GrubHub Employee Reviews

Horrible work culture
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYDecember 26, 2016
Grubhub is the worst of all the delivery platform I have used. They give you this non sense about their professionalism and how they are better than the other platforms..... Meanwhile they are crooks using people for free labor and telling them to prove they made deliveries with an app that wipes itself clean and leaves no proof of your deliveries etc. They also trash your acceptance rate on purpose in order to not pay you the minimum. A very deceptive and sneaky company with no moral compass. From what I'm seeing on their reviews it looks like they have a class action lawsuit coming in the near future.
Pros
Fun slave labor
Cons
But still without compensation it is still slave labor
It isn't perfect but it was great
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO Oakland, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I started working for GrubHub in Denver. I loved it most of the time. I made more than enough for what I needed. I was pretty much always busy but that's because the delivery zone. It is much more conducive for this service.

Then I had to move to California and I began working in Oakland. The delivery zone is super huge and spread out. People don't tip like they did in Denver. They game the system by saying they will tip in cash but they never do. They snatch their food and slam the door. With how spread out the zone is this is problematic. When its 5 out of 10 deliveries! They need to cut up the zone!!
Everything takes forever to get to. Such wasted time in travel.

They do need to pay milage for between times. Like from the previous location to the next restaurant too. That is all a waste of gas. When you get to an old delivery and the restaurant refuses or is closed you just wasted gas and time and no compensation when it wasn't your fault!

It is NOT worth it in the Bay Area California.
It IS worth it in Denver.
Pros
Nice side job
Cons
Compensation, app instability, delivery zone sometimes.
Summary
Fraud Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2016
Day to day at grubhub is very hectic and fast paced, customers and restaurants contacted us frequently for assistance with issues or support, and I was on the phone for most of my day, operating between several systems to assist them. From there I was promoted to the finance department where I assisted in identifying and preventing fraud committed on the website. In this role I was not on phones but did email customers quite a bit to assist in fraud claims and errors with their purchases. I learned empathy and working efficiently in a fast paced and large environment and how to rely on coworkers to assist in day to day and working together to achieve an office goal and provide quality customer service. The hardest part of the job was not getting frustrated with difficult customers and learning to walk in their shoes when solving a problem. The most enjoyable part was my co workers and satisfying customers with good service.
Pros
Downtown location in nice building, good pay and benefits
Cons
working most holidays and weekends
Excellent culture
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2016
Grubhub has a fantastic work-life balance, great benefits, and amazing people. Needs work on career advancement, however.
Pros
Free lunch, culture, benefits
Cons
Little career advancement
I would never recommend anyone to work in Customer Service at Grubhub.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
The job was very easy and the people were very nice . The horrible thing about this job was every three months your schedule changed and you never knew what you would get until the schedules came out .You could start at 5 am or Start at 6pm . It was awful you never could go to school or make time for things outside of work .
Pros
we got stock money which they no longer do
Cons
Could never make time for aything other than work, the raises sucked, Also everyone else in the company was treated like employees, the call center people were treated with no respect we could not attend Christmas parties, we were told the call center is 24 hours sorry you have to work.
Hostile work environment
Operations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2016
This is a very unfriendly place to work. You need to keep your head down and not stick out or else management will treat you poorly.

Never express your opinion, or wear your hair in a different way, or draw attention to yourself.

The office culture here will destroy your life, and stress you out.
Pros
Location of the office
Cons
No breaks, work constantly, no work life balance
Takes very good care of their employees
Restaurant Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2016
Grubhub is a wonderful company to work for. Very diverse, very friendly. Great pay, benefits. Triple pay on holidays. Contests & monthly bonuses is a plus.
Pros
They feed you constantly
Cons
N/A
The absolute most ridiculous shady company there is.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Inland Empire, CADecember 25, 2016
This company expects you to drive 30 miles away to pick up a order and if I reject the order because its to far it counts against my acceptance rate meaning I don't get my guaranteed minimum. Driving 30 miles each way cost more money than I make working, out of all the delivery apps I have worked for none of them ever ask you to drive this far to pick up a order they exercise this shady practice as a bait and switch scheme to get more drivers on board but they know no one in their right mind would drive 30 miles to get food because your losing money thus they don't pay your guaranteed minimum because because you didn't meat their 80% acceptance rate.

I highly recommend avoiding this company at all cost because by the time you calculate the wear and tear on your car your actually paying out of pocket to do this job.
Pros
Not a single one
Cons
They have a lot of problems to solve.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2016
1- App crashes almost everyday. They ask you delete the existing one and download again.

2- They send you 4-5 miles away from your location. You drive but you don't get paid for gas. They only pay for the gas you used between the restaurant and customer. In other words (because you don't get paid until you reach the restaurant), you pay your gas expenses out of your pocket. No need to mention about car depreciation :)

3- Let's say your shift is between 11 AM to 5 PM, and you don't want to accept a delivery which is created 4:57 that shows on your statement as REJECTED. Your acceptance rate goes bad. When acceptance rate is below %75 they don't contribute for min. guaranteed payment .

4- New delivery order may pop up when you are on the way for delivery. You either reject or accept it otherwise you can't inform grubhub that you delivered the existing order. It sucks especially when you drive. It is like texting when you drive.
Pros
You are independent when you work, flexible hours
Cons
Insufficient management, low payment
Free Labor
Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Serious pay issues with this company considering they request you provide your banking information twice upon enrollment, your paychecks never end up in your bank account and they threaten to cut off your employment due to inability to pay you but the issue is on their side and they are in no hurry to resolve it. I've worked for a month and just recently got a paycheck by mail. I have no idea when I will receive the rest of my wages.
On your best day, deliveries are readily available and within the same area. On your worse day they send you to a mobile vendor with no internet to receive orders and who has just realized they are out of propane and after an hour of waiting the order gets cancelled and they immediately send you a new delivery.
Pros
Weekly Promises of a Paycheck
Cons
No paycheck
Poor customer service for driver
Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 27, 2016
Even though you are contracted as Indepedent Contractor (that is what they say), the communication from the payment department is terrible. They don't care and don't read your requested question. I sent a request to clear up some issue about the payment but their representatives were horrible about answering question. Then, they gave you the same answer even the answer wasn't something I asked for. In general, they didn't read your question and have some idiot replied the same thing over and over again until you were tired. At the end, they ignore you and you will never get compensated for your work.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Horrible customer service, representatives need to be trained
Folks you are wasting your time delivery for Grubhub
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 6, 2016
Want a low life job that makes 11.5 an hour? Go to Walmart... you won't waste a lot of gas or destroy you car while you work. Want to waste a lot of time waiting for Restaurants to get the food ready to deliver and NOT get paid for it? If so keep reading. If you want to waste a pile of gas money driving half way across town to have that glorious oppty to wait and get paid a peanut? Well yeap you should sign up today with Grubhub... App is not reliable and minimums are a farce. Do yourself a favor and kill the curiosity about what it will be like before you waste time and money finding out that you are not your own boss and you make about or less than what you could make at Walmart or In Out burger
Pros
Most of the food smells good
Cons
So many...I won't even bother trying to list them
Management sucks!
Restaurant specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2016
They have all new management. Management has no knowledge what so ever on what to do in RCARE. The manager is very unprofessional, and the job is based on favoritism. The pay is okay , which makes the job worth working. The company need new professional, open minded management. The job can become very messy, but as long as you go to work to work you'll be fine. The best par about he job is they feed you during the holiday seasons.
GrubHub is a great carrier company. You can quickly communicate and the pay is fair. Sometimes communication is off but overall they are doing good.
Grub Hub (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 20, 2016
Sometimes communication can be off but overall the company pays well and they are always busy here in D.C. I like the fact that you can quickly be in touch with a representative if you are needing to speak with someone...LIVE! The driver care department works hard to assure that things run smoothly for both the customer and carrier.
Pros
Good money with 75% acceptance rate, live representative, preview of assigned route before accepting.
Cons
App freezes up at times, Communication can be way off sometimes.
Poor organization, poor driver care, poor compensation
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Inland Empire, CANovember 24, 2016
GrubHub may have a great concept, delivery direct to your door from the restaurant of your liking, but they have a horrible overall platform for drivers. First, I was with the company just three days before going to, what they call, "driver care" for assistance. The representative on the other end of the phone was rude and malicisously didn't help me when I began questioning her reasons for being so rude. It was just a disaster of a call with no assistance for my situation.

Despite that issues, I decided to give the company another chance. What a mistake! They claim to pay a minimum hourly wage if your quota is not met. But, the underlining trick to that is that your acceptance rate has to be high enough to qualify. Well, that's really not possible when you're having to reject calls that are over 30 miles away from your current position. It's a trap!

This really is not a company, nor a platform I would encourage anyone to invest themselves in.
Pros
I can't honestly find any...
Cons
Too many to list within the character limitation.
Decent for students/beginners
Food Photographer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 2, 2016
The standards aren't incredibly high, and neither is their compensation. You'll get a very small flat fee per assignment in which you have to: correspond with restaurants, take a handful of photos, edit them, and have them submitted to a dropbox within 24 hours of the shoot. Admittedly not a whole lot of work, but it's not very organized, and not very worth it.
Pros
Free lunches, portfolio builder
Cons
Low pay, poor organization
Waste of time and money. If you want cold messy food use GrubHub.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2016
Horrific company culture from the highest level of management. Sub par business model leads to furious customers. The CEO threatens employees saying they have to agree with his political views. I feared for my job and security.
Threatening Workplace
Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2016
The letter from the CEO has highlighted the company culture that bleeds down from the top.

It's a democracy - to threaten those who participated in the freedom of democracy is in essence blackmail and inducing fear-mongering tactics.
Stay away ! They treat the drivers like garbage !
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 22, 2016
The night dispatchers try sending you everywhere.... you will have like 1 hour or even 5 mins left to your shift and they will try to send you 45 mins away to another city. like really I have a life I have another job. Plus the gas and wear on your car ! If you want to keep your drivers make sure you treat them right!
Pros
Pay is ok if they don't send you across the map
Cons
Some Dispatchers, Mileage, gas, use your personal car
Like getting short paid & hours taken, then GrubHub is the place for you!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2016
When I started working with GrubHub it was awesome: lots of hours, flexible, fun. Now GOOD LUCK if you can get a shift. There were probably 40 people in my area, now it's probably double or triple that so shifts are hard to get since they are first come first serve. Also, if you're lucky enough to get a shift or two, one may suddenly disappear leaving you with no work or money. If do work a shift, they will most likely short pay you. Don't get two shifts in one day, you wont get paid for the full hours worked. Oh and if you ever have any problems regarding shifts or pay, tough luck. They tell you to email them and when they finally get back to you a week or two later (if at all), they will just have a copied & pasted response for you. Worst, most unorganized & unprofessional company ever!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No shifts available, short pay, rip you off constantly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GrubHub. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9