GTM Sportswear

GTM Sportswear Employer Reviews

Small business feel in a constant growing company.
Graphic Artist (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSMarch 12, 2014
Pros: free health clinic, good benefits, steady work
Cons: lack of communication
GTM maintains much of the small town business feel despite it having ~900 employees and sales on the international level. Sometimes the small feel can hurt it though, as it seems there is a lack of communication between departments at times. Overall, I think GTM is a great place to work and I have met many great people working here.
Great place to work, great group of people from owner to machine worker.
Team Lead Embroidery (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSFebruary 28, 2014
Great fun loving atmosphere with exceptional supervisors and workers. Learned much about production order processing, product embellishment, management and company procedure and policy. This is a place where advancement is continuously possible.
A growing company
Graphic Artist (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: health care, free employee clinic
Cons: slow to no pay raises, convoluted management hierarchy
GTM is a growing company that has its ups and downs.

Graphic artist work is not hard at all, and anyone with beginner level proficiency in Adobe Illustrator should be able to do it without difficulty. That said, to learn the other processes and programs required for the position it takes being able to quickly learn new things and adapt to meticulous – more... detail in order to complete the required amount of art projects in a day. It's a numbers job, you complete the art projects, you fill out the sheet, you clock in you clock out. Pretty cut and dry.

This job is a million times better than waiting tables, or working in retail. I don't have many complaints, and those I do are specific to me as a person and do not directly reflect on the company itself.

The health benefits are excellent for pregnant women. Especially if your spouse already has good insurance. – less
Fun Environment
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSJanuary 10, 2014
I liked the people I worked with and was proud of my work. I think that the work environment is safe and efficient. there are many work options at GTM for employment.
Great place to work but more for temporary employees like college kids
Press Support (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: healthcare
Worked third shift 11pm-7am. I learned all the different things that go into screen printing images onto shirts, pants, etc. The best part of the job are my co workers. They made nights go by fast.
Alienated Work Environment with No Support
Sales Rep (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSDecember 16, 2013
Pros: very independent work environment
Cons: no support or good communication from direct report
It's hard to take vacation hours. You may hear from your boss, if you're lucky, once a week. There is no support from your boss or upper management. When you ask for help you don't get it. The co-workers are the best part of the job. Expect the same results as other reps are having with less resources and support. No encouragement or recognition when – more... you are doing well, but lots of backlash when you fall behind or are having a rough period of time. They say they like to hire from within and encourage advancement, but it doesn't happen. They are known to hire people that are less qualified in experience and education than the people they are managing. – less
People great, work not so much
Creative Director | Staff Photographer (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSAugust 12, 2013
Pros: challenged, creative freedom, environment, flexible hours
Cons: biased, management
I developed the marketing department from its humble beginings for 9 years. During a difficult time in my personal life, I had to make some decisions that would greatly affect myself and my family. In making those decisions, I had to put my family first which did not sit well with manangement, which in turn led to my termination of employment. During – more... my tenure, I had no issues prior. It was a surprise to learn this. – less
Enjoyed the work their
Screen Print Press Operator (Former Employee), Manhattan, KsJuly 5, 2013
Pros: good benefits and pay for the most part
Cons: chemical aroma would get to me sometimes, it is too hot during the summer in screen print dep.
I learned how to embellish images on clothing. The management was okay, except the supervisor was not understanding at times. The job was not hard at all, in fact I loved when we were busy because time went fast. The co-workers there are friendly and I got along with all of them. I enjoyed inking up the screens and setting up for the operator.
Worst Company to Work For
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSJune 27, 2013
Pros: easy to get hired
Cons: healthcare was selective, management, lack of opportunity
Lack of parking, and despite the desired team atmosphere, it just wasn't there. Management was rude, and pushy towards all new comers, and very much immature when handling situations even with longterm employees.
Fun corporate culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSApril 13, 2013
Pros: the hours and pay
Cons: i didn't feel as though i could talk to my managers, they had their favorites, i felt they were a bit discriminatory.
A typical day would be to answer phone calls to either place orders, solve problems or to talk to an sell representative. I learned to take good notes because everytime time a customer called we had to write it on their account on why they called and what it was about so when they called in the future we would know what it was dealing with. Most of – more... the managers were very nice and fun and I felt that I could really come to them if I had a question or I just wanted to talk. The hardest part of the job was making sure all my calls were what the company wanted because they were all recorded and they had a scoring system for each. The most enjoyable part of the job was the company's atmosphere in and outside the office. – less
highly productive not enough employees
embroidery (Former Employee), manhattan, ksFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: the leads are great friendly people
Cons: short staffed
You are expected to be highly productive, yet you never have enough employees. The community has a bad rep with GTM employment so this may never change, possibly get worse. Compensation could be a little more. Be prepared for same exact thing day in day out.
Growing company attempting to balance it's growth while keeping up with the needs of it's current employees.
Embroidery (Current Employee), Manhattan KsFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: potential has been demonstrated and company continues to reinvest.
Cons: overlooking the small details such as minor safety, why they are able to be competitive (starts at the bottom just like gtm did)
Having worked for numerous companies/corporations I am for now intrigued with this company and what it represents today in America. Many jobs offered by this company have been outsourced by competitors to reduce cost of their product; so starting wages here are not bad but employees could be compensated better, high cost of housing/rent in the Manhattan – more... area causes the lower wages to appear even worse.

Employees appear to be fearful of management when it comes to making a decision or mistake which actually reduces production which could be attributed to the average age of the workers. Appears to be a huge disconnect between management and the employees when it comes to company goals. To reinforce this view management served Thanksgiving dinner to the employees and the question was who was that serving? (The same individual telling you to be more productive out from behind the desk)

Numerous minor safety issues which could be a result of the focus on growth but combined these issues could impact that growth and be more costly in the long term.

Pros: GTM is appears to take care of its employees, strives to offer better benefits while maintaining a competitive product. Company expects employees that accept a job for a certain wage to be productive. Having worked union/nonunion jobs prior to GTM I would argue that GTM cares and continues to share with the employees the results of their labor. The flexibility of what GTM has to offer is exactly why I have settled in Manhattan and recommend this community to others. Manhattan is better off because of what GTM represents. Could it be better, of course. Would I purchase stock in the company were it available, saving my pennies. – less
Production Support (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSDecember 27, 2012
fun, fast pace environment. Awsome co-workers and helpful managers.
VARY DIFFICULT ATMOSPHERE
FLOOR (Current Employee), MANHATTAN KSOctober 22, 2012
Cons: can't count
TYPICAL DAY. DOING THE WORK OF TWO GETTING PAID FOR THE WORK OF HALF OF ONE.
Not a Secure Place to Work - not Family Friendly
Accounting (Former Employee), ManhattanOctober 10, 2012
Pros: growth oriented
Cons: no job security, turnover, management turnover, low raises, nepotism
GTM has a history of hiring talented people and suddenly releasing them for no reason. Most of the company direction is dictated by only a couple VP's. The management is fickle and the way they carelessly hire and fire have given them a terrible reputation locally. It happen at all levels of the organization. Janitor to VP...none are secure.

Before – more... you join GTM, I recommend asking around town to see what is the general opinion. You will find that the job comes with high anxiety and the pay is not up par. – less

Megs – November 20, 2012

If you are under 30 you may be fine. If you have no obligations in life that require you keep a secure position in a work place, you will also be fine. As a person somewhat older than that you will be discouraged at the extreme misuse of power by management with a total lack of respect, regardless of a life time of experience. I have no question that the mangement may be well qualified in the tasks they are assigned and devoted to their jobs....but as a team managing PEOPLE they are a failure. The juvenile misuse of power borders abusive!!! The Pay is far below the expectations and the lack of security is not at all worth the risk.

Fun Energetic Place to Work!
Embroidery (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSOctober 3, 2012
Working at GTM allows you to meet different types of people everyday, you're able to work independently or together, and you work in a stress free environment.
good company
Account receivables clerk (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: good co-workers/atmosphere
Cons: parking isn't so good
Good company, but compensation not high enough in some fields.
Great Atmosphere
Web Developer / Supervisor-Ron Moon (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSSeptember 24, 2012
I really enjoy going to work every day. I feel like I get better at my job with every task I take on. I really enjoy all my co-workers as well. The only complaint I have about GTM is getting under paid.
Positive work environment, with supportive employees and managers
Graphic Artist (Current Employee), Manhattan, KSAugust 31, 2012
A typical day at work involves working on arts that are going to be embroidered for our customers. I get a lot of questions from newer artists and sales representatives, and I enjoy helping them understand and solve their problems. I also do "rework." "Rework" is when an art is not sewing correctly. I receive the artwork from the production floor, I – more... analyze the problem, solve it, and return the art to production as quickly as possible (a matter of minutes) so that they may continue to run smoothly. I have learned how to be an amazing multitasker and problem solver. I will work on many different projects at once (today, I worked on the schedule, trained a new artist, helped a newer artist with an order that was giving her trouble, helped sales representatives solve some problems, rework, and updated the employee website). I did all of this while still maintaining an excellent attention to detail. – less
Productive, fun place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSAugust 29, 2012
Pros: flexibility with ones schedule.
Cons: standing for an entire shift.
The hardest part of the job would be the standing for 90 percent of the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction and family type of atmosphere. I typical work day consisted of sorting out the days orders and cleaning the machines to maintain proper running condition. Management is great, they really work well with your schedule.