GTE Employee Reviews

Unique Call Center Environment
Telephone Operator (Former Employee), Long beach,CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Team oriented, flexible scheduling
Cons: Fast paced
Diverse clientele interaction and good camaraderie with co-workers. I literally felt like a family, and still keep in touch with quite a few ex-co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the constant change in the telecommunications industry. The changes were sometimes week to week or month to month. The pace was faster than I think most of us could keep up with since most of us had been there over 10 years.
Contract gig
MARKETING (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 8, 2015
I worked on the USGA promotion for two months. Overall it was great however because we were contractors, there was no advancement or growth with this career path.
Good place to work, great benefits
Business Sales (Former Employee), Irivng, TXJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great benefits; loved the people.
Cons: Quotas.
I learned something new every day. Since I went into management, the hardest thing to do was letting people go (firing them). The most enjoyable thing was when my people succeeded in their job.
Best Company Ever
General Clerk (Former Employee), San Angelo, TXJune 15, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Bought by Bell Atlantic
This was the best company I ever worked for. The people were friendly. The management were knowledgeable. People cared about each other and the company carried about its employees.
Desent/ flexible job
Painter (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 8, 2015
Pros: Worked with me on days off i needed
Cons: 1099 no benifits
Working for GTE was a descent job, you get paid per job so the faster and harder you work the more you get paid. Small company so not a lot of people to deal with. They trained me on the job with pay. You get to work at your own pace with in reason of course.
Lots of opportunities to learn
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Needham, MAMay 29, 2015
Learned a great deal about technology while employed at GTE
Much of the part of the company I worked for was acquired by General Dynamics
Dedicated staff
Well-resourced
Organized
Experienced significant downsizing while employed there
excelent place to work
YR - CONSTRUCTION LINEMAN (Former Employee), Everett, waMay 27, 2015
spent over 30 yrs with GTE/Verizon in a variety of jobs. last 25 yrs was in mgnt. tech supt for switching and transmission equipment and did a lot of trouble shooting on systems.
Public Utlities
Operator, Payroll Clerk and Phone Technician (Former Employee), Indio, CAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Work, benefits, people
Cons: Union
As GTE no longer exists no use rating. It was a great place to work and I enjoyed each of the jobs I held there. They worked with their employees and did a lot of in house promotions.
Good working enviroment, Good people, good insurance
Building Supervisor (Former Employee), Garland, TxMay 7, 2015
Pros: Good people to work with, Most of the other managers were very helpful
Cons: Lots of windshield time
I held several positions at GTE. R&L Drafter, Customer service, Storeroom helper, Facilities tech and Buildings Supervisor.
Last position my work day would meet with the local building tech and the two local A/C techs. Go over the jobs and see what they have done. I would contact the out of town building tech by phone and go over all items we could by that method. I would travel to his location and go over all items we needed to check physically. I would travel to all buildings on a set but changeable schedule to visually check all items I needed to see. Travelled with managers and engineers to check on problems with buildings, conducted walk throughs for janitorial contracts, lined up contractors and vendors for out of town locations and did the same for newly acquired buildings due to company merger. Management would work with you and see that you had all the help you needed. I had a good group of techs working with me. Hardest part was the going to all the locations that I acquired with the merger. This included the area from the Oklahoma border to Glen Rose and Fairfield. I had a small telephone switch building in the town of, yes, Telephone. I did get to see a lot of the country.
Hard Work and Freedom to perform your job
Journeyman Cable Splicer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 16, 2015
Pros: Good Management and great co-workers
Cons: none
Great Company with customer always in mind .Service unsurpassed in the industry .he outside plant is kept at peak performance . And quality is really job one.
The work environment was outstanding
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Waltham, MAApril 5, 2015
Pros: Environment, benefits, schooling, staff all outstanding.
Cons: Downsizing was ongoing.
I had my own office. The engineers were helpful and courteous and willing to show me new computer program functions. The hardest part of the job was being laid off. I did not want to leave as the Principal Investigator and his staff were friendly and the company had many courses and trips enjoy.
Line Worker / Cable Splicer (Former Employee), Robstown, TXMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Excellent benifits
Cons: short breaks
My day started at 5;30 am driving to work from alice to robstown every day. every day was the same old thing different day. climbed poles every day to setup hardware on poles drill holes by hand to put our bolts to hold up our cable and strand . my manager was a great guy very understanding gentleman. my co workers were the best people I have work for we were like family the hardest part of my job to work during a hurricane. the most enjoyable part of my we traveled a lot to many new places and even worked out of state.
Great company to work for
Coordinator of Resales Customer Service (Former Employee), Durham/ Research Triangle Park, NCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good benefis, salary
Cons: had some micro-managers but did okay
GTE was a great company for which to work. I guess that's why I stayed there for so long. I always felt that the salary and benefits I received was competitive and equal to the job that I performed. GTE offered employees lots of on-the-job training, including Microsoft Office Suite, and project management skills,etc, which have proved useful outside the company. I held several positions in the company and moved up the ladder as I moved into different positions. The majority of my work was customer service and I enjoyed speaking to and helping customers on a daily basis.
I met many people throughout my time at GTE, and made some close life-long friends.
Great company to work for
Customer Service, Sales and Support Associate (Former Employee), Oxnard, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great healthcare
A typical day with be assisting customer with billing questions, setting payment arrangements, placing orders to have service moved, or place order for new service or also place order permanently disconnect service.
Through out my14 years, I meet many folks I still call friends. Of all my different positions, I enjoyed GTE... the best.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee), Las Colinas, TXFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunities
Cons: large number of employee compteing for same opportunities
A fast paced department with about 50 employees. We had a friendly and very nice workplace. All members had a good sense of humor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interaction with the members of the department and the ability to use my own initiative and creativity.

I enjoyed my 14 years with GTE, Genuity, Verison. The company grew and changed names but it was still the strong company that it was in the beginning. Genuity was GTE's venture into the internet. Verison bought GTE. As I moved through the years, I was privileged to know all levels of management.

I was working for Genuity when the division collapsed and closed it's doors.
Great start!
Technical Support for Landline (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: knowledge gained
Cons: long hours
I would troubleshoot landline issues. I also self taught myself to program servers and switches to resolve the issue. That would be the most enjoyable part of the job. My co-workers supported me.
Employment at GTE
GTE Sales Assistant, Major Account Sales (Former Employee), Norwalk, CAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: health insurance and 401k
Cons: layoffs
GTE was a large company that was selective on who they selected for certain types of jobs. Layoffs and attrition were always apart of the corporate experience, therefore it was imperative that I grow within the organization and learn as much as I could. Learning was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great place to work, I loved my job !!
Admin/Traffic clerk (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 28, 2015
I was a payroll/admin clerk, process payroll for 120+ employees. Did scheduling of weekly hours, vacation weeks and personal holiday time. Love working with a diverse group of people and helping them with hours, scheduling vacations, getting passwords and answering everyday payroll/benefits/HR questions. I got along very well with management and all my other co-workers. They closed my office due to lack of work and laid me off.
Great Company
Faciltiy Locater Assigner (Former Employee), Sun Prairie, WIDecember 27, 2014
Pros: great teamwork. family atmosphere. people that cared. provided alot of training.
Cons: mother nature outages.
This company was great to work for. Management cared about the quality of our jobs and customer service. They drilled quality every day and wanted the job done right the first time. The hardest part of the job was with storm outages and the length of time it could take to get service back, but we we all felt proud that we would pull ourselves together and get service restored in a fast and timely manner. Everyday was a learning experience. There was always training to learn new things as technology started to take over and people were always willing to teach you new and easier ways.
A challenging and productive workplace.
Computer Operator (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 2, 2014
Maintaining backups, transmitting data, and vaulting media for offsite storage.