember 5, 2012
During my 8 yrs there its a lot of who u know and as long as griffin looks pretty is the only real concern .clicky nurses and doctors that have little to no patients real issues . Forced to leave due to too much patient neglect without resorting to a whistle blower.alot of patient neglect .
Pros
free parking
Cons
patient neglect
Quick on my feet`
Lead Crisis Clinician (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTAugust 16, 2014
A typical day is usually very busy, you need to think quick on your feet while taking peoples lives in your hands. I love what I do, and what I do is to help people when they are at their lowest and it feels good to be able to point someone in the right direction.

Every day is a new day never the same as yesterday.
Nursing care is very scary!
ex-employee (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 4, 2012
The nurses are very scary handling medications in ways the docs didn't order. They are kind of catty too, talking badly about patients and other staff when they think no one is looking. Sometimes even when they know someone is there, I guess just so they can 'look cool' to other people.
Pros
gorgeous environment
Cons
too many to list

2.9