Griffin Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Staff closeness and support
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 1, 2016
Great place to work. Looked forward to coming to work. Patients over medicated by psychiatrist, creating med seeking behaviors. Would like to have behavioral modification implemented but the rule of thumb was to make the patients happy. Otherwise it was rewarding.
Productive and friendly workplace
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 26, 2016
In the Griffin Hospital Outpatient laboratory, they were all very friendly. They all helped in aiding me throughout my time in clinical. They answered any and every question that I had and made sure I was comfortable during my clinical stay.
Pros
friendliness
Cons
No cons
Overall, Griffin Hospital was a great place to work, i really learned most of my skills working for them.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTSeptember 22, 2014
I worked two different positions over the years. I first worked 2nd shift .My employment was ended (laid off with severance package) while I was a 1st shift "road phleb".
A typical day was obtaining specimens and entering them into the system (Meditech), then delivering them to the various departments they belonged in.
My manager was a very professional gentleman. He was fair and easy to go to with any situation. And I had wonderful co-workers I still talk to til this day.
The hardest part of my job was obtaining blood from newborns, not the draws, but the new parents and their anxiety. It was hard on them emotionally. I was effective in calming their worries.
On the flip side, I loved working with children, even though they were coming for blood work, throat cultures, etc. I was able to engage the parents and with their cooperation, obtain the specimen, sometimes without the child even realizing it.
Pros
great benifits, great co-workers
Cons
trying to figure out a doctor handwriting to do the correct tests.
Griffin: the people are great but the system is broken
Medical Assistant and Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 5, 2013
In general I truly enjoyed my coworkers and I loved the one on one time I got with the patients.
On the down side they started me off at a very low salary and there was little to no chance to improve it (example: no performance/evaluation based raises, they didn't even give me a raise when I graduated with my associates). They also froze my cost of living raise for two years... in the end, over an almost six year period of time, i only saw a 20 cent or so increase in pay. Which honestly would have been ok with me if they hadn't almost doubled my work load in that time. I started out as a unit sec for the Critical Care Unit, something I have always been extremely proud of, and ended up their full time secretary, patient aid, phlebotomist, telemetry tech, and ekg tech for a fourteen bed unit. The job was honestly more than one person could bare but I always tried my hardest. When I left to go back to school it broke my heart but it had to be done.
Pros
the majority of the people you work with are truly wonderful.
Cons
very low pay (example ccu nurse i know made only $28 after being there almost twenty years)
bad place to work for
Envoirnmental (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTDecember 21, 2011
If your a per diem, it just aint worth it working at this place. People love to screw you over on hours but if your salary or a patient at the hospital then its nice.
Pros
good benefits, percent raise
Cons
unexpected hours cut, overworked/ free labor
Unproductive Workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 20, 2015
The management is unhelpful if not nonexistent. I loved helping patients, and the interaction with guests was the best part of my job. I love putting a smile on a patient's face or doing that little extra to make them feel better. Many coworkers felt the same, however we were hindered by the administration's inability to help us help the patients. The higher ups are very against change, and anything new that would rock the boat, especially if it affects their bottom line.

The food is good though.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Terrible work environment
Overworked UNDERPAYED
Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTNovember 18, 2012
This place is a terrible place to work. Overworked underpayed. They expect more and more from employees. But employees do not see any type of increase in pay. Yet management recieves their increases. Worked there over 10 years asked for supervisor postion. No advancement..yet they still pile on the work. Even though times are tough they should really learn how to keep excellent working employees there. Revolving door there is tremendous. Very clicky place. If you are not one to be in a click they somehow push you out the door. Care in this hospital is absolutely awful. Their all involved in the Planetree philosphy yet I believe alot of the nurses and management need another leason in Planetree. Alot of the nurses are rude and condescending. Management cares about the looks of the hospital not the employees they hire. Let me repeat CLICKY CLICKY CLICKY. POOR POOR POOR!!!!
Ex employee
Ex worker (Former Employee) –  Derby CTJanuary 12, 2013
I worked there for many years and saw many changes with in the hospital. Dont ever get hurt there. I knew many people who were injured there and treated like garbage when they needed time off. Many are forced to take LOA. Plantetree is a joke and no one follows it. Does anyone even know the true meaning if it.. Everyone complains about being overworked and under paid. The staff are like robots just doing their jobs. Half the nurses I wouldnt want working on me or passing out my meds. Half the time you cant find them when you need them. Their attitudes are despicable. The secondary position work like dogs for even less pay. You could get better pay at McDs. They hired an outside company to help them get outta the hole they are in. Lets face it they are going to be owned by someone else soon. This company made many changes throughout the hospital by cutting positions and making a larger work load for everyone still there. the people who take your insurance information now work in call center style and have a quota. How do you put a time frame on taking insurance information from patients???; especially when half of them dont do their job right and only a few of them are thorough. Last, they have way too many Administrators. Every time you turn around they are hiring more. Get rid of a few and maybe you could pay some employees more compensation and the hospital might be able to pay some bills and stay afloat and employees would have better moral to go to work and not find it elsewhere. . Id rather sell hot dogs on the side of the road than work there ever again. I feel sorry for  more... all the employees there who do a great job and get ---- on every day and fear for their job.  less
Cons
overworked and under paid.
They really went downhill fast!
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTOctober 20, 2012
I worked for Griffin Hospital and it used to be a wonderful place to work. Within 2 years they went downhill fast! It is now a horrible working environment! (reason I left). They treat their employees awful, are SO understaffed, overworked and underpaid. Management is terrible and not fair. The hospital is now under financial problems and it wouldn't surprise me if they closed within 5 years. They now have a company called the Huron Group within the hospital to try and save it. This is the same thing that happened to St. Raphaels Hospital in New Haven and they ended up being bought out anyway. I feel sorry for the employees and from what I hear alot of the good, trusted valued employees got sick of being treated like dirt and moved on to better positions where they are valued, compensated well, and treated with respect the way it should be.
Pros
food was wonderful!
Cons
terrible working environment
A hospital work environment
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 19, 2014
A typical work day included portable x-rays in all areas of the hospital, C-arm in the operation room,, GI studies, ER x-rays, pain management fluoroscopy, venograms, and performing in-house and out-house x-rays. My co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was when I would have to perform x-rays that were physically demanding and difficult to obtain quality radiographs with nobody to be there to help. The most enjoyable part of this joy was making my patients smile and having the privilege to get them to smile and brighten their day for just a while.
Awful workplace
Hospital employee (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTNovember 19, 2012
Working at Griffin Hospital started out great but over the past year it has done a 360 and now many of the employees hate working there.
Huron was brought in to help the hospital due a turnaround since they are bleeding money. All that Huron accomplished in doing was wrecking the work environment and causing morale to take a big dive but they left with fat wallets.
Management treats the employees very unprofessionally and in a demeaning manner. I am currently looking for work elsewhere but I regret coming to work at the place that once was one of the Best place to work.
Cons
low pay, awful parking, awful morale.
Great place
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTFebruary 21, 2013
Griffin is a slower paced place then most and takes time to adjust. The biggest thing that brings this place down is the management team that holds hours so they can get bonuses at the end of the year. I see this happen all the time and it never is good since things go untouched and get filthy for days. If they started caring more about getting more hours and people there daily this place would have no problems at all.
Pros
gym, people that you get to see everyday and meet and help
Cons
managment to busy to care and make sure things are done right the first time.
Horrible
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Derby, CtMarch 2, 2013
I have been working at Griffin for over 10 years. The place was good at one time, but has taken a turn for the worst. Instead of hiring their own people for jobs posted, they will hire from the outside first. There is no PLANETREE with the way that employees treat each other. Management is a joke, the pay is terrible and the health insurance is getting to be expensive. Dont come here for work unless you dont mind collecting unemployment soon because the hospital will most likely close OR be bought out !
Pros
good healthy food in the cafe. very beautiful hospital
Cons
short staffed, overworked employees, horrible management
Multi Skilled Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 25, 2012
The management there is amazing! There are so many oppertunities to learn, they are constantly educating thier employees and making sure that they can be the best they can be! Everyone is great. The only problem is that they are very short staffed so a lot of times ur put alone on the floor, without another MST to split the work load with. But because of this there are always great opportunities for overtime!
Pros
great staff, and your constantly being educated!
Cons
short staffed so you work alone quite a bit
the best
Chief Engineer / Asst. Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTApril 6, 2015
The best group of GUYS i ever worked for, everybody worked together to get jobs done. at one point we had free medical care as long as you used the hospital.
Pros
free medical
Cons
a lot of hours & responsibility but acceptable in the end
Planetree headquarters full of favoritism and nepotism
Planetree Headquarters (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 11, 2013
I worked for Planetree and quickly discovered it to be a group of unbelievably overcompensated consultants. Middle management is very cutthroat. Hiring of unqualified friends of employee lead to poor morale and blatant favoritism. They do not practice what they so greedily preach. I hope they go under.
Pros
good cafeteria
Cons
nepotism, favoritism, bullying
A typical at work consists of assisting 10 physical therapists and 2 occupational therapists.
Physical Medicine Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTMay 1, 2012
A typical day at work consists of scheduling patients and setting them up in their examining rooms or aqua therapy. Updating productivity charts, medical address lists and managing correspondence from therapists to doctors. I gained a huge education of what it is like to work in a health institution. Griffin management has a "people oriented" methodology which allows the staff to have respect of one another and work as a finely oiled team. Griffin Hospital also serves as the flagship hospital for Planetree, an international leader in patient-centered care and has received national recognition for creating a facility and approach to patient care that is responsive to the needs of patients.

The co-workers are very supportive and always pick up the slack when needed. They are a cast of colorful characters that I enjoy working with them. The hardest part of the job was understanding state insurance policies and procedures that my co-worker has helped me with on several occasions. The most enjoyable part of my job is the comradery and friendships that we have developed with one another. It makes the day go by quickly and is a nice feeling that we constantly work as a team.
Best place to work
rn (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 14, 2014
Everything about Griffin is amazing. everyone smiles and is pleasant. I left and wish I never had, but I moved. I compare every hospital to griffin and yet griffin wins hands down. im planning on moving back to CT just so I can be there again. I love it there. it's home.
Pros
employee recognition, food, pay, management, hours.
Cons
nothing
Political
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTOctober 14, 2014
There were a lot of double standards there. I loved me job description and the job I did. Management throughout the company was horrendous. For that reason alone I would not have wanted that place to be my retirement.
Pros
uniform
Cons
management
Fast paced/busy
Griffin Faculty Practice Plan (Current Employee) –  Derby, CTJuly 2, 2014
Working with Griffin Hospital has been a privilege. My typical day at work would consist of entering charges for multiple departments, appealing claims, posting payments, running a collections and AR report. I have learned so many different techniques and skills to use in my work such as excel, etc. my co-workers were a pleasure working with. We all worked as a team and got everything done responsibly, accurately and timly.

Griffin Hospital Reviews by Location