Position Title: groundWork Public Policy and Advocacy Fellowship
Position Type: Independent Contractor, part-time 20-25 hours per week
Duration: Six months, potential to transition to full-time employee
Application Deadline: February 27, 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
groundWork is a nonpartisan advocacy organization that advances early learning and development as the most transformative strategy to improve school outcomes, increase the life-long success of Ohio’s children, and lay a strong economic foundation for economic prosperity in our state. Started in 2004, groundWork is a statewide initiative with more than 5,000 supporters and a Steering Committee comprised of public policy leaders from across Ohio. More information on groundWork can be found at www.groundworkohio.org.
groundWork is seeking a dynamic and motivated early-career professional to support our public policy, advocacy and outreach efforts. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in every aspect of a large-scale public policy initiative and advance the well-being of Ohio’s young children. The Fellow will be an integral part of the organization and will work closely with the Executive Director and Steering Committee to advance groundWork’s mission.
- Provide administrative support to the staff and Steering Committee
- Identify and monitor relevant state legislation impacting the groundWork agenda
- Prepare advocacy communications, including action alerts, testimony, newsletters, social media content, policy briefs, and media outreach
- Assist with research, data collection, and analysis of related policy issues
- Assist with scheduling and coordination of meetings and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- Public policy, advocacy, or campaign experience strongly preferred
- Strong strategic and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience in policy research and analysis is preferred
- Ability to travel on a periodic basis is required
This position will offer an hourly rate of $15/hour, benefits not provided. groundWork will work with students to coordinate with academic credit opportunities. This is a six-month position with the potential of transitioning to a full-time employee position.
If interested, please send an email with the subject “groundWork Fellowship” to Katie Kelly at with your cover letter, résumé, writing sample (maximum of 2 pages), and three references (with contact information) attached by February 27, 2013.