Group 1 Automotive Employee Reviews

Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), HOUSTON, TXJuly 9, 2015
Customer Service Representative
Answer switchboard / phones in a timely and professional manner
Route calls to appropriate person and take complete and accurate messages
File and log customer’s contracts
Create new contracts if needed
Process customers’ orders
Help resolve any customers concerns or complaints
You are just a number
SDC AGENT (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 27, 2015
Pros: great peers to work with
Cons: management does not properly train you
The company is full of favoritism, you will be under paid for your work. The company hired a lot of temps who they underpaid and and fired the long term employees to cut company cost.
Hello
Director of Human Resources & Customer Relations (Former Employee), houstonJune 22, 2015
Automotive Finance Corporation (AFC) is a premier capital funding source for the used car industry. Founded in 1987 and based out of Carmel, Indiana, AFC's commitment to the success of our customers, our employees, and our company has made us one of the largest independent providers of dealer floorplan financing in North America.
Great place to work for someone with lots of energy!
GSM Assistant (Current Employee), Panama City, FLMay 28, 2015
Pros: co-workers, always something to do
Cons: You have to be employeed a full year before you earn vacation
The staff and management were really easy to get along with and gave me a sense of belonging. If I needed help there was always a willing person available to assist me. The management is family oriented.
Horrible Experience
Team Leader / Sales Management (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2015
Pros: A Paycheck
Cons: Missed BReak And Lunches, Random Extended Hours, Horrible Management Team, Low Pay
The company treats you like a machine, rather than an employee. Even though it was a temporary position, maintaining healthy work environment meant nothing to Group 1 Automotive.
must know
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 15, 2015
Cons: pay plan kept changing every month, micromanaging
typical days were alright as a sales consultant there if you liked to be micromanaged 24/7. Management there was a joke very unprofessional, they always treated their clients with disrespect. co workers there were an okay part made the days go by a lot easier. as far as your chance on selling it sucked, they made sure all the phone calls that were looking for sales were being transferred to their internet department since the general sales manager and the internet manager had a look out for one another and only favorite their internet department( which I have to say that none of them have prior experience in sales) this dealership was a joke and a waste of my personal time, the only reason why I enjoyed coming to work was the product, I am a huge enthusiast and enjoyed sharing my knowledge with new clients.
My time at Group 1 Auto
Inventory Accountant (Former Employee), HoustonMarch 3, 2015
Pros: job security, great co workers
Cons: poor managment, morality of employees, benefits
Typical day was entering vehicle information into outdated ADP system that ran in DOS. I learned basic data entry into ADP system and a lot about different car makes and models with detail. I learn what month end close process on an inventory type level. Management was there to help but it always seemed rush and really did not care about rewarding hard work or advancement or giving people time off they deserved. Co workers were great to talk to and provided lots of help and were knowledgeable depending on their years of experience. Hardest part was the deadlines were were to meet. At times we had to carry other people work and stay late and work on weekends and holidays. This was not mentioned during interview process with clarity. Most enjoyable was the people
Car sales
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2015
It is a good company but working in a car dealership is not the most attractive job, I sold cars both on the floor and online
PRODUCTIVE
Accounts Receivables (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2015
BALANCE CASH CLEARING FOR CAR DEALERSHIP AS ASSIGNED.
FOLLOW-UP ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE AS PER OUTSTANDING BALANCES FOR PAST DUE CUSTOMERS
h
sales (Former Employee), okcJanuary 15, 2015
thieves don't work here especially Hyundai guy from Kentucky is a fraud
Be very careful
receptionist (Former Employee), strathamJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: some nice people
Cons: everything else
Be very careful if you're applying for a job with this company!!! They are not truthful about what the job entails, even if you ask detailed questions in your interview, you just may find that the job is not what you expected. I am fifty years old, and NOT new to the working world!! I have been looking for an entry level position, I wanted to grow into it, I felt that this would give me a less stressful environment, with the responsibilities of someone NEW to the job, that's what "entry level" generally means. A starting point!!

I applied for what I was told it was an "entry level" receptionist job, but it was very far from "entry level"!!! It was a job for an experienced accountant, who just happened to answer the phones as well!!! The reception desk at BMW handles ALL of the invoices from ALL departments. There are both internal and external customers to wait on and so little organization, that it's hard to keep up with the paperwork. It was incredibly stressful, the environment is so tense!! Most of the sales people were great, but there were some who were just plain rude and had an attitude of entitlement, to the point of stepping in front of actual customers to ensure that they were waited on first. I was actually told by one of the sales men, that the car industry is just terrible to work for, very cut-throat and stressful.

Believe me, think twice before you apply!!!!!
Productive accounting company with room to grow
Accounts payable Lead (Current Employee), Houston,TXDecember 22, 2014
Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries.Pays vendors by monitoring discount opportunities; verifying federal id numbers; scheduling and preparing checks; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; issuing stop-payments or purchase order amendments.Pays employees by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests for advances; preparing checks.Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.Maintains historical records by microfilming and filing document;verifying documentation.Reports sales taxes by calculating requirements on paid invoices.
Pat Peck
Floor Manager (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSNovember 25, 2014
Typical day at work is awesome at pat peck. Free lunch on saturdays and the pay was great. People and management was best I've been with in a while. They are friendly and very professional. I gained a lot of experience from them.
Pitiful climate
Sales (Former Employee), MassachusettsNovember 13, 2014
Pros: there is life after group1/ira
Cons: too numerous...got an hour??
Managers only care about number of units sold because that is how THEY are paid....sales people and customers are treated like dirt...they just keep hiring and hiring as only a few select people make money...and they have no lives...they work 7 days a week....STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AND THEIR EMPTY PROMISES....if it sounds too good to be true...it is
Good culture, little opportunity for growth
Associate Manager of Procurement (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 10, 2014
This is a good company to work for, however the organization runs very lean. There is little opportunity for growth/ career advancement.
Great relationships with fellow employees and customers
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee), Richardson, TXOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great rapport building skills training
Cons: long hours
I enjoyed going to work due to the great work enviroment. However, the long 12-13 hour days and weekends made it a challenge to balance work and personal life.
wouldnt recommend
Inventory Peon (Former Employee), houston bsc hwy 290September 7, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: over micro managed
people sneaking up behind you to make sure you are working...really!?

pros-good job security as long as you don't mind never getting a pay raise...ever!

they have a workout gym
Good company
File Clerk (Former Employee), Doraville, GAApril 21, 2014
Company closed down due to recession. But the few months I spent there was great.
terrible
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAMarch 29, 2014
Cons: alot
terrible management team, something needs to be fixed. terrible terrible terrible
Great place for advancement and the ability to stretch beyond your professional boundaries.
East Region Group Manager Ira Toyota and Ford (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 4, 2014
Pros: great place to gain experience, day to day challenges, opportunity to grow
Cons: health care is expensive, demanding hours
No two days are the same based on my daily work schedule. Everyday presents a new set of challenges to overcome in order to be successful.

The day to day part of the job involves working with my management team, sales agents and individual stores to handle internet and phone leads in a timely manner with excellent customer service.

Being fortunate enough to work 14 years for Ira Motorgroup/Group 1 Automotive has provided me with great experience in sales, communicating with people as well time management skills.

Because of the demanding hours of the job, your co-workers become a second family to you. Although both managers and agents share and work many hours weekly, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment in achieving success together!

The hardest part of my job is working many hours and sacrificing special moments with my family. This can sometimes become a taxing endeavor to balance ones work life and home life equally.

Best part of the job as a sales agent was learning new things, gaining experience and confidence with an end result of winning satisfaction.
For example, learning a new phone script and using it. At first you stumble due to being nervous and the unknown of learning something new. Overtime with practice and repetition you become great.

From the managerial side, one of the most enjoyable parts is helping in the maturation process of a sales agent.
There is no better feeling than training and teaching a new employee. Watching there progression and success represents the true fruits of our labor as a manager.