GSI Group, Inc Employee Reviews

Chaotic work environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Loomis, CAApril 6, 2016
Our company was acquired through GSI a year ago without any forewarning. GSI came in the day we were bought and promised there would be 0 changes to our existing company. After months went by, we converted from our MRP system to Oracle. The transition was awful and there was no proper training. People came in who didn't do the jobs trained people how to operate it and GSI tried to make our processes assimilate to theirs. There were ongoing issues trying to fix these and after months, most issues were resolved. Many people have left since the acquisition including myself. Management is terrible and fired all of our original management and brought in new people. If there was no immediate hire of a manager, you had to report to someone in Bedford and they would barely be in contact with you. The upper management dictates with fear and demands long hours and OT because they made promises to customers not realizing how short handed we are. Myself and many other hourly employees found this unfair because we have lives outside of GSI where as the salaried, upper management do not. I had an extensive exit interview with HR about how GSI can improve and I've come to find out weeks later that the management has said disrespectful things that weren't' applicable to my job performance. I could go on forever about how terrible a company GSI is but I won't. Hopefully they improve and succeed.
Pros
Listen to music while working, wear shorts/hat
Cons
Worked with loud broken compressor they wouldn't fix, no heating/air, lack of communication from management
Gsi
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Dublin, GASeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work would include me making sure all safety signs were up. I also made sure everyone knows the safety rules atthe safety meeting we would have every morning. My co-workers worked at a fast and steady pace, and they hate when some slows down the rest of the crew. The hardest part about this job was being apart of the clean up crew. The most enjoyable part about this job was laughing and joking with our boss.
Pros
They helped me discover new talents
Cons
it was tiring but worth it
Manufacturing
Accounts Payable/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIMarch 30, 2016
GSI purchased Johnson System in 2013. It has remained the same fun productive place to work as before. Mostly the same people. However with the decline of the Ag business corporate decided it was in the best interest of the company as a whole to eliminate this facility.
gsi is a temp company with no future or benefits. other than that i ran control and mechanical penthouses for said clients.
Journeyman Electrician/Foreman (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 21, 2015
find a real job because these people have some unsavory business practices. they also split your payrate in half and call it per diem.
Great people, wonderful work environment.
Material/Production Control (Former Employee) –  Bremen, ALOctober 15, 2015
i learned a lot about manufacturing, from the cutting equipment, to the bending. co workers were great. hardest part of the job was leaving it.
Pros
paid lunch, paid vacation, insurance
Cons
the pay is good for the area, but you can make more elsewhere.
Mirror Optical
Computer Teacher (Current Employee) –  bedford, MA , 01730July 3, 2015
I am working as Group leader in GSI Group inc
i am working Mirror optical Department
i make bounding mirrors
as well as data operators

my management is very good

my co-worker aslws support me
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
no they don't ..provided
Good place to work, If you work day on days
Machine Operator/Assembler Duties (Former Employee) –  Paris, ILAugust 6, 2014
This company had a family feel, you earn your check, seasonal work management is crumbling, physically demanding, and the people use to be the best part of the job.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
weather and management
Quality engineer
Quality engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, maMay 4, 2015
Don't work @ GSI unless you are really desperate or just need a job while you are looking for a real one.
Please , do your self a favor and stay away from this place
Pros
i did not see any
Cons
everything
its a good pproduction place, good location
Electrical Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MA.November 1, 2013
Everyday is the same, you come to work and you do your job. Punch in and out. Job is very easy. Coworkers are nice. And the best part of the job is its a bi-week. You get every other Mondays off. That's what I like about the job. Every other week, I get a 3 day weekend.
Pros
every other monday off so every other week, i get a 3 day weekend.
Cons
short breaks, we only get 2 break on a 9hr shift
Fast Paced Environment
Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MANovember 6, 2014
HR management was unsure of what they needed for talent. Sets unrealistic goals/deadlines.
Friendly coworkers
International Shipping / Receiving / Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 24, 2012
I enjoyed working with the people at GSI Group everyone was every helpful and supportive
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
working through breaks everydat to meet shipping goals
Worst company I have ever worked for-BEWARE
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAApril 24, 2014
Political, hierarchical, stressful, endless, thankless hours. Stress turned me into a nervous wreck.
Pros
nothing good to say
Cons
political beyond belief