GT Advanced Technologies Employee Reviews

Questionable leadership and management.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 13, 2017
Same as Merlin Solar Technologies (company change names after breaking away from GT Advanced Technologies). Poor communication and leadership. Management would avoid issues of workers, no HR department.
Pros
Friendly workers
Cons
Poor leadership
Once a great environment but new management has completely changed the culture to one of fear and discontent
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHAugust 31, 2017
Historically, a great place to work until it was taken over by new management who have driven the company into financial hardship. The company went from one that made employees feel involved and engaged to one that made employees feel at risk of losing their job at any point.
A place for adavncement, and great benefits
HMI /Growth Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 12, 2017
Great working atmosphere, good pay. Great benefits, was a future place for advancements. Great learning experience, Management treated you fair. Great stepping stone place.
Pros
Good starting pay, great benefits
Cons
Went bankrupt
very challenging job
Maintenance Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 18, 2017
I was hired to start up the maintenance
department. I managed 60 technicians and oversaw the rigging company to install 70+ million dollars of equipment. I had the best department in the plant and I had the least support from upper management. Workplace culture was difficult at times. There were a lot of management below and above me that never worked in a high volume manufacturing atmosphere. Ideas and solutions fell on deaf ears. I warned the lack of control with spending was going to do us in. Rework cost a lot of money and just misc. spending was bad.The business agreement that was signed with the controlling company that was funding the project.was horrible. Penalties alone for missing deadlines was going to cripple my company. 9 months into the project we went CH11. Disappointing because I was working 71 hours a week to meet deadlines so I had no life outside of work.
Pros
Good pay, I discovered, even though i've been management roles, I was a very good manager.
Cons
To much arrogance in the workforce, new ideas were shut down before you could get them out of your mouth.
Great company
Sapphire Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 3, 2017
Sapphire furnaces and Solar furnaces of vacuum chamber, hot zone, machined parts, PDU system,element, heat exchangers,vacuum pump.
Free lunch
Production Technician III (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 30, 2017
It's hard to work because we're carrying sapphire and it's heavy. The management has favoritism especially the supervisor. It has diverse culture which is good. Hardest part of the job is carrying those sapphire for the are so heavy. Most enjoyable are free lunches
Excellent work place
QC Lead Technical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 14, 2016
excellent company,
40 hours work week, lot of overtime, most enjoyable as Quality Control. Tricycle for transfortation
Pros
company supply drinking water and lunch
Cons
non
Great company while it lasted
Lead Operations Tech II (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 16, 2016
This was short lived. Everything was great as far as a place to work. Company filed chapter 11 bankruptcy and went out of business.
Sr. Electrical Designer IV (Former Employee) –  Merrimack NHMarch 1, 2016
Excellent place to work. Good quality people great location. Interesting work. Very well equipt with the latest technologies
Pros
donuts on Fridays
Cons
Layoff
It was a nice ride!
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHNovember 24, 2015
Management's poor decisions killed this once thriving business. This company once had a powerful brain trust. No more. Management makes too many bad decisions and is exceedingly top heavy. Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Layoffs have resulted in GT being just a shell of its formal self.
Very challenging
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 3, 2015
Very challenging and rewarding project. Would have liked to see the project continue and succeed. All of the employees and contractors were a good group of individuals.
Good, but not great company
Equipment Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 17, 2015
Poorly managed! Good pay! Dont know what happened, but this could have been a gem in Arizona with the Apple Inc Backing! I do not have a lot more to add to this review.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Poorly managed
Once in a lifetime opportunity to work with high level technical staff
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 30, 2015
Really enjoy the staff and work culture. A highly competitive environment with numerous learning opportunities. Was able to work with and learn from process industry experts. Assisted many customers start ups and addressing various problems associated with starting up new equipment and processes.
Pros
work staff
Cons
uncertainty of bankruptcy
Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 14, 2015
Very involved with the business in trying to making things happen with the customer needs and wants in products and services.
Pros
communication skills
Cons
time accessibilty
People were great.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 5, 2015
the work and people were great. Unfortunately, management made some bad bets that put the company into Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
New company with daily changes within management
Associate II (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 12, 2015
-Report to work, received instructions, and completed tasks.
-Learned to inspect sapphire materials.
-Constantly changing/inconsistent management.
-Co-workers were very knowledgeable and willing to learn.
-Unable to create a standard process.
-Co-workers willingness to work.
GT has been a work environment that provided many challenges and rewards
Manufacturing Manager-Start up Division (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 4, 2015
A typical day at work involves interacting with several departments in Fabrication. The interactions are to review challenges we are facing to meet the demands for Production.

I have learned to adapt within an environment of a start up/shut down situation.

Working with Management lead level to the President level allows me to understand the different needs of the business model.

The best part of my job is working with my co-workers and helping them to achieve their goals.

The hardest part of my job is being faced with shutting down the facility as this was an exciting start up opportunity.

The most enjoyable part of my job was going from an empty facility to the largest manufacturing plant of Sapphire Crystal in the world.
Pros
Freedom to make decisions
Cons
The Company facing Chapter 11
had potential
Cable Installer (Former Employee) –  mesa, azJune 2, 2015
Really wish they could have made it, was a great atmosphere, good leadership. It is unfortunate they had to file bancruptcy.
Interesting work, but long hours
Manufacturing Process Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2015
I found that overall it was a good experience, but it had a high toll on my work life balance. I would rate it as a good.

I learned a lot about manufacturing in this environment.
Changeling, teamwork, great experience,
Quality Inspector III (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 4, 2015
This is a company I believed I would have the ability to advance and eventually retire from. I loved my schedule, coworkers, training opportunities, management team, and what I believed to be secure.
Unfortunately the company filed bankruptcy and closed down. I am still sad that this outstanding work environment with all it had to offer had to come to an abrupt end.
I worked 12 hour shifts with one week being a four day work week and the next week being a three day work week. As I worked there my opportunities, knowledge, and responsibilities grew; which I loved the challenges and confidence my manager had in my abilities. The whole plant worked as a team; it was wonderful! The money was pretty great too!
The hardest part of the job was when we were told the company would be shutting down. But I believe that when one door closes, another one opens.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities
Cons
The company closed the doors.