GTE Employee Reviews

clean and safe place to work
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CANovember 19, 2017
I enjoyed working for GTE gave a lot of rewards for outstanding customer service and job skill training was excellent very friendly environment. I learn a lot working for GTE and great benefits to employee for growth within the company.
Pros
great job skill training
Cons
great rewards
Great place to get the Bigger Picture of IT ways
Network Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 17, 2017
A typical day was you logged into remedy and take your first call. From that moment you were the case manager.If you could resolve the issue over the phone or via remote access it was considered done. If it required someone onsite you were the case manager o you went to see it in person. This made us all become more rounded in our knowledge of our supported product lines. I was able to get Cisco training and certifications. The hardest part was the travel. The best part was the amount of knowledge we all gained.The best part was
all the experience and perspective we gained working with State entities Hollywood Production Companies and Every size company.
Pros
Great Cafeteria and all the training one could handle
Cons
The travel was hard on my family life as I had two kids and was gone on average 3 days a week
Self motivation a must
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 11, 2017
Maintaining and repairing telephone computers. Learning both provides and on the job. M was management was hands-off requiring self motivation. Mostly worked alone, but fellow employees was there to help when needed. Working alone required a lot of self education. Knowing that YOU did the job.
Pros
Relaxed managmemt.
Cons
Working alone required self morivation and problem solving skills
Just A Stepping Stone
Directories Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 10, 2017
A Good company to get me starting in the industry, but Not at all how I wanted to stay with for a career- I left GTE and moved on to Southwestern Bell Yellow Pages (ATT)
worked was ok
Tech Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2017
Need to work on advancement and it allowed one to grow. had good management and career path. the culture was that of a family not of business which fostered growth
GTE is no more. Was merged with Verizon.
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 30, 2017
GTE was a great company to work for. In 28 years I had only two moderately poor managers. We had good benefits and salery. We worked hard but it was rewarding.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Out of business
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 16, 2017
GTE was my first real job out of school and it was great. It was really cool because technology was just coming alive and there were great opportunities to learn new stuff.
Quick paced
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 9, 2017
It was a very interesting experience working as an operator from handling collect calls to assisting customers who claimed they lost their coins while making a call from a pay phone.
The part of GTE that I work for no longer exists
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Northlake, ILOctober 1, 2017
I worked for GTE in Northlake. GTE no longer exists in this location. When I worked there this was a good company to work for and the people were good.
Outside Plant
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 7, 2017
The company was not bad to work for. The only problem was they didn't have the funds to repair the Outside Plant where facilities were bad. Employees would not cover open wires.
Pros
Outside Work
Great place to work.
Equipment Installer and Repairer (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CASeptember 4, 2017
Great place to work. I attended 2-4 technical schools annually which were very beneficial. I learned how trouble shoot and maintain fiber optic systems, digital and analog special service circuits of varying capacities and technologies.
Pros
Security and educational.
Cons
Productive company with great beneits
INVENTORY CONTROL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 29, 2017
Very good job, the company name changed to Verizon but I continued in my same job title.I enjoyed working in the paging department. I was the supervisor at this time.
customer service for cellular service .
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRSENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 27, 2017
Thrid-party call-center services for GTE East. Helped with payment accounts for minute to minute service. Mid-level management was stressful by completing customer billing services by a thirty to one hundred-twenty second window for next customer waiting. One-hundred and twenty calls to attain company's projected average.
Pros
Motivational team work for every day protocol with competitive goals
Cons
Goals are rarely met by any team employee; when a employee reached the goals, every team was scolded if projections are not met.
Great company
Manager, Marketing Communications (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 18, 2017
Became one of the companies that made up Verizon in 2000. Good company to work for but did not keep up with the changes going on in telecommunications and was therefore a target for acquisition.
Pros
Excellent culture
Cons
Somewhat stodgy
This company is no longer in existance
Payroll General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAAugust 15, 2017
While working at GTE I was very pleased however as years went by they eventually became deregulated and after I had left they were bought out multiple times and are no longer in existence.
Pros
Great employer at the time
Cons
No longer in existence.
CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 2, 2017
Management was great. Excellent work atmosphere and friendly people. Pay was top for the area. Working conditions were magnificent. I enjoyed my time there greatly.
very productive
TELEPHONE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 1, 2017
gte was a productive place to work with. I was able to speak with customers over the phone and learned how to be the warm caring voice on the other end of their line.
Global Telecom
Director Internal Communications (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 26, 2017
World class telecommunications company, providing voice, data and interactive media services now merged into Verizon telecommunications in New York City, NY
Pros
Great work culture
Great first job
financial analyst (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJuly 25, 2017
Worked at division headquarters working on budgets, forecasts and actual profit and loss reporting.

Great co workers
Good management
Learned many things from upper management help

Good culture, very strong company
Typical work day in GTE
HRIS - Web Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 15, 2017
Provide/Support web contests for HR intranet site, servers support (tape backup and recover), and users support when they encounter issues - browser compatibility, or settings. This job provide me a chance to learn XHTML and ASP page, IIS.
benefits