GTE Employee Reviews

great job
National Sales Support (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXFebruary 1, 2016
Enjoyed working here, stated working as a general clerk and advanced thru many jobs, since they offered jobs in house first. Every day was new and challenging and it was a great atmosphere to work in, enjoyed the teamwork. I advanced to work for Easr coast office and was located in San Angelo. Helped to create and train on job processes and traveled to many office on the East and West offices..
Long hours were sometimes part of the day , but enjoyed the job.
Excellent company to work for
Executive Assistant - Vice President of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 7, 2016
I worked for the Marketing team and it was fun! Lots of projects, new promos and ads. The people were great. Never a dull moment.
Pros
Excellent benefits and great people to work with
Cons
needed to go through a temp agency before hiring
I learnded and got to experience alot in my 27 years.
Supervisor, Branch Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Robstown, TX/Dallas,TxDecember 7, 2015
Great work experience. Leaned so much while in sales and management . My coworkers were always very supportive and helpful. Enjoyed meeting customers on a one to one contact and over the phone
your co workers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 22, 2015
A landline company that was a great place to work. House phones.....everyone had one, even 2 lines into 1 house. Don't forget the kids. A family atmosphere and a company where people stayed employed for 30-40 years and retired. Relationships with employees that last a life time.
GTE Internetorking group built a world class SONET network and I was a part of that
Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2015
Fast pace to build out a nationwide SONET backbone during the Internet boom in the mid 90's. But the bubble burst in the early 2000's and the company was spun off prior to GTE and Bell Atlantic merger that formed Verizon. This company became Genuity and eventually filled for bankruptcy. Which is the reason I left.

I was the supervisor at the Philly POP and had 5 techs underneath myself. We covered parts of NJ, Delaware and 1/2 of PA at various repeater sites and smaller POPs.

I oversaw the build-out, upgrades and daily operations of all the local network segments. We worked with a NOC who managed the links and we responded to any outages 24/7.

Work was great and we had a great team.
Pros
Exciting, technical, fast paced
Cons
Internet bubble burst. Party was over.
Customer Service
Information Operator (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 10, 2015
I took inbound and outbound calls for 411 information. Provided customers with phone numbers and address as requested
Pros
I liked the hours I worked
Cons
N/A
Breat work place
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 10, 2015
Company is no longer a sole company. It has merged with Atlantic Bell to form a new company called Verizon Communications.
The most enjoyable company I ever worked for.
Cons
Retirement Plan
A company like this will never exist again
CZT II - Customer Zone Tech II (Former Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TXNovember 6, 2015
Great company and had great benefits. It was too bad they sold out to Bell Atlantic. Much Better then Verizon ever could strive for.
teamp job
Cable Installer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 5, 2015
again I was a cable installer/fabricator didn't last long due to the company cable team was re-located out of state wasn't willing to travel
Pros
great pay
Cons
na
Learned a variety of skills
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
As GTE, lots of opportunities for advancement, input appreciated & solicited, full support of management. Enjoyed being a part of the Employee Support Group which organized Talent Shows, entertainment for the reps 1-2X per year, able to be creative, writing & performing in skits, etc. Slow shift in ability to interact positively with upper management once changed to Verizon, advancement opportunities diminished.
Pros
Opportunities to work cross-functionally
Cons
Corporate atmosphere/communications became more management heavy, rather back & forth dialogue
Most fun job I ever had.
Equipment Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 15, 2015
Remotely test high capacity and data link circuits. Learned to hurry up and wait. Co-workers were the greatest. The most enjoyable part were the co-workers. We became family.
Pros
The type of work that we did.
Cons
Sending the work to Florida and closing the department.
Customer Svc Rep/Collections
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXSeptember 12, 2015
Extremely Busy work day
Customer Service procedures
Management was great to work with
Co-workers eager to help each other
Income call very busy
Co-workers
Pros
Decent rate of pay during the years at GTE
Cons
Extremely busy work pace
Over all GTE was a good place to work
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange County CASeptember 3, 2015
I built class five offices from a vacant building. This means building power rooms and analog computer networks to cut over from step-to-step equipment. As a supervisor and earlier as a technician these networks were built

I learned much from construction, ordering and supervising employees.

The hardest part of the job when I was supervising cable splicers to upgrade the out-side-plant involving section and cable throws,B boxes etc

All the technical knowledge that was gained was the most enjoyable part of the job involving high current power room and analog computer networks.
Pros
Technical knowledge gained
Cons
Drugs in the work place
An Excellent company and a great place where work was fun.
Manager Telecommunications Equipment Standards (Former Employee) –  Indiana, Connecticut, California, TexasAugust 10, 2015
An excellent company. GTE was purchased by Verizon 2001. My career encompassed most operations in the company from planning, marketing, engineering, information technology, network design including the design of telephone and cellular switching.

I learned that dedication and motivated employees and coworkers can accomplish almost anything. Failures are rare. When there is failure you get up and encourage all to try again. The most enjoyable part of the job was the successful implementation from planning to completion of a major project such as the placement of a new switching system, or the replacement of an existing system in which I play a major role.
Pros
A great work environment.
Cons
Moving. I moved nine times while with GTE. My childrens schooling suffered.
Unique Call Center Environment
Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Long beach,CAJuly 29, 2015
Diverse clientele interaction and good camaraderie with co-workers. I literally felt like a family, and still keep in touch with quite a few ex-co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the constant change in the telecommunications industry. The changes were sometimes week to week or month to month. The pace was faster than I think most of us could keep up with since most of us had been there over 10 years.
Pros
Team oriented, flexible scheduling
Cons
Fast paced
Contract gig
MARKETING (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 8, 2015
I worked on the USGA promotion for two months. Overall it was great however because we were contractors, there was no advancement or growth with this career path.
Good place to work, great benefits
Business Sales (Former Employee) –  Irivng, TXJuly 1, 2015
I learned something new every day. Since I went into management, the hardest thing to do was letting people go (firing them). The most enjoyable thing was when my people succeeded in their job.
Pros
Great benefits; loved the people.
Cons
Quotas.
Best Company Ever
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJune 15, 2015
This was the best company I ever worked for. The people were friendly. The management were knowledgeable. People cared about each other and the company carried about its employees.
Pros
Cons
Bought by Bell Atlantic
Desent/ flexible job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 8, 2015
Working for GTE was a descent job, you get paid per job so the faster and harder you work the more you get paid. Small company so not a lot of people to deal with. They trained me on the job with pay. You get to work at your own pace with in reason of course.
Pros
Worked with me on days off i needed
Cons
1099 no benifits
Lots of opportunities to learn
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAMay 29, 2015
Learned a great deal about technology while employed at GTE
Much of the part of the company I worked for was acquired by General Dynamics
Dedicated staff
Well-resourced
Organized
Experienced significant downsizing while employed there

4.4