Griffin Hospital Employee Reviews

Safe, friendly environment
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 5, 2017
Clinical medical assistant for the most part of the day, administrative medical assistant for some part of the day. Daily direct patient care in a friendly environment.
Caring Atmosphere for patients
Medical Assistant/Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 1, 2017
The Planetree model of caring for patients is what makes this a unique place to work. The home-like environment is wonder for the patient and as an employee. It's a great place to work.
na
Patient sitter (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 27, 2017
the hardest part of the job was working over night, the best part was learning all the medical rush in the emergency room, management was great and a typical day was a great day
work
Administrative Assistant/Dieticians Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 15, 2017
Roughly 250 pages per page in a paperback book. Word uses about 500 words a page with default font. Ergo, 150 pages on Word would roughly equal 300 pages of a published book. But this is very rough - you should go by word count. Most adult published books (from unknown authors) are 80-100k. You can go a little lower on the scale for mainstream novels, and a little higher on the scale for fantasy and/or science fiction novels.
very busy med/surg floor
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 5, 2017
It was a very busy floor. They wanted only professional workers so we lacked Nurses aides. I handled the work but felt horrible that I wasn't able to help the patients with the little things. My work load was heavy. About 13-17 patients as I worked alone. I felt bad because the extra glass of water for someone who asked was hard to deliver. I couldnt sleep at night.
Pros
I learned a lot
Cons
they lacked the help of aides or techs
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 1, 2017
Worked here for a few years. Nice enviroment to be around. The staff in all departments are very nice. can be very busy at times but the staff works great together
Excellent Hospital, caring staff
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 27, 2017
I reported to the Chief Psychiatrist who was supportive, caring, never afraid to work

I enjoyed the staff I worked with at Griffin Hospital, would never be afraid to send a family member to Griffin for help and learned much about the chronic psychiatric client and his/her needs while at Griffin

I secured the first JCAHO accreditation for the Outpatient Chemical Dependency Program, developed programming, trained staff and learned much during my employment at Griffin
Pros
Loving, caring, nursing and social service staff
Cons
Multi-Skilled Technician and Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTApril 30, 2017
Made many great friends and went to school for nursing. The hospital does not pay very well but everyone is very friendly and was close to home. As a float, able to learn different departments and more staff.
Pros
Friendly environmeny
Cons
Low pay
Planetree
Emergency Room Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJanuary 5, 2017
I learned an extensive amount regarding case management with an amazing case management team. I was able to gain a lot of experience with case management working here.
Good learning experience
Health Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJanuary 3, 2017
Learned many different skills. Worked in hostile situations. Continuously busy in office area. Worked in multi-cultured environment. It was at times a dangerous facility.
Great group of coworkers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTDecember 27, 2016
Much to learn with many opportunities. Nurse management supportive and fair. No matter what floor you work, everyone works as a team and are helpful if you are asked to float to an unfamiliar floor. Cafeteria is excellent and provides big selection.
Small community Hospital
Medcal Technologist, Generalist, Charge (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTNovember 17, 2016
Great place to work with an emphasis on outpatient lab specimens. Good workflow do to energy of evening tech coworkers. All evening techs are generalists which keeps them competent in all areas of the lab
excellent pay and benefits
Transportation Aide (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTOctober 30, 2016
very busy transporting patients to and from tests as well as admitting and discharging, deliver specimens to the lab, with great pay and benefits.
Great benefits
Customer Service and Security (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTSeptember 17, 2016
Amazing place to work where you always feel welcomed and great benefits.The people throughout the company are always friendly and helpful.
Short staffed in most departments
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTSeptember 12, 2016
Working at Griffin was nice at one time. Everyone now is so stressed and cranky because there is not enough staff in most areas.

Management does not want to hear the negative. Some employees can get away with murder, others do one thing wrong and they will never hear the end of it.

The ER has some serious problems. They can't keep nurses because of poor management , and one twisted individual.

The food is excellent in the cafe. Health benefits are great, BUT pay is not so great.

The place is pretty to look at
Pros
Good healthy food, nice staff in pharmacy
Cons
Overworked short staffed
Central Sterile Department is a JOKE!
Central Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTAugust 26, 2016
I worked in Central Sterile at this hospital and I can tell by experience that it's a Joke. The department is still in the dark ages and management is horrible.

I don't know how the rest of the Hospital is, but I will tell you, stay away from Central Sterile. You will be wasting your time

You been warmed!!!!!
Pros
Orientation is phenomenal
Cons
Management is questionable
Safe and high functioning patient environment
Multi Skilled Tech (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 30, 2016
As a technician in the ER it is very important to have the proper time management skills and I've learned to adapt to different behaviors of patients to properly tend to their needs.I am lucky enough to have had a great bunch of co-workers whom usually stepped in to help on certain tasks . The best part of healthcare for me is helping and watching someone get better.
Pros
short work week
Cons
short breaks
Staff closeness and support
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 1, 2016
Great place to work. Looked forward to coming to work. Patients over medicated by psychiatrist, creating med seeking behaviors. Would like to have behavioral modification implemented but the rule of thumb was to make the patients happy. Otherwise it was rewarding.
Productive and friendly workplace
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 26, 2016
In the Griffin Hospital Outpatient laboratory, they were all very friendly. They all helped in aiding me throughout my time in clinical. They answered any and every question that I had and made sure I was comfortable during my clinical stay.
Pros
friendliness
Cons
No cons
Unproductive Workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 20, 2015
The management is unhelpful if not nonexistent. I loved helping patients, and the interaction with guests was the best part of my job. I love putting a smile on a patient's face or doing that little extra to make them feel better. Many coworkers felt the same, however we were hindered by the administration's inability to help us help the patients. The higher ups are very against change, and anything new that would rock the boat, especially if it affects their bottom line.

The food is good though.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Terrible work environment