Group 1 Automotive Employee Reviews

Management make the work atmosphere stressful and tedious.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Pros - Good work environment, pay, bonuses & advancement opportunities; Good benefits,vacation and PTO. Cons:Incoming calls are scripted and make for robotic replies. Calls make for a boring tedious job. No genuine conversation with customers.
Pros
Good work environment, pay, bonuses & advancement opportunities; Good benefits, vacation and PTO.
Cons
Incoming calls are scripted and make for robotic responses. Boring and tedious job.
Sales Associate Internet sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2016
Great Family Oriented environment. Helpfully with personal life great benefits needs to pay more. Always room to move up and grow
Pros
flexibility and growth
Cons
low pay
Sweatshop
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2016
To succeed at Group 1 Automotive you must keep your head down and work at a furious pace just to keep up. The workload is very heavy and unevenly distributed. Management claims to be interested in your success and advancement, but the reality is there is a system of cronyism.
For the most part, co-workers are pleasant, but the overall morale is very low. It does not take much plodding to launch complaints from employees with extremely few exceptions.
They seem willing to train, but there really isn't time for training, and they are very selective in who attends special training classes. Most of these classes are not announced giving employees a opportunity to express interest in the training. Instead, management hand selects employees for these sessions.
The most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
Pros
Good pay and benefits for the most part.
Cons
Workload, morale, advancement opportunity
Both positions were rewarding
Corporate Trainer - General Mgr. Indoctrination (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2016
Group 1 allowed for the GM to handle business based on corporate guidelines as well as day to day operations along as one stayed accountable for hitting all budget and profit objectives with an excellent understanding about CSI principles.I was blessed with an excellent team of people in Annapolis.

GM training position was very satisfying as well working with new GM's and training them on the processes and tools made available to them for their operational understanding.

Unfortunately, the company decided to move away from face to face training and move to webinar and video training.
Pros
Good Support
Cons
No loyalty for employees
Retail automotive sales, long hours, boisterous culture, good pay, not time for much else in your life, unfortunately.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 18, 2015
I can only compare this to other's stories about other dealerships, but Group1 seems to be better than most to work for as a Sales Associate.

Compensation is great if you are good at sales, but you will have to put in 55+ hours a week (you'll be working on your days off, at least part of the time).

Corporate culture overlaid on the automotive retailing business seems to have fixed a lot of the employee abuses, but it's still very much the car business.

The personality required to make this a life-long career is rare indeed. The industry is littered with the smoking corpses of divorces (one fellow I worked with managed to get divorced three times). Great job for a bachelor, or at least until you crash and burn. But who knows... Maybe you're one of the chosen few!
Pros
Great pay!
Cons
No outside life!
Misleading Job Description
Sales cashier (Former Employee) –  Stratham, NHSeptember 15, 2016
Took me less than 2 days working here and I knew that it wasn't the place for me. I was mislead what my hours would be, the reception desk does pretty much everything and you are chained to the desk unless someone is working with you. The pay was terrible for what they expected you to do. Contrary to what I was lead to believe, the phone never stops ringing, very hard to get things done because you have sales/service/parts coming up with work all day. I'm not afraid of hard work but this job has high expectations for one person to handle.
Pros
Good job for someone without a life outside of work
Cons
No parking - no organization - just a big cluster
Productive and very fast paced work flow
Professional Back Counter Parts Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2015
*Very fast paced work flow in the Parts Dept. 7am-6pm

*Learned how to work with MultiPoint Inspection Software

*Management is loyal to employees

*Great work environment with very supportive co-workers

*Keeping up with workflow can be very tough at times

*The benefits are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great work environment, cooks lunches for you, benefits
Cons
No breaks besides lunch hour, some changes are being made.
Enjoyed working here
Assistant Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working at South Pointe Honda. My only wish would have been that management backed up its people better. Once you made a mistake it was almost like it was every man for themselves and there is no room for help or understanding.
Pros
Good car guy environment
Cons
Every man for themselves mentality
Awesome place to work!
Billing Clerk Level 3 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2015
Group 1 is a great place to work on all levels. They offer competitve pay and benefits. Paid training is also readily available. They are a team oriented company, but have a spot for those who work more productively on independent tasks. I loved my job with Group 1 and was very sad when I had to leave. My leaving was due to a transfer out of state. I hope to be able to find work within the company again in the future.
Finance Director (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 22, 2016
poor managment, no accountability management on a store level, not professional at all !!! work life balance is terrible.
The BEST company I have ever worked for!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2016
Let me say this company is top notch! Great management! They promote from within. Executive Management has open door policy and is very transparent. I recommend this company!
Pros
free lunch on Saturdays.
Cons
Work if you want to get ahead
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 27, 2016
Definitely a place where talent and work ethic get reward. If you want to be successful with this company they provide an excellent platform and business to make money and get ahead in life. If you wanna "punch" a clock and make minimal amounts of money Group 1 will keep you around too. The choice is yours
Pros
Great facilities, organic traffic and lots of previous customers
Cons
Extreme loyalty to people who Should retire
A business you can grow to love
Internet Sales Manager; General Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2015
Group 1 is a very successful automobile retailer. Pay and benefits are satisfactory. Long hours and 6 day weeks are necessary to make the top levels of pay. They have good values and principles. Dealerships are managed like sports teams.
Pros
ethics, results focus, facilities
Cons
hours of work
cool
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2016
It is cool to work here. Cool Coworkers. Parking getting bad since more people are coming to the company. Just a 9-5 if you need work. This is not a career.
Lowest paying fortune 500 company in business.
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSSeptember 21, 2015
The work is good, a good variety and challenges are available to learn from and grow in experience. But compensation does reflect that experience or knowledge or responsibility.
Pros
There is always work to do, to learn, and work with good people.
Cons
Under paid for the corporate expectations with no real advancement.
My time at Group 1 Auto
Inventory Accountant (Former Employee) –  HoustonMarch 3, 2015
Typical day was entering vehicle information into outdated ADP system that ran in DOS. I learned basic data entry into ADP system and a lot about different car makes and models with detail. I learn what month end close process on an inventory type level. Management was there to help but it always seemed rush and really did not care about rewarding hard work or advancement or giving people time off they deserved. Co workers were great to talk to and provided lots of help and were knowledgeable depending on their years of experience. Hardest part was the deadlines were were to meet. At times we had to carry other people work and stay late and work on weekends and holidays. This was not mentioned during interview process with clarity. Most enjoyable was the people
Pros
Job security, great co workers
Cons
Poor managment, morality of employees, benefits
Group 1
Controller (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 19, 2016
Group 1 Automotive is a great company to work for. It offers advancement opportunities and on the job training. The daily operations are fast paced. The personnel are very cooperative and willing to learn.
Many Opportunities
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2016
I started working for the company right after high school. It was a great place for me to learn. We did get a lot of managers most of the time, but I learned that it was normal in the vehicle industry.
A Learning Experience
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 25, 2016
I learned a great deal from this company and coworkers. Mostly, I learned jus how important ethics, and values really are in my professional life.
Pros
Diversity
Its all fake
Upper management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
This company is all about favoritism, you will not advance unless you are part of the corporate click, or know someone in regional level or corporate, the GM at the store I work at has been caught doing illegal things and is still working HR did nothing about it, but they told me that if it would be me they would of fired me on the spot.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Group 1 Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9