GSI Group, Inc Employee Reviews

Very nice place to work at
Laser Operator (Former Employee) –  Flora, ILOctober 17, 2017
I would most definitely go back if I had the chance to very nice place to work and everyone was very nice it was layed back and made working there even better
Poor conditions, lazy staff, lack of motivation
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILOctober 16, 2017
Today I joined the Center for Tax and Budget Accountability in Chicago to discuss how the new Republican tax plan would benefit the wealthiest of Americans and stick working families with the bill. They are raising taxes on middle-income families to provide massive tax cuts for corporations to the tune of $2.6 trillion over the first ten years and an empty promise of economic growth. American workers and their families are watching, and they’re still waiting for a better deal.
Pros
free meth
Cons
free meth
Work its good employer not so good
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 18, 2017
To much favoritism
Sick days and vacations days are combined,
No health insurance
No employee reviews
No direct deposit
Mandatory ot
OT on days off are not paid good
Pros
N/a
Cons
Supervisors favoritism, sick days and vacation days are combined
Great co -workers
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2017
I enjoyed meeting some great coworkers who are now friends. Management was helpful and encouraging. Great and upbeat workplace..gift cards for incentives.
Pros
break room
Cons
cold calling
Constant layoffs
Quality Auditor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Assumption,IlJune 29, 2017
I enjoyed working here for the first 4 years. Then the company was sold. Changing constantly. It's a hot dirty place with a lot of rules. I did gain a lot of knowledge working here. Management constantly changing. Do not recommend this place if you want a dependable stable job!
Pros
Gained alot of knowledge, made some good friends
Cons
Very hot, overtime, work you to death then lay you off
Professional and good place to work
GSI Sales Manager/Mexico Region (Current Employee) –  Assumption, Illinois, USAMay 26, 2017
Nice place to work and develop your potential, the company environment is friendly and kind.
People and staff is heading under the internal policy in all aspects.
Factory job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILMay 5, 2017
I enjoyed working here. My boss was understanding and great to get along with at work. The benefits were great and very affordable. The hours were great.
Pros
Nice benefits
Productive place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Newton, ILApril 11, 2017
Good place to work with good management. Had great coworkers. Challenging work environment. Felt like you accomplished things at the end of the day. Fairly good pay
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hour drive to work
Not a bad place to work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Assumption, ILFebruary 21, 2017
They have given me chances that other place might not have given me.
They really like to have you move up through the company rather then hire from the outside. They do hire a lot of temps in there busy season
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
To many clicks
Gsi
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Dublin, GASeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work would include me making sure all safety signs were up. I also made sure everyone knows the safety rules atthe safety meeting we would have every morning. My co-workers worked at a fast and steady pace, and they hate when some slows down the rest of the crew. The hardest part about this job was being apart of the clean up crew. The most enjoyable part about this job was laughing and joking with our boss.
Pros
They helped me discover new talents
Cons
it was tiring but worth it
Porductive good working area
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Assumption, ILAugust 10, 2016
Starching before working then assigned job. One side would put piece on conveyer belt pice would get washed dryed painted. On the other side that would take pieces off convayer belt and put in proper place for transportation
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Worked in a hot area
Chaotic work environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Loomis, CAApril 6, 2016
Our company was acquired through GSI a year ago without any forewarning. GSI came in the day we were bought and promised there would be 0 changes to our existing company. After months went by, we converted from our MRP system to Oracle. The transition was awful and there was no proper training. People came in who didn't do the jobs trained people how to operate it and GSI tried to make our processes assimilate to theirs. There were ongoing issues trying to fix these and after months, most issues were resolved. Many people have left since the acquisition including myself. Management is terrible and fired all of our original management and brought in new people. If there was no immediate hire of a manager, you had to report to someone in Bedford and they would barely be in contact with you. The upper management dictates with fear and demands long hours and OT because they made promises to customers not realizing how short handed we are. Myself and many other hourly employees found this unfair because we have lives outside of GSI where as the salaried, upper management do not. I had an extensive exit interview with HR about how GSI can improve and I've come to find out weeks later that the management has said disrespectful things that weren't' applicable to my job performance. I could go on forever about how terrible a company GSI is but I won't. Hopefully they improve and succeed.
Pros
Listen to music while working, wear shorts/hat
Cons
Worked with loud broken compressor they wouldn't fix, no heating/air, lack of communication from management
Manufacturing
Accounts Payable/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIMarch 30, 2016
GSI purchased Johnson System in 2013. It has remained the same fun productive place to work as before. Mostly the same people. However with the decline of the Ag business corporate decided it was in the best interest of the company as a whole to eliminate this facility.
gsi is a temp company with no future or benefits. other than that i ran control and mechanical penthouses for said clients.
Journeyman Electrician/Foreman (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 21, 2015
find a real job because these people have some unsavory business practices. they also split your payrate in half and call it per diem.
Great people, wonderful work environment.
Material/Production Control (Former Employee) –  Bremen, ALOctober 15, 2015
i learned a lot about manufacturing, from the cutting equipment, to the bending. co workers were great. hardest part of the job was leaving it.
Pros
paid lunch, paid vacation, insurance
Cons
the pay is good for the area, but you can make more elsewhere.
Mirror Optical
Computer Teacher (Current Employee) –  bedford, MA , 01730July 3, 2015
I am working as Group leader in GSI Group inc
i am working Mirror optical Department
i make bounding mirrors
as well as data operators

my management is very good

my co-worker aslws support me
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
no they don't ..provided
Quality engineer
Quality engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, maMay 4, 2015
Don't work @ GSI unless you are really desperate or just need a job while you are looking for a real one.
Please , do your self a favor and stay away from this place
Pros
i did not see any
Cons
everything
Fast Paced Environment
Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MANovember 6, 2014
HR management was unsure of what they needed for talent. Sets unrealistic goals/deadlines.
Good place to work, If you work day on days
Machine Operator/Assembler Duties (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILAugust 6, 2014
This company had a family feel, you earn your check, seasonal work management is crumbling, physically demanding, and the people use to be the best part of the job.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
weather and management
Worst company I have ever worked for-BEWARE
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAApril 24, 2014
Political, hierarchical, stressful, endless, thankless hours. Stress turned me into a nervous wreck.
Pros
Nothing Good to Say
Cons
Political Beyond Belief